Chapter 4

No One Knows

Before I knew it, the bell rang, and I stared down at my blank piece of paper that were supposed to be my "notes". What had happened to me? I was usually so focused in class, really, because it was easy to not think so much and drown myself in the boring lectures. After all, it was just writing notes. But for some reason, my mind had been a teeny bit, okay, completely occupied by that new girl. Dayoung. It was a weird thing to realization that I was thinking about someone, that wasn't me, or at least someone close to me.

I didn't even know her.

That was just weird for me. Plainly strange. Well, I guess it's okay to act out of character sometimes. Just go to your next class. I thought. Right, my next class. Thankfully, it was my last official class. I would be free from school after that. I could leave after the next class. I would be freed from her, I'd be free from thinking about her, seeing her, and anything simply related to her. This made me relieved, and with a tiny genuine grin, I happily walked over to my last class. Trying to forget about my odd mind.

Last class of the day: P.E.

I changed into my uniform, a gray t-shirt, and blue knee-length shorts. Well, since I'm going to be working, I probably won't have time to think about Dayoung. Or really anything. It should have made me feel happy, and I felt relief. But also something else, I didn't think I could name it, but I must've looked a little down because Junha, a nice, timid guy that I actually didn't zone out too much while talking with, asked me if I was alright.

I quickly threw him a friendly glance and a friendlier smile and told him I was perfectly fine. Junha seemed satisfied with the answer and my reaction, and chased after his friends to line up at the gym. I checked myself in the mirror lining the wall at the side of the locker room. Smile, Baekhyun, smiling is key, I reminded myself, no one should figure you out. Forget about Dayoung now, okay? Have fun.

With one last bright smile at my reflection, I headed out to line up at the gym too. When I got there, I saw that about three-fourths of the class was already there. Students were chattering among one another, girls tying each others' hair up, guys wrestling for fun, most people just talking. Mindlessly, I scanned the room and unconsciously noted that Dayoung wasn't here yet. More and more students kept coming, and soon, Dayoung was the only one that wasn't here. I didn't even realize I was thinking about her. I was just quietly staring at the doorway, surrounded by a group of people, saying something here and there, making everyone laugh.

The doorway swung open, and a sharp whistle drew our attention to the coach that was standing in front of the class with Dayoung. Right, I lamely reminded myself, she's new.

"I'm pretty sure all of you know who Lee Dayoung is by now," said Coach Park, our strict P.E. teacher. Murmurs of agreements, nods, smiles, and frowns spread among the students. I saw Jihae whisper something to her friend and laugh.

"Since she's new, she will be excused from having to wear her uniform, but starting tomorrow, she will join all of you in the regular curriculum." the Coach explained. Most of us didn't really care. Since P.E. wasn't an academic subject, many students cared less about it. Still, you had to get a good grade in P.E. to get a good GPA and stay in the school, which required at least a 3.0 GPA for students to remain enrolled, we all ran during runs, and participated during activities.

All around me, my classmates broke out talking again as Coach Park gave Dayoung some basic directions and guidelines to follow. I intently watched her as she walked over to the bleachers with poise, and sat down, back straight. The coach announced that our activity today would be indoor soccer. I smirked. It was a sport I could sincerely enjoy, and to be honest, I was quite competitive. It could be counted as one of the only things in this world that I cared about. The other team, was so going down. As usual, I got nominated as a team captain, and another guy named Ahn Youngshin, was the opposing team's captain.

I scanned the guy, and tried to remember everything I knew about him. Decent grades, popular, athletic, and considerably good looks. He had many girls chasing after him too, but he knew it. And to my observation, he enjoyed it. He loved the attention he got, and I could tell that he was thrilled to be chosen as captain as he came up to the front, winking at the girls. For some reason, he also waved at Dayoung, and feeling unreasonably alarmed, I quickly glanced over to see her reaction. To my satisfaction, she was too busy playing with her brown school blazer to notice Youngshin's wave. I couldn't tell if she really missed the wave, or if she was ignoring Youngshin, but as long as she didn't show a positive reaction, I was happy. Whoa there, I thought, slightly startled. Backtrack, and just what did you say there? I shook my head a little, trying to clear my mind and get refocused on the game, not some girl.

I turned my gaze to Youngshin, and he steadily gazed back. We stood there eyeing each other for a few seconds, and I got the feeling that this guy was really going to try. He was absolutely determined to try to beat me, no, beat me. Hah, that wasn't going to be too easy. Was I sensing a vibe of inferiority from this guy? Probably. We started to choose our teammates. I tried to pick out good people, but I had to admit to myself that I was still not very focused on soccer. About five minutes later, everyone was divided into two teams, and the game officially began. We didn't get to play with an actual soccer ball, since it was "indoor soccer", so we had to make-do with a flimsy foam dodgeball. It was challenging, because it was harder to control and incredibly light, but I found myself getting used to it.

It was a pretty intense game, and I had to admit that Youngshin was fairly good. A worthy opponent. It was a fast-paced game, with sharp yells, scurrying feet, and many whistles that were beginning to hurt my ears. I was beginning to get fully drowned in the atmosphere of the game. I was running, panting, and sweating. A lot. The coach called for a five minute break, and everyone just dropped to the floor, panting. We were ahead by a point, and our teammates were clapping each other on the back, congratulating one another, while the other team was in a huddle, probably coming up with some more effective game plan. I grinned. Whatever they did would be in vain.

The break soon ended, and we were in our "aggressive mode", quote the girls, again. I looked over to Youngshin and smirked. He smiled back, and gave me a thumbs-up. It may have looked like a friendly gesture from afar, but I knew it wasn't. His smile was faked, and it was a hard, sarcastic one. I started to get an uneasy feeling, and I froze for half a heartbeat, but continued to walk over to the center of the field. I could feel someone staring at me, and turned. Dayoung was glaring in my direction, wait, why? Nevermind, it wasn't at me, but when I followed her gaze, I realized it was at Youngshin. I could tell her mind was working furiously as she furrowed her eyebrows, her eyes narrowing at Youngshin's figure.

The coach's whistle blew again, and we were back in the game. Each team fought each other with renewed force. More goals were scored, groans, cries of joy, pants, were echoing everywhere in the gym. It was very hot in here now, and the girls were complaining about how humid it was and how they were "so red and disgusting from all the running". Well, I guess that was the case for most girls at this school. Most of them didn't do any household chores, grocery shopping, or exercising because their maids were always there to assist them.

I was jogging around the field to be open and looking for opportunities to get the ball. The score was tied right now with barely three minutes left in the game. A ringing voice shouted, "Baekhyun, here!"

I quickly saw the ball coming, and I easily gained control of the ball, racing towards the goal. Come on, come on, just a bit faster, just a bit more control, and you'll score the winning goal. I felt everything else, everyone else disappear around me, leaving just me and the goal in my view. I guess soccer had that effect on me. I was so close, I would be cheering in victory in about--

"Baekhyun, look out!" I heard my teammates yell in alarm. I lost my complete focus on the goal and looked to see why they had yelled and saw Youngshin, coming fully head-on towards me. He tackled me, and we rolled on the ground a few times before coming to a stop. I was taken aback. Caught in surprise. My vision was fuzzed and my head stung a little. Seriously now? It was soccer, for god's sake, not football. I was very annoyed, and the pain from rolling on the ground was sinking in, and I could feel my right ankle screaming in agony in its very uncomfortable position. I groaned in pain. My cloudy vision cleared, and I could see the many people that had suddenly crowded around us seconds ago, sending us worried glances and buzzing around us gasped. Coach Park came breaking through the wall of people, sounding breathless.

"Are you guys both okay?" He shouted, and it added to my already existing headache. Beside me, I could feel Youngshin untangling himself from me, and sitting up. I copied his movements, but my ankle refused.

"Ouch," I muttered. I earned worried glances from my classmates around me. Then I heard a ear piercing scream, and I closed my eyes. Shoot.

"Oppa! Oh my god! Are you okay? Oppa, say something!" it was a girl's voice. Jihae's. It was annoying. It hurt to not cover and strangle her at this point. She obviously did not take the hint, and kept screaming. "Youngshin, what the heck, why did you do that? Are you seriously that stupid?"

I wasn't too surprised that Youngshin tackled me though. That menacing smile of his, I knew it meant something ominous. Beside me Youngshin, flinched slightly, and let out a sheepish smile and a grin. "I'm sorry, I guess I was too focused on winning."

I wanted to scoff, but Jihae did it for me. For once, I wasn't annoyed at her actions. "So you just decided to hurl yourself at my precious Baekhyun oppa? Screw you! He's hurt!" Youngshin narrowed his eyes, but turned to me and muttered a curt "sorry". I could tell from his expression though, that he positively wanted to strangle me with his bare hands. I didn't say anything back, but I just looked at the coach. Jihae and Youngshing started bickering, and it was getting on my nerves, but I couldn't go anywhere because of my injured ankle. Oh, would someone please let me explain this awkward position my ankle is placed in? I thought, feeling impatient.

Then, I saw a small, feminine voice quietly murmur in my ear, "Hey, are you okay? Where does it hurt?" I turned to face the girl, and found out it was her. Dayoung. I was honestly surprised I hadn't even noticed her presence beside me. I was usually the one to notice small movements. But then, it was hard to notice anything since Jihae and Youngshin were continuously bickering beside me.

Dayoung repeated her question in my ear, and I regained myself and answered, "My ankle. My right ankle. I think I twisted it when I fell." Her inspecting gaze fell upon my ankle and I saw her analyze the positioning of it.

She her lip, and muttered, "Ouch, that must hurt." She then smiled a tiny, charming grin. "You really didn't get a chance to explain, huh?" I was extremely grateful that someone finally noticed my unmoving position. I wanted to thank her, but before I could say anything, she carefully lifted up my ankle and turned it slowly so it would be at a normal position, then turned to walk over to the coach and told him about my ankle. I sighed in relief as my pain subsided, though I still didn't think I would be able to walk. I watched the coach's eyes widen as she told him of my twisted ankle, adding her professional inspections. Hm, she seemed to have some range of knowledge in the medical area. The coach scurried over to me.

"Do you think you can walk, Baekhyun?"

"Umm... Not unless I want to fall straight on my face."

"Okay, then I'll send Junha to get the nurse."

So, a few minutes later, Junha came back with the panting nurse, and when she lightly touched my ankle, I screamed and closed my eyes. I could hear a few snickers from the back, but they were quickly shushed by deathly glares from others. Thankfully, to our advanced nurse and the wide range of medical supplies we had at school, I was luckily able to get a cast at school. Two students assisted me to the bleachers, and I muttered a "thank you" and sat there idly waiting for the P.E. period to end, until Dayoung approached me with crutches in her hands.

"Here you go," she said mildly, "the nurse told me to give these to you."

I accepted them gratefully, and sincerely said, "Thank you. Really, for everything."

She raised her eyebrows, but quickly sent a cordial smile, nodding. "I can't just leave a helpless person to fend for themselves, right?"

I chuckled beside her. I felt myself actually tuning into the conversation with Dayoung, unlike most of my conversations with other people where my mind wandered around aimlessly, while I was talking about something totally different. "I'm sorry, too, by the way."

At this, her smile turned into a slight frown, and I winced. I hadn't meant to hurt her by ignoring her. It was just that...Just what? I had no answer. Our conversation came to an abrupt stop, and I stared at the lights on the ceiling, awkwardly trying not to meet her gaze. The bell rang, and I gathered my crutches, about to get up, when her voice interrupted me.

"It's fine. I guess not everyone can like me at first sight, right?" she gave me a smile, but it looked forced. Then she quickly got up, turned around, and speedily walked off. So she thought I disliked her, huh? Well, that wasn't exactly true, but if that was the idea that she was getting... I stared after her retreating figure, and when she disappeared, I got up, wobbling to the locker rooms to at least try to change into regular clothes.


Hello! Here's another long update, and hope you all enjoy.

Please subscribe, comment, and vote. Seriously, I have no comments guys...T.T..... but I would really love to know what you guys all think about this story so far. ^^