Chapter 6

No One Knows

I measured out the rice and water, and started to cook rice. There were some side dishes that were bought from the grocery store in the refrigerator. Otherwise, the refrigerator was pretty empty. I poured some milk, and found it lumpy. Grimacing, I dumped it out on the sink, as well as the contents of the whole carton. The kitchen began to reek like cheese. This would have been a sad situation to look at, but I was so used to it that it didn't matter to me anymore. Anything that was edible and enough to appease my hunger was good enough for me, no questions asked. It's not like I needed milk desperately anyways. If I had wanted to eat more food, I should have gone out, and bought it. That's the way things worked now.

I sat there, munching on the freshly steamed rice, along with some kimchi, and seaweed. I wrote out the things we would need to buy so I could pick it up from the grocery store later. Or ask mom to pick it up. Since my leg is like this.

I looked down at my leg. Speaking of which, I should get it checked from the hospital, right? I hoped it would heal quickly. It really was restraining me from doing everyday activities. Suddenly, my anger towards Youngshin flared up. Ugh, this is so frustrating.

I just decided to go to sleep early. Too much had happened today and I was exhausted. I was feeling confused. I was looking forward to tomorrow, but at the same time I really did not want to go. My mind searched for the reason, and found it instantly. Dayoung. I shook that thought off. Ha! Who does she think she is? I shook my head and sighed. What was I saying? She did nothing but help me, seriously. I don't know why, but I must be screwed up right now. Not thinking straightly. At all.

As much as I wanted to deny it though, I couldn't completely resist the thought that Dayoung may be the reason behind this controversial state of mind. I wanted to see her. Her face, her attitude, her actions. I wanted to observe her. At the same time, I was intimidated by her. As funny and unreasonable as this sounded, she was just different. Something was off, and I had an intuitive conviction there was something outlandish about her.

The strangest thing, was that I couldn't, I could not ever completely shake off the thoughts about her. I realized that even when I was so absorbed in the soccer game, I did not completely forget about Dayoung. It was all new to me. It was natural for me to forget, it happened unconsciously, without effort, but now, when I'm trying to forget, I couldn't do it.

I couldn't understand.

And I was frustrated.

Maybe I should just talk to her. Talk to her, so I can convince myself that she's just another typical girl. Another typical girl, that I don't have to pay any attention to. Just another girl out of the thousands I've met in my life. Easy to forget, easy to erase, out of my thoughts, into the back of my mind. I hated this feeling. I was used to just being so sure of myself. I hated her who made me like this, but I was still attracted to her. UGH. This does not make sense at all!

Although I knew she would be the first person I would think of when I wake up, that she would not be forgotten through my sleep, I decided to ignore my burning curiosity, do my homework, and just sleep. At least tonight. I lay in bed staring at the ceiling for a long time. At some point, I must have drifted off to sleep, because the next morning, I found myself jump out of bed due to the annoying alarm clock.

As I followed through my morning routine slower than usual due to my ankle, I realized I didn't tell my mom about my leg. And I couldn't ride my bike with my ankle in this state. CRAPPP What to do??? Then, I noticed a note on the refrigerator that I had neglected to read.

The start of it was of the usual context, but it was a lot longer than usual:

I heard about your ankle injury from Jihae. I was so worried about you! I know you can take care of yourself, but I'm still you mother, and I wish you would tell me about these things. I made a reservation at the Seoul National Hospital at 5, and arranged for a cab to pick you up at school at around 4:15. I gave the driver your number, so he's gonna call you when he's near the school. Oh, and I asked Mr. Lee to pick you up and drop you off at school until you heal. Yes, you're going to be riding to school with Jihae. Be thankful that you have a ride, and you have to ride home with her too, okay? If I hear that you didn't, you'd better be prepared for a good explanation. I just want you to be safe, I don't ever want to lose you.

I love you, mom.

While I was reading the letter from my mom, I went through a series of different emotions. I felt sorry for not notifying my mom earlier, I admit, she must have felt disappointed to find out that I got crutches from Jihae, who's not even that close to me. I was relieved because of the hospital reservation, but when I found out I had to carpool with none other than Jihae from now on, I was terrified. All traces of the regret I felt towards my mom completely disappeared into thin air.

Is this how she punishes me? Make me ride with Jihae? Does she expect me to be fine with this?

I felt a surge of anger for a second, but sighed. It was no use blaming anyone. It was true that I needed a ride to school, and Mr. Lee agreed to  provide it. It was no use refusing it, especially since Mr. Lee was my mom's boss no matter how close their relationship was. I calmed down a bit, recomposing myself. I ate a spoonful of rice, chewing more forcefully than usual, and forced it down. I was blankly staring at space, just eating breakfast, when a long, black limousine glided in the driveway.

I winced, preparing myself for what would happen. I watched through the window as Jihae stopped out of the car, wearing her school uniform, specially personalized so the edges of her uniform would be pink. She was wearing pink stockings, and many pink badges on her blazer. From afar, she would look like a pink blob despite her uniform. I really had no idea how she pulled it off. She checked her hair in the car rearview mirror, smoothing it a bit, examining herself.

When she declared herself ready, she flounced to my doorstep, and rang the doorbell again and again and again.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DINGGG

I got up with my crutches, unable to plug my ears because of my crutches, swore, and opened the door with a forced smile. Instantly, I could smell a strong whiff of a scent from Victoria's Secret. Too strong. I finally completely understand the meaning of: Too much perfume, not enough space.

"Oppa! Jihae was so worried! But Jihae was so happy when appa told Jihae that Jihae would get to ride with Baekhyun oppa!" she cooed, and I cringed inwardly. I really do not get why she uses third person when she talks about herself. And why does she call me oppa? I'm what, three months older than her?

"Oh yea, tell Mr. Lee I feel really grateful that he's doing this for me." I replied with a polite smile.

"Oppa, Jihae was so mad at Youngshin for hurting my Baekhyun oppa. Jihae will crush him for you." she pouted. I wanted to puke. I don't know how, but I managed to pull off a smile as I got my backpack and crutches, and rode to school with her blabbing next to me nonstop. It took all my years of experience of acting, and I was very impressed by myself. The joy when the car ride ended was indescribable. I felt like a prisoner escaping from the Alcatraz successfully, when I realized that this would be part of my morning routine for whatever time it took for my ankle to heal.

I didn't feel so happy anymore.

I wish I was like some vampire from that chick flick, Twilight, so I wouldn't have gotten hurt, or had superhuman healing powers. As far as I knew, I was completely normal in that area.

I sighed like I was the human being on Earth with the most problems. Hold that thought, maybe I was.

I. Am. Screwed.


A/N:

Hey guys! I updated today again, although I guess it's kinda short compared to usual. Well, let's all feel bad for Baekhyun for a little bit....

OH MY GOD HE'S ADORABLE. Gotta love him....

Well, till next time! Love you alllll~

OH PLEASE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE AND UPVOTE AND SHOW ME YOUR LOVEE.