Chapter 5

The Pawn

“I win? But-”

“That is enough, Lisse'. It's time to sleep.”

Junki never even remembered going back to his pillow. Why wouldn’t she answer? What does that mean? Am I going to die? Junki wanted to shout at her, “Don’t play with me, if you are going to kill me just do it!” He was already sick of worrying for his life and the deadly game the vampires were playing with him. He rested his swirling head on the cushion. All he remembered after that was dreaming of flutes and deadly smiling faces that slipped away like clouds.

When he awoke, the queen was watching him intently. Sighing, she considered the human in front of her. She had a look on her face like she wasn't sure what to make of him. Perhaps she was still thinking of their game and his last question.

Indeed the queen was lost deep in thought over the human before her and his fate. She felt sorry for the human, his frail body still black and blue from the beating he had taken last night. Her dark thoughts reflected on her face, Aaron’s attack on him last night wouldn’t be the last. Not only mix-bloods had heard the bedtime tales of the Lisse’ Agar and its power but all vampires had.

A soft knock interrupted her musings. “My queen?” Lasil's voice drifted through the wood. “Were you expecting the Dalach?” Junki was still unsure of how to read the vampires, but he saw a small twitch appear then disappear in her left cheek. Usually, in human faces, it was a sign of irritation.

She answered, “I had been hoping he would go ahead to the palace.”

“And miss a chance to see the Lisse' Agar?” an unfamiliar voice sounded from behind the door.

“Dalach,” growled Lasil, “remember who you are in the presence of.”

“Come in, both of you.” The queen rolled her eyes in a very human gesture of annoyance, perhaps thinking it better to have them in the room than making a spectacle of themselves in the corridor.

Junki looked with interest at the new vampire who entered behind Lasil. Until now he had been at the hands of large brutish ones and had also been enthralled by the beauty of many more. This one was not as breathtaking as the queen or Lasil, but, though rather plain looking standing beside the other two, he still possessed a beauty that was unearthly. One thing did set him apart though, his eyes. His right was a glacial blue, freezing Junki to the core with it’s stare. The other was a brown so light it was almost golden. His soot black hair was longer than was fashionable, but other than that he could have passed as a businessman.

“Must you wear those human suits in our presence?” Lasil asked the newcomer distastefully.

“Lasil, remember.” The queen defended, “The Dalach chooses to walk amongst the humans far more often than we do.” Junki noticed an almost envious tone in her musical voice when she said the last part.

Bowing, the other vampire dared to smirk as he addressed their ruler. “Thank you, my queen. As long as the one I serve is aware of my actions.” Then he added, “I am perfectly happy to wear business suits.”

Junki frowned. Is this another one of their games?

“Perhaps we should change your title from 'Dalach' to 'Dolish'ke?'” Lasil suggested cordially. It was obvious that Lasil did not care for this other vampire but whether it was a dislike of him personally or whatever his business was at the palace, Junki did not know.

“That is the decision of the queen.”

“Enough. Both of you.” the queen’s voice took on a hard official tone as she motioned to Junki. “This is the Lisse' Agar, Lee Junki. Junki, this is our Dalach.” She looked at Junki, “You will address him as such.”

The Dalach cut in rather boldly, “With your permission, my queen, he may call me Zee.”

“Zee?” Junki asked before he could stop himself. The humanness of the name as well as the idea of using it when addressing the monster struck him as funny. Despite the rise in the nausea that had been his constant companion these last couple days he spoke again. “Is that your title then? Dally loch?”

“Dalach. Dah-lock.” The queen corrected. Eying the mismatched vampire, the queen looked towards the door. “Lasil?”

Junki thought the queen’s regard for Lasil was obvious. She didn’t need to ask Lasil for permission for Junki to call the Dalach by the name Zee, but she did. For a brief moment he sensed an air of intimacy between the queen and her … or maybe, he just didn’t get how vampires thought and acted, which was quite possible.

Lasil huffed, “Fine. In your palace though, away from public ears. Not in front of everyone. There are enough problems as it is.”

Although Junki was desperate to ask what he meant, the queen nodded. “Very well. Lisse', you may address our Dalach as Zee, but privately. Otherwise you shall address him by his title.” Looking at Zee, the queen narrowed her eyes again. “And what brings you here? Lasil, stay with the Lisse'. I need to talk to the Dalach briefly.”

“My queen,” both vampires bowed.

Junki watched with interest as the queen and the Dalach left, closing the door behind them. “What-what's a Dalach?” he asked tentatively. Lasil, at least, had shown him a small bit of kindness the night before.

Lasil frowned. “An, historian, I believe? The word is so old, the actual meaning has been lost. Dalachs acted as historians, though.”

Junki didn't miss the use of the past tense. “Acted? Aren't there a lot left?”

Lasil glared down at him. “You're very curious.”

Junki stiffened, but caught a flash of humor in the other's eyes. “Were… Did you just joke with me?”

“Humans are more receptive to humor, aren't they? Or did that fool Dalach get that wrong?”

“Why are you here, Zee?” the queen demanded.

“As I said, mi reina, I am here to see the Lisse'.”

At the queen's raised eyebrow, Zee smiled. “I came to see if Lasil's human interactions had improved any.”

The queen dropped the eyebrow but crossed her arms. “Dalach. What. Are. You. Doing. Here?”

Sighing, Zee bowed again, dropping his two-toned eyes to the ground. “I was traveling back to the palace, but I stopped to see one of the lesser nobility. I arrived just before a courier came, announcing the arrival of the Lisse' Agar. I started here right away.”

The queen frowned, but with softer edges. “Where did you stay during the day?”

“I am very good at hiding, mi reina.”

No longer frowning, the queen looked thoughtful. “He was a gift from the Korean coven. Where were you, at this house of lower nobility that was not here to greet the Lisse' initially?”

“My queen, you trust me to guard our history to protect our future. Believe me when I say this nobility is nothing to concern yourself with. He is not a threat to you or any other purebloods.”

“I am to assume he’s a threat to mix-bloods, then?”

Zee smiled thinly. “At one point he may have been. No longer though.”

The queen shook her head, and placed her hand on Zee's face to signal him to stand. “I do not understand why you remain tucked in your books and in your fascination with the human world. I am sure you would make a much better Whisper-Walker.”

After a few more moments, Junki was starting to get uncomfortable again. When the queen and the historian returned, he relaxed ever so slightly. The queen had numerous chances to kill him, but had not. She had actually saved him once, as well. So far she was the only one he felt mildly at ease with for long periods of time. A thought which in itself worried him.

“Lasil, come. We have our goodbyes to begin. Zee will stay with the Lisse' for now.”

After the others had left, Zee looked at Junki with a mirrored interest. “Well then.” Yawning, he stretched and sat on the floor near the edge of the queen's bed. Motioning to Junki's pillow, he asked “why not have a seat? I'm much more talkative than Lasil. Most of his talk is reserved for the queen.”

Junki slowly sat down, but edged as far away as he could. “Can we play a game? It's called Twenty Questions.”

Zee visibly brightened. “Oh! Each person asks questions of the other, yes? Twenty for each? Yes, we should play this.”

Junki was unsettled by the enthusiasm shown by the other vampire. Well, in for a nickel, in for a dime. “What was that other word Lasil used? Doe-?”

“Doe-leash-kay. Dolishke. It means, well, jester or comedian I suppose.” Motioning towards Junki again, Zee continued. “Do you have a title, then? Or something similar?”

Junki blinked. That was a completely different question than he had been expecting. The queen wanted to know more about humans in general. This one wanted to know more about him. “No. I'm an actor, but it's not a title. It's my job.” This might not be so bad, then. “Is 'Zee' short for anything?”

The historian grinned. “Zahalani Mikhail Acuevas di Newkhasic. So, 'Zee.'”