C h a p t e r 2

What Are You? (Short Story) *Completed*

Your mom went to work for a night shift at the hospital.  You were alone in the quiet house.  As always, you were in your room, staring at the ceiling while you listened to your iPod.  You heard suddenly felt the same presence you felt earlier in your room.  You turned your iPod off and sat up, quietly observing your room.

 

          “Close your eyes,” the voice said.  You did and soon felt a cold touch.  You opened your eyes and saw no one.

 

          “Please, show yourself,” you begged, tears just forming in your eyes.  You didn’t know why, it just happened.  You saw a faint figure.  The faint figure became clearer for you.  His eyes were big and gray.  His hair was black and silky looking.  His skin was pale and cold.  He was around the same age as you.  “You look…familiar.  Do I know you?”

 

          “I know you,” he said.

 

          “How?” you asked him.

 

          “Your name is Kim _____.  You’re in your 2nd year in Seoul University.  Your best friend is Lee YeonHee and your only best friend.  You don’t trust people too easily, yet you worry about everyone too easily.  You’re scared to approach to new people because you think that they’ll find you a freak since you have the 6th sense.  Like before, you can hear me and now, you can see me,” he answered.  Your eyes widened and looked at him.  He was still there.  He was still showing himself.

 

          “H-How’d you know?” you asked.  He smirked.

 

          “I have my ways to know about you,” he answered.  “Ask me questions.  You’re dying to know some things.”  You looked at him and nodded.  Hesitantly, you started asking him questions.

 

“Can you touch?” you asked quietly.

 

“No.”  ‘I don’t think I can,’ he thought to himself.

“Can you cry?”
 

“No.”  ‘I hate crying.’

“Can you…feel?”

 

“No.”  ‘If I can’t touch, I can’t feel.’

 

“What are you?”

 

“…”  ‘Can’t you tell?’

 

          “What’s your name?” you finally asked.

 

          “If I tell you, I may never be with you again,” he said.  You bit your lip.  You really want him to stay by you and protect you.

 

          “N-Never mind,” you quietly responded.  He smirked and turned to your door.

 

          “Kim JaeJoong.  Have a good night sleep,” JaeJoong said and disappeared into the air.  Your eyes widened.

 

          “Kim JaeJoong?” you asked yourself.  ‘So familiar,’ you thought.

 

You got out of bed so you can take a quick shower before sleeping.  Once you did, you lied down and stared at the door in front of you when you sleep.  You were hoping that he’ll just appear in front you.

 

          “Sleep,” JaeJoong said.  And you did.

 

A couple of days passed again.  JaeJoong would watch over you and you would just become more curious every day.  You were alone in the house again.  You sat on your bed and soon, you saw JaeJoong in front of you.

 

          “JaeJoong~ah,” you breathed out with a smile.  He just looked at you straightforwardly.  You wanted him to smile.  “Can’t you smile too?”

 

          “Why should I?” he asked.  You gave him a pout and quietly sighed.

 

          “Please?” you asked with innocent eyes.

 

          “I don’t think so.  Why do you want to see me smile?” asked JaeJoong.

 

          “Because I want to,” you quietly answered and slightly blushed.  “Why do you seem familiar?”

 

          “I don’t know.”

 

          “How do you know me?”

 

          “Didn’t I say that I have my ways?”  You sadly looked down, feeling stupid and feeling as if you’re just annoying him.

 

          “Am I…”  You then gulped, scared that you are annoying him when he appears.  “Annoying?”

 

          “If you were, I wouldn’t even be here,” JaeJoong bluntly answered.  You brightened up and looked at him with a smile.  ‘I’m glad,’ you thought.  “It’s passed 9, you should sleep.”  You looked at him confusingly.

 

          “That’s early, JaeJoong,” you said.

 

          “If you sleep late tonight, you’ll be sick the next day.  Sleep now or get sick for the next few days,” he said and disappeared.  Reluctantly, you went to sleep.

 

          “Sweet dreams,” you heard JaeJoong’s voice say.  You fell in a deep sleep with a smile on your face.

 

 

          “_____~ah?” your umma called.  Slowly, you opened your eyes to see JaeJoong sitting on the chair desk and then you looked at door to see your umma.  She seems clueless about JaeJoong’s presence.  Yes she knew about your 6th sense, along with YeonHee, but she didn’t know your situation with JaeJoong.

 

          “Yes, umma?” you responded.

 

          “I’m going to be out for a couple of weeks for work.  Is it okay if you stay here alone?” she asked you as she put on her uniform coat.  You smiled.

 

          “I’ll be fine,” you responded.  “Come home safe.”

 

          “I will.  I love you, sweetie.”
 

          “I love you too.”

 

She then left.  You heard the door closed, knowing now, you’re home alone for the next couple of weeks.  You cheered in happiness.  Forgetting about JaeJoong’s presence, he softly smiled.  ‘That dork,’ he thought and soon disappeared in the air again.  You look up to find JaeJoong, but didn’t see him at all.  You didn’t even feel his presence.  Now, you felt lonely.  You then decided to call YeonHee.

 

          “Don’t, she tried calling you last night and said she was going to Icheon for a few days,” JaeJoong said.  You turned around to see him sitting next to you.

 

          “Did you look at my phone?” you asked him curiously.

 

          “No, I just know,” JaeJoong replied.

 

          “You’re amazing,” you breathed.  “If I talk to you while I’m out, will people find me crazy?”  He looked at you.

 

          “Yes, only you can see me.  No one else can.”

 

          “Wow.  Wait…ONLY me?  JUST me?”

 

          “Yes, only you.  Just you.”
 

          “How?”

 

          “You have another sense, don’t you?”

         

          “Y-Yeah, but…”

 

          “But nothing.  Only you can see me.”

 

          “JaeJoong~ah…how’d you die?” you asked hesitantly.  JaeJoong just looked at you and turned away.

 

          “That’s something…I need to know on my own,” JaeJoong said and disappeared.

 

          “Wait, JaeJoong!” you called out, but he didn’t return.  You sighed and stared straight ahead of you.  “JaeJoong?  Kim JaeJoong?  Kim JaeJoong?”  The name is just hitting you.

 

          “Don’t be in the house all day,” JaeJoong said as he reappeared.  “At least get some fresh air.”  You looked at him and nodded.

 

          “Will you come with me?” you asked quietly.

 

          “I was always with you,” he answered and disappeared again.  When you didn’t see him nor feel his presence, you slightly blush.  You finally got out of bed and casually dressed up to go out for a walk and maybe get some snacks and a new book or manga.  The nice cool breeze hit you, quickly having you relaxed.

 

          “Maybe I should go to Starbucks again,” you said again.

 

          “Don’t, someone broke in yesterday.  I don’t trust that place to be safe yet,” you heard JaeJoong said.  You turned to your right to see him next to you.  Happily, you smiled and nodded.

 

          “Then…Rita’s?” you asked him as you walked ahead.

 

          “That’s good.  You’re getting Mint Chocolate Chip right?” he asked you.  “You’re favorite flavor icy.”  Slowly, you nodded since you were shock.  “I told you, I know about you.”

 

          “B-But how?” you asked in a whisper.  JaeJoong just shrugged.  You saw his shrug at the corner of your eyes.  You just sighed and nodded.  Finally, you found Rita’s and got your favorite flavor of Mint Chocolate Chip.  “Yum.”  JaeJoong smiled at you in adoration.  ‘She’s really cute,’ he thought to himself.

 

          “So…what are you going to do while you’re alone?” JaeJoong asked curiously.  You just shrugged.

 

          “I don’t know yet.  I’ll just see what comes to mind,” you answered him.  JaeJoong just nodded and continued walking next to you.  “Why?”  JaeJoong shrugged.

 

          “Just curious,” he said.  “It’s going to rain in 10 minutes.  Go back home,” JaeJoong said and again, he disappeared.

 

          “Okay then,” you said and quickly walked home.

 

You reached home and soon, it started to rain.  Your eyes widened.  ‘Can he actually predict the future?’ she thought to herself.  Quickly, you entered your home.  You found JaeJoong standing in front of you.  You both looked at each other.

 

          “J-JaeJoong?” you asked.  He looked up at you so that you know you have his attention.  “Can you actually predict the future?”  He just shrugged.

 

          “It just comes to me.  Happened ever since I’m like…this,” he answered.  You just nodded and walked passed him to watch TV.  You turned it on to the news.

 

          “20 year old, Kim JaeJoong’s body is found…” said news reporter, Park JungSoo.