Chapter One

Breaking Free
Please log in to read the full chapter

I groaned as I woke up, sifting my hands underneath the pillow carelessly as I looked for the alarm that was going off.

Aha. Found it.

I swiped my thumb across the screen as the alarm finally shut up, and closed my eyes. 

Little did I know, I slept in an extra fifteen minutes, and when I heard my little sister stirring up from her sleep to use the bathroom that connected our two rooms, I glanced up at the clock. 

Crap. It was already 7:15. I knew I shouldn't have slept in. I leaped out of bed, forcing myself to leave its cozy warmth and dragged myself to the cold and daunting tiles of my bathroom floor. 

I didn't want this. This wasn't the life I had chosen for myself. If it were up to me, I would do it. I would ignore what they said, and I would live my life as I wanted it to be. But I possibly couldn't ignore them like that. I knew it and so did they-- I owed a social debt to them, and I was and still am dependent on them. To be honest, although I probably didn't realize it back then, I was afraid to fight for my dream. I was afraid of being indepedent. I was afraid of what it meant to stand up by myself and for myself. 

I didn't want to think about such depressing things in the morning, so I grabbed my phone and started listening to music. My body relaxed as the melody registered in my ears. Music never failed to work wonders.

I ran down the stairs as usual, not eating breakfast. The less time I would have to spend with them, the better. That all-too-familiar suffocating environment bothered me, and I couldn't wait until I could get away from it. 

I slipped on my shoes and announced that I was leaving. My mom tried to give me the short usual speech about how hard I should try at school, but I thanked myself mentally that I had overslept a little and told her I was in a rush. 

Just because I was out of the house didn't mean that I was free though. School wasn't any much better. 

In my opinion, people are really lazy in general. No one cares about how you are as a person, because no one cares enough to look deeper. They just judge based on what they see because that's the only thing their minds have learned how to judge.

They're so shallow. 

I could hear them gossiping about who wore what, who bought what at where, who hooked up with who, and who was smart and who was not. 

Why judge people by their external qualities? I realized a long time ago, that people didn't really care what I had to say at this school. Not unless I was aware of some juicy secret or unless they wanted to know if they could copy my homework or not. 

I'd rather be alone than be with some people who didn't really care for who I truly am. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. No way I was going to risk making the same mistake twice. 

But I didn't notice I was labeling them too-- it never occured to me that not everyone was the same. I was just so sick and tired of it that I fell into the trap. I judged them too. I'm not perfect and at least I can admit it. 

I thought "" to myself when I heard that one girl flirting with a taken boy again. 

I thought "brat" to myself when I saw some rich girl whining about how her daddy wouldn't get her what she wanted again.

I thought "player" when I saw that one guy shooving another girl into the janitor's closet again. 

And the word "delinquent" certainly rang through my mind when I first saw him. 

They labeled me as the "quiet girl." They thought I was nice. Just because I never gossiped about anyone and I sat quietly and almost never spoke... At least to any one of them.

They labeled me as the "goody-two shoes." I did what I was supposed to do. I never went against what the teachers said. 

They labeled me as the "smart one." I was the preferred choice to ask for help. I just didn't want to deal with them, so I usually gave them whatever they wanted. 

They lab

Please log in to read the full chapter