Observations Better Forgotten

No Girls Allowed

Lee Byunghun, huh.

Yoonmi watched her classmates make a ruckus of chatters about the new student as they waited for the teacher to say anything more.

Smiling in amusement at the class's enthusiasm towards the new student, the teacher looked around to see where Byunghun should sit. Immediately, the class sat still, anticipating on who would get to be his seatmate.

The teacher's eyes stopped on the empty seat next to Yoonmi, much to Yoonmi's surprisement herself. But before the teacher could say anything, a familiar hand shot up into the air from behind.

"SEONSAENG-NIM! Byunghun can sit next to me!" Minah yelled cheerfully, causing all the other girls in the classroom to glare at her.

Myungsoo, sitting next to her, frowned. "But I'm sitting next to you--"

"I can show Byunghun around too! I've been here long enough to know what is where!" Minah ignored Myungsoo, only focusing her gaze on the teacher and Byunghun.

The teacher, a bit taken back, blinked a few times in hestitation. But after seeing that there wasn't any reason to say no, she nodded and smiled at Byunghun.

"You can sit next to Minah. She's a very bright and friendly girl. She'll show you around the school and neighborhood."

Byunghun, obvlivious to the mini-chaos in every other girl's mind that moment, walked over next to Minah and sat down in his new seat without a word. And just like that, all the hearts of the girls dropped while the guys glared in envy at the new student.... including Myungsoo, having reluctantly packed up his stuff and moved to the empty seat in the back of the classroom.

Yoonmi, seeing no need to pay attention to Byunghun anymore, turned her gaze back to the front of the classroom, ready to doze out again from the book they were reading. After all, all that was on her mind right now was playing with her Oppa's after class ended.

But she stopped short when she caught sight of Sulli, who looked very annoyed. She was frowning, throwing looks at Minah like never before.

Yoonmi raised an eyebrow.

Because it sure looked like her best friend would be something after this class ended.

----------------------------------------

Yoonmi was right.

 

"Can you BELIEVE her?! How can she be so... so..." Sulli stopped, because one word to sum up Bang Minah was impossible to think of.

"Annoying? Loud? Senseless? Selfish?" Yoonmi helped.

"YES. All of that! I'm telling you, Yoonmi, the teacher was about to pick the seat next to YOU! Because, I mean, it's like the only empty seat available in the room! But then MINAH had to barge in and ruin everything!"

Yoonmi sighed.

"It's fine, Sulli. Besides, I didn't even want him to sit next to me. As annoying as she is, just let Minah talk her off and whatever to Byunghun. He'll know soon enough how evil that girl is."

"Of COURSE he will. He HAS to! Byunghun's way too good for Minah! I really really really thought he was cute... It's all that stupid Minah's fault--"

"Who's Byunghun?" A deep voice suddenly boomed right between Yoonmi and Sulli's ears.

With a gasp, the two girls jumped and flipped around wide-eyed, just to find Chanyeol grinning ear to ear back at them, snickering.

"Scared ya."

Immediately, a morbid, dark glare appeared on Sulli's usually bright face. Yoonmi held her breath, knowing what was going to explode.

"Would you PLEASE. STOP. DOING THAT?! Is scaring me and making me angry ALL you do in your life?! Well, you're a big, fat MEANIE. OKAY?! It's NOT funny, and you and your friends are just plain JERKS. Why can't you actually be NICE for once, HUH?! YOU'RE JUST.... JUST...."

She let out an angry breath.

"MEAN."

And with that, the girl stomped away, leaving a completely shocked Chanyeol standing frozen, staring at the angry girl with wide, dumbfounded eyes.

He turned to looked Yoonmi.

"..... Did that just happen?"

Yoonmi sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Sometimes, you can be really senseless, Oppa. That was the worst possible timing ever." She stomped away after her best friend.

Now left alone, Chanyeol blinked, his eyes still as huge as ever. Because no matter how much he thought about it, and how much he tried to reason and figure out what had just happened...

He scratched his head.

"Huh?!"

-----------------------------------

The next day during lunch was loud, with the news of Lee Byunghun flipping everything around.

"Hey Byunghun!"

"Byunghun, come sit with us!"

"Byunghun! Come over here!"

"Hey Byunghun, let me introduce you to my friends!"

Being a kind person in contrast to his charismatic looks, Byunghun couldn't help but walk over to each and every person who talked to him, smiling at new friends and nodding politely at the giggling girls who said hi.

Yoonmi, when having arrived to the cafeteria with Sulli, shook her head and clucked her tongue, feeling bad for the poor guy who couldn't really sit down in one place and eat his lunch peacefully.

She looked at Sulli.

"Go ahead and sit at our table. I'm gonna go to the bathroom first."

"Alright. But you better come quick before Baekhyun realizes you're not there and starts stealing food from me. Because I'm telling you, I will NOT share my good food."

Yoonmi rolled her eyes. "Okay, okay. I'll be back before you know it."

Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

"Psst. Yoonmi."

Surprised, Yoonmi turned around to find Chanyeol staring back at her with a strangely serious look on his face. Which was really really strange for a guy like him.

She raised an eyebrow.

"Oppa? What are you doing here?"

Chanyeol walked over to her.

"Nothing, I just..."

He suddenly began to look a bit shy, much to Yoonmi's surprise.

"I.... Um.... Can you explain to me who this Byunghun is?"

Yoonmi blinked at Chanyeol, who was avoiding her eyes.

"... Byunghun? You mean the new student?"

"He's a new student?" He asked timidly.

"Yeah. He's from America. He came to my class just yesterday." Yoonmi tilted her head in question. "But why?"

Chanyeol lightly cleared his throat, ignoring her last question.

"Is he good-looking?"

"Well... I guess so. All the girls like him."

"... Does Sulli like him?"

Yoonmi raised her eyebrows.

"Sulli? I guess. Well, I think. But I'm not sure. Why do you want to know?"

"I just... Well...." He suddenly sighed. "Nevermind."

Yoonmi watched Chanyeol walk away sulkily with confusion. Why had he even... what... does he perhaps....

After a few moments of standing there frozen in thought, Yoonmi remembered that Sulli was waiting for her, and simply shrugged before heading back to the cafeteria.

And it was when she opened the cafeteria door when she got a big surprise.

"... Sulli?"

Yoonmi dropped her jaw at her best friend sitting across from Byunghun the new student himself, looking pretty flustered and happy at the same time. Instinctively, she looked around for Chanyeol, and saw him with the other guys. He was sadly watching Sulli and Byunghun talk to each other.

Yoonmi looked back and forth from Sulli and Chanyeol and then at Byunghun.

"Interesting." Was all that she said before walking over to Sulli and plopping her lunch tray right next to hers.

Sulli immediately looked at her with wide, sparkling eyes, exchanging a happy message. He sat here he sat here he sat here!

Yoonmi had to keep from rolling her eyes at her best friend's sudden giddiness compared to yesterday, and gave a friendly smile to Byunghun.

"Hey. I'm Yoonmi from your class."

Byunghun smiled back politely, and exchanged greetings as well.

And it happened to be right at that polite moment when Baekhyun and his hungry stomach sat right on Yoonmi's table. Chanyeol was behind him, still looking pretty glum.

"Hey, my beautiful and wonderful dongsaeng, may I please please please have a cookie as awesome as you--"

Yoonmi rolled her eyes.

"No. No, no, and no. Not today. I didn't even start eating yet!"

Baekhyun formed a pout.

"But sharing is car-- Hey. Who're you."

Byunghun looked up at Baekhyun, about to answer when Sulli suddenly took his hand with a grin.

"He's my friend! Byunghun's a new student from America in our class."

Yoonmi suddenly wanted to give a comforting hug to Chanyeol.

Baekhyun looked at Yoonmi with a frown.

"He's in your class too?"

Yoonmi barely nodded at him, too focused on worrying about the sad Chanyeol behind him.

The mixed up thoughts and feelings were then suddenly interrupted by a familiar girl with a red bow on her head.

"Hi Byunghun!~"

Sulli's bright face suddenly turned to a frown. Minah, on the other hand, took Byunghun's wrist and practically dragged him out of his seat. She grinned.

"I need to show you around the school! Come on, lunch is almost over. We need to explore everywhere quickly."

Right when she was about to sprint away from the table, the girl suddenly froze and looked back at Yoonmi and the others.

"Hey.... But where's Baekhyun oppa?"

Yoonmi had to pinch herself to keep from laughing at the panicked Baekhyun hiding under the table behind Chanyeol.

It took a moment for Minah to shrug and turn her attention towards Byunghun again, dragging him all the way out of the cafeteria to go on their mini 'tour'.

And after a few silent seconds, the top of Baekhyun's head peeked out from under the table.

"Is she gone?" He whispered.

"Yup."

As Baekhyun got out of his hiding place to try stealing Yoonmi's cookie again, Yoonmi only watched Sulli and Chanyeol have a sad expression on their faces, scratching her head in wonder.

After a few moments of thinking about the whole, complicated thing between her friend and the other two guys, Yoonmi finally sighed and decided it was best to forget all the observations she had made today. Besides, it wasn't going to do her any good except make her confused. A six-year-old didn't deserve to have to think about such a difficult system of knowledge.

So Yoonmi forgot about it, and looked back at her lunch to peacefully eat it.

There was no cookie.

"BAEK. HYUN. OPPA."