Runaway Shadow

Runaway Shadow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
       

Featuring Son Naeun x Im Jaebum; Special Guest Heo Youngji, Wang Jackson, Shin D. Peniel

 

When the clock strikes at 00.00 later, she knows she will be the different one who doesn’t enjoy the sound of trumpet and the sparks of fireworks people make for New Year celebration. She maybe already on bed, in her quiet room—choose to sleep early when others still in the mid of euphoria.

Son Naeun clearly hates New Year.

“I’ll accompany you.” Heo Youngji, the best friend of hers, kindly offers for companion.

Naeun stares at the cheerful girl with two-ponytails in front of her, feeling grateful for her best friend’s consideration, but Youngji has her own life.

“Don’t be silly, Youngji-ah. Jackson obviously won’t be happy about that.”

“Oh, let him be.” Youngji snickers, and Naeun knows watching the two bickering on and off is not quite festive for celebrating new year, if she decides to join the tradition in that case.

“Jack?” Youngji accepts the call from her boyfriend when they are in the elevator, ready to go home and get some break from the boredom of office’s ritual. “I don’t think I can be there tonight.”

She must be canceling her plan. Naeun rolls her eyes at her friend’s silliness. Seriously, who wants to celebrate New Year accompanying a broken friend doing nothing and ditch a promising night with her beloved? Swiftly, Naeun grabs Youngji’s phone and ignores the owner’s glare.

“Don’t take her words seriously, Jackson-ah. Your girlfriend will be there—whatever the place is, I promise.”

“Who is this? Son Naeun?! Yah! Don’t monopolize my girl, will you?”

Naeun rolls her eyes again hearing Jackson barks at the other line. “Don’t worry. She’s all yours tonight, you possessive freak.”

And with that, she hangs up.

“Yah, will you be okay?” Instead of worrying her boyfriend who might be mad because Naeun cut the line, Youngji looks more worried at her best friend.

“Why shouldn’t I? Stop concerning me, Heo Youngji. I’ll be okay.” Naeun lets out an assuring smile as giving Youngji her phone back.

“I know, I know.” Youngji sigh. “It’s just, tonight already a year.” She murmurs.

Naeun says nothing as the door’s opened and they walked out together.

Yeah, it’s been a year.

*

As soon as she reaches her apartment, Naeun drops her body on the bed. She doesn’t bother to change her stiff blazer nor sleek skirt as slowly closing her eyes. She feels bitter.

A year ago, she should have been married if she didn’t do something foolish. Then—maybe—she would be happy and didn’t have to feel suffocating air surrounding her whenever she saw them; Kim Myungsoo, Park Sooyoung, and their baby Kim Nana.

Naeun really hates herself for being vulnerable and broken when she was the one who made a scene a year ago; running away from her own wedding.

“I only love you. Always.”

“Why bother loving me when you clearly caring for someone else?”

“Naeun-ah, don’t be like this. It’s you that I truly love, truly care.”

“Really? Can you promise not to look after Sooyoung anymore?”

“That… I can’t promise, but I swear—“

“She is your ex, oppa!”

“Yes, she is. But we left everything in a good note, and that doesn’t mean I should just ignore her whole being.”

It was chaos. It was hard. She was hurt, and hurt him. Everything suddenly didn’t seem beautiful anymore.

Being in love became a heavy burden for Naeun then, but who could blame her? Not when Kim Myungsoo rarely stayed by herself anymore so that she had to go gown-fitting with Youngji only instead of the soon-groom-to-be. Not when their wedding was near but Kim Myungsoo had no clue about its preparation even the slightest bit. Not when Kim Myunsoo as her soon-to-be-husband took care more of his past lover rather than his fiancée. Sure, Park Sooyoung had a very hard day and almost committed suicide back then, but Naeun felt it’s unfair he wore the same gloom face every day like their wedding was nothing.

She thought she was clever for humiliating him in public at their wedding day; running away right before the vows spoken as her revenge, only to discover the one who never stopped crying was indeed her own self. She regretted her stupid decision to crush Myungsoo’s happiness because she didn’t realize she crushed her own too.

And she still regrets it, until now.

Naeun opens her eyes refusing to recall her past memories that keep haunting her, whatever she does. Her eyes feel the sting but not a single tear rolls down onto her cheek.

Of course. I have been spending the whole year crying my heart out, why should I cry again this time?

Naeun chuckles bitterly as waking up from her laying position. She drags her body to pick her phone inside her purse as it rings already for quiet while.

“Naeunnie! I know you don’t want to be disturbed, but can you join us here? Peniel keeps nagging me to bring you at his café to help promoting Cubies but I know it’s just his excuse for meeting you.”

Youngji’s loud yell is accompanied by some noisy back sound, and Naeun can hear Peniel—Jackson’s friend who has been asking her out for past three months—scolds Youngji as saying ‘that’s not true!’

Chuckling as she can imagine how the two behave, Naeun heaves a heavy sigh.

“I,”

“Come on girl! I can’t handle all the boys alone by myself!” Youngji pleads—and Naeun understands why.

Go entertain yourself, Son Naeun. It’s been a year, get over it already.

“At Cubies? What time?”

Youngji’s loud scream of happiness deafens Naeun’s hearing and anybody hear it must assume that girl won lottery or something. The best friend of hers is excitedly yelling the time and finally she can feel a light smile forms on her face and warms her heart again.

 

{type a message}

Happy New Year, oppa.

{save to draft}

*

It is a bit crowded and Naeun finds herself waving back at Youngji who has been waiting for her at their table. Youngji smiles so lovely and ignores the pout her boyfriend’s wearing. Peniel looks busy but still manages to give his wink and amuses Naeun.

“Aww, you are so stunning, Naeun-ah!” Youngji hugs her and compliments her appearance tonight. Actually she just wears a simple party gown but yeah, Naeun admits that she put more effort to look different. She didn’t have time to make her hair, instead she focused on her eyes.

Son Naeun does look different—and stunning—with shade of light green under her eyes makes the girls envy and the guys admire her tonight.

This is the new Son Naeun. And the new Son Naeun is a mature girl who reborn after a year full of despair, who won’t cry her heart out again because of that one name; Kim Myungsoo.

“Naeunnie, thank you for being the most beautiful guest I have in this night. I’m so honored.” Peniel grins widely, eyes spark in delight and arms stretch out to hug her but Youngji slaps them away.

“Yah! Your café is already full of people, go to work now!”

“I swear, Heo Youngji, if it’s not the fact you’re Jackson’s girl, I—“

“What? What are you gonna do?”

Peniel curses under his breath, but then he looks up and a sweet smile already plasters on his face.

“I’m gonna seduce you of course. Bet you being my girl wouldn’t want to put me to the nerve every time we met.”

“Yah!”

“Hey!”

Naeun laughs. Her carefree laughter for the first time, and it’s not like she doesn’t notice Youngji’s small smile seeing her, looking so proud.

But Naeun doesn’t gonna lie or hide it, because yeah, she is happy.

“Okay, for the honor of our beautiful Naeun’s appearance, I proudly inform you guys, The Galaxies is on tonight!”

It’s Youngji’s scream as the first response to Peniel’s big information.

“Oh my God! The Galaxies?! Naeun-ah, you do love their songs! I can’t believe it! Really, Peniel?! You are bringing Kris and JB to Cubies?! Awesome!”

“Heo Youngji.” Jackson reminds her girl, clearly doesn’t appreciate Youngji’s moment as a true fan of those two gorgeous men. But Youngji being Youngji, not even once she listens to that Wang.

“I know right? You finally admitting I’m awesome.” Peniel boasts off. His high-level confidence makes Naeun smiles and Youngji snickers.

“What? Of course The Galaxies are awesome for sacrificing their selves to come into this horrible place.” She mocks.

“I’m not a fan of them but I gotta agree with her at that point.” Jackson grins.

Peniel grunts before turns his head facing Naeun. “What do I expect from those idiots? You are my only hope now, Pretty Lady.” And not-so-cool-wink as final decorates his plea.

Naeun chuckles. Being kind to a friend won’t hurt, right?

“You are awesome, Peniel.”

*

They meet a few minutes before the party starts. Kris—as the appearance seems, he introduces himself as Wu Yifan and doesn’t talk much after that. Apparently JB is a charismatic, strong vocal on the stage while Im Jaebum is a warm-hearted, playful guy. He smiles a lot too. Although Naeun catches a tired look flashes on his eyes for one or two seconds, before he’s back to his friendly grin.

“So, you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter