Find her, Jack Frost

The Black Guardian

 

'Reports have been collected that a mysterious figure of the infamous Grim Reaper has said to be back in action! There were images, which have been enough evidence to scare people, polluting different networking sites and still, experts have no particular response yet. To how true this mythical creature is, we should just tune in for the upcoming days.'

 

Fran nervously listened to his own mortal-made radio to report some important, yet tolerated news in the Underworld. He's pretty sure his boss had enough of his playtime. The last time Grim meddled with the mortals this often was when his 'only love' Martha was killed by his father. This could not be good, he thought.

He hurried his way down to the throne room, crossing his fingers that he would be able to see his master there. But as he walked down the hallway, a vaminion, apparently called Dave, stopped him in his tracks.

"Fran! We cannot control the number of deaths anymore! Master has been too aggressive!", he panicky retorted. Fran had just to sigh with the obvious report. "As if I didn't know, Dave. I'm on it, okay?!"

Leaving the poor vaminion away, he unconsciously wiggled his fingers again. If he cannot stop his master from doing such horrible things, the Earthly homeostatis won't be balanced anymore. Not only Peter will get mad but he's afraid the Guardians would do something about it too. And that's not good news.

As he opened the throne room, he saw his master drinking. He gulped with the scene he saw. It was just so familiar that he wanted to run away and just let his master be in ruins. No, he suddenly thought. Their realm would be at stake if he won't be able to stop him.

"M-my lord...?", he almost squeaked. Grim looked at him with a pained expression but then he looked away quickly. Fran had to gulp tons of times just to get enough guts to confront his master.

"My lord...the mortality rate has greatly increased. The...the vaminions cannot collect any more deaths, sire.", he nervously reported. Grim suddenly stood up and as Fran thought he was going to be spanked, he raised his hands up to protect himself. But when he looked up after seconds, he saw his master caressing the Reaper's portal.

"The Reaper's portal is not a fraud after all....", he whispered tipsily. Grim was about to stumble down if not for Fran who rescued him immediately. He took his master's waist but Grim eventually brushed him off. "If the Guardians won't help me...I'll convince them the hard way...."

 

Grim walked towards his portal, magically opening it up. The swirls leading to another dimension welcomed them, Grim in it. Before Fran could even complain, his master was nowhere to be seen. He tried knocking on the portal but all he can see was his own reflection. Fran raked his hair desperately, knowing his master would implant deaths AGAIN and this time, he's more uncontrollable as he was drunk.

He was sure any minute now, Peter would call him but that was just the least of his problems. He's pretty sure the Guardians are now at alarm. If he didn't let them know of the situation, they would cause ruckus. It should not happen, he thought.

He had to make a move. He remembered those shiny balls his master used to transport to the North Pole. Maybe it's also time he go to Santa's factory.

-----------------------------------

 

"PAINT IT GREEN!", Santa grumpily told the working Yeti. Jack, who was trailing behind him, pitied the big guy. He knew Santa was just frustrated because of the news he just received from the elves. And Grim was the culprit.

"Don't even bother. Blue's great.", Jack winked at the Yeti. Apparently, the big guy rejoiced as he was not going to redo everything again. But Santa looked back at him, squinting his eyes on him.

Jack just shrugged, "What?", he innocently defended himself. But fortunately, Santa let it slide as he just walked towards the center globe. He crossed his arms, staring at the blinking lights, indicating that children are starting to forget their essence as Guardians.

"How...it's not like Pitch did this, right?", Jack asked the troubled North. "Definitely not. It's Grim. He's been forcing deaths on Earth, taunting children. It's not that they don't believe us...they're just too scared to care about us anymore.", Santa said with so much concern. Jack can't help but to be confused. Why was Grim doing this? He thought he was asking for their help, but now, he's been doing stuff that would anger the Guardians.

He balled his fist as he thought of the decision they made earlier this morning. What if they made Halo their new Guardian? How can they be so sure that this is not the worst scenario they can encounter?

Jack was about to run away when Santa noticed he was not in his side anymore. "Jack? Where are you going?!", he demanded. Jack looked back, with determination in his eyes. "To stop Grim with his ridiculousness." He was even grabbing his stick tighter this time, ready to blast icicles to that death-eating creature.

 

"JACK FROST! NO!"

 

Both North and Jack had to switch their eyes to where the voice came from. The elves had to panic and run away from the center globe as they saw this very different and dark creature gasping for air. Santa, who was scrunching his brows out of curiosity stepped forwards the visitor. If he correctly remembers, it must be someone from the Underworld.

 

"Wait, no! Don't..please hear me out!", this little creature pleaded like a child.

 

Jack Frost had to halt in his tracks. North on the other hand, snatched the elf's trumpet, ready for some action if ever this underworld guy would do something underworld-ly. "Spit it out, little thing. What are you doing here?! Where's your master?", North demanded.

"M-my...master? I do not know of his location!"

Jack's temper rose too sudden. "LIES! Do you know how scared children are because of your master?! WHERE IS HE?", Jack taunted Fran as he leveled his stick in front of the poor guy's chin. North, who decided to give the trumpet back to the elf tried to control the situation. "My underworld friend, you do not want to be kebabed by my Yetis. If I were you, I would probably say something helpful."

"That is why I'm here! If you would just hear me out!"

 

Jack Frost and North exchanged looks. They knew what was on each other's minds and that is to let Fran talk. North stepped forwards, kneeling in front of the little guy. "Go ahead.", he firmly told him.

Fran had to wiggle his fingers for a second or two. He didn't like to be interrogated, he never did. Everytime his master would have a private talk with him, it always felt like he was going to puke out of nervousness. That is of course, his master was the lord of death. But somehow, he didn't also like the idea of being wrapped by those huge furry creatures with a colored lace. Creepy nightmares.

"M-my master...he's out on Earth again, taking lives like he never did in ages! He was so desperate of your help that he had to convince you in a harsh way! Please, Guardians! Our realm can't take in anymore deaths! Peter would punish us! He would punish master!", Fran tried to act on his desperate face.

"Santa, we should stop him! The kids! It would be too much for them!", Jack said.

 

But North was busy rubbing his chin. He was looking at Fran, maybe figuring out how he could be a nice Christmas gift or maybe just checking out if he was actually here in peace. Jack Frost, who was aggravated already stormed out of the room, ready to find Grim and kick his .

"JACK!", he heard Santa called him.

He didn't want to look back. He wanted to freeze Grim desperately that he couldn't let anyone get in his way. Grim Reaper had enough games already, he can't afford to be forgotten again just because of this ridiculous law-abiding underworld lord. If there was a perfect time to prove himself to Manny, Jack thought this would be the best time.

 

"JACK FROST!"

 

Dang it, Jack thought. He just can't say no to Santa's bossy tone. Geez. Jack had to look back, plastering a face that could sum up kids' annoyed faces when waking up early.

North had a firm expression though. He knew what to do. "I need you to find someone on Earth. It's urgent, and after all...you are the most qualified for the job."

"I was going to find, Grim, Santa! I knew that okay. Don't worry, I'd freeze him and let him taste his own medicine."

But North shrugged. He didn't mean Grim. "We the other Guardians, will take care of Grim. As for you, Jack Frost....find Halo. Find Grim Reaper's daughter and bring her here. Immediately."

 

--------------------------------------------