The Hopeless Romantic

Once Upon A Song

Author’s note: This story is written in third person point of view. Remember! You need to play the music before you can start reading! And once it started playing, feel it, and let it get into you ;)

 

 

PS. You can replay the song if you want because I don’t think you can read this story for 3 to 4 minutes because I didn’t expect this story to be long. I apologized for the mispelled words and wrong grammar. Well anyway, here it is! Enjoy reading!

 

 

Song: click here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rays of sunshine coming from the window illuminated the room. He lay silently on his bed, staring at the ceiling and watching the dust motes float in the air. Something about the afternoon made him so lazy, so he reached for his wallet under his pillow and took out her picture.

 

 

“Hi,” he said to the picture.

 

 

Her hair falls perfectly on her soft-framed face.

 

 

And her smile…

 

 

 

 

 

 

The smile that will always send jolts to his heart.

 

 

 

“Did you know that I exist because of you?” the girl at the picture just continued to smile at him.

 

 

 

“You became my brightest star in my darkest night,” he chuckled.

 

 

 

“Did I just say those things?” he smiled to himself again, realizing he was being cheesy without him knowing.

 

 

 

He caressed the surface of the photo, imagining how it would feel touching her face. The thought made him smile again, so he reached for his cell phone from the bedside table and dialed her number.

 

 

 

“Yeoboseyeo,” the voice on the other line said. His heart skipped a beat as soon as he heard her voice.

 

 

 

“What’s up Jinri?” he replied.

 

 

 

“Oh! It’s you Minho oppa!” she squeaked excitedly. It made him smile like an idiot. “So…what’s with the phone call? Is there something wrong?” she asked.

 

 

 

“Nothing really,” he said. I just wanna hear your voice, he thought. “I do believe that God above, created you for me to love,” he said out of nowhere.

 

 

 

“Me? Created for you to love?” Jinri said, bewildered.

 

 

 

Then Minho realized what he had just said. “A-aniya! A-I found a piece of paper inserted on my brother’s notebook! Ack-ahh yes! That’s right! Then…I accidentally read it aloud! I think he made it for his girlfriend,” he stuttered defensively.

 

 

 

“Oh...I thought it was something else,” she said.

 

 

 

“Huh? Forget about what I just said!” he chuckled nervously. You’re so stupid Minho!, he thought. “Umm…are you doing something at this moment?” he quickly changed the subject, hoping to get rid of the lies he made a while ago.

 

 

 

“Uh…oh right! I’m in the middle of downloading some love songs for my IPod oppa!” she said enthusiastically. “Can you suggest some songs oppa? Do you have anything in mind?” she asked.

 

 

 

Of course Jinri. I have you in my mind. You never left ever since, he thought. “Hmm…when you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love meeee,” he sang. I love you Jinri. Please tell me you love me too, he thought.

 

 

 

“Oh! Jonas Brothers! Good choice oppa!” she said. Minho can hear the tapping of the keyboard from the other line.

 

 

 

“I wanna make you smile…whenever you’re sad,” he hummed unconsciously.

 

 

 

“Wow, that’s beautiful. What’s that song oppa?” Jinri asked.

 

 

 

“Uh-right!” he let out a nervous laugh. He forgot that Jinri’s still in the other line. “All I wanna do…is grow old with you,” he sang. I really do. I want to spend my whole life loving you, he thought. “Grow old with you! Adam Sandler!” he said.

 

 

 

“Okay!” that was all she replied. Minho waited, then after a couple of seconds, he heard her say “Oh! That’s great!”

 

 

 

“Are you saying something Jinri? What’s great?” he asked.

 

 

 

“Oh! Bianne oppa! I got so carried away with the song,” she laughed in a melodious tune. His heart did some jumping jacks inside his chest.

 

 

 

“I see,” he said. “What’s the song anyway?”

 

 

 

“1 2 3 4! By Plain White T’s!” she said.

 

 

 

“Oh. What a great way to entitle the song huh?” he said sarcastically.

 

 

 

“Oppa!” she sounded like she’s scolding Minho. He suddenly felt guilty. “Wait until you here the song!” she said.

 

 

 

“Well then, sing for me!” he challenged her then he heard her clearing .

 

 

 

 

“There’s only one thing

 

 

Two do,

 

 

Three words,

 

 

Four youuuu!

 

 

I love you!” she sang sweetly.

 

 

 

 

Are you finally telling me you love me too? Of course not. How could you love someone like me? I’m not even your type, he thought sadly.

 

 

 

 

“There’s only one way

 

 

Two say

 

 

Those three words

 

 

And that’s what I’ll do!

 

 

 

I love you!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love you oppa!” Jinri said.

 

 

 

 

 

Minho’s eyes widen as the words started to sink in his mind. Did I hear that right? Jinri told me she loves me?

 

 

 

“What did you say?” he asked.

 

 

 

“Uhhh…umm… Bye oppa!” then she hung up.

 

 

 

 

I love you oppa…

 

 

I love you oppa…

 

 

I love you oppa…

 

 

 

 

The words continued to rang in his ears. He ran down the stairs and decided to come over Jinri’s house, which was five houses away from Minho’s, and confirm and assure to himself that he heard the right words. As soon as he stepped outside, rain started to pour heavily from above.

 

 

 

“Seriously?!” he shouted angrily to the sky. With no time to waste, he broke into a run, and run, and run until he reached the porch of her house. Still catching his breath, he knocked onto the door.

 

 

 

Up in her room, Jinri still can’t believe she said those words to Minho. One moment she was singing a certain song she found on Youtube and then the next thing she knew, she blurted the words “I love you oppa!” out of the blue! She quickly hung up the phone because her mind went completely blank and she cannot think of any excuses or alibis to cover up what she had just said. She said them loud and clear, but she cannot just confess that she’s been secretly in love with him since the day her family moved into his neighborhood! Never! She’s been always scared that Minho won’t accept it and reject her feelings. Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden knock on the door downstairs.

 

 

 

“Oh, must be omma and appa. Why so early?” she said to herself.

 

 

 

She hopped playfully out of her room, taking two flights of stairs at a time, forgetting all the worries she had a few seconds ago.

 

 

 

She reached the door, turned the knob, and was surprised to see Minho in front of her. Uh oh, she thought. He looked like a supermodel with his hair dripping with water, plain white t-shirt soaked in the rain which revealed his broad chest and muscular abs (Jinri gulped at the sight) and his khaki pants were partially wet on the lower part and gosh, he came here barefooted!

 

 

 

“Jinri…” he said

 

 

 

“Oppa…” suddenly, all the thoughts she had a while ago snapped back into her mind. Omooo, what should I do?!, she thought.

 

 

 

They locked gazes for a moment. Minho can see her eyes were troubled. His features soften as he let out a sigh.

 

 

 

“The uhhh…umm…the last four words you told me before you hang up…are they part of the song?” he said. He realized there was a flaw on what he had said because Jinri can just deny everything and it was such a dumb question to ask because he knows at the back of his mind that Jinri said those words loud and clear!

 

 

 

But instead, Jinri just continued to stare at him. She was frozen in place, unable to speak and move her body. Part of her wanted to tell the truth, but the fear of getting rejected was overpowering.

 

 

 

Thunder rolled behind the clouds, the temperature got colder and it made Minho shiver. He sighed heavily this time, with his shoulder slumped forward, and he flashed a faint smile to Jinri. “I must be imagining and over-thinking things. You should go inside. It’s getting colder out here,” Minho said as he ruffled her bangs during the last sentence.

 

 

 

Jinri made no move to respond, but pain stabbed her heart as Minho turned his back to her, took a step away from her, and leave the premises of her house. Minho, on the other hand, dragged his feet unwillingly away from Jinri. You’ve done another stupid thing today, Minho. You are clearly hallucinating. Jinri won’t say such thing like that. She doesn’t like you, he thought.

 

 

 

 

Don’t be such a coward!

 

 

You’re being too hard on your feelings.

 

 

This is the perfect time to tell him!

 

 

Oh c’mon, are you that stupid?

 

 

It’s now or never, girl. Go! Tell him!

 

 

 

 

Voices in her mind continued to stir her thoughts. She saw Minho a few feet away from her house, getting soaked in the rain again. Then her senses finally kicked in.

 

 

 

“Oppa!”

 

 

 

Minho turned his head to the direction of her voice abruptly. From an immobilized statue a while ago, Jinri ran towards Minho, not minding the rain.

 

 

 

“Oppa,” she said.

 

 

 

As soon as she reached his place, he held her shoulders and said, “What are you doing here, Jinri? You need to go back in there. Rain is not good for a sweet girl like you. You might catch some cold if you stay here longer.”

 

 

 

“No oppa!” she said stubbornly.

 

 

 

“Oppa is just worried about your health. You-“

 

 

 

“Look oppa. I have something to tell you,” she said. They met eyes for a moment, and then Jinri took a deep breath.

 

 

 

“They’re not part of the song. The last four words…they came from me oppa. I don’t know but I think my heart spoke for itself, telling you how I really feel for you. Oppa-“ she was about to tell how it all started but she got interrupted by a sudden hug from Minho.

 

 

 

I knew it, Minho thought. His smile reached his ears and sang, “Now I’m speechless, over the edge and just breathless…I’d never thought that I’d catch this…love bug again.”

 

 

 

Jinri broke the hug and looked at Minho with a bewildered face. Minho just chuckled, and decided to sing another song. “When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me…”

 

 

 

Jinri got the meaning. Minho used phrases from love songs to express his feelings. She flashed a bright smile and decided to play along with him. “Baby it’s you! You’re the one I love! You’re the one I need!” she sang.

 

 

 

Minho couldn’t help but smile at her. “Love on top, eh?” he said.

 

 

 

Jinri laughed. I would never get tired of hearing such melodious laughter like that, Minho thought. Jinri held Minho’s hands and stared at his brown irises. “I love you Choi Minho,” she said sincerely.

 

 

 

His eyes soften as soon as he heard the words coming out of her lips. He removed his hands from Jinri’s and placed them under her jaw. He let his thumb caressed her jaw line. That’s how it feels touching her face Minho, he thought.

 

 

 

“I love you more Choi Jinri,” he said while looking straight into her eyes. He inched his face forward, parted his lips, and gave Jinri a passionate kiss under the rain.

 

 

 

 

Minho The Hopeless Romantic. Hahaha! Did you like it? Comments are highly appreciated! Thank you for reading this story! Hope you had a good time! Saranghae chingus!

 

-lesleychoi