Goeun Cabins II

No Girls Allowed

"TIME FOR DINNEERRR!"

Chanyeol was the first to jump up to their dinner call. "Guys! Dinner!" Once the message was spread across the snowy field of children, everyone had left their snowmen to run back towards the cabins.

Unfortunately, Hyunsoo's mom had assigned him the task of bringing all of them in.

"Hey, hey, hey, don't bring the snow inside. Shake your shoes off before coming in." He had to repeat that quite a bit.

Yoonmi came from downstairs to join the children for dinner. Although she had almost forgotten all about the 'meanness' she had labelled Baekhyun and his friends with through being so concentrated in helping Hyunsoo make dinner, Yoonmi still knew enough to stay half-mad at them for being unfair.

So when Baekhyun ran straight up to her with an excited expression on his face, Yoonmi chose to frown at him enough.

"What?" She asked.

"I have a surprise for you."

"What surprise?"

He leaned in with a smile, as if he was about to tell her a super duper important secret.

"I've got something to show you."

 

And that was enough to spark her interest.

"What is it?"

"An amazing thing. I'll show you when we get there."

"Is it far away?" She widened her eyes "Like treasure?"

"It's better than treasure. It's something I made."

The girl gasped. By now, she had forgotten all about being mad at Baekhyun. "Really?"

"Mhmm. Now come quick. We gotta see it before they eat dinner without us."

"Huh? Right now? But it's dinner--"

"Don't worry. It won't even take that long."

"But I'm hungry..."

"It'll be worth it! I promise."

She looked back inside the cabin. Her mom was still calling the rest of the kids in, telling them to sit down and stop messing around.

"Alright, fine, but it better be quick--OW."

Baekhyun grabbed her hand and dragged her out the door, obviously overflowing with excitement.

"Come on, quickly!"

"Ow ow ow, alright, just let go of my--" She gasped when the ice cold wind slapped her face. "WOAH. IT'S COLD."

"Oops. Sorry. I forgot," He tossed her her jacket. "Here. Zip it all the way up."

Yoonmi mumbled a small thanks and did exactly as she was told, her cheeks already starting to get red from the cold.

"Are we there yet?" She asked after a while of walking through the snow.

"No. Almost. Just be patient."

"It's getting real cold--"

She was cut off my a strong breeze that once again slapped her bare face. A surprised yelp slipped out of . She never knew wind could actually be loud.

It didn't take another strong breeze for Yoonmi to pull a stop to a confused Baekhyun. She shivered. "I think the wind is telling us to go back."

He rolled his eyes almost immediately. "The wind doesn't talk, you babo."

"Well maybe it can, cause I'm getting a bad feeling."

"What do you mean? We're here. See?" He pointed up ahead. "Right there."

Yoonmi looked up to see a lone snowman... or, atleast, what seemed like an attempt to build a snowman.

It was way too small, short even. There was a small carrot in the middle of its face, and three rocks lining up its body to represent buttons. Its mouth was slightly crooked, but was visibly shaped into a large, happy smile. Two large rocks were what its eyes were, and long, thin pieces of grass were sticking out of the tops of the eyes.

"Eyelashes?" Yoonmi guessed.

"Yup." Baekhyun seemd to be really intent on looking at her, as if waiting for her to do something.

A few seconds of silence passed.

"Is this supposed to be me?" Yoonmi broke the silence.

"Finally. I was waiting for you to say that! Can't you tell?"

He pointed to the large rocks as its eyes.

"These are your humongo eyes."

"Mine aren't that big."

"Yeah they are. And look," He pointed to the mouth. "This is the Yoonmi smile. I was gonna make the Yoonmi pout, but Suho hyung told me not to since it was Christmas and Christmas was supposed to be happy."

She gave him a look. "He was right to tell you that!"

"Yeah, yeah, I know," He said with a smile. "But ya know, I made it all by myself."

Yoonmi looked up. "Really? Without Yoona unni's help?"

"... Yoona noona? No, why?"

"Oh... It's nothing." Yoonmi tried to hide her smile. So she hadn't been allowed to make snowmen with the boys either. Yoonmi wasn't the only girl not allowed.

She stretched out her arms, feeling a bit better. "Thanks, Oppa. I like it."

Baekhyun's eyes lit up. "Really? You do?"

"Mhmm."

"It's like a masterpiece, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess."

He grinned triumphantly. He had become an artist, according to his ten-year-old mind.

"Alright, then. Let's go back. I'm hungry."

"Me too."

Baekhyun took her hand again and started leading the way back, only to suddenly get stopped by Yoonmi.

He looked back. "What's wrong?"

There was a pale look on Yoonmi's face. Her hand was on her neck.

".... My necklace."

".... Your necklace? You wore a necklace today?"

"Yeah. It's the golden one! The one Auntie gave for my birthday!"

He frowned. "Did you lose it here?"

"I think I dropped it.... I'm sure I had it with me on the way here!"

"It probably fell somewhere in the snow, then."

Yoonmi looked up at him with wide eyes. "We gotta look for it!"

"Now? But we're already late for dinner--"

"It's gonna get even deeper into the snow by the time we get back after dinner. And what if someone picks it up and steals it?!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "No one will do that. And it's fine, Yoonmi. We can look for it all we want tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?! But it'll snow even more by then! I won't be able to find it!"

He sighed. "Yoonmi, you and I are both really tired and hungry right now--"

"I'm not!" She pulled away from his grasp. "It's my favorite necklace."

"Mom can always buy another one for you!"

"She doesn't have to! I want it right now... It's my favorite necklace!" She repeated.

Baekhyun sighed again, taking a few moments to think.

"Fine then. We'll look for it--"

"Yay--"

"--But only if you promise to stick by me! You might get lost."

"I promise!"

And so the two started running around in the snow, their stomachs empty and their eyes sharp for a small, golden necklace.

"Can you see anything?"

"No..."

They continued to look for Yoonmi's necklace for a long time. It wasn't until ten minutes later when Yoonmi finally caught sight of a shiny object in the snow looking vaguely familiar.

She gasped. "Found it!"

"Really? Where--" He widened his eyes when he saw the girl leave his side. "Lee Yoonmi! Wait! Get back here!"

"Over here! I found my--AHHH!" She screamed when her foot stepped on loose snow that sent her tumbling down the edge, much to Baekhyun's horror.

He quickly sprinted over to the hole where the loose snow had once been, only to sigh in relief when he saw the girl sitting safely on the snow five feet under. Thank God it hadn't been one of those movies where someone fell off a mile long cliff.

"Ow..." Yoonmi whined. It was five feet after all.

"Oh, sorry." He jumped down the snowy ledge and landed right next to the girl. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Not really.... But I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a purple bruise on my knee tomorrow."

"Where? Here?"

Yoonmi nodded. Her ponytail was officially nonexistant by now. The hair tie had slipped out during the fall.

"You cut your finger again."

"It's fine. I'll ask for a bandage when we get back.... But Oppa, look!" She happily held up her golden necklace. "I found it!"

He sighed, rolling his eyes. "Stupid. I told you, Mom could've bought you another one--"

"But she doesn't have to anymore. Cause I found it all by myself!" She smiled, imagining what the other kids would say when she told them her great feat.

Baekhyun got up. "Well, that's great and all. But we can't get back now." He pointed to the ledge. "We can't climb it."

"Yes we can. It's not that slippery." She jumped up and grabbed a part of the rocky wall, only to yelp back from how cold it was.

"Exactly." Baekhyun said. "And besides, I'm way too tired to do anything right now. Let's just rest here for a while until someone comes for us."

"... You think someone will?"

"Of course! We're the most important kids out of all of them. They'll know we're missing right away."

Yoonmi smiled. "You're right. I'm the only Yoonmi there."

"And I'm the only Byun Baekhyun. Of course they'll look for me first."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't you know? Ladies first. They'll obviously worry about me first."

"You're not a lady. You're just a girl."

"Same thing. Girls are first and guys are second."

"What are you saying? That's obviously wrong."

"It's right! Girls get to wear skirts and pants while guys can only wear pants."

Baekhyun opened his mouth to retort something back. But then, he realized that there really wasn't anything to say to that.

"... Yeah. I guess you're right."

"Told you so."

It was quiet again, the icy winter wind getting stronger every second. The sky was starting to get dark, and all the white, fluffy snow Yoonmi had loved was now reflecting a grayish light because of the night. It reminded her of Beauty and the Beast, when Belle got attacked by wolves. The thought of being trapped here brought a sickly feeling to her stomach.

Yoonmi shivered. "Oppa... I'm scared." She softly whispered.

"It's alright. We'll be fine." Baekhyun replied back in a comforting voice, figuring that it was his job to be the older, mature one here. And besides, there really would be no point if a five year-old and a nine year-old started crying their eyes out in the middle of the snow. The thought almost made Baekhyun laugh.

He made himself comfortable in the snow, taking out a piece of candy from his pocket and offering it to Yoonmi.

"Sit down next to me."

The younger girl nodded and obeyed, still looking a bit scared. Yet she didn't forget to take the candy as she sat down next to her oppa.

The sun was slowly disappearing. Light snow fell from the sky as the night lamp posts started to turn on one by one, much to Yoonmi's relief. She felt a bit better with sources of light and Baekhyun's known presence right next to her. The idea of being trapped in the snow wasn't as scary anymore, as long as she wasn't alone.

Baekhyun scooted an inch closer to her, feeling cold.

"Let's pass the time by talking." He suggested casually.

"Talking? About what?"

"I don't know... School? Auntie's cookies? Chanyeol? Luhan hyung?" He stated random things he had on his mind.

Yoonmi leaned her head on Baekhyun's shoulder in thought, feeling a bit sleepy.

"Let's start with school, then." She said.

"School?" Baekhyun paused to think. "School's... interesting, I guess."

"Mmhm." Yoonmi nodded in agreement. "I don't like my class, but I guess Sulli makes up for it."

"Why? Who's in your class?"

"Well, there's Minah--"

"I see."

"Mhmm."

They were both silent for a second, probably thinking about how hard it was to understand the said girl.

"Next topic." Baekhyun suddenly broke the silence. "Auntie's cookies."

Yoonmi sighed dreamily, slowly closing her eyes to the delightful image of her mom's amazing cookies in her imagination.

"Now that's a good topic." She said with a smile.

"I really really really want her double chocolate chip cookies right now." Baekhyun sighed.

"And her sugar cookies too."

"And her snickerdoodles."

"And don't forget her blueberry muffins--"

Baekhyun suddenly groaned.

"You know what, let's stop talking about this. It's paining me."

And so the two became silent again to think about what the next topic was.

 

"Let's skip the next topic." Baekhyun said almost immediately.

"Yeah. No one wants to talk about Chanyeol oppa."

"Hey! That was mean, Yoonmi. Be a good girl and say sorry."

"But--"

"Say sorry."

Yoonmi sighed and half rolled her eyes. She honestly never had understood why she had to say sorry to people who weren't even there.

"Sorry, Chanyeol oppa." The girl apologeticly grumbled to the empty air anyways.

Baekhyun smiled through his scarf as he watched her apologize to the air, amusement twinkling in his eyes. These were the moments when he enjoyed being the older oppa to boss the younger girl around.

 

"Next is Luhan hyung." He said after a few moments.

"Luhan oppa?.... Well...." She tapped her chin. "He's in middle school, but looks like a baby."

"True.... true..." Baekhyun tilted his head in thought. "But it's not really a bad thing, right?"

"I guess not." Yoonmi blinked a few times. "But, of course it's always better to look older."

Baekhyun turned to look at Yoonmi in surprise.

"Why?"

"Because. Older means prettier and mature. Plus, more people look up to you if you're older."

Yoonmi stared at the snow-covered ground in thought.

"I want to become like the taller, pretty unnies at home who walk around in pretty shoes and jewelry. Maybe like Yoona and Jessica unni."

"... Why?" He asked again.

"They're older."

Baekhyun frowned. He obviously didn't understand this theory the younger girl was stating.

"So?"

"Well, they're prettier."

 

It was quiet for a moment, for the two kids were each in their own different thoughts. Yoonmi began making circular holes in the snow with her fingers, counting them for her own amusement.

She was at her seventeenth hole when Baekhyun suddenly spoke up in a quiet voice.

"You don't need to be older, Yoonmi."

She looked up at him.

"Huh?"

"You really don't. You're fine the way you are. Having tangly hair and smelling like bananas is pretty enough."

Yoonmi blinked. Really, she didn't know if she felt surprised, complimented, or annoyed by that last remark.

She sniffed herself.

"I smell like bananas?" The girl stated a bit dryly.

"Sometimes, you do. It's not a bad thing, though. I like bananas."

Once again, Yoonmi didn't know if she should feel offended or happy.

 

"Yoonmi."

The way Baekhyun softly called her name brought a weird jumpy feeling in her stomach.

"Don't wish to be older. You're better the way you are right now."

 

Unfortunately, Yoonmi was much too young to keep those words inside her heart and comprehend them meaningfully. Instead, she just gave a curt nod of ignorance and started poking her eighteenth circle into the snow.

 

It wasn't her fault though that their story would become so difficult.

 

And besides.

It wasn't like Byun Baekhyun would act so accordingly to what he had just said throughout the next few years.