Chapter 2

Through the Camera

The thumping against my chest...was it my heart? Of course it wasn’t. Please, it was only a few hours ago since I first met him. Love at first sight doesn’t exist, and nor does love at second sight. But that night, his voice dwelled in my head, and I didn’t mind...not too much.

Email: 2 unread

1.

"Hello Eunji,

Thank you for volunteering as a photographer for our musicians. To show you our appreciation, we are offering you an admission ticket to the highly anticipated 2013 Spring Music Festival, free of charge! However, spaces fill up quickly so please register your ticket as soon as possible.

Here’s some information regarding the event:

The 2013 Spring Music Festival is a once-in-a-year opportunity for our aspiring artists to be recognised by the community. Talent agencies such as Starship Entertainment and CJ E&M Music and Live will be present so this will be one very special day, and it’s only less than two weeks away! We hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

The Music Department"

2.

"To: Jung Eunji

This is a library notice to remind you that some items you have checked out are due in return for tomorrow:

Title: General Anatomy

Barcode: 9 000000 425569  

Lost fine: $290.95

From: The Medical Library"

Then I remembered, I had left the textbook at the cafe where I met Joon Young after his performance. “Aissi, eotteokaji? $291?! No no no, this can’t be!” It’s ok, it’s ok, I tried to calm myself down. You see, $291 is a big deal, it’s worth the weekly rent! I’ll look for it tomorrow.

“Excuse me, was there a textbook left behind here last night?” I asked one of the cafe’s  staff.

“No, sorry.” My heart sank, and the rest of the day I spent sulking. It wasn’t exactly the mood I wanted to be in for tonight’s private tutoring session with a new student, and as I searched for the student’s house, I counted, “1000, 999, 998...” Yes, weird, but surprisingly counting backwards has a calming effect on me. The house was a modest double story with a small front lawn which was taken up by a motorcycle. Urgh, I hated those. I always had the impression that people who rode them were arrogant, those who liked to speed on the roads and squeeze through traffic, having no concerns of scratching other people’s cars. And, they were loud, as though every time their engine started, it had to be announced.

“Jung Eunji noona?”

“Oh yes annyeong, umm...are you Gun Tae? I’m here to tutor maths.”

“Yeah, come in. Sorry, it’s a bit messy in here.” I followed his tall figure to the dining table, hidden underneath loose leaf paper, some stained with coloured soft drink, and books with their corners torn and pages creased. Mandarin peels peeked through the mess, and chip packets and chocolate foil sat on top. He gave me an innocent smile then promptly cleared some space. He was a fast learner and it wasn’t difficult to teach him. As I set him some questions to do, I noticed a ‘General Anatomy’ textbook beneath a grey felt coat.

“Oh, who does this book belong to?” I asked him.

“Uhh...I think it’s hyung’s. I don’t know...he’s never even taken science.” I slowly nodded as I looked at the barcode, ‘9 000000...’ It couldn’t possibly be the one I borrowed, I stared at it intently. “Uhh...do you need it? Ask hyung, he’s upstairs in the room to the right.”

“Oh ok.” So, what are the chances of it being mine? But I was clearly desperate and the sight of any ‘General Anatomy’ textbook excited me. I went upstairs, “the room to the right, room to the right...” I repeated to myself. I gently pushed the door open. Darkness.

“Hello? Anyone in here?” He could’ve been sleeping, but I didn’t care because like I said, I was desperate. There was no reply. Any normal person would've turned back at this point, but I stepped into the room, the textbook wrapped tightly in my arms. Something sharp pierced the sole of my foot and I fell onto what I assumed to be the bed. “Aissi”, I hissed. The lights flicked on.

“Eunji?” I shot straight up, feeling lightheaded immediately after. I winced as the wound on my foot came into contact with the carpet.

“Joon Young.” I said, flustered. “Uhh...annyeong!”

“You’re hurt.” A look of concern and annoyance crossed his face. He grabbed my elbows, curling his slender fingers firmly around them and seated me down onto his bed. Water dripped from his hair onto my leg as he lifted it up onto the bare skin of his laps. A white towel rested around the back of his neck and he only had boxer shorts on. I gulped and looked elsewhere, focusing on the white wallpaper in his room. One end of his lips slightly broadened. “And you’re going really red.”

“Huh? Oh...it’s ho- warm in here.”

“Really?” He chuckled as he bandaged the wound. “Well, it’s about to get warmer.” He slipped his arm beneath my knees and placed his other arm across my back.   

“W-what do you t-think you’re doing?” I didn’t wait for him to answer. “YAAA!” I shut my eyes and whacked his face with the hard cover textbook I’ve been holding onto all along.

“What was that for?!” He gaped at me in disbelief, his hand cupped his left cheek where I’d hit him.

“I am so sorry! I thought, I thought- Does it hurt?”

“Yes.” He snapped. I awkwardly lifted my fingers to his cheek, but he grabbed them and sighed. “I was only trying to help you get downstairs”

“Sorry, I was surprised. Umm...I can walk.”

“And if you get hurt again?" I didn't respond. Well, I didn't know how to. "Ok, let's try again." Before I could refuse, he reattempted to lift me and I wasn’t sure if his skinny build could take the weight. His leg slipped backwards and we collapsed onto the floor.

Getting hurt twice...in just one day, and with the same person. “Aigoo, why's it so painful meeting you?” I thought out loud.

He scoffed, “I know right!” He clutched the side of his waist in pain, and then started to laugh. And so did I. First, it was a giggle, and then I saw his smiling eyes. I didn't really know what was so funny, but my spirits lifted, and I laughed along with him.

His name was Jung Joon Young, and I had only met him yesterday. But, he was no longer a stranger...at least it didn’t feel like it.


'aigoo' - 아이구, 'aissi' - 아이씨, 'annyeong' - 안녕, 'eotteokaji' - 어떡하지