The New Student in First Grade

No Girls Allowed

September 13, 1998

The first day of school was always an exciting day for Lee Yoonmi. But, this year would especially be exciting.

1998. It was the first year Yoonmi would go to the same school with every one of the other guys.

6 years of primary school, 3 years of middle school, and 3 years of high school. Only two years were offered for Baekhyun and Yoonmi being in the same school.

And thank God it was only two.

"LEE YOONMI! Wake up already! All the other kids outside are leaving for school!"

Yoonmi groaned at her mother's yelling, her face burried in her pillow and her blankets tangled all over the place.

"YOONMI DO I HAVE TO GO UP THERE--"

"OKAY OKAY OKAY I'M UP!"

She reluctantly sat up from her comfy bed with a yawn, rubbing her half-opened eyes while trying to remember what day of the week this was. And when she finally remembered, her sleep immediately left her body.

It was the day she would go to the same school as her Oppa's.

"YES!"

With a bright, energetic grin on her face, Yoonmi jumped out of bed and sprinted towards her bathroom to wash up like the good girl she was. After brushing her teeth, splashing water over her cheeks, getting dressed, and brushing out her hair, Yoonmi quickly threw her backpack over her shoulders and ran downstairs, much to the surprisement of her mother.

"If only you could wake up like this more often..." The tall, beautiful woman with the same brown hair and eyes as her daughter handed her a neatly folded lunchbag. Yoonmi took it gladly with a 'thank you!' and ran towards the front door.

"Bye uhmma!"

"Be careful! Don't fall! Oh, and listen to your Baekhyun oppa! Be nice and share your lunch with him!"

"But he probably won't even ask, he has his own lunch and friends."

"Yoonmi, just share--"

"Alright, alright! BYE UHMMA!"

Yoonmi's mother watched her little daughter run out the door with an amused smile, only to suddenly stop realizing that the new primary school would be much farther and dangerous to walk to... especially for a six-year-old girl alone. With a worried gasp, she quickly headed out to call Yoonmi back in.

"Wait Yoon--"

The mother stopped when she saw the sight of her daughter safely surrounded by twelve other guys laughing and teasing as they all walked towards the same school. Baekhyun followed closely behind Yoonmi without her knowing, her being too busy bickering with Chen.

Yoonmi's mother smiled. She didn't have to worry.

Now, if only that stubborn little girl would be nice and share her lunch...

-----------------------------------

Yoonmi gaped at the guy in front of her with amazement.

"You actually came to ask for my lunch..." She muttered with displeasure, her fork still in the air.

Baekhyun only nodded eagerly. He had no idea what he was doing to the group of girls sitting next to Yoonmi.

Sulli, having been around them long enough to understand why Yoonmi didn't feel anything towards these attractive guys, frowned at Baekhyun.

"You have your own lunch!"

Baekhyun gave a pout. "But I ate it all!"

Yoonmi narrowed her eyes, quickly hugging her lunch components protectively.

"Nope, I'm not sharing anything! So don't be a bully and go back to your friends and play video games!" She stuck her tongue out with a frown, earning a sigh from Baekhyun.

"Fine, fine, fine. I'll let you play with us today. But only if you give me that cookie."

Immediately, Yoonmi brightened up.

"Really?! Really really really?!"

"Mmhm. Now please, hand over Auntie's cookie so I don't die of starvation."

Sulli scoffed quietly. "You won't starve since you already had your lunch." She muttered logically.

Yoonmi gladly handed the cookie over to Baekhyun.

"You promise?"

"Yup. I promise." He said as he bit into the golden, brown cookie with a happy smile.

Byun Baekhyun kept his promise.

It's just that, it was the last promise he would ever keep to Lee Yoonmi.

Ever.

-------------------------------------------------

"Alright, class. Please take out your books and open to page 21."

Yoonmi yawned out loud, not being one to care for the 'proper manner of covering your mouth oh-so-prettily'... whoever made that up.

A few weeks into school, and Yoonmi had already gotten used to the exhilariting first year of elementary. The city, after all, was small, and everyone knew each other in their grades. She didn't have to deal with meeting new friends or wondering who would be in her class. Almost all students were always in the same class with each other in this city. It was like shifting up with the same, old people just to a different teacher.

Which was why it was a big deal when a new student arrived in the middle of class.

The morning, though, continued to start off normal.

"SEONSAENG-NIM!" A preppy girl with a large red bow on her head raised her hand.

Yoonmi rolled her eyes and exchanged knowing looks with Sulli from across the room, wondering how and when Minah had gotten on her 'annoying' list like this.

Then she remembered. It had been the moment she had dove into Baekhyun's arms back in preschool.

Yoonmi couldn't help but fume a bit to herself as she recalled that scene, having always felt a little angry whenever that girl acted so close with Baekhyun. Because after all, no matter how immature she knew it was, Baekhyun was her Oppa that she had known much longer than Minah, and she had no right to suddenly take her position as his one and only dongsaeng.

"Yes, Minah?" The teacher answered, having already memorized the girl's name. Like all the other teachers who had had her before, she knew from the first day of school that Minah would be that student.

"May I please read the first passage and answer the first question?"

The student who always said that.

Yoonmi inwardly groaned as the teacher laughed her 'teacher' laugh and gave Minah permission, causing the entire room to echo her loud voice reading whatever story they were reading.

To her, it was a wonder why the girl attracted so much attention among the boys of the classroom. Not that she cared, for she actually genuinely didn't care. It just didn't make any sense to her why boys would choose Minah over a nice and pretty girl like Sulli.

"Myungsoo, please read the next passage." The teacher said.

Yoonmi immediately averted her gaze to Kim Myungsoo, who began to read out loud.

Say him, for example. Myungsoo had always been the handsomest one in the class. His face was one of those model-like faces that even the adults had to admit to be very good-looking for a six-year-old. He was obviously very popular among the girls, and deserved someone equally as pretty as him. So what in the world would've gotten him to chase Minah around the playground during the past few lunches?!

"Jieun, you read the next."

Yoonmi didn't even know what page the class was on by now, already deep in her own thoughts about Minah and how annoying she was. So by the time the teacher announced a new student in their class, Yoonmi wasn't ready at all for the sudden boy who walked into the classroom.

"Class, please welcome Lee Byunghun. He came from America, so be nice and help him around the school."

Immediately, the class erupted into chatter and murmurs. Many of the girl squealed here and there, and there already were guys eager to befriend the 'cool kid who came from America'.

It was by then when Yoonmi finally became aware of the change of the classroom, and she blinked around in confusion at her suddenly loud classmates. When she looked over at Sulli for help, the girl only gave a meaningful grin and squeal to her, eagerly gesturing to the front of the classroom to fill in her friend who was missing out on everything.

Yoonmi did.

A brown-haired boy with dark eyes and a handsome face stood next to the teacher, back against the wall. He reflected a charismatic aura by just standing there, which was not something six-year-olds could master so well.

Yoonmi raised an eyebrow, a bit surprised that a new student had came during the third week of school... well, that a new student had came here at all.

"Go ahead and introduce yourself, Byunghun." The teacher said.

The boy gave a small smile, making him look a bit more approachable.

 

"Annyeong, my name is Byunghun. I came from America, and I don't know much about here, but I'm looking forward to a good year with all of you."