Chapter 5

Through the Camera

D-day. Flags with 2013 Spring Music Festival imprinted on it were waving with the cool breeze that accompanied the day. The crowd was beginning to expand as I stuck the last of Joon Young’s posters onto the barriers that enclosed the audience area, patting them firmly onto the surface.

“Hey, Joon Young’s pretty good-looking.” Jiyeon said, nudging me.

“Or it could just be my pro photography skills.”

“Why can’t it be both?” Joon Young asked.

“Oh Joon Young, there you are! Where-” I gasped as I turned around and saw his racoon-like dark circles which were more prominent than usual, then dragged him off by the arm.

“Umm Eunji?” I kept walking, pushing the door open and then positioning him in front of the mirror. “Eunji,” there was a sense of unease in his voice, “this is the female’s restroom.”

“Omo omo!” A woman gasped as she came out of the toilet.

My eyes widened as I realised. “Omo! Get out, get out!” I said as I pushed him away from the restroom. What was I thinking?! Aigoo.

I finally seated him down onto a nearby bench, then pulled out my under eye concealer and pumped it onto my fingers. “Close your eyes.” I instructed him and then smeared a thick layer over his dark circles. “Remember to wipe it off when you go on stage.” He nodded.

“Tell me I’ll do well.” He said, gazing up at me.

This is it. My chance to pat him on the back, to reassure him, comfort him when I couldn’t last time. I started to extend my hand towards him, smiling at the thought that at least I wasn’t completely helpless. I felt a knock against my back. Of course, I should’ve expected it; things just don’t turn out the way I want them to. Someone just had to bump into me, of all times! Aissi! My hand landed on top of his head. What...

“You’ll do well.” I said, then awkwardly his head like I would to a dog. He watched me, amused. “You’ll do absolutely amazing.” I smiled sheepishly and then removed my hand away, as naturally as I could. “S-should you be heading over to the stage soon?”

“Ye, I should probably go now.” He stood up, but didn’t move. “Hey Eunji...” He said, shoving his hands into the back pockets of his pants then rocking back on his heels as though he was embarrassed. “Thank you.” He finally said.

***

“Roy Kim?” A man with white rectangular glasses approached Roy as he stepped off the stage, holding his hand out for a handshake.

“Ye...” Roy bowed his head as he returned the gesture, supporting his forearm with the other hand.    

“I’m from CJ E&M. Here’s my business card.” Roy took the card with both hands. “Great performance out there! Is there perhaps a demo you could send to us?”

“Of course!” Roy said, excitedly.

“Great! I’ll be looking forward to hearing more from you.” The man said, adjusting his glasses as he left.

“Thank you!” Roy bowed again, baffled from what had just happened. He slowly began to walk while studying the man’s business card.

“Roy!” Jiyeon called out, breaking his daze. “Over here!”

“Oh, Jiyeon and Eunji, didn’t know you two were coming today. I thought you didn’t like these kinds of events Eunji.”   

“Oh, I don’t really mind...”

Jiyeon eyed me disbelievingly, “She’s just helping out Joon Y-”

“Hey, who was that man just then?” I quickly asked, interrupting her.  

“Oh, someone from CJ E&M. He asked for a demo.”

“Really?!” Jiyeon clapped her hands together. “If you become famous don’t forget us!”

“Of course I won’t!” He fixed his eyes on me, “How could I...”

“Ladies and gentlemen,” the host roared into the microphone, “yes, you’ve all been waiting for him. With the voice of an angel... Everyone, he’s quirky, he’s cool, it’s none other than JUNG JOOOON YOUNG!” The crowd cheered loudly, some girls even screamed. Not me, of course, although my heart did skip a beat when he stepped onto the stage, and again when the sunlight hit his face, revealing two conspicuous patches of light beige underneath his eyes. THE. CONCEALER.

Oblivious, he nodded at the drummer behind him, gripped the handle of the microphone with his hand and tapped it twice with his index finger. The music started.  

“Girls always say it like it’s obvious,

That all guys are like wolves.

I doubt they know what they are saying,

The real wolves only know

How to love one woman.”

Roy was right. I loathed these types of events. The booming music, deafening doof doof manipulating the natural beating of my heart, which surely wasn’t healthy, and not to mention the intrusion on my personal space. I felt myself being pushed against the barrier. Aigoo, was this a festival or some kind of back rubbing event?   

“They say the ones controlling the world

Are always men,

But the ones controlling those men

Are always women.”

On stage, Joon Young was comfortable, he was confident. The loneliness faded in his eyes, and his worries, his frustration tucked away in a place temporarily inaccessible. He was passionate, and he was good...really good. The mass of people, the pushing and shoving no longer mattered, only he did.

“Girls never know what they want,

They always change their minds.

If I live like the wind

Pretty girls are mine.”

The song ended and people wildly cheered for him. “Kamsahamnida.” Joon Young said, then stepping off the stage as the next performance started. No one approached him. His face fell, and he walked away.

“Joon Young!” I called out as I followed him. He turned around.

“What?” He asked when I kept looking at him. I couldn’t help it, I burst out laughing.

“Aigoo,” I reached out to wipe off the concealer, “you were supposed to w-” He grabbed my wrists and wrapped my arms around his waist, drawing me into his chest.

“Just for a moment...” He said. We were silent.

“You did well.” I whispered, and I didn’t know how long we stayed like that. Honestly...I didn’t mind.

“Ahem,” We let go of each other. “Jung Joon Young? I’m from CJ E&M.”

It was the same man as before, holding out his business card, holding out the opportunity that Joon Young had been longing for.


Happy New Year lovely readers <3

Song is 'Understanding Man and Woman' by COOL which Jung Joon Young covered on Immortal Songs 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeZiAriXbo