Chapter Two

Breaking Free
Please log in to read the full chapter

To be honest, there's only one thing I'm afraid of in this world. 

I'm afraid that I'll die, that I'll run out of time before I accomplish my dream. 

That can't happen. My dream is the only thing that keeps me going. It's what keeps me alive, even. 

And the fact that my parents oppose it is why I'm still here and not living my dream today. 

So the question is... would I ever break free? 

"Hayul-ah, come greet the guests downstairs." My mom called. 

I rolled my eyes, but got up off my desk, organizing the big pile of homework and other stuff I didn't really give a crap about and shuffled my feet downstairs. 

There was a couple a little bit older than my parents downstairs sitting on the couch.

Although I didn't really know who they were, I bowed 90 degrees and greeted them. "Ahnyeonghaseyo, my name's Halle." 

They chuckled and my parents nodded, gesturing me to sit down with them. 

"This is Mr. and Mrs. Lu, Hayul-ah. We actually graduated from the same college as they did. We were college friends and now they are CEOs of a Chinese software program." my parents droned on. 

I nodded and smiled politely. I didn't want to offend them even though I really didn't care. 

"Your daughter is so pretty!" They exclaimed. I inwardly rolled my eyes. Here comes the next question. 

"Which college do you want to go to?" I knew it. I knew they were going to ask me this.

Does the name of which college I want to go really represent all I am? Korea, whatever happened to the idea of a holisitic education? Oh yeah, this isn't the states anymore. 

I faked a smile and answered them anyways. "I want to attend Columbia University." I said stiffly. I could feel my parents nodding and beaming at my choice. Of course they would be pleased to hear I wanted to attend an ivy league. It would soothe their fears of me breaking free and living out my own dream. 

But that was a complete lie. If it was up to me... If I did completely have control of my own life, I would scratch all of this and go straight to an arts school. Berklee school of music, Julliard, or whatever, I wouldn't go to some conventional prestigious college. 

But society wouldn't allow that... would they? 

Nor did I have the willpower to even spell out "no" to society. I was underneath its trap.

"Oh, Columbia!" They gasped as they seemed to be impressed. "Actually, our son is the valedictorian at Yonsei university. He should be here any minute." The Lu's replied. 

Ugh. I did not want to meet their son. Rich people and their judgmental ways. Another reason why I was so fed up with society. 

"Oh yes, honey, we should get dinner set up!" My mom exclaimed. 

My dad laughed. "You mean you should while I entertain the Lu's?" 

At that moment... he came in. 

He was really handsome. He had a bronze tint to his soft brown locks. 

He was really pale. His skin was snow white. 

He looked really young. There was no way he was in college. He looked twelve for crying out loud. 

He had really pretty eyes. I think he might have-- well no, scratch that, he definitely would have made a better girl than me. 

No wonder the Lu's seemed so pretenti

Please log in to read the full chapter