Chapter 4

Through the Camera

“No eomma, I’m not going back.”

My eyelids felt heavy as I opened my eyes. Where am I? As the white surrounding became less hazy and my vision cleared, I could see Joon Young on his phone, his back facing towards me.  

“No, don’t say that you understand, because you don’t!” There was a sigh in response.

“So are you coming back or going to live on your own?” A muffled voice sounded over the phone, followed by silence.

“I am staying in Korea to pursue music.” Joon Young finally said, his voice firm and resolute. His mother hung up. Joon Young’s arm drooped down, his knuckles turned pale as he tightened the grip on his phone. His frustration...it felt familiar to me, but there was also this sense of fear and thrill that was unfamiliar and strangely refreshing. I quickly shut my eyes closed when he turned around, pretending to still be asleep.

“Excuse me, the patient is ready to be discharged as soon as she regains consciousness.” A woman’s voice informed. Then I remembered how I fell into the river, plunging into the coldness, thinking I was going to breathe my very last. Wait, “my camera!” I jolted upwards, desperately looking for it.

“Here,” Joon Young handed me the camera. “Don’t worry, it works.” I turned it on to confirm that it does, then gave it a little hug. Weird. I know, but my camera means a lot to me, and not to mention how expensive it was.

“Thank you!” I said, still hugging the camera.  

“No problem. Come on, let’s get you out of here. I’ll give you a ride home.” He smiled, but his eyes were expressionless and lonely. I wanted to comfort him, to reach out and pat him on the back, but I didn’t. I couldn’t. If only he could read my mind: Joon Young, it’ll be alright.

I followed him out of the hospital, the skies already dark.

“Here, helmet.” He put a black helmet onto my head and tightened the straps, his cold fingertips briefly brushing against my cheeks.

“M-motorcycle?” Oh no. He swung his right leg over the motorcycle’s black leather seating, the side stand up with the heel of his left foot and then rested his foot on the ground. I reluctantly got on behind him. With a single twist of the clutch, the engine started, loudly. “Aigoo.”

He took both my wrists and pulled my arms around his waist. “Hold on tight.” I nodded and tightly interlocked my hands. I know I should be more reserved, but this was a safety issue and I did not want to fly off the seat. Shouldn’t seatbelts be installed on this thing?! He twisted the clutch again and I braced myself for the take off.

The wind rushed past us, blowing my hair behind. Street lights blurred and the sound of the engine drowned out every noise around us, every voice inside us. This surreal feeling; was it freedom? I closed my eyes, wanting to hold on to this dreamlike moment...wanting to hold on to him?


Sorry it took so long to update! THANKS for reading and THANKS SUBSCRIBERS!!! Means a lot to me :D

This took 2 DAYS (!!!) to draw and thought I'd share it with you all kekeke <3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1430173707198075&set=a.1422889431259836.1073741844.1413784155503697&type=1&theater