The Comeback

Sweet Disaster

 

I took a deep breath as the cool wind blew on my face.

Another year. Last year of my college life. The only problem I had was the thesis project that would probably be tougher than anything I have encountered in my whole existence.

That’s just a little exaggeration of course. I knew it was going to be hard, but who cares? I’m graduating and my parents promised me they’ll let me do anything I like after I graduate.

And the very first thing on my list? Be a famous pianist.

But I’m still wishing they keep their promise this time.

 “Eun-ah!” I heard my friend called. I turned around to face her as she slowly walks towards me on the rooftop of our school building.

“Eo, Bona-yah?” She grinned.

“I knew you’d be here. I’ve been looking for you! Wait, you’ll be in the same group as me for the thesis project right?” She looked at me hopefully. I beamed at her and nodded.

“Of course, what will happen to you without me?” I joked, earning a playful smack on the shoulder.

“Your confidence is annoying sometimes. Come on, we’ll be late for the first period.” She pouted and smiled, dragging me off the rooftop by the arm.

 

 

“Aish, her again? I really don’t like her! Why does she have to be the teacher for the most important subject of the year?? Ugh!” Bona tried to keep her voice down as she rants beside me, her eyes focused on the middle-aged woman, that have a little resemblance with a falcon, talking in front of the class.

I didn’t like her either. She almost failed me on my most important subject last year. I had to kneel in front of her so my parents wouldn’t take my piano away from me. That was the most dreadful thing that ever happened to me. Well, at least that was the most vivid memory at the moment.

“Me too, Okay? We don’t have a ch—“

“Annyeonghaseyo, Sorry I’m late.” The room fell silent and everyone turned, including me and Bona. A familiar boy was standing at the door yanking his backpack and was smiling to everyone. His eyesmile was so familiar that I suddenly felt nervous.

“I almost forgot, well you see we have a new student. Come in and introduce yourself, boy.” Our falcon looking teacher stood aside to let him stand in front. He confidently walked up to the front.

Since me and Bona always sat at the very last row of all the seats in the classroom, I was really having a hard time trying to recognize his face. But I’m 200 percent sure I saw him somewhere.

“Annyeong, I’ve been a student here before so maybe some of you recognize me. My name is Byun Baekhyun. It’s nice to be here again.”

I blinked once and focused on his face.

“B-b-byun B-b-baekhyun?” I repeated his name as I stutter. The memories of my adolescence slowly came back to haunt me.

Exactly two years ago, I was an ordinary student. Well, I’ve never been any different until now because I really don’t like attention drawn to me.

First day of my sophomore years, it was the best day for me back then.

Byun Baekhyun. The most beautiful creature God has ever created, passed by me while I was on the way to the cafeteria to meet my best friend Cha Bona. After that day my life had been really, really, really exciting if the name Baekhyun was involved.

I became an obsessed fan girl loving a person who didn’t even know about my existence. I stalked him on my free time. I even knew all the names of his friends: Park Chanyeol, Kim Joonmyun, Oh Sehun, Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo. I knew his schedule: We’ve never been in the same class. I knew what time he comes to school every day and I know that he was a total playboy and a little bit popular at school, along with his friends.

It hurts the most when I see him talking to random girls but I believed that someday he will notice me and come up to me on his own.

I was experiencing puberty and I was innocent back then.

I was truly thankful when he disappeared the next year. No one knew where he went except his friends but they never once talked about it, even amongst themselves. I used to stalk them too, trying to get information of his whereabouts. But I ended up getting tired and just thankful he was now gone. No one ever remembered me being the girl who confessed to him in public.

 

-FLASHBACK-

I held the bouquet of flowers tightly on my hands, feeling the loud beating of my heart beneath my chest.

This is now or never. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, asking for guidance from cupid. Please! Please! Please! Be good to me.

Bona tried to stop me as I stood up from our table and approached the other table in the corner of the cafeteria. It was full of boys laughing and goofing around each other.

My cool Baekhyun was there, watching his friends as he laughed along.

I gulped as I was getting closer. The boys around the table started to notice me approaching and looked at me in a weird way.

I stopped, just a foot away from Baekhyun who was looking up at me in wonder. He glanced at his friends and back to me.

“B-b-baekhyun-oppa…” I began, my saliva almost caught in my throat.

“Nae?” He asked tilting his head in the cutest way I could ever imagine. I was slowly dying.

“L-lee Eun imnida. I like you!! Please accept my heart!!” I tried to pull up some courage from the very bottom of my chest, but I ended up yelling and pushing the bouquet right to his face.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

I mentally knocked my head. I was trying to forget that moment but it kept playing in my imagination as if mocking me.

“Eun-ah, don’t you think he’s familiar? The transfer?” I almost jumped when Bona started to elbow me. Her eyes were fixed on our teacher who was already half-way on her lesson.

I winded my eyes at her and pursed my lips.

“Are you mocking me? Of course he’s familiar!” I was trying not to yell. Bona looked at me and cracked up. She knew exactly who the person I’ve been obsessed been for over a year.

“I thought you wouldn’t remember him. How long did you cry when he told you in front of everyone that ‘you’re not my type’?” She said, trying to imitate a manly voice. I almost wanted to murder her but that would only make me look affected. It still hurts of course! He was my first love and it was the first time I’ve ever been rejected.

“That doesn’t matter. I’ll just avoid him forever.” I frowned. I will do that. I’m sure he doesn’t remember me at all anyway. That’s right.

Thirty minutes before the class ended when our teacher decided to let us choose our group members for the thesis project. As of the moment, it was just me and Bona in the group because we don’t actually know anyone in class except each other.

“Can we just work alone? I mean just the two of us? I’m sure we can handle that if we work hard.” I suggested. Actually I’m not that smart, I’m not even confident I can start this thesis with just the two of us. Bona crossed her arms and glared at me.

“Are you suicidal? Besides, this is not the only subject I have! We could use those two members we need.” I sighed.

“Excuse me.”

“What?!” Bona yelled as she turned around. “Oh...” She breathes.

Park Chanyeol, one of Baekhyun’s closest friends was smiling down at us awkwardly. I didn’t notice him being in the same class as us. I smiled back at him.

“Sorry did I disturb you?” He asked rubbing his hands together.

“Err…no no.” I replied, he gave me a hopeful smile.

“Do you two need more members? I heard you talking so I figured you need more members for your group.” Bona’s eyes brighten as she whirled around to face Chanyeol.

“Of course we need more members, two exactly. By the way sorry for yelling at you. It was meant for her.” She pointed at me, suddenly kind and lively. I slapped her finger and turned back to Chanyeol.

“So are you joining us? We would be happy.” He beamed at me excitedly and clapped his hands.

“But is it alright if I let my friend join too? So that there’s exactly four if us to work together.” He asked. Bona nodded in enthusiasm.

“Good, I’ll tell him.” Chanyeol left just when Bona turned to me.

“Isn’t that Baekhyun’s friend?” She frowned. I gasped when I realized again that Baekhyun was in the same class.

“I have to tell him we already got a new member.” I tried to stand up and catch up to Chanyeol but Bona hugged me around my waist.

“Noooooo! He’s actually gorgeous just let me get to know him!”

“Who? Baekhyun??!”

“No! Chanyeol!!”

“You want me to die of humiliation??” I tried to get free from her hug but she was holding me so tight.

“You said you’re not affected anymore! Let me have Chanyeol!!!”

“Noooooooooooooooooooo!”

“Ladies are you alright?” Bona immediately removed her hands around me and faked a laugh.

“Of course! I was just showing her how much I love her! That’s all! HAHAHA!” She continued slapping my back and whispering me to turn around. I slowly did but kept my head down.

“Ah, this is Baekhyun. You know? The new student?” Chanyeol introduced. I didn’t even dare to look up. What if he remembers me? Even if I used to wear eyeglasses doesn’t mean my appearance changed, didn’t it?

I felt like I was being burned at the moment. My sweat ran down my back. I went back to my sit and stared at the table. I heard them pulling some chairs so they could join us.

“Hey.” I heard his voice. The hairs on the back of my neck jolted up but I tried to look calm and uncaring.

“Heeeeeeey, Baekhyun.” Bona kicked me under the table.

“H-Heeeey, Baekhyun.” I repeated. Not moving my head but instead I turned a little the other way, trying to hide my face. I heard Bona stifled a laugh.

“I’m Bona and this is my friend Eun, let’s work hard together.” Bona introduced grabbing my shoulder and forcing me to face the two boys. “Eun-aaaaaaaah! Introduce yourself….” She was finally successful in making me turn. Bona had always been slimmer than I was but she was always stronger. Being in sports and all that.

I faked a wide smile showing my teeth.

“Eun? That’s a cute name…” He complimented but was looking weirdly at me. “Wait, you look familiar.” He added. I froze, still plastering that fake smile on my face.

“Really? It’s not me I swear, I never did anything to you. This is the first time I saw you.” I defended, I heard Bona snort, and she was probably trying not to laugh.

“Yeah she is.” Chanyeol agreed nodding his head. “I keep thinking where I saw you.” No. No. You’ve never seen me before!

 Baekhyun smirked at me.

 Did he just remember me? Should I regret not getting the chance to get a plastic surgery?

“Aren’t you the girl who confessed to me the last time I’m here?” He asked with his eyebrows curled, turning to Chanyeol who was now grinning at him.

“Riiiiight!” He agreed. My face felt like burning and I wanted to just die on the spot. Oh God Why?! What did I do to deserve this kind of humiliation? He crossed his arms and looked at me, smiling.

“You look different to be honest. A lot prettier.”  Bona started to giggle beside me, poking my sides and trying to tease me. I shoved her hand away with my elbow. Did he mean it? But the look on his face his was quiet sincere, should I fall for it?

“Thank you.” I smiled. He chuckled and eyed me.

“But you should’ve kept the eyeglasses, you look smarter with those.” My smile disappeared in mili-seconds. What’s that supposed to mean? I looked stupid? Do I look stupid without glasses? Well he looked…he looked…I took a deep breath.

“Are you saying I look stupid?” Baekhyun chuckled.

“No, I’m just saying you look smarter with glasses.”

I took a deep breath and smiled.

“Okay! So let’s all exchange number so that we can meet this weekend to discuss our project!” I gushed, shifting my attention to Bona who was grinning at me knowingly. I widen my eyes at her. Fortunately enough she wasn’t that mean to me today and turned to the boys. I know she had been waiting to take Chanyeols phone number.

“Are you going to call me, Eun-ah?” He asked again, tilting his head at me as he took his phone out.

“I’m going to call all three of you.” I replied as I grit my teeth. Is he punishing me?

 


Thanks for reading! Comments are so much appreciated. ^^ <3