Jack's Insecurities

The Black Guardian

 

Jack did not hesitate to raise his stick, ready for action. To how Pitch Black kind of kept him off guard, he felt more power to this black-filled creature. His face was pure harshness with such brittle and pale skin as if it was going to fall off any moment now. Although he had this earthly, handsome features, Jack did not see him anything as "good" as the other Guardians.

Grim Reaper looked at him with no emotions at all. Instead, he lets you feel so weak about yourself.

 

"I came in peace, ice man.", he said.

"The name's Jack Frost." But Grim just smirked at Jack like he was expecting him to say that. He then looked around, checking if there were any more wimps thinking he would invade North Pole.

 

"G-Grim...! It's...nice to see you again.", Santa tried to sound uplifting. But even him, Jack knew he was kind of crumbling inside like he does. Whatever magic this guy has implanted on them, it's putting them on the downside. If a fight has to take place, he knows they were in trouble. Grim Reaper is just ten times worse than Pitch Black.

Jack tried to look at Sandman. Fortunately, he was not as nervous as him. He was just floating there, staring at the visitor with curiosity.

 

"Holy Eggtarts! What is he doing here?!", Bunny appeared out from his hole. Toothfairy, who just came in too was shocked with the scene she saw. "Grim?!", she gasped. Jack secretly sighed with relief as they finally broke the ice.

Grim nodded with their presence, respecting every Guardian in the vicinity. Jack couldn't understand though. His presence was full of threat and yet no one was trying to keep up their defenses. Everyone was just surprised like they haven't seen a long friend for years.

 

"Bunny, tough as ever. I'm sorry for the sudden visit. I had to....attend to some important matters with you.", Grim replied with a shockingly gentle voice. Bunny, who was not glad about his presence, stepped up as if asking for a carrot fight.

 

"Listen, mate. I was supposed to hide eggs at 3 o'clock sharp in the continent of Africa. You might want to spit it out RIGHT NOW what important matter you're dealing with us.", Bunny "threatened" Grim. It was some kind of irony, Jack thought, but knowing Bunny, he'll be throwing out his tantrums to anyone once you wreck his Easter preparations. Jack guessed even Grim was not an exception.

Grim did not mind the attitude. Instead, he handed over a book as dark as him to the Guardians. Only Santa stepped forward to get it.

 

"The Death? What's this supposed to mean?", Santa seriously asked. Jack kind of thought it would be good to have Grim around. It makes Santa less jolly and naive.

Grim then said something Jack didn't understand but the book automatically opened up. Seconds later, it showed glittering lights forming a figure of a girl's face. It was human's, Jack was sure of it. 

A familiar feeling washed over Jack as he stared at the image.

 

"She looks....", Jack had to falter. It dawned on him that he already saw this face. A face that resembles the guy in front of him.

It was a girl and youthful version of the Grim Reaper. But how....

 

"You've got to be kidding me.", Bunny had to say it. Everyone seemed to get what it was, except for Jack. He was always the clueless one, being a new Guardian and all. And this time around, he didn't feel like being left out once more.

Santa closed the book, with a firm expression on his face. It was obvious that he didn't like what he saw. It was like when toys break accidentally in Christmas Eve. Not funny, Jack thought. "Manny interfered. And you expect us to help you?!", Santa's voice made all the elves go back to their stations. It was his sermon voice, but two times grumpier.

Grim looked hurt but he stood there in a perfect still. "North, she's my daughter. You're the only one who could help me.", his voice sounded frail and yeah, more likely...he's going to break down any minute now.

Toothfairy flew beside North. "Santa, Grim never asked for help. Why can't we give him a chance?"

 

Santa couldn't even respond. Bunny did it for him. "Bah! What does he think we're doing? Charity works?! We only follow Manny, mate. Not some death-eating guy."

Jack looked at Grim and saw he was disregarding what Bunny said. Maybe he knew how frank he was so he just let it slide. Being the legendary Grim Reaper and all, Jack didn't know he could be this...considerate.

"And I thought you liked protecting children. What's the difference with my daughter??", Grim desperately asked.

 

Jack knew that pinched Santa's heart. Being a child at heart, he was thinking Santa would be considering Grim's request. But he perfectly displayed a serious face, not letting Grim's eyes away from his sight. "You broke the rule. It was enough for us not to help you."

"You are not helping me. You are helping my daughter.", Grim pleaded.

Sandman glided towards Grim and held his hand. He then looked up, pointing none other than Man in the Moon. Jack saw a bitter expression on Grim's face. He wondered what kind of interference Manny did this time. It was just rare, he thought. He could not even talk to him even if he's now a Guardian.

 

"Sandy's right. We'll have to look at it first. We cannot go against Manny.", Santa concluded. Grim nodded as if he knew this was coming.

"Well then, just tell me if you're finished." With those last words, Grim disappeared out of a black smoke leaving nothing to where he stood.

Silence filled the room after. The only sounds they were hearing were the machineries around Santa's factory. As Jack was about to question someone, Santa commanded them to follow him in his office. A meeting would be done, Jack thought.

As Sandy closed the door, Bunny started the conversation. "Don't tell me you're considering Grim's request?!" He was looking straight at Santa, who was staring at his table for a moment. He sighed as he slumped his head over his hand, as if a child getting bored in class.

 

"I do not know. Manny was not responding. If he was against Grim's request, he could have showed some negative omen. But none...none.", Santa sighed deeply again. The rabbit bulged his eyes at the helpless Santa Claus. "OMEN?! Was it not bad enough that Manny took the child and hid it somewhere?! HE. DOESN'T. WANT. US. TO. HELP. HIM!", Bunny frustratedly replied.

Toothfairy was nervously wiggling her colorful-like tail as she raised her hand for an opinion. "But a child is a child, Bunny. Naughty or nice, it is our job to help them. Maybe...this was just one of Manny's challenges to us Guardians.", she said carefully.

Sandy seemed to be agreeing with the toothfairy as he nodded accordingly. Santa had no reply and Jack...he was just confused.The rabbit was now raising his fur out of frustration, alright. "Look, mates. We don't even know if she's a child anymore! When was that? It was like 18 years ago when Grim did some law-abiding mistake!", Bunny tried to defend himself again.

Santa rubbed his head, expecting to have a migraine because of this conversation. He had to look at Jack, who was not uttering a word about the issue. He then pointed at him, curious if he understands what they were fighting about. "Jack, are you with us?"

Jack just scratched his head like he used to when he's annoyed. "Obviously, no. I didn't even know Grim CAN HAVE a daughter.", he honestly said. Bunny slapped his forehead, giving up on the innocent Jack. He didn't want to go through the explanations anymore. The history of Grim's past always gives him the creeps. Toothfairy, on the other hand, looked as concerned as Santa. They knew Jack has the right to know.

"Yes. Grim had a daughter with a mortal, which of course the greatest sin any of us can commit. But since he was not the Grim Reaper at that time, Manny did not punish him immediately. He pushed his luck as he hid his daughter in the Reaper's portal, concealing every harm that can get to his daughter. But he was wrong. Manny took a move....and hid his daughter somewhere else.", Santa explained as he was going back and forth the room.

 

Jack couldn't get it though. Based on the story, it was like Man in the Moon was the villain. Grim was just a father protecting his child, while here comes Manny ruining it all. But deep down, he also knew Grim did something unforgivable. He knew their kind should not meddle with people's personal lives that far.

While thinking to what they should do, Jack sat on Santa's table, scrunching his brows as he carefully weighed the situation. "Were you thinking that...Manny wants us to make a move for Grim?" Santa looked at him, surprised, as if Jack hit the jackpot. But Bunny pointed his boomerang to Jack's neck.

"Get a grip, Frost. It's Manny we're talking about here.", he gritted his teeth on him.

Jack tried cooling Bunny's smoking hot mood. He raised his hands up, surrendering to the Bunny's sudden madness. "Woah, woah there Bunny! I was just asking.", Jack smirked at him.

But Bunny wasn't that easily convinced. "Asking, huh? Be careful, mate. You might want to end up not to be believed again."

That firmed Jack's expression. He just didn't like how Bunny always bring back the past to haunt him. If he was not a co-Guardian, he could have turned this bunny to an iced statue.

"Stop that, Bunny! We cannot resolve this unless we're all open-minded about the case!", Toothfairy tried to keep everything cool. Jack flew away from the rabbit, positioning himself beside the door. Santa, who wanted to keep the conversation light as well, put up his jolly mood as he raised his arm on Bunny's shoulder. "Relax, my friend! Toothfairy's right. We should be open-minded! We should make...a VOTATION!"

 

Jack swore he could hear the trumpets ringing on his head. It was just that voice of Santa that puts the elves on cue for an orchestra number. Trying to get back to the issue, he honestly did not know what to do. Protecting every child who believes is their lifetime role but this kind of case never occured to him. Who could have thought that a child, who was a result of a huge mistake, would need their rescuing? And this time, Manny has not been communicating with them for answers.

Sandy, who was quiet for some time, made an x-mark using his arms. He didn't want a votation to take place and Santa kneeled down on him, trying to decipher why Sandy thought so. "What is it, Sandy?", he asked. The little guy produced a familiar book on his head with the same figure of a girl above it. He was showing the Death, to be certain.

"What's with the bloody book?! That's the daughter, right there. Big deal.", Bunny scoffed at them. But Sandy just squinted his eyes at him and looked directly at Santa. He was now producing dozens of images, some were figures of a girl, Grim himself, the Guardians, the Earth and the Moon.

 

"Hold the phone....I'm not sure of this, Sandy.", Santa responded as if he understood. But Sandman kept on emphasizing the image of an exclamation point, telling the Guardians that he's dead serious of what he's trying to say. "Sandy's right. We are the only one who can help Grim. He cannot go to Earth as much as we can, that is why he's pleading for our help.", Toothfairy added.

"So are you saying we should go around the globe to find this...this girl?!", Bunny frustratedly asked. Jack wasn't sure if Bunny did not know the name of the girl or he was just really against the idea, that he had to show disgust.

"Well, Manny can only hide the child on EARTH. There are no other options.", Toothfairy replied. But Bunny didn't seem to get a hang of where the conversation was going. He needed carrots, pronto. "BAH! What about those..vampire-looking creatures?! I thought they had magic portals to Earth???"

But Santa shook his head. "No. They are only tasked to take people's lives and not wander around. Collecting deaths is much, much busier job than any of us have." Sandy has to nod with the thought. Although Jack hasn't thought of it, he seems to respect now the job of a Reaper. Imagine the everyday cases of death all around the world and he had to attend to those at the same time 24/7, 365 days a year. Wow.

"Fine. So what if we find the child? You knew she was going to be disintegrated anyway. That was in the law, North. Have you forgotten, huh?!", Bunny instantly reacted. That's when Sandy started to get excited. Santa shook his head, as if he doesn't like where this was going. "This is what Sandy has been thinking. Not unless...we made the child like us, she should not be harmed. This is what Grim had been thinking too, all along.", Santa gave up with the thought.

Jack had to pause for a moment. Make the child like them? Well, biologically speaking, the girl is definitely like their kind. Her father was Grim Reaper for crying out loud. "What do you mean like us? Isn't she already one??", Jack cannot shut his mouth anymore.

Bunny, who was scrunching his nose all the while, had to weaken his posture like he had just got a chronic disease. "Oh no, North. No, no, no.", he whispered almost to himself. Toothfairy seemed to know what was Santa was talking about as she beamed with her perfectly white teeth. "That's just brilliant! Of course, Manny wants a new Guardian!"

 

Sandy clapped his hands, maybe finally glad that someone understood him. Bunny on the other hand, was getting green. "I think I'm going to be sick.", he declared, as he rushed out of the room with his hand covering up his mouth.

Jack had enough quiet time. He walked closer to Santa, wanting an explanation. "Wait, wait, wait. A new Guardian?! What makes you think the Man in the Moon wants a new Guardian?!", he scoffed at him. Jack didn't really know how he reacted like that. It's just that, it was not a year that passed since he became a Guardian and now, Manny wants another one. Was he playing games with him? He hasn't even talked to Jack since then. It just made Jack more furious as the rabbit.

Santa held Jack's shoulders. "It was a pretty good shot, Jack. I guess Manny did not want us to depend on him, this time. A child is in danger and he wants to know if we're capable of protecting it...despite of any conditions." Jack could not hide the disappointment in his eyes. "By what?! By making her, a Guardian?! Wasn't I enough for him?!"

Jack brushed off Santa's grip on him and he flew out of the factory. It wasn't fair, Jack thought. How could Manny disregard Jack all this time? Is he that cruel to have someone as a replacement to him? North, Sandy, Bunnymund and Toothfairy had their own share of being recognized for years of being a newly officiated Guardian. But what Jack has gotten? Six months of proving nothing? Six months of not gaining any decent talk with Manny? He hasn't even thanked him yet when Jack became a hero after their fight with Pitch Black. Nothing. He was a good-for-nothing Guardian, he always thought.

Jack then landed on the Tooth palace. It was his favorite place to visit ever since he had known his childhood from Toothfairy. He always felt like this was home.

He saw tons of Babytooth roaming around the palace, busy with their duties in collecting children's teeth. This may be the most peaceful place he has ever seen so he tried sitting down from the edge of where he was standing. He grabbed something inside his pocket, a gift that Toothfairy gave him. It was his tube of baby teeth, his memory of being human.

He looked at it with yearning as he remembered his mother and sister that he had left. Did they find out about what happened to him? Did they even try to get him out of the cold, cold water? What if they did, would Jack be a Guardian? Would he be Jack Frost?

"I guess it's better than to be ignored.", Jack whispered to himself. He did not want to lie. He was feeling left out all the while he's been a Guardian. That is why he spent more time on Earth to play with the kids. Sometimes, he would visit Jamie and his friends but they would not see him. It was enough for him that they would say his name, rejoicing over the little winter treats he's been giving them.

As he looked more on the tube, something hit him. "Wait a second...could there be...."

His adrenaline rushed over him and he knew what to do. He flew over Toothfairy's own place, with the collection of all other tubes that she got from the kids all around the world. But when he got there, he didn't know where to start. It was just millions of tubes and the worst thing was, he didn't know her name.

 

"Crap, is there some background info here or something?", Jack talked to himself. He almost jumped from where he was when Toothfairy flew beside him. "Sweet Glaciers, Toothfairy!"

Tooth just smiled at him, running her hands through the shelf of collected tubes. "They're beautiful, aren't they?", she asked. Jack had to nod. If not for Toothfairy, he could not have known his past. If not for Toothfairy...he'd always been the confused Jack Frost with an uncertain future. Jack has been always thankful for that.

"But you're not here to return my gift, are you?", Toothfairy sounded hurt. Jack had to clear it up as he raised his hands in defeat. "No, no, no. It's not that! I just...I was just wondering if..."

Tooth stared at him, waiting for his answer. Jack had to continue what he's saying as he was afraid she's jump into him again and check out his set of teeth. "If Grim's daughter has her...tube here somewhere." Toothfairy was surprised to see Jack concerned. She thought he was still sensitive about the new Guardian thing so she tried to avoid the matter when she got here.

"Oh you mean, Halo? Don't be silly. Of course she has none. She'd been locked away in a portal!", Toothfairy had to stifle a laughter. Jack, on the other hand, was scrunching his brows, trying to make out something from what Tooth has said.

"Halo? Did Grim try to do that on purpose?", Jack asked with seriousness. Tooth didn't know what he meant, so she was just as confused as ever. "What do you mean?", she asked.

"Halo?? Why would he name her daughter, Halo??That's just silly. It's simply the opposite of him!" Jack's comment earned a laughter from Toothfairy. But after a moment or so, Tooth's smile had to fade. She knew this was the right time to talk about serious stuff with Jack. If anyone could understand his heart, she was the better deal.

 

Toothfairy held Jack's hand that caught him off guard. Before Jack could even respond, she just reassured him with her infamous, gentle smile. "Jack. I know this is hard for you.", she started off. But Jack didn't say anything. He stared at her, as if waiting for Toothfairy to talk more.

"But I think Sandy's right. This may be the only way to save Halo." Jack gently brushed off Toothfairy's grasp. Why does he feel like Tooth's pitying him? The last thing he wanted right now is for someone to belittle him, really. He sat on the edge again, staring at his stick as he played it with his fingers.

"Then make her a Guardian. We need to save her, right?", he said it with bitterness that he couldn't help but to let Toothfairy feel it. Tooth's heart was pinched with what she saw. She didn't mean to hurt Jack's feelings, she just wanted to let him know what they should do as Guardians. "Jack", she called her with so much gentleness that Jack wanted to curl and tear up. "All I know is that, Manny chose us for definite reasons. Being a Guardian is enough for any of our kind to be privileged. He trusts us more than you know.", Toothfairy tried to explain.

 

Jack wasn't still convinced. But he does know what he should do and he could not let anyone down because of his insecurities. "Thanks, Tooth. Where do you think is Halo anyway?" He was not still looking straightly at Toothfairy. He just couldn't wear off his upset eyes.

Toothfairy had to hug Jack, it seemed appropriate for she knew it takes so much guts for Jack to say that. "I honestly don't know Jack. But my Babytooth are on the job...I should let the others know too.", she smiled down at him.

Toothfairy bid her goodbye to Jack for a while. She said she had to attend to some tooth-involved matters and she said her time was being eaten up. Jack had to utter a sad smile. He wished he could be as busy as the other Guardians, he wished he could be more recognized. But with the new Guardian in line, he doesn't think he'll be able to do so anymore.