Chapter 7

The Pawn

Sleep slowly slipped into reality. His ears which had heard nothing for some time once again started to pick up sounds from the outside world. He heard a faint rumbling nearby, it felt like the sound should have been loud but was being muffled by something. He expected to wake up to light shinning through his eyelids but they remained pitch black. Then came the feeling of something hard and cold underneath his cheek. He was laying on cloth of some kind... it almost felt like denim, but beneath it instead of warm human flesh it seemed like there was concrete... or marble, living marble. His eyes shot open as he shot up, hitting his head on some sort of ceiling. Tenderly touching his throbbing head he surveyed his surroundings. He was in a car, it was night, and he was surrounded once again by vampires. Beside him the queen chuckled, her laughter of silver bells filling the small space. Lasil sat on the other side of him looking very displeased. He started to move toward the other side of the limo when he noticed two other vampires in the seats opposite them, also not looking very happy. Slowly he sank back into his seat between the queen and Lasil. "Finally, you are awake." The queen sang, "Humans do sleep forever." She looked at him seriously, "Did you have a good rest?" Her eyes burrowed into his setting his insides on fire. Those perfect eyes, in that perfect face. Her smile widened and the fire that had started in his stomach exploded. He leaned in wanting, no, needing to taste those lips again. So soft, so pink...A soft growl coming from Lasil jarred Junki from his thoughts. He jerked his head back and away from the queen as if those lips he had just been fantasizing about had turned to poison. As Junki sank back again into his seat the queen shot a warning glance at Lasil, who shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

 Junki closed his eyes again. He had been around vampires every moment of the last couple days. He found himself struggling to keep his nerves under control. He still didn't trust anyone but the queen, Lasil, and Zee... but even them he trusted only to a certain extent. I mean how much can you trust monsters, beautiful though they may be. “Where are we going?” Junki asked his eyes still closed. The image of one of the vampires lunging for him then ripping open his throat flashed behind his closed eyelids. He opened his eyes, deciding he would rather see them coming then be caught by surprise if they did attack.

 There was a moment of silence as everyone looked to the queen. Their eyes stared, waiting to see if she would answer the human. The queen sighed a bored sigh and motioned for Lasil to answer. Lasil growled again as he answered, “To the queen’s favorite palace.”

 Junki shivered, he could only imagine what it must look like, a giant gothic castle dark, cold and crawling with the undead creatures. The queen burst out laughing. Junki looked at her with confusion, what was so funny? He looked at the other vampires in the car, the all were acting like it was normal for the queen to do these random things and infact the look on there faces were one’s of pleasure. For several moments they sat listening to the silver belled laughter that filled the car. The sound was intoxicating. Not only that but being so close to her Junki couldn’t help but take in her indescribably sweet scent with every breath. His knees trembled as the need to be with her started again to burn at his stomach and spread through his veins. His hands balled into fists and he squeezed his eyes shut willing the feeling to stop, willing the fire in his body to cool.

 “We’ll be there soon.” The queen whispered in his ear.

 

 

Junki had only to wait another hour or so for his first sight of the palace. Although he couldn't tell much from a distance, he could tell it was well lit. Biting his lip, he figured he'd ask the queen or Zee about that.

The queen raised an eyebrow. Apparently she had read his mind, or at least guessed his thoughts, again, and was amused by the question. She did not answer it, however. Sighing, Junki figured he'd have to get used to that idea. The queen chuckled, and the other vampires made no motion.

When they reached the front gates, Junki was too busy taking in the sights to worry about his questions. There were electric lamps on each side, which looked like they used to be old gaslights. For all Junki knew, they probably were the original gaslights and over the years someone had put in electricity. That was the only décor set against what looked like a white concrete wall covered with moss and vines. The two gates swung open on well-oiled hinges to admit them. The pillars that the gates swung from were also white, but there was a statue on the top each one that Junki couldn't make out. The road stayed paved, and circled in on itself. Junki remembered from some history class that the reason older driveways were curved was for easier travel via carriage.

The whole path was lit with the same type of lighting. Junki could see where some of the hedges stopped, or had openings directly from the driveway. Although the actor was no expert on foliage, it looked like there were quite a few flowering trees and plants as well. He didn't think twice of the fact that he was seeing most of these blooms at night.

At the front entrance, the car stopped and the other two vampires stepped out to help the queen. They left Junki to fend for himself, but Lasil pulled him out somewhat forcibly. “Do not lose your control in the presence of someone besides the queen again,” he hissed. “The only reason my vanguard did not kill you then and there was because I did nothing to indicate they should. I tell you this for more than just your safety.”

Shaken, Junki nodded and swallowed a gulp. Eying him, Lasil asked “are you going to rupture again? The queen told me that humans do that.”

Managing a weak chuckle, Junki shook his head. “No. I-I will need to eat though. Unless you want me falling down every chance I get.”

“I will arrange something. Come-the queen instructed me to take you to your quarters.”

Lasil didn't talk the rest of the way, which left Junki to absorb the sights. Tan sandstone lined the walls, broken up with panels of dark cloth. On each piece, there was a scene depicted in it with thread. Junki didn't have time to look at all of them, since Lasil set a quick pace. He followed the vampire through the hallways, which were also tan sandstone. Along these walls were more lamplights, and every third or fourth light there was a nook that held a vase full of flowers. It reminded Junki more of going to an old theatre or opera house, as opposed to a vampiric castle.

Lasil stopped at a door, plain except for the scrollwork along the edges. “This will be your room. Each door in this part of the palace had a different pattern. Remember this one.” Opening the door, Lasil motioned for him to go in.

Junki stepped in, and was amazed by the simple beauty of the room. Along with a large, handsome oak canopy bed, there was also a small couch with matching armchair. These were centered around a wood-burning fireplace, and there was a long coffee table in front of it. The walls were the same stone, but had long leaves and strands of grass painted onto it.

“These will be your companions,” Lasil's voice interrupted. Turning, Junki was surprised to find a human woman, about thirty years old, standing comfortably next to a vampire that could have stepped out of One Thousand and One Arabian Nights. “This is Tonia and Ra'Kei'Em. They will stay with you for now. The queen will tend to you later.”

Lasil nodded to his servants and walked a few paces out of the room, almost refusing to heed the plea of 'wait!' Lasil bit back a growl. He was not the Lisse's game-hound, to come when he called! However, he wanted to keep the queen happy. Turning to face the human, Lasil motioned for him to continue.

“Do I have to stay here? Can I explore? Can I get food?”

“You will stay in certain areas of the palace. Tonia knows where they are, and Ra'Kei'Em will be watching from a distance. He has never failed me. You may explore to an extent, again, Tonia will assist you. And yes. I'm sure Tonia will assist you with that as well.”

Junki smiled genuinely and bowed. “Thank you, Lasil.”