Chapter 6

The Pawn

The queen glided down the hall Lasil at her side. She glanced out of the corner of her eye at the man beside her. He was a rare gem among vampires. At 300 he was ancient for a mixed blood. Most mixed bloods, who’s human blood rebelled against eternity, often descended into a type of madness as the centuries passed. Their minds couldn’t withstand the stagnation of everlasting life and they either ended up killing themselves or becoming such a danger to both the vampire and human worlds that they had to be put down. But not Lasil, he was still as strong and handsome inside as he was outside.

Lasil’s hand brushed hers bringing her out of her thoughts. “What are you thinking about… my queen?” he asked not turning to face her.

She straightened her gaze toward the hall. “The human.” She lied.

There was a few moments of silence and then, “Have you decided what to do with him?”

A sigh, sad yet resolved escaped her perfect lips, “Yes.”

Another couple of silent steps passed between them. “I wish I could read your mind.” Lasil stated, his own voice a little morose sounding.

“It’s not that interesting.”

They stopped at the entrance to the ballroom from the night before. They could hear mumblings the nobles and coven leaders from where they stood. The queen took a moment to adjust her dress as Lasil lingered a few feet behind her. He would not be at her side for this as it was not proper for a mixed blood, noble as he may be, to dare such familiarity and equality with a pureblood and walk or stand beside them. Though, she felt a little more lonely without hi by her side she was grateful to have him at her back knowing that in the den of thieves and liars they were about to enter at least her back would be safe.

“Ready.” She said more to herself and for herself than anyone else. Raising her chin she stepped into the ballroom.

The murmurings stopped instantly upon her entry. But the noise in her head was deafening. Thoughts of disdain and malcontent reached her like a putrid scent spoiling everything it touched and overpowering the sweet smell of acceptance and pleasure. The queen had to fight the urge to wrinkle her nose.

Walking into the room she smiled politely as the crowd before her bowed. “Ladies, gentlemen, please.” She motioned for them to straighten, they did.

The first to approach her was the mix-blood incharge of the Korean and Japanese Coven. He bowed again and took her hand kissing her fingers lightly. “Long life to you, my queen.” Evil wench…  his thoughts whispered in her mind. He straightened looking her in the eyes… well as much as any mix-blood could look at a pureblood in the eyes. “What have you done with the Lisse Agar?” His voice sounded almost accusing before he quickly added. “I hope you enjoyed him.”

She knew everything he was thinking. He hoped that she had killed him and by doing so would create rumors that the queen was too scared of the human and her subjects to keep him alive. She would also be deemed as a tyrant for destroying the symbol of mix-blood’s dreams of equality with the purebloods. Either way killing him would be bad… but was it worth the risk of keeping him alive? The queen shook her head, “He is still alive Dorthain.” She smiled inwardly at his silent, Crap. “But yes, I am enjoying him. I owe a great deal to your coven for discovering him and bringing him to me. I shall never forget your gift.” Sarcasm almost dripped from the word in her mind but maintained a sincere tone as it floated in the air between the two vamps.

 Dorthain smiled a sadistic smile before bowing a third time then leaving, sending a slight scowl towards Lasil. Traitor. He hated the queen’s . Lasil had once been apart of his Coven and a very high ranking Noble. Being the son of the previous covenant leader he had been their heir but had given it all up to serve the queen. It was no secret that the Japanese/Korean Coven was anti purebloods and especially anti queen so Lasil’s choice to leave the coven had been a major betrayal. So much so that it actually sent his father over the edge and he had to be put down. Whenever Dorthain looked at Lasil his mind was a mixture of anger, hatred and gratitude for him leaving, making room for Dorothain to become the new leader. Hatred and gratitude, a weird combination that always left funny footprints in the queen’s mind.

The next guest, a short Chinese vampire took her hand and kissed it quickly before saying, “I for one wish he was dead.”

“Kalath.” This time it was a genuine smile that lighted her features.

The pureblood smiled back.

 

 

“Do you have any nicknames?”

Junki shook his head. “No. I always wanted one though.”

Zee’s mouth twitched upward. “Perhaps I can arrange something. Your turn for a question, I believe?”

“Are dalachs important?”

Zee was silent. “Not anymore,” he answered softly. “Dalachs were part of a coven that existed centuries ago. After the covens merged, dalachs started dying out. Vampires don’t cling to their histories as much as humans do. As it is, to have a dalach under your reign is, ah, ‘a smirch to the name,’ I believe the phrase goes.”

Junki blinked. “Wow. I didn’t know that. After the covens merged? How long-“

Zee held up a finger. “I get a question first.” Humming, Zee thought about it. “Are you a famous actor?”

Junki rubbed the back of his neck. “I.. well…., yes especially in my country and other countries in Asia. How long ago did the covens get merged?”

“About a thousand years ago. No vampire you meet now will remember it. Which country is yours? I’ve been travelling in India, recently.”

“Korea.” Junki was silent. He still had questions, but it was far more than twenty like the game was based on. “How many covens are there now?”

Zee raised an eyebrow. It was an odd sight, since it accentuated the difference in his eyes. “You are very curious. That’s good, I suppose. There are ten. With the queen’s permission, I’ll show you a map when we return to the palace. Is your curiosity natural?”

Junki slumped. “No. But given I don’t know what’s going to happen, I figured I may as well make the best of my time. Besides, I may direct a movie about it one day.”

Zee snorted, holding back a burst of laughter. “Well, you have a good attitude, at least.” Seeing the crestfallen expression, he continued in a softer voice. “Your turn for a question.”

“How old are you?”

“245.” At Junki’s look of disbelief, Zee elaborated. “I’m actually lucky to be as old as I am. Mix-bloods normally don’t live past 150 or so. And you?”

“29. Do you have kids?”

Zee did laugh this time. “Oh no. I have Ma’qua, newly turned humans, that follow me around. That’s enough. Why do you want to know?”

Junki shrugged. “You’re being nice. I thought maybe you had a kid you had to be nice to. Why don’t mix-bloods live past 150?”

“Because they talk to much…” The queen’s voice came from the doorway. Walking into the room the air immediately became heavy with disdain and something else. The presence of raw power seeped from her skin filling the space and putting Junki on edge. He had never felt anything like it, it was like they were sitting in a room full of explosive gases and electricity just waiting for the tiniest spark to ignite and set the world ablaze. His nerves tingled and he found it hard to breath. The nausea in Junki’s stomach erupted as the energy increased pushing the oxygen out of the room and his lungs. He gasped.

“My queen…” Zee’s voice made it’s way slowly through the nearly palpable air. It sounded labored and Junki wondered if, being a vampire, the Doloch could feel what was happening more than he was feeling it himself. If he did then his body didn’t show it. “…the human.” His words must have found their way to the queen because in an instant the atmosphere returned to normal and Junki could breath again.

What happened? What was that?Junki was about to ask these very questions but he didn’t have to.

“Purebloods and especially the queen’s and king’s are so powerful that they have to hide that power behind a glamour.” Zee said coolly. A shudder went through Junki’s body at the thought of what something could do with so much power. He didn’t know the queen and he didn’t know the other purebloods and he didn’t trust them. The bitemarks on his neck throbbed.

The queen had a truly embarrassed look on her exquisite face, “I’m sorry. I forgot myself for a moment.” 

He thought of all the innocent people who had probably died and were dieing to give these creatures life and the millions more who were living their lives oblivious to the monsters in their midst. He knew there and then that there was no way he was ever getting out of this alive. All of a sudden all the adrenaline that had kept up all night disappeared. The reality of the night before and his situation now hit him hard. Fatigue, fear and hopelessness flooded him. He puked.

The Doloch jumped up from his seat on the cushion fast a lightning to avoid the splatter of stomach acid that sprayed from his mouth and onto the floor splashing when it hit the cold floor. Luckily, he hadn’t eaten anything for the last day and so there wasn’t much in the way of content or color in his vomit.

The queen looked truly horrified. “It just ruptured!” she whispered. Junki collapsed backward onto the cushion. “Is it supposed to do that?” she asked walking over to the Doloch but never looking away from the human.. Junki lifted his hand to wipe his mouth on his sleave.

“It’s not a good thing, but it is normal for them.” Zee answered very scholarly like though he checked his shoes and pant legs for any sign of the offending stomach substance. “Humans can vomit for several reasons, sickness, fear, even over-exertion. 

“Is it sick?” her gaze turned to wonder now rather than concern as she continued to look at the human who now lay, eyes closed and curled up into a tiny ball. Junki had to laugh. Of all the options reasons the Doloch had given her she had picked the one that didn’t apply. His laugh made both the vampires stare.

The Doloch stepped towards Junki who flinched but didn’t open his eys as the vampire placed his hand on the human’s forehead. “I don’t think so.” Zee smiled at Junki then the queen rather amused by the situation.

“Good.” She looked confused. Obviously she had no idea what was wrong with Junki and why the Doloch had touched his forehead before answering her. The human had fallen asleep. Shaking her head she cleared her thoughts, “Lasil has gone to prepare for our departure. Let him sleep for now. We will leave soon,” she kept here eyes on the human, “and he going to need his strength.”

“How do we transport him?” Lasil asked, entering the room.

Zee hummed slightly. Unlike most vampires, that was his favorite method of trying to think. It was only a matter of chance that Zee discovered it annoyed Lasil. “Probably clean out one of the wagons and put some blankets and pillows down. I think humans get cold when they travel. At least, when they’re asleep. “

“We can’t have it getting cold, now, do we?” the queen asked, derision slipping into her measured voice.

Mi reina, your glamour.” It was a sign of how uncomfortable Zee was that he used that name in another’s presence. Lasil knew the name, and that it simply meant ‘my queen,’ but the Doloch usually only addressed her as such when they were talking amongst themselves. Zee also knew that was the only reason Lasil tolerated it-Lasil didn’t hold with familiar titles in the public view.

  The queen rubbed her forehead. “Be easy, Zahalani. We will depart soon. Lasil, meet me by the wagons with the Doloch and the Lisse’. I must have a word with someone before we leave.”

After she left, Zee raised an eyebrow in the other vampire’s direction. “Someone insulted her?”

Lasil shook his head, sighing. “Not quite. They came close enough that she felt our welcome had been overdrawn, though. I believe she’ll be speaking to Kailintha about that, though.”

Both Zee’s eyebrows went up in an expression of shock “Kailintha is here? I thought she never left the Chinese coven?”

Lasil shrugged. “But she will for the queen. You know that. The queen didn’t tell me all the details, but apparently the guests were becoming…suggestive about the Lisse’, even though it was their own coven that had presented him.”

“Ah. A gift that they did not want to part with?”

Lasil narrowed his eyes. “I know you are not so foolish as to think otherwise. This conversation is pointless.”

“Be at peace, Lasil,” Zee intervened. “My thoughts just need confirmation.” Smiling coldly, he brushed off his suit one more time. “It is no fault of my own if the Ma’qua keep me informed of the happenings of their covens.”

Lasil looked at the Doloch with a hard look in his eyes. “Are you sure you’re not a Whisper Walker? You act like it.”

“I’m an historian. I gather knowledge. Besides, it’s not like our spymaster asks me for help.”

No,Lasil thought, but he might be wise to.