We're All Glass

We're All Glass
4 Years
 
Chanyeol and Vani danced around the little garden behind Chanyeol's house. Vani tripped on a rock and fell. She started to cry.
Chanyeol stopped dancing and rushed over to his best friend. "Why are you crying?"
"It hurts right here." Vani pointed to her leg.
Chanyeol hugged her tightly. 
"Y-yeol," Vani coughed. "Let goooooo! I can't breathe." She squirmed under his tight embrace.
"My hugs make everything better! Look, see?" Chanyeol let go of Vani.
Vani looked down at her knee. "It doesn't hurt so much anymore!" she exclaimed happily.
"Told you so!" Chanyeol grinned.
"Can you hug me everytime I get hurt?"
"Yeah!" 

7 Years

Chanyeol and Vani sat side by side at the table and kept playing with each other. They kicked each other under the table, had little cat fights, just about the type of cute fights all 7 year-olds would have.

"Aren't they so adorable?" Mrs. Park said to Mrs. Lee.
"I've never seen such an innocent friendship," Mrs. Lee said smiling.
The two mothers then turned around to look at the bride and groom.

"You may now kiss the bride," the minister said. The newlyweds kissed, and all the guests applauded and cheered.

Chanyeol and Vani looked up. "Ewww," Chanyeol yelled. Vani blushed. "Oh my gosh, do we have to do that one day?!" Vani exclaimed. Suddenly, their friend, Kai, came over and sat down next to the two. "Well, of course you have, too! My mom said that love makes people marry other people who make each other happy," Kai said.

"Mommy makes me happy. I'm going to marry mom!" Chanyeol announced loudly.

Vani rolled her eyes and laughed. She lightly hit Chanyeol on the head. "You can't marry your mom! That's gross and plus she's already married, pabo!"

"Then marry me, Vani!" Chanyeol smiled. "Pinky-promise?" Vani stuck out her pinkie finger. Chanyeol locked his pinkie with Vani's. "Definitely!" Chanyeol promised. The two young kids laughed and Kai whined. "But I want to marry Vani ~!" Chanyeol grabbed Vani's arm and said protectively, "Yah! She's mine, Jongin!"

Mrs. Park and Mrs. Lee just observed the children and laughed.

13 Years

"Happy birthday, Vani!" Chanyeol screamed from across the other end of the school hallway at his best friend who had just turned 13. Vani blushed and hid her face behind her locker door. Vani's friends laughed and . "Oooohh, Vaniiiii~!!" They all gushed.

Chanyeol ran down the hall, picked her up, and gave Vani a giant hug. "You're growing up!" he said excitedly. Vani hugged Chanyeol back. "Gosh, we are only the same age now, Yeol! Now. Let. Me. Down!"

Chanyeol let Vani out of his embrace and set her down. The two walked to the next class together, leaving Vani's friends behind. Jackie whispered to Nicole, "Chanyeol and Vani make a better couple than Vani and Sehun." Nicole nodded. "I ship VaniYeol!" Jackie and Nicole laughed and walked to their classes also.

17 Years

Vani came to Chanyeol's house directly next door. He opened the door to see his best friend red-faced and in tears. He immediately hugged her as she stood stiff.

"What's wrong?" he asked her with concern.
"S-s-seh .." Vani stuttered, choking on her words.
"Seh? What? Take a deep breath and talk," Chanyeol advised.
Vani tried to and then spoke. "S-Sehun broke up with me." More tears fell from Vani's face.
Chanyeol was shocked. He was going to kill that punk. "We will deal with that later, just come inside for now." He led her onto the couch.

Vani leaned on his shoulder and sobbed uncontrollably. Chanyeol, not really used to knowing how to help girls in situations like this, thought that the best action at the moment was to caress her hair and let her calm down.

About 20 minutes later, Vani stopped crying. She sat up straight and looked at Chanyeol. "T-thanks," she said quietly. Chanyeol smiled. "And sorry about your shirt. It's like all damp on your shoulder now," Vani said sheepishly.
 
Vani sighed and rested her head on Chanyeol's shoulder again. "I don't deserve you as a best friend ..."
"You're right," Chanyeol replied.
Vani quickly jumped off the couch. "I'm sorry, I'll just lea-"
He cut her off. "Let me finish, dammit! What I meant was that ..."
Chanyeol stepped closer towards Vani.
"You deserve me as your boyfriend instead."
He kissed her straight on the lips.

21 Years

Vani picked up her phone. "Yeoboseyo ~"

"Hey, baby. We need to have an important talk."

"What about?"

"I don't want to tell you on the phone."

"Y-you're not breaking up with me, right?" Vani panicked.

"OMO! Of course not!"

"Okay." Vani placed her hand over her heart in relief.

"Pabo. I want to talk about something else!" Chanyeol laughed on the other line.

"Sorry, Oppa. Where do you want to talk?"

"Go to the coffee shop down the block in about 10 minutes and dress nicer than usual, please."

"Eh? But you know most of my closet is just jeans and hoodies~" Vani pouted.

"I can literally imagine you pouting right now, cutie."

"Oppa, you're scaring me. When'd you become psychic or a mind-reader or something?"

Chanyeol laughed. "Silly girl. Just dress up the best you can, but it doesn't really matter, because you look beautiful all the time."

Vani blushed. "Okay, see you in a bit."

They ended their conversation.

-

Vani arrived at the coffee shop wearing a short blue floral dress with a white denim jacket and wedge heels. It was the girliest outift she owned, and it was the first time she had ever worn it before. Vani felt uncomfortable in her own skin, since she was used to tomboyish/baggy-clothing. She shrugged it off, though - if Chanyeol wanted her to dress nice, it wouldn't be a big problem, because she loved him.

Vani's eyes searched the room for her tall boyfriend. She found him by the window and slid into the seat in front of him. "Hi, sorry I'm late, Oppa," Vani smiled. "I could wait forever if it meant seeing you," Chanyeol said. Vani's face immediately turned red and she covered her face with her hands. Chanyeol swatted her hands away. "Aww, don't hide your beauty." That made her turn even redder and he laughed. "You're too cute, jagi." 

"Stop with all the cheesy stuff," Vani complained.

"You know you love it," Chanyeol said, wiggling his eyebrows.

They both laughed.

"So what's the super important stuff you needed to tell me about?" Vani asked. Chanyeol scratched the back of his head. "Err, you know what, this is not the place for it. Let's go out. Shop, walk, anything and whatever you want to do as long as we get to go to the place I want to take you before I bring you home," he said quickly. Vani rolled her eyes. "Weirdo."

Chanyeol winked at her and kissed her on the cheek. "C'mon, this day will be all about you."

-

Chanyeol and Vani had a fun date full of laughter and happiness. They tried out new things like roller-skating and they went to Lotte World together. The day couldn't be more perfect for Vani, but she was proved wrong.

It turned out that the place that Chanyeol wanted to go to was the Seoul Tower. He held Vani's hand the entire time they went to the top. "We've been going out for some time, yet we've never been here together," he chuckled.

The view at the top was breathtaking. The Seoul nightlife was really incredible - it was as if the stars from above and the city lights below all shone brightly just for the two of them. 

The tower appeared to be vacant, although it was only around 11 PM. The Seoul Tower was a highly popular romantic attraction, yet no one was there except for Chanyeol and Vani to enjoy the view. That bothered Vani, but not for long. Chanyeol led Vani to the railing of the tower. He placed a lock in her hand. "Write your message, and then we will lock them together."

Vani wrote a short sweet message about how much she loved Chanyeol, like what most people would write on their lock. She turned to him. "Oppaaa~ are you done yet?" He nodded and took Vani's lock. Chanyeol locked them on a lucky open visible spot. "There," he said, satisfied. "Come look at it, jagi."

She skipped over to him and looked at the lock. Vani tilted her head at confusion. "Why'd you write 'WYMM?' on there? What does that even stand for?" she asked him. Then he did it.

Park Chanyeol knelt down on one knee in front of Vani. He looked at her with an expression that was a mixture of love and determination. Pulling out an open box with a diamond ring inside, he took a deep breath and spoke.

"Lee Vannida, we've loved each other for about 5 years now and have known each other ever since we were young. I want to not appear as just the boyfriend to you, but as a man who would always protect his woman, no matter what extremes of danger I'd have to face. I want to be the one and only person who can treasure you and stay by your side your entire life. I want, no I need, to be the reason why you'll look forward to a brand new tomorrow, because ever since I've fallen in love with you and your charms, you've become my only sole purpose in life. But there's only way I can do any of these things, so if you are willing to take this next step in life with me ...

Will you marry me?"

Vani started to cry and hugged Chanyeol tightly. "Yeah, you can bet I will marry you, you cheesy skyscraper," she said. Chanyeol's expression brightened and yelled out, "IT'S A YES, BABY!!!!"

Suddenly all of Vani's and Chanyeol's friends & family popped out of nowhere. Everyone was cheering. Chanyeol's and Vani's mothers held up a giant congratulations sign. Vani's best friends, An, Jackie, and Nicole, were all wrapping Vani in a huge group hug. Kai slapped Chanyeol on the back. "You did good, bro."

Chanyeol looked at the celebration full of people around him. Even in the massive crowd, all he could see was his now fiancée. He smiled and went over to save his lover from her friends' suffocating embrace.

That day was one of the best days of Chanyeol's and Vani's lives.


25 Years

Vani came back from work late, exhausted. She quickly passed out on the couch. Chanyeol looked over to his small wife and chuckled. He picked her up and laid her onto their bed. Kissing her forehead, he cuddled right beside her and quickly fell alseep. That night, Vani dreamed of horrors.

-

Vani stood in the middle of a giant transparent glass box. Outside of the box was an abyss of black nothingness. Vani's monophobia immediately crept into her mind. Then people started to appear outside of her glass prison.

Family. Friends. Important people who she held close to her heart.

Vani sighed, relieved. "Yay! You all are here. Please help me out, guys!"

She got a different reaction then expected.

Her parents stepped up first. "What did we ever do to have to a child like you?" said Vani's mother and father in unison. Then they both pulled out a gun and shot a bullet at the glass. The glass now had a tiny scratch.

Vani's eyes opened wide. "W-what are you doing?" she stuttered, trying to back away in her box from the growing crowd of angry people who were increasing around her.

"It made me sick everyday in the morning, knowing I'd have to see you later." "I'd rather go through hell and back than still continue being your 'friend'." "Why don't you just die already?" "You're worthless!" "You don't think about anyone but yourself!" "You're just a big fake!"

It was just like that, harsh comments one after the other, straight from the mouths of people Vani cherished. Shaken up, Vani fell to her knees and covered her ears as a failed attempt to shut out all the hate everyone was screaming at her. It just became worse and worse, everyone shooting a bullet each. Yet, the glass prison never broke.

"P-please stop .." Vani whimpered, helplessly.

"Look up," a sudden deep voice called out to her.

Vani looked up to see that her surroundings were just pitch-black. All of the shouts have ceased, since everyone has left. Well, except for one person.

Chanyeol.

Vani crawled to glass wall. "Hey," she croaked. "Help me."

Chanyeol smiled at her. But it wasn't the smile of the man she loved. It was a smile of twisted love and pure hate.

"Of course, baby. Anything for you," he smirked.

Then Chanyeol smashed the entire glass box Vani was captive in with just his bare fist. "I'll help you go to the hell, where you belong." He then quickly vanished.

And then she fell in a rush, downwards, into a black nothingness.

A wave of feelings overcame her. She felt lonely.

Full of hurt.

Yet still so empty.

-

Chanyeol shook Vani awake. Vani then abruptly sat up straight in bed, panting and sweating.

She looked around. It wasn't real ...

"What isn't real?" Chanyeol asked.

Vani stared blankly into space. "I'm sorry, I was probably just thinking aloud."

Chanyeol frowned, but didn't want to further question his wife.

"Just go back to sleep, arrasso?" He kissed her on the forehead and laid his head down on the pillow.

"Good night, Chanyeol. I love you," Vani said.

Chanyeol, more than wide awake, didn't repeat her last words back.


27 Years

"STOP IT!" Vani yelled at Chanyeol. "Why are you doing this?!" she screamed.

Chanyeol threw another vase at the wall. Now-shattered house items littered their home. Broken picture frames fell off the wall. 

He ignored his wife's pleas. Chanyeol lifted several glass plates over his head. Before he could throw them, Vani clutched his arm tightly and slapped him, bringing Chanyeol back to reality.

"LOOK AT THIS!" Vani screamed at Chanyeol's face. "LOOK AROUND YOU! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

Chanyeol's vision blurred into a haze. Vani slapped him again. "LOOK AT ME. WHAT DO YOU SEE?"

His next answer shocked her.

"Someone I'm not in love with anymore."

-

[ several months later ]

Chanyeol came home late, drunk again.

He came to a home that was cold.

Empty. Lonely. Dark.

A home that was now very much like his heart. 

Chanyeol staggered around the house and slipped on something, causing his face to hit the floor. He groaned in pain. He put his hand against the wall to help give him balance to stand up, only to fall down again. Not bothering to try and get up again, he slumped against the wall. Chanyeol picked up the item he had slipped on.

It was a picture.

He observed it carefully. It was hard to analyze the picture in his drunken state, but he managed to make out some people. Two, in fact. A couple that was happily smiling. Their smiles were so genuine that Chanyeol scoffed.

Smiling ... It was something gone from his nature.

Chanyeol had vague memories of happiness. It was only about 5 months ago when Vani and him got divorced, but to him, it was more than that. It was 5 months of a living hell. 5 months of regret. 5 months of misery. 

​It was 5 months without her in his life.

-

"Someone I'm not in love with anymore."

The very second those words escaped his lips, Chanyeol regretted it. He had regretted a lot of things in his life before, but this was by far one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Before he could say something else, Vani spoke.

"Please tell me you're joking."

Her eyes were b with tears. Chanyeol felt as if a knife had been stabbed through his heart. He hated to see her cry.

Chanyeol opened his mouth to speak but he was inaudible. What was wrong with him today? What was wrong with him for the past months? What was wrong with him entirely?

Vani took a step back away from the man she loved more than her own life. She took a deep breath. "What. What's wrong ... please tell me. I want to help you."

Chanyeol stared at her. Finally, he had found his voice. "Nothing's wrong. I've been in a tough situation lately. I'm just tired."

Vani wasn't satisfied with that answer. She wasn't satisfied with Chanyeol at all lately. He came home like this every day now, unrecognizable. Where was the Chanyeol who was happy whenever others were? Where was her Happy Virus? Most of all, where was the man she loved? "Well, what are you tired of?" Vani asked him.

"Everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes, everything."

"Really?"

"Every single thing."

"Are you sure?"

" this, Vannida! Do you need me to define the word 'everything' for you?!" Chanyeol yelled at her in a bitter and irritated tone.

Vani looked down at her feet. In a hushed whisper, she asked, "So you're tired of me? Tired of this relationship, this marriage?"

A minute of silence passed between them.

"I promised you a long time ago that I'd never leave you."

She stayed silent.

"I'm not tired of you, Vani."

Chanyeol was having a hard time believing himself. His head began to hurt.

Vani walked to the front door and opened the door slowly.

"Where are you going?" he asked. "Answer me, baby."

"You want an answer?" she laughed dryly.  "What do you want me to say; that I'm going to take a quick breather? I still love you?"

Vani turned around to look at her husband for the last time.

"All promises are easily broken like glass, Park Chanyeol. That's my answer."

She ran out the door.

You promised that you'd stay by my side.

You promised to never hurt me.

You promised that you'd protect my heart.

I'm as fragile as the promises you have told me.

I'm broken glass.


28 Years (CURRENT)

About a year has passed since Chanyeol and Vani haven't seen each other, and a single day hasn't passed where they both hadn't thought of each other.

Memories of a former happy marriage always surfaced in their heavy minds. To be together with each other was painful, but to be apart was to truly suffer.

Chanyeol listened to what his mind said. Vani followed her heart.

Yet the two lovers were so lost.

-

This Thursday was a special Thursday for Vani. Well, it wasn't really special. There wasn't really a perfect word for this day. Maybe nostalgic was more fitting. She didn't know.

This Thursday was special and nostalgic for Chanyeol, too.

It was a day that led them both to the same place.

At 5 o' clock sharp, Chanyeol and Vani met face to face with each other at the top of Seoul Tower on their engagement proposal anniversary date.

-

Chanyeol couldn't see any of the other couples, families or tourists around them because all of his attention was on Vani. To him, she was still beautiful. But she had changed. She looked as if she had never slept, her eyes wearing dark eyebags. Vani's hair was tangled, unlike her silky hair before. Her body was thin and her complexion was pale. It scared Chanyeol.

At the moment, she was a beautiful stranger.

Vani's heart stopped. She looked at her former spouse with a look of hurt and confusion. He was observing her and frowning. By looking at her, Vani wondered if he saw her pain. Did he see how many nights she cried because of him? Did he see how pathetic she was to not get over a man who didn't want her after a long and seemingly happy marriage? Did he know how she felt terrible over herself because she thought she was the problem? Did he think she was stupid and selfish?

Did he see what she saw bad about herself?

A million questions ran through her mind.

"Why are you here?" they both asked at the same time.

They didn't answer each other.

Chanyeol spoke first. "I don't know. You led me here."

Vani chuckled without emotion. "What am I, your GPS?" she tried to joke.

Chanyeol felt so guilty. He gave her so much pain, yet she still had the guts to try to fake a smile, joke and laugh. He remembered now that this was one of the many reasons why he had fell in love with her in the first place ever since he was young.

He was about to respond when Vani said abruptly, "No. Don't answer that."

"Why?"

"Because I'm afraid of the answer."

So apparently Chanyeol had made her fear him. If he was given a loaded gun right then, he would've shot himself. This was against everything he stood for. He couldn't protect his woman, because he was the monster.

"Let's go to a park and talk. Please," Chanyeol said, practically begging.

What do I have to lose? He took away everything anyways. Vani thought. So she nodded in agreement.

-

They sat down together on an empty park bench. There was a gap of space between them. Chanyeol grimaced.

"Well."

"So."

"We obviously have to talk."

"There's nothing to be said," Vani said coldly.

"You know that's not true."

"I didn't realize that you knew the difference between the lie and the truth."

Her words cut deep.

"If we both fell in love, how come I feel like I'm the only one that's broken?" he asked.

"Maybe it's because I gave you all my love that I have nothing else to break."

Chanyeol was breaking down with every word. This was probably not even the full extent of pain she had been going through.

"That doesn't seem like the case."

"I'm not broken. I used to be. I'm empty now."

Silence lingered in the air. Vani stared blankly into space and Chanyeol awkwardly ran his fingers through his tousled hair in self-frustration.

'Why'd you leave me that day?" he asked, even though he knew the answer. At least, he thought he knew the answer.

She replied with her own question, "Why'd you let me go?"

That was it. That drew the line for him. Chanyeol was tired of a dead-like Vannida. He was sick of her harsh responses, even though he knew it was wake-up call for him. Chanyeol forcefully grabbed her waist, pulled her towards her, and kissed her roughly. Oh, it was so long since they both had physical contact at all.

At first, Vani tried to fight back. "Mhhmhhhmm!" she tried yelling, but his lips muffled whatever Vani was trying to say. This was the worst possible time for this. She squirmed, but Chanyeol was obviously overpowering her. In the end, she let him win and let him hold her closer to his chest. He broke the kiss after she stopped fighting him.

"I didn't let you go," he whispered into her ear.

"If I did, I wouldn't be here in this moment with you. I wouldn't be getting drunk every night and acting stupid over you. I wouldn't be mourning over this woman. But this woman is you, and you are the one who I love, even though I have been neglecting that fact," he said. He rested his head in the curve of her neck and he cried. "Please let me love you again."

She didn't expect this sudden confession. And she didn't expect her heart and mind to say the same thing for once. She didn't expect for herself to still feel something like love.

But she did.

"W-we can try," Vani said, hesistantly. "But how do I know that you still love me?"

Chanyeol placed her head against his heart. "Do you hear my heartbeat? If you do, it means it's still beating, just for you. It's a heart full of love, I've just never given it properly. Lastly, it's a heart that belongs to man that acknowledges his wrongs," he said to her. "Now, will you accept to be the one to hold this fool's heart?" he asked with a nervous grin.

Her heart was touched. Maybe the old, cheesy Chanyeol she had fallen in love with before and had grown up with was still in there.

"Yes, Park Chanyeol."

"Let's try to love each other again."

Vani smiled her first real smile in a long time.

And Chanyeol laughed his first real laugh.