The Inevitable

The Black Guardian

 

Chit-chats filled the courtroom. Everyone has been shocked, thrilled and nauseated of Grim's recent announcement. Never having been encountered such a huge problemo like this, the vaminions have sensed something foreign with their boss's presence.

Something they are all allergic of.

A touch of weakness.

 

"SILENCE!", Grim shouted with a hoarse throat.

 

Not an air of breath was heard then. Fran, who was Grim's current assistant, finally handed him the Death.

Grim took it with his bony phalanges, not eager to see what book has brought forth them.

 

"Patefacio."

 

Death automatically scanned the pages until it came to a halt. A shimmering, blinding light sprang out from the page, garnering collective gasps from the vaminions. The shimmers of light crawled in to slowly form a figure, killing Grim with his impatience. It was a figure of a face, who happens to be quite familiar with Grim.

This somewhat relieved him for a moment, but then he realized it was just the cue to the end of their lifetime routine. Fran, who has been anticipating as much as Grim, started wiggling his fingers out of nervousness. A habit, he always say but mostly just an excuse to cover up his nervousness.

 

"Sire, is she...."

 

Grim raised his hand, stopping Fran's mouth from blabbering more.

 

"Send back the vaminions to their portals." Grim looked at the Underworld counter, sighing as if he has aged a year or two. "We've just caused 1,567 delays of death around the globe because of this conference. Make sure those souls get their late slips from Peter."

 

Fran didn't even think twice of following orders. He forced to close Death and the blinding light faded in just a snap. He carried the book with him as he ushered the vaminions out of the room. While the vaminions were brought back to their jobs, Grim slouched on his throne, deciphering what Death has shown to them. This cannot be happening, he thought.

 

"Martha....", Grim whispered to himself.

 

He wouldn't even lie. Back when Grim's father was still the heir of the name, Grim Reaper, Grim was some kind of a rebel. He sneaked in through the portals every day just to set foot on Earth. Earth was his playground; it was his only way of getting out of the complicated business of being a different creature. He never understood his father when he told him that death is the reason why they exist. It was just the opposite on Earth.

Little Grim had a youthful spirit and he despised his father for taking people's lives. He saw them grow and live only to experience death. He was some kind of okay with it not until a girl named Martha knew of his presence. He didn't know how Martha could see her, he only knew how much he could see a future with the girl who accepted for who he was.

There came a time Martha bore a child. Grim couldn't believe it was his as he knew he could never host a mortal with a mortal child. It was not written on the Man on the Moon's ground rules, nor his father didn't teach him about it. He was beyond dumbfounded that he had to tell it to his father.

The news angered his father so much. Not only did Grim made such a hateful mistake, he also broke the rule of not going to Earth. A Grim Reaper does not show up down there, it only manipulates other people's minds to see him when they have a gift of Prometheus. And being the next heir, he should not certainly break any rule.

His father told him, "The child is beyond our control. We could not kill it nor take it to our side. Manny will take judgement." Grim knew what he meant. His daughter was destined to disintegrate forever, as if his love, Martha did not even bear a child. But as powerless as he was back then, he only heeded his father's words. It was not until the night he discovered that the vaminions forced to take Martha's life, that he started to take action. It was Grim's punishment with his mistake and this encouraged him to take revenge. He did not kill anyone. He only rebelled as he used the Reaper's portal, currently his dad's, to hide their child from anyone who wishes to harm her.

Apparently, the Reaper's portal can follow any order from anyone with the Grim Reaper's bloodline. Grim, who took their child, demanded that the portal shall not open up for anyone as it perfectly hides their daughter inside. As he accomplished his fatherly task, he thought that their daughter would be saved forever. He did not know that Manny could bring her back to the life she was supposed to have.

His assistant, Fran rushed back to the room, who just came back from throwing the vaminions back to their places. He didn't waste any second as he reported back to Grim. "My lord, there were 3 fighting souls and at least 10 portals malfunctioning. I have contacted our technician so don't worry Sire. As for Peter, he was mad at the delay we've caused. He said he'll be working overtime again in the Purgatory. Real talk, Sire. He's just too mad."

 

"More souls in Hell I guess.", Grim perfectly showed he was not just interested with Peter's rants right now.

 

As Fran advanced to his master's side, he took the initiative to talk about the recent dilemma they have. "Sire...Death has never showed us any shiny light before. This just means...."

 

"Hate it to say it, but yeah. My daughter's not on our side.", Grim continued it for him. It was hard to tell in his expression if he was mad or not. Fran only knew that it was a huge problem indeed since his master has been trying to protect his daughter ever since she was born. And now, of course he was not dumb to notice that his master's not happy about it.

 

"What if she's...", Fran could not even finish what he was supposed to say. His master just glared at him, leaving him with tons of sweat from his armpits.

 

"She's not dead, idiot. If she has been, then Death would not even bother to show such omen.", Grim told Fran as if forcing himself not to fire his assistant. "It only means she's on Earth---"

"Damn it. The Reaper's portal is a fraud.", Grim changed his dialogue as he gritted his teeth while saying so.

 

Fran tried to calm down his master. By just looking at his master's deep black eyes, he knew that Grim was just as hopeless as his father when he discovered that his son has a mortal descendant.

But Grim knew the answer. He could not do this alone. He needed help.

He needed the Guardians.

 

"It was inevitable, as your father have once said. Boss Manny will eventually make a move. It is not the portal's fault.", he tried explaining. But Grim was just lost in his own thoughts. He was now steaming with his black smoke, an indication that a Grim Reaper wants his mortality rate increased. He gulped with the scary thought.

 

"Sire, we cannot afford any more deaths. W-we have a quota to follow.", he nervously said.

 

Grim massaged his temples, regaining back his black smoke to his body. It's time, he thought. He sighed as he commanded Fran to get the old sack he has not been touching for eras, in the leftmost corner of the room. He just could not believe he was doing this.

Fran quickened up, carrying a huge sack on his back which was twice of his height. He sighed thinking what did he even do to deserve a wonderful assistant like him. Tossing the sack on his feet, Grim stood up just to loosen the tight lacy string.

 

"That red-obsessed fat guy.", Grim sighed with the hideous thing.

 

As he revealed what's inside, Fran covered up his mouth, gasping with the shining balls smiling at them. No way would Grim use colors gold and red together. They just mock death's color.

 

"Creepy nightmares! what is that?!", Fran couldn't just let his mouth shut. Although Grim didn't want to touch any of those things, he decided not to keep his ego fill his head anymore. This was just now or never.

 

"It's Santa's invitation. We're going to the North Pole, yipee.", Grim sarcastically announced.

 

------------------------------------------------

 

 

"JACK FROST!!!!!!"

 

Jack almost stumbled down the roof he was just sleeping on. That automatic-link he had from Santa should really be disconnected from him now. Jack didn't want anyone disturb his day rest when he just played with the kids. Not having a choice, he scratched his head as he opened his eyes from nap. It was a perfect Sunday morning with the light shining upon his icy cold skin. He never knew he needed warmth than coldness.

 

"Sweet glaciers! What does Santa want now?!", he complained as he flew straight to the readied magic portal.

 

When he was welcomed by the busy elves, he almost stepped foot on one of them. The elf was actually dozing off while walking with a long list of whatever that is. Jack just never understood why Santa makes use of elves. He could just use smart chimpanzees or chirping birds for work. They might be just a great deal than those annoying little ones. HE WAS ALWAYS CALLED because of little incidents like this. He's not just getting a hang of it.

As he searched for Santa, he was taken off guard as Big Foot (apparently Big Foot number 3), raised him as he picked him by his shirt.

 

"Hey! Get me down!", Jack tried wiggling away. But Big Foot 3 just leveled a long ruler beside him as if measuring what his body statistics are. "What's that for?!", Jack demanded.

 

Big Foot smiled at him, returning him back on the floor. "Guardian's Night!", he jolly replied. What the heck was Guardian's Night? As far as he remembered, his only job was to protect the children, not to act like one and party all night.

 

"Jack Frost! At last!"

 

He was relieved as he heard Santa's booming voice.He could not just take any more humiliation from any Big Foot. Jeez.

Jack initially just stood there as he saw Santa. His accent is just priceless, leaving Jack always in awe as he talks to him. "You just have to wake me up again, huh?", Jack scoffed at the big guy. But as jolly as Santa Claus should be, he just took his sarcasm again as a positive answer.

 

"Of course! Being your alarm clock is a favor of my gratitude! HO! HO! HO!"

 

Jack just crossed his arms, trying to indicate he's not at all feeling happy with the favor. As Santa looked at him, he too, changed his happy expression. Uh-oh, mood swings. It must be Santa's long sermon again. Santa threw daggers at Jack with his his glares, enough for Jack to step backwards.

 

"YOU Jack Frost has caused hailstorms in the Philippines. IN THE PHILIPPINES! How many times would I tell you that, that country's a tropical country! NO WINTER! GOODNESS GRACIOUS!", Santa hysterically reported again.

Jack had to be guilty about it. It was when he just came back from a dizzy ride, courtesy of Easter Bunny and he happened to land in the Philippines. As he thought it was in Japan, he unconsciously whipped his stick, causing ice to rain down on the innocent country. Oops.

 

"I...I got dizzy.", Jack just shrugged.

 

Santa ran down his hand over his face, showing full frustration over Jack's careless actions. This was not the first time, there were also weather changes in other countries. And knowing people's know-it-all attitude, they thought the world was going to end because of those.

 

"But hey, New Zealand had a share of fun with my winter magic!", Jack tried to smile sweetly to Santa.

 

As he thought it was not going to work, Santa smiled back at him, earning a sigh from the nervous Jack Frost. "I know! That is why I created a Guardian's Night!"

 

The elves suddenly formed a circle around us, holding up their trumpets and playing such awful sounds with it. It was still weird for Jack even after he got that when he was officiated.

Ignoring them, Jack gave Santa a hideous look. "What for?" Santa just laughed again, leaving Jack in awe for the hundredth time. "Nonsense! Your center was having fun! We should celebrate it!"

 

"No offense, Santa. But the last thing I wanted you to do is to take my center literally."

 

Jack knew what the next thing was. Santa's laugh. But before he could even produce a boisterous, jolly laughter, someone barged in their conversation.

It was Sandman. Right. Perfect for someone who'll dominate Santa's loud voice.

 

"Sandy! Good timing! We were just talking about the Guardian's Night!", Santa gladly announced.

 

But Sandy was uninterested. He was just producing bunch of pictures on his head with an urgent face. Jack's heart skipped a beat as he knew Sandy would not be like this unless there's something serious happening. And as he thought, it was not good (again).

Jack noticed images of skulls, bones, and tons of exclamation points. What was that, he tried deciphering. Santa brushed his chin carefully, also trying to figure out what Sandy must be in saying.

 

"C'mon Sandy! We cannot have a halloween theme for the party!", Santa panicked. Sandman shrugged, indicating it was not he meant. He was now trying to produce images of heads with horns and a trident.

 

"Sandy, my friend. No creepy things for the party. SAY anything but that.", Santa disregarded the poor guy again.

 

But Sandman squinted his eyes at Santa, warning him of his allergies in the word, SAY. Jack thought it was one of Santa's inside jokes but the big guy looked quite serious. He gave up with the naiveness.

 

"Santa, I'm pretty sure Sandy meant something about a skull....and it's not about a halloween theme.", Jack tried to switch the mood seriously. Santa's eyes went left and right as if digging down his brain of what to make up with the image.

 

Sandy was now pointing at our backs and Jack knew the answer to their guessing game is now right behind them. Santa's shack just oozed a nerve-wrecking ambience, making them all want to crawl under their beds. It was a very foreign feeling for Jack. He was reincarnated with coldness enveloping his being, but never did he feel something colder....and harsher.

Jack Frost looked back and he knew exactly who it was. He was not just ready to face him now.

 

"Greetings, Guardians. I have accepted your summoning."

 

It was the legendary Grim Reaper.

The cause of every people's death, Jack thought.

 

-----------------------------------------

NEW WORD? SEEK HERE.

 

Vaminions - Grim Reaper's little minions. Vaminions have jobs of collecting deaths around the world if their time would finally come, through magic portals that would lead them to any places on Earth. They are half vampire, half bats. They practically started a vampire's existence (those who bury their teeth and blood from people). Well in reality, they are tasked to crush a heart of a mortal to stop blood from circulating. They do take away blood, but not it. Ew.

 

Death - It's not an event, alright. It is a book filled with dark truth. And by truth, that meant showing answers to a Grim Reaper's problem by magically producing different shades of light, forming figures that represent such answers. Very wise indeed, as it is kept generation after generation of a Grim Reaper bloodline.

 

Reaper's Portal - One of the most important gifts of a Grim Reaper. Being forbidden to go down to Earth, this tool can help Grim Reapers to do their earthly tasks. It is its own, special portal to Earth, if there is a need to have a hallucinating apparition to a human being. Usually humans with the gift of Prometheus (One who can see the future, even future deaths) can see Grim Reaper's image but not his whole being.

*Note: It can also heed any command from the reigning Grim Reaper. Any place that the current master wants to go to, it could provide its services unconditionally.