Chapter 5

No One Knows

It was a very challenging task to get to the locker room with a broken leg. I panted, tired from the effort. It was really hard enough to open the heavy metal door of the gym holding crutches. Ugh, I never realized how heavy the door is. I fell on my because I dropped one of my crutches while trying to open the door, just to sigh in frustration as the door closed when I fell. After a few more attempts, the door opened, and I was through. Who knew opening the door would feel like such a big accomplishment? I smiled, not caring of how weird of a sight I would be right now, and continued to make my way to the locker room through a deserted pathway.

Changing into regular clothes proved to be hard too, but with the assistance of the wooden bench in the locker room, I was able to get dressed normally, although it took me about twice as much as it normally would. I looked in the mirror. Really, there was no point. The school should be pretty empty by now. Only people there would be was some teachers, and students. I frowned. There was still going to be students...and teachers. I couldn't let my guard down. With a perfect smile, I picked up my backpack and headed down the corridors, awkwardly walking with my crutches. It used to seem fun to swing on crutches and jump as far as you could when my legs were fine. With a broken leg, it was just cumbersome. Another heavy workload. By the time I could see the garden up ahead, which was all the way across the school from the locker rooms, I was sweating and panting. Our school was large, if that could serve as an excuse. I began to appreciate my legs a lot more than I did. You never know how to appreciate the things you have until they're gone.

I made my way over to the secret place. My secret place. It was still as peaceful as ever. Exasperatedly, I threw my crutches on the soft grass and threw myself on the bench, looking up at the sky that was gradually beginning to redden. I stared at my bike. Oh god. I can NOT ride a bike with a freaking broken leg. I stared at it in plain annoyance, and reached into my pockets for my phone. It wasn't there. Fear started to dawn on me, and I quickly took my backpack and threw everything on the ground. Ah, there it was. Among the many pieces of paper and notebooks, there was my phone. I began to laugh in relief though all my things were scattered on the ground, in danger of being carried away by the wind. I started picking up some pieces of paper and my notebooks while dialing Suho's number. He picked up on the third dial.

"Hey, Baekhyun! What's up? Do you want to hang out?"

I laughed freely. Fakely. "Well, I'd want to, but I'm not sure if I'm in the condition to. But I have a favor to ask you, is it okay?"

"Of course! Come on, you're like family. Your wish is my command."

I grimaced at the word "family". Were we like family? What is a family? I couldn't think of an exact answer. "Um, well, you see. I broke my leg at school, and I have to go home, but I biked to school, and my mom is at work..."

"What? Oh man, that's what Jihae was trying to tell us. I'll be there in like, five minutes, okay? Wait, where at school are you?"

"Uh, near the garden-"

"Just stay there, and don't move. You've had enough trouble. I'll take the bike on the car, so just try to stay upright while walking."

"I think I'll manage that. Really, thank you so much hyung. I'm sorry for giving you trouble."

"Don't say that! Isn't it obvious for me to help you in a situation like this? If you say you're sorry, it's like saying we're not friends."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!"

"Good, good. See you in a bit" And Suho hung up. I quickly replayed the conversation in my head. Friends... Family... I wondered what the exact meaning of those would be. It was a confusing concept. Indefinite. Maybe I never really had an actual one. Or remember how it was like to have one. I kept thinking about it as I hauled the bike from my secret place to the garden. I didn't know how I did it. The only thought that kept me going was that I absolutely, positively, could not reveal this sacred place to anyone. Even a person like Suho. I wonder if there would be a person I would voluntarily take with me to see this place. What about.... No, no one else would see it. Not anymore. Never. As the past started to overwhelm me, I quickly pushed it away. I pushed it away, the memories, and put on an apologetic smile just as Suho came, yelling my name.

"Baekhyun!" he waved, and I waved back, taking a wobbly step towards him.

"Hyung, that was quick." I grinned.

"Well, of course. My dongsaeng's in trouble. Come on, let's go. Do you want to stop by for ice cream before going home, or should I just drive you home so you can rest?"

"Sorry, but I feel like I'm gonna drop out like any second right now, so can I just go home?"

"Sure. I understand. Let's go to my car, and you'd better start explaining how this happened to you."

I smiled as I walked leisurely with Suho who was pulling the bike along. I began to explain what happened during P.E. I left out the part where I was totally focused on Dayoung for the most of my day, and how she was the only one who actually noticed my injured ankle.  In fact, I didn't mention her at all. Still, the stuff about Youngshin made Suho irritated. I could clearly tell Suho was annoyed by his expression though he didn't openly just start swearing and yelling like some others would. He was gentle like that.

"Youngshin, huh? I bet he's just another kid that's jealous of your perfection. But that's just makes him look worse, to attack you like that? So cheap. I'd say, not to mind it too much, since Jihae already seems like she's planning on crushing him." Suho remarked thoughtfully.

I smiled, half-sincerely because of his such caring attitude. "Yeah, I guess. And honestly, I'd feel kind of bad for anyone who suffers Jihae's wrath fully."

Suho laughed, throwing his head back. "Yup. He's gonna be in some serious trouble. I guarantee it."

I laughed along, and we continued to talk about just some random things going on around school. Suho was just a good listener, comfortable to talk to compared to many people. Distracting me from my secluded mind. Too soon, I arrived home. We exchanged our good-bye's, Suho unloaded the bike from the trunk, and drove off. As soon as his car was out of sight, my smile disappeared, and I checked my watch. 5:58 P.M. Not a minute more, not a minute less. I stared at the watch until it changed to 5:59, and then looked at the bike. With my crutches, I walked towards the door, and opened the door, quickly throwing my belongings in the house. Then I walked back out, unsteadily trying to pull and push the bike to the fence so I could tie it securely again. After completely the given task, I walked home, locking the door as I walked in. I the lights, and looked around again.

Silence.

Another silence greeted me, all too familiar. Except this time, all the things that happened to me that day. I hobbled over to the couch before collapsing on it. It was all too overwhelming. Suddenly, I began seeing Dayoung's face everywhere. Millions of her face. I must be going crazy. A headache started building up. I'm not exactly sure of the following events, but I woke up, hours later, staring up at the dark ceiling of my room.

I think I vaguely remember dragging myself up here before passing out on the bed. I checked the clock on my nightstand. 8:46 P.M. So I didn't sleep for too long. And my mom probably isn't back from work. I checked my phone, and found myself being flooded with the number of missed calls and new messages. Twenty five missed calls from each Sehun, Chanyeol, Suho, Jongin, Kyungsoo, Jihae, and....and my mom... There were ten new messages total too. None were from my mom though. I felt a twinge of disappointment. I rubbed my eyes and began to read the texts.

From Suho Hyung:

Hey Baekhyun, I told the other guys about what happened. If you're getting bombarded with calls and texts, I'm sorry.

From Sehun:

HYUNG! MY LOVELY BAEKHYUN HYUNG!! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUUU????

From Suho Hyung:

Oh, I forgot to mention. How are you feeling? I realized I should've probably helped you lock your bike to the fence. I'm so sorry!!

From Jongin:

Hyung! Are you okay? Does your ankle hurt a lot?

From Kyungsoo:

Oh my god, I heard about what happened to you! Tomorrow, I'm going to cook you some healthy nice lunch, so you'll feel better, okay?

From Kyungsoo:

Hehe, I'm not going to bother asking what you like, 'cause I know you'll eat anything I cook, right?

From Jihae:

OPPA!! JIHAE WAS SO WORRIED. THE OTHER OPPAS WOULDN'T LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TOLD THEM ABOUT YOU.

I grimaced. I guess this was what Suho hyung was talking about. Ha! I would run away from her too, as fast as possible. I continued to scroll down.

From Chanyeol:

Baekkie! Are you feeling alright? Do you need me to carry you through school tomorrow??

From Jihae:

Oppa, do you think you'd feel better if your cute and lovely Jihae gave you a hug, or do you think it'd be better if Jihae gave you a kiss?

I cringed, physically. My subsiding headache, that had reduced to a dull ache suddenly fired up again, this time with a sick feeling in my stomachache. I quickly deleted the message, trying not to read the content again, and drank the cup of water placed on my desk across my bed to try to calm my insides.

From Chanyeol:

Actually, maybe you would be too heavy for me... JUST KIDDING. Anything for you Baekkie!!! <3<3<3\

I felt myself laugh out loud, and I cheered up, a bit. Lately, I've been getting bit by bit closer to these guys. Like actually closer. Was I ready to open up though? Probably....not. Nope, I wasn't ready to open myself again. I didn't know when I would be ready. I just knew it wouldn't be soon. With my phone in my hand, I headed downstairs for some food. Man, the hunger is seriously kicking in!


Hey guys!! I am seriously sooooo sorry I haven't been updating for more than a whole month!!!!

MIANHEYO. JINJA JINJA MIANNNNN~~~~

It may just sound like plain excuses, but I've just been having a hard time in general in life. Not just school, but family problems, etc.....

Well, I'm getting better now, and I've started writing again. I really promise I'll update more frequently!!!

Show me your reactions and love for this fanfic by: Commenting, Subscribing, and Upvoting!! This really helps to motivate me, because I sometimes feel that I'm just writing crap that no one wants to read...T.T....

I know my writing isn't the best, but please keep reading, and watch out for more Dayoung and Baekhyun!! I sincerely thank you for reading this! XD