One / 3

Heart Tells The Truth

Kim Junmyeon keeps hitting the head of his pencil to the table following the ticking of the clock that’s hung up on the wall above the clean white board.

“Junmyeon do you hear me, I am talking to you.” Yixing, a student from China that keeps clinging to Junmyeon since his first day at school (Junmyeon thinks that maybe it’s because Junmyeon is the class’ chairman and Yixing needs a lot of help in the class although he’s already pretty fluent in korean), says a bit exasperated. Junmyeon looks at Yixing, raising one eyebrow and asks “sorry. What did you say?”

Yixing sighs, “I said, stop knocking the table with your pencil, that’s annoying and I am trying to do my homework. We still have one whole hour and you better do your homework too. It’s better than wasting this additional time.” he says, but Junmyeon doesn’t seem like he’s going to buy it at all. But Junmyeon does put his pencil down and smiles at Yixing meaningfully.

“You are right Yixing. There’s still one whole hour.”

It’s six p.m but the third grade student are still forbidden to go out of the school because they still have to be presence in the additional class. Students of 3-B are mostly doing homework and doing some quizzes in their pre-examination module but Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin don’t do both.

Do Kyungsoo, one of the smartest students in his class even got in the 10th rank out of all students in the school last year. He doesn’t do his homework because he has already done it at the free period where the teacher didn’t come in because of lame excuse, and he’s not feeling to do his pre-examination module because his mind is full of Kim Junmyeon. How could he do a question with mind full of a crush?

Kim Jongin, in the other hand, is a typical korean high school student. Lazy, have done his homework but not sure he’s done it right, decides to just sleep in additional time because he forgot to bring his module (he forgot it in purpose, to be exact).

Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin are close friends (because Jongin complained that it’s too feminine if they’re called as ‘best friend’) since junior high and they keep sticking together since then. Kyungsoo has no problem with that, Jongin has no either.

 

Kyungsoo keeps grinning, smiling to himself as his hand has scribbled so many “준면” since the first ten minutes. Jongin, who keeps trying to sleep with headphone squeezes his ears, fails to sleep and peeks at Kyungsoo’s notebook.

“You are so obnoxious, Do Kyungsoo.” Jongin scoffs, Kyungsoo glares at the dark-skinned “oh you should talk to a mirror, Kim Jongin the most obnoxious person ever.” He replies and Jongin giggles. He always love when Kyungsoo’s annoyed by his comment because Kyungsoo is rather feminine and Jongin is so masculine, so Jongin finds it cute when Kyungsoo’s being sarcastic. “’Cause you are my mirror~ my mirror’s staring back at me~” Jongin nags with a pronounciation that is so korean-y, it’s Kyungsoo’s turn to scoff at the latter “geez, practice your pronounciation first before singing western you dimwit.” he rolls his eyes and goes back to his notebook to scibble another junmyeon’s name.

Jongin doesn’t say anything and just stares at Kyungsoo scribbling his notebook. Jongin makes a mountain of books (that he should’ve learned from) and rests his chin over it. “You are so pathetically falling for the rich guy, aren’t you?” Jongin teases and once again Kyungsoo rolls his eyes before replying, “I do fall for him, but not pathetically. And his name’s Junmyeon not ‘rich guy’. More over, I don’t like him because he’s rich.” The shorter explains.

Jongin raises an eyebrow curiously, “so? Why do you like him? Girls and guys are so head over heels for him because he’s the richest in this school, even richer than the headmaster, and you don’t like him because he’s rich? Are you lying or just pure stupid?”  he asks bluntly and makes Kyungsoo want to fly his fist to his cheek, but Kyungsoo has gone through so many ‘annoying-jongin’ moment so he thinks he could survive this one. It’s not the first time Jongin asking about that, though.

“Kim Jongin, I’m gonna tell you this for the last time. I don’t like him because he’s rich, I like him because he’s handsome, talented and tell you what... he will never be annoying like you are.” Kyungsoo tells with annoyed-but-remain-flat expression, Jongin just annoyingly nods his head and makes a sound “ooh” that heard so unbearably annoying for Kyungsoo.

 

Kim Jongin has always been annoying since born, Kyungsoo would say. Never once in his lifetime since their first meet, Jongin leave him alone and stop teasing him. He was surprised that Park Chanyeol, Jongin’s neighbor, pre-school friend, primary school friend, junior high school friend and high school friend), doesn’t seem like he’s annoyed. But later he knows from Baekhyun, Chanyeol’s classmate, that Chanyeol’s as annoying as Jongin is. Evil just befriends with other evil, Kyungsoo concludes.

 

Ddok~ Ddok~

A sound of the window knocked. Kyungsoo does hear that but his mind quickly scans it as unimportant sound so he lets it go once.

Ddok~ Ddok~

This time not only a sound of the window, Jongin also shakes his arm. “What?” Kyungsoo asks clearly not interested and just gives in because if he doesn’t, he knows that Jongin will keep disturbing him until probably when he die.

But for the first time in his life time, feels that it isn’t useless to give in to Jongin because when he turns to Jongin and sees Jongin points to the window. His eyes follow where Jongin’s finger points to.

And at the moment, he feels like his heart drops to lower than the ground.

 

Junmyeon at the outside, smiles widely and waves his hand.

Let’s go! He mouths as he points to the door and Kyungsoo can’t hide his happiness but also can’t help but mouth back Where? but Junmyeon refuses to tell and shakes his head as an answer.

Kyungsoo sighs, the kind of pretending-to-feel-that-he-is-weird-but-actually-feel-like-he-is-the-sweetest-man-on-earth, he stands up from his seat. It’s not like he hasn’t been asked out by Junmyeon from class, Junmyeon every now and then calls Kyungsoo out from class and usually it’s because their extracurricular importance but from Kyungsoo saw from Junmyeon’s action, it must be not about the extracurricular. Even though Kyungsoo had predicted (or more like hoped) something like that several times before, but this time it really feels different.

 

Kyungsoo walks out of his class and meets Junmyeon, he doesn’t know that his cheeks seem like two red apples at the moment, even if he know he wouldn’t care anyway.

“What do you think you’re doing? What happens to the choir? Something emergency’s up?” Kyungsoo asks, about the choir to at least let his own self kill his wishful thinking, Junmyeon shakes his head “why do you think I call you out for choir?” he raises an eyebrow. Kyungsoo scratches the back of his neck uneasy, “n-no, it’s just... so what’s up?”

“Are you busy right now? I mean, doing quizzes or homework or something?” Junmyeon asks, Kyungsoo shakes his head way too fast for a response but he doesn’t care all he thinks is the possibility of what Junmyeon would want to make him do.... or hear. “Good then, let’s go out. Pack your bag!” Junmyeon whispers, Kyungsoo feels a bit uneasy about the idea “but... how about the teacher?”

“they won’t know if we run, let’s go! Quick!” Junmyeon says and for Kyungsoo it’s either stay out of the risk and stay in the additional time that will still happen for the next couple of months or take the risk and run with Junmyeon to do something that maybe will only happen once in his entire lifetime. Kyungsoo is smart, I’ve told you, he picked the second option.

 

“I’ve never missed a class before.” Kyungsoo confesses when they’re meaninglessly sitting on the swings at the playground near the station, Junmyeon laughs before takes sip of his canned iced coffe. Kyungsoo just smiles, it still feels like dream, running from school with Junmyeon who he thought was the nicest student in the school, even in his imagination he never run from class with Junmyeon.

“Neither have I.” Junmyeon says, “are you sure? Because I swear when you asked me to leave I thought you were possessed by Jongin.” Kyungsoo teases. Junmyeon chuckles “who is this Jongin?” he raises an eyebrow, and Kyungsoo feels stupid at the moment, “ah yeah, I forgot you don’t know Jongin. He’s just my annoying classmate. He’s such a punk, he skips class whenever he doesn’t feel to study, he even skips school when he doesn’t feel to walk to school.” Kyungsoo tries to explain.

“Don’t you think you know a lot about this Jongin? I mean... I’m sorry... But are you two that close?” Junmyeon asks curious, Kyungsoo sways his hand signing no “no, no, we’re not that close. He’s just a friend since junior high school and just my luck, he was always placed in the same place as me so I know pretty much about him. But no, we’re not that close.” Kyungsoo explains again.

Junmyeon nods and smiles “good then.”

“What’s so good about that?” Kyungsoo asks, he knows where this conversation will go, he knows so he’ll lure it out of Junmyeon’s mouth.

“No, I mean... I am glad that you are currently not close with anyone particular.” Junmyeon shrugs his shoulders akwardly, “but why are you glad?” Kyungsoo pretend not to understand. It’s already dark but the street’s lamps are on so Kyungsoo can see the change of the colour on Junmyeon’s cheeks, he’s blushing and Kyungsoo likes what he sees.

“It’s... Complicated.”

“Just tell me... I promise I’ll understand.”

 

Junmyeon’s silent for a moment, but Kyungsoo waits. He swears it takes Junmyeon more than a century to tell him. To tell him and let him understand and let him be what Junmyeon want him to be in his life. That is not as complicated as Junmyeon said it is.

“’I know it will sound weird since we were just friends all along and I never really show it to you, but do you want me to be my boyfriend?’ but he was stuttering it was really really cute!” Kyungsoo repeats what Junmyeon had said at the park yesterday to Jongin in their class, break time. Jongin who has listened to the very full version of the story looks at him in disbelief, “are you serious or just deluding?” he mutters.

Kyungsoo sighs in exhaustion, he drops his to his chair “God, Jongin, I’m not that crazy over him. I am really serious, why do you think I’ve gone really crazy? Geez, you are so annoying Kim Jongin I hate you.” Kyungsoo folds his arm and rests them over the table. Jongin still can’t believe the boy that Kyungsoo has been school-girl-crushing on since forever confessed to him and now they are boyfriends. Jongin has never really got the sign of Junmyeon liking Kyungsoo back, and now they are boyfriends, Jongin knows he has got it wrong and he’s waaaaay further from Kyungsoo than he already was.

 

Knock... Knock... Knock...

Kyungsoo and Jongin, the only ones in the class, turn their heads to the door. Jongin sighs noticing the boy who stands in the door while Kyungsoo gives the opposite reaction.

“Junmyeon?” he squeals when he sees his boyfriend standing in the door of his class, he immediately stands up from his seat and walks up to him.

“What are you doing here, aren’t you eating lunch?” Kyungsoo asks, keeping his hands clasped together in the back because Jongin can clearly see that Kyungsoo is too proud and shy to initiate a skinship first. Junmyeon gives his new boyfriend a smile, a smile of happiness and proud that physically says God-I-Can’t-Believe-This-Boy-Is-Mine, “I want to, and I want you to eat with me. Or have you eaten your lunch with...?” Junmyeon looks to Jongin, signing that Kyungsoo should introduce him.

 

Kyungsoo turns around to Jongin, Jongin just casually puts his hand up and greets a short “yo”.

“Oh. He’s Jongin, the one I told you about and no, we haven’t eaten yet.” Kyungsoo says, Junmyeon nods “then, do you want to join our table?” he offers Jongin and Kyungsoo quickly turns around again and glares at Jongin, “oh, I think Jongin’s waiting for his friend, Chanyeol. You’re waiting Chanyeol, aren’t you?” Kyungsoo asks Jongin and gives him a secretive glare.

“Yes. I am waiting Chanyeol.”

“Good! Ng... I mean... Too bad, let’s go now, Junmyeon. Bye, Jongin!” Kyungsoo finally left with his boyfriend to the cafetaria leaving Jongin alone in the class.

 

Jongin scoffs as they have left from his sight. “Waiting for Chanyeol, my .” Jongin rolls his eyes and put on his headphone again and about to play the song but someone yanks down his headphone and there is only one person other than Kyungsoo who has nerve for doing that to the punk Kim Jongin.

“Did you say, you’re waiting for me?” Chanyeol teases and sits on Jongin’s table, Jongin unamusedly looks at Chanyeol and repeats what he said “I said, ‘waiting for Chanyeol, my ’” he looks back to his iPhone. Chanyeol sighs and pretends to be happy “I am even more glad you said that.”

 

Jongin is about to put on his headphone again but Chanyeol yanks it down again. “God, Chanyeol what the are you doing here?!” Jongin asks angrily, Chanyeol snickers “oh, who let out the beast this early? Did something happen? Why are you so whiny today?” Jongin makes a fist, “I  am  not  being  whiny  .” he emphasizes.

“Oh you bet, you are. Did something happen? Oh, I know! Something really happened, like this, Junmyeon out of nowhere asked Kyungsoo out and Kyungsoo told you about that and you saw them making out right in front of your pair of eyes. HAHAHAHA” Chanyeol laughs at his own joke, he pauses his laugh only to see Jongin is not amused at all. Chanyeol immediately stops his laugh, knowing that something has gone wrong with his joke.

 

“....Did it really happen?”

 

 

“ man, that .” Chanyeol swears after hearing Jongin tell about what Kyungsoo told him earlier, “so much. But let’s just forget it, I don’t care.” Jongin shrugs. “What do you mean you don’t care? You should care, what if that rich- guy hurts your Kyungsoo? What if...”

“I care about Kyungsoo, okay. So much. But he’s happy now, I can’t do anything else better than to be happy for him. Junmyeon is his choice and his happiness, do you think I will stop him from being happy if I care about him? If Junmyeon hurt him, that will be a whole different case. The present’s fact is now he’s Junmyeon’s boyfriend and he’s happy with him. Me? I’ll be happy with whatever that makes him happy.”

“Here’s our school’s punk changed to a saint because of the boy he loves. Geez, Kim Jongin, I’m surprised that you actually have a heart.” Chanyeol jokes again but this time Jongin tries to laugh, he wants to lift some weigh from his chest.

“Stop talking about me being saint like you don’t change to a chicken around Byun Baekhyun.”

It has been almost a week since Kyungsoo started dating Junmyeon. Jongin wants to stop counting the day but he can’t, it feels like he has grown a little more sensitive.

 

“Why do you sit here?” Kyungsoo asked, a day after his relationship started, when he saw Jongin didn’t sit in their usual table and sat with a classmate named Sehun instead. “I don’t know. Why? It’s not like it’s a big deal, though.” Jongin shrugged easily, Kyungsoo puffed his cheeks in annoyance “fine then. Minseokie! Let’s sit with me!” Kyungsoo calls out his biology partner and for the past five days, Kyungsoo has been sitting with him.

 

“Jongin.” Someone calls at the break time, where Jongin doesn’t go anywhere and puts his headphone on and listening to his iPhone. Someone yanks down Jongin’s headphone, Jongin immediately barks “Park ing Chanyeol get the hell out__ Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo pouts his lips, “what are you doing here? Aren’t you going to cafetaria with Junmyeon?” Jongin asks getting rid of the headphone from his head. Kyungsoo sits beside Jongin, taking Sehun’s seat because the owner isn’t there at the moment.

“J-junmyeon’s busy with choir, I don’t think he’ll come over to ask me to eat lunch together.”

 

“So, what are you doing here?” Jongin asks, forehead wrinkles and he receives the same expression from Kyungsoo in return, “I can’t?” he asks back. Jongin sighs, “it isn’t like that. I’m just surprised that you have free time after confirming your relationship with the prince.”

“I don’t know...” Kyungsoo mumbles, “what?” Jongin leans his head closer to hear Kyungsoo clearer. “Just forget it. Aren’t you hungry?” Kyungsoo asks, Jongin presses his lips together and thinks for a second before he nods his head, “let’s go eat. I don’t want to be starving, there’s still more than four hours in class today. I don’t want to spend it with starving.” Kyungsoo takes Jongin’s wrist and Jongin’s surprised and pulls his hand from Kyungsoo’s grab in reflex.

Kyungsoo turns around to face Jongin, face worried knowing that he just done something wrong. “I’m sorry... I know... I just...” Kyungsoo thinks hard to find right words to compile with but at the moment, to do that is so hard. Jongin steps forward and hooks his arm around Kyungsoo’s neck casually, “let’s just go.” Jongin leads Kyungsoo to the cafetaria.

 

“Where’s Chanyeol?” asks Kyungsoo as he puts his tray over the table where Jongin has picked for them to sit, “I don’t know, in his class? Why would I know.” Jongin rolls his eyes as he pours the fla to his pudding and Kyungsoo watches his pudding. “You two are close. Doesn’t he usually sit with you at lunch?” Kyungsoo asks and Jongin, as I said earlier, who has grown a little more sensitive could detect an uncomfortable tone in Kyungsoo sentence. “We are friends, but I don’t see that as a reason that he should always sit with me at lunch and I should know wherever he go.” Jongin replies try to surpress his annoyance, “I just... you know... It’s weird to see you without him.” Kyungsoo shrugs, acting casual but the sentence Jongin could hear from his readable action is ‘it’s weird to sit together just with you’.

“You know you don’t have to force yourself to sit with me and stay mannered like this. You could have just asked me to lunch because you’re so mad that Junmyeon can’t accompany you and I will still eat lunch with you.” Jongin says, exasperated heard obvious from every breath, Kyungsoo’s silent.

“Jongin, I’m sorry but I really am not forcing my self... I was just...” before Kyungsoo could finish, Jongin points to behind him with his chin “there. Your prince’s here.” Kyungsoo turns around, and his eyes meets Junmyeon’s smiley and bright face.

 

“Babe, you’re here already! I went to your class but nobody’s there.” Junmyeon takes a seat beside Kyungsoo then he notices that Jongin’s there too, “hey, Jongin right?” Junmyeon reaches out his hand for a handshake but Jongin fakes a cough and covers the cough with his hand, “sorry my hand’s dirty.” Jongin replies and Suho just smiles and pulls back his hand.

“I thought you were busy with choir?” Kyungsoo shifts his seat position, “it wasn’t really taking much time like I thought it would. But I’ve lost five minutes of break time though. Can I have a bite?” Junmyeon points to Kyungsoo’s caramel pudding, “sure” Kyungsoo replies but after seconds Junmyeon still hasn’t touched the pudding. Kyungsoo looks at him, “what are you doing? I said you can have a bite.”

“aren’t you going to feed me?” Junmyeon asks cutely, Jongin feels like puking on his face and Kyungsoo can feel Jongin’s surpressed laugh. Kyungsoo sighs softly but eventually cuts his pudding and feeds Junmyeon and Jongin just watches them, rather amused because the couple are so obnoxious and he thinks that he can give Kyungsoo a better relationship that his current obnoxious one, but most of him feel jealous because.... that is Kyungsoo feeding another man and not Jongin.

 

“So, here we are. In front of your class.” Junmyeon says as three of them stops their walk, Kyungsoo lets out an awkward laugh “Junmyeon, don’t say it like we will be parted for years.” he unhooks Junmyeon’s arm around his neck, Junmyeon pouts then he cups Kyungsoo’s face, Kyungsoo widens his eyes in surprise and Jongin knows where Junmyeon will go so he sighs and walks inside the class by himself trying hard to ignore what Junmyeon will probably do to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo enters the class with the teacher, maybe if the teacher hasn’t approached he won’t part with Junmyeon. Jongin has no time to ask about what were they doing before the teacher enter because they don’t sit together anymore and on top all of that, Jongin doesn’t want Kyungsoo to feel like he cares about their relationship.

 

Jongin keeps knocking the head of his pen to the table while hearing his homeroom teacher’s beating around the bush like always and he hates, but there’s a sentence that makes him start to listen more carefully.

“School has decided that the twelfth grade should have summer vacation while be kept under the school’s supervision so students wouldn’t keep playing and stay focus on their examination instead. Therefore, school has also decided to make a summer camp at Gyeongpodae beach for two weeks, you will play but keep studying together with your friends, fellow twelfth graders.”

Jongin swears he hasn’t heard a more excited whoop in his entire lifetime.