[5] In Your Arms

A MUSE'S REBELLION

It felt like ages since Sungah had slept so well. She had a stupid grin on her face as she realized there was a Erin and Hyunjoo sleeping on both sides of her. She sat up and softly patted Hyunjoo's bare thigh. The beautiful woman fluttered her eyes open and gave her a sleepy smile.

"Good morning Sungah. Slept well?"

"Of course. Do you know you move in your sleep?"

Hyunjoo was tall, her long legs once a prize when being a fashion model was a somewhat profitable career. With the kingdom in shambles, she had turned to helping an old friend with her services, until she was killed off by the Royal Family. Since then, Hyunjoo became the mother to all her beautiful girls, and took care of them lovingly. Especially her closest friend, Erin, who was the local favorite among men (and women) in town.

"So I've been told, haha. Did I kick you by mistake?"

Sungah's loud laughter woke up Erin, who in turn sat up and starting tickling Sungah to death. Hyunjoo got up and reached for a bra.

"So, about last night. You wanted to know about General Eunji, hm?"

Sungah was half panting after Erin's merciless teasing, and nodded with a breathless grin.

"I don't know if it's true. When you're in charge of an service, you hear a lot. But I've heard, Eunji...and Commander Hyuna used to be best friends."

Sungah bolted up from the bed in shock. 

"You're kidding! It sounded like they positively hated each other..."

"It's because they fought over Sera." Erin interjected, her back turned as she was searching for some to slip on. Sungah sat back on the bed confused.

"But...Sera's not even a general...in fact...to be honest..."

Hyunjoo, finally somewhat clothed, patted Sungah's head.

"Sera's the most integral part of the Resistance. As a new recruit, you probably think it's just a rebellion against the Royal Family. But there's more to it."

Erin put a shirt over Sungah's head and gave her a mysterious smirk.

"Do you believe in magic, Sungah?"

"Eh?!"

"Hehe...nothing. Don't worry about it. There's a lot no one really knows. It's probably for the best anyway."

"Erin's right. I don't really care about the reasons...I'd be much better off with the entire Royal Family dead. I support the Commander. And I definitely support the rebellion."

Sungah nodded enthusiastically and Erin laughed.

"Let's get some breakfast. I'm starving."

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Commander Hyuna reviewed her plans for the last time. She rubbed her headache away. It was stressful thinking about how every point of their next move could easily end the entire rebellion.

But...if we don't act now...we could lose this chance...

There was light music playing in her tent. Ever since the Royal Family had forbidden most forms of entertainment, musicians had to hide and make music underground. Even places that served drinks and had music were few and far between, and usually in places the Royal Family didn't have troops stationed.

But Hyuna loved music. She loved to sing. She dreamed of it ever since she was young.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey Hyuna, guess what?" Sera had her long black hair braided on both sides and Hyuna laughed as she looked down from her top bunk of the bed. All the girls had washed up and were ready for bedtime.

"Mmm?"

"I have this song in my head~" She said, looking up at her best friend and the corners of Hyuna's lips curved as she saw how innocently happy Sera looked. 

"Sing it for me..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"HEY! SHUT UP!" 

There was a loud crashing coming from the next room and immediately all the orphans cringed in their beds. 

"Sera, hide! Come up here quickly!"

Sera scrambled up to the top bunk and covered herself in Hyuna's blankets. The door to the beds banged open and the angry drunken head master barged in.

"WHERE THE IS THAT STUPID GIRL?"

Silence as all the orphans diverted their eyes from the blinding light pouring into the dark room.

"I KNOW IT WAS YOU, SERA. GET THE OUT OF YOUR BED, RIGHT NOW!"

He forcefully tore her sheets and was even more enraged when he found it empty.

"WHEN I SEE YOU, I'M GONNA KILL YOU!"

He banged the door behind him, and Hyuna released the biggest sigh of breath. The other orphans were silent.

She felt Sera trembling right next to her.

"Don't worry..." She whispered into her ear, running her fingers through her hair, "...he's gone, don't worry..."

"Hyuna...we can't stay here...we definitely can't..."

"We're almost fifteen Sera....just wait one more year and he'll sell us off. We'll be free of him then...we just need to wait."

Sera felt her tears wet Hyuna's shoulders.

"....I don't want to be sold Hyuna. I want to be a singer. I want us to sing together. Forever."

Hyuna felt her own tears well up in her eyes. She held Sera tightly under the covers.

"Are you sure....Sera..."

"I'm sure."

Hyuna looked at Sera in the dark, and softly kissed her on her cheek.

"We'll leave. Tomorrow. We'll escape this place. And be singers."

 

 

 

 

 

Now wasn't the time to be lost in reverie, Hyuna shook her head. As she looked down at her plans for the last time, she stared at her pager. 

Get over yourself. Come on...

"General Eunji. Please report to my tent immediately."

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you're sure he's gonna be there?"

"Yes. He's a big fan of her, so I'm sure he'll come. And he'll definitely want a private room with her."

"And you're sure Erin's been with him before?"

Hyuna nodded.

"It almost seems too easy. Your plan is to ambush him when he's alone with Erin, threaten him to take us to the Princess, and then kill her. Then the kingdom is in panic and we take over? That's your plan."

"It's easier said than done, Eunji."

The short haired general sighed and folded her arms.

"Well, has Erin made any requests? What's her opinion on all this."

"I had our recruit Sungah talk to her. She's insistent she'll only do it if...well..."

"What?"

"All of us accompany her to the anniversary party. You. Me. Sera. All of our key players."

"Are you serious?! What kind of diva is this..."

"She's insistent Eunji..."

The general huffed and stared at the plans one more time.

"Ah…it’ll be ten years since we've lived under this tyranny...finally we'll have a worthy ruler. I've been to the Celebration Hall before. But I still can't believe they'll have es as main attractions for this anniversary party..."

"They're not es, Eunji. They're escorts. There’s a difference…"

"Whatever. Anyone low enough for that job doesn't deserve any distinctions."

Hyuna winced slightly. Does she even remember that Sera and I were going to be forced into that...

"Regardless. I'll need you to protect Sera when I can't. I know you haven't been around lately-"

"I'm here now. And I'll protect Sera. That's all I'm here for." Eunji said insistently.

Hyuna looked slightly disheartened. Just like you said all those years ago...that you only care about Sera...not...m…

"Fine. Just do your job. For her sake."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note: I’m very pleased with how this is shaping, since I didn’t really know where to go from here from the last chapter. I just type and let things happen. Hope you’re enjoying it too. I really like the idea of namyu as tough army girls; I sort of picture them in their Ticket outfits.

As you probably figured, this chapter is building up to the final mission, which will take a couple of chapters to pan out. Stay with me till then!

Hm…do you notice some people are missing so far? Wonder what they’re up to…hm? :p