ONE

Deception

Dark pillows of clouds were gathering up in the sky, the previous baby blue shade now darkening into a gravel-grey. It wasn't all too long after, when the first raindrop tapped against my window, followed by a second, a third. It was raining heavily. A typical summer day. For some reason, pitter-patter sound of the raindrops sprinkling against the glass of my window was somehow very soothing.

I wonder how the shower of droplets would feel on my skin.

A sigh eases past the coffins of my lips as I keep gazing out, watching the people in my neighborhood, something that could almost become a natural habit, since there isn't much to do at home anyway. 

Mom was at work, so I was left alone like most of the time. In movies I have seen, they would always invite friends over and throw the biggest party, however I can't even text my friends, because I don't have any. Just why is life so unfair to me? 

Ever since I've been a kid was I bound to stay home, locked up from the society, away from the outside world. Why? Because of my illness. The stupid illness that I have been blessed with. I never really understood what it was either as mom wasn't fond of talking about it. The only thing she constantly reminds me of is to never even once set foot outside the doorstep, because God who knows what might happen if I do. One might think it is frustrating, yes. But, I pretty much grew up like this, so I somehow managed to bear with everything. 

Only when the rain eventually stopped did I move back to my bed, my eyes glued at the ceiling. I could lie here for hours, the boredom is real. The house was quiet, I didn't even have a pet that I could play with.

In moments like this, I always wonder what it would be like to life a normal life. To go to school like any other teenager, hang out with friends, go to wild parties, and what would it be like to have a boyfriend? Or simply just a friend, someone to share all your secrets with. A thousand of questions I ask myself over and over again.

Damn, I'd do anything to spend a day living like any other person, just once.

“Seul!” A disembodied voice echoes through the house. It was Mom.

I lazily hop off my bed and skip downstairs, where I was greeted by the sight of my momther unpacking the shopping bag in the kitchen.

“Hey there,” I greet her with a small smile as I hurry to her side to help her with the groceries. “How was your day?”

“You know, stressful and busy as always. I will have to go to another seminar this weekend, so I guess we will have to postpone our mother-daughter day,” Mom huffed, her arms crossed over her chest as she leaned against the counter and watched me put away whatever she had bought. I'm not really surprised by her statement, since I spend most of the time alone anyway, so hearing that she would be gone for the next two days didn't faze me at all. She has always tried to be the best mom on earth to me, especially because of my ty situation, but work has never stopped getting in between us, I just grew to understand it one day.

“That's cool, I can just have a movie marathoon with myself,” Unfortunately, I appear a bit more pissed than I intended to.

“Seul—”

It was the sound of the doorbell that cut her off, thankfully.

“I'll—”

“I'll do it, you stay here.” Mom said, before rushing over to the door. I was strangely never allowed to get to the door, I bet our neighbours don't even know I exist.

Soft laughters could be heard, it was a female voice along with Mom's. 

Minutes passed by and she was still not back yet, the laughter didn't die down either and another voice occasionally joined in, it was a deeper one, more masculine. Judging by the tone of the voice, I assume the male wasn't all too old, a teen perhaps.

Just one glance.

Quietly, I tiptoe to the corridor as I can't help feeling a tad bit of curiosity washing over me.

A relatively woman is standing in front of Mom, a slightly taller boy on her right. They were still laughing and chatting about whatever, not noticing me yet and hopefully not at all. 

Just as I was about to head back into the kitchen, did the boy's eyes meet mine. Frozen. I was like frozen on my spot as his deep brown eyes bored into mine. His dirty blonde dyed hair was messy, 

He did nothing but gaze at me from afar, his facial expression unreadable. 

Just turn around and leave.

“Seems like you're not alone,” The boy gestures towards me, interrupting the conversation of our parents.

Mom's expression almost immediately drops when she catches sight of me and silently mouths at me to leave, but it was too late by then since all eyes were on me now anyway.

“Wow, she's so gorgeous," The woman gasps seemingly taken aback by me, "Nice to meet you! I'm Kim Taehee and this is my son Taehyung, we just moved into the house right across of yours.”

So they are new neighbours. 

“Um, hello..." I mutter uneasily.

“Do you also attend—”

“The oven!” Mom cuts Taehyung off, “I'm so sorry, but we were preparing dinner. Maybe we can continue another time.”

“Oh, yes of course!” Mrs. Kim flashes the two of us a broad smile, before bidding a farewell and without any other word being said, Mom closes the door shut with a frown gracing her features.

“What did I tell you about this?”

“Mom—”

“No, Seul. You know exactly how I feel about all this, don't get to the door.”

I sigh. She was obviously getting worked up for nothing. 

“Calm down, I didn't even get to hold a proper conversation with them.”

“Calm down? Them seeing you is the last thing I was hoping for!” She had raised her voice now and I can't tell if it was on unintentionally, but one thing I know for sure is that I'm getting really upset about her statement.

“Them seeing me? You're saying this as if I'm some type of monster or from outta space,” I scoff and turn on my heels to head upstairs. 

“Choi Seul!” Mom calls after me, but I didn't bother sparing another glance and her. 

Slamming the door of my room shut, I curl up on my bed afterwards and blankly stare ahead.

I don't understand. Why was she getting so upset with me for literally nothing? All I did was checking to see who was at the door. Is it wrong to be curious? I'm pretty sure they will forget about me anyway, I didn't even get to tell them my name, and judging by the way Mom was acting, I bet she didn't even tell them that I exist either. But it's whatever.

Frustrated, I hop off my bed to look out of the window again. The sky was still dark, the streets wet and empty.

The house right across of ours they said. 

Averting my gaze towards the house that was seemingly almost as big as ours, I watched the lady from earlier, Mrs. Kim and her son getting the last two moving boxes from the trunk of their car. How come I my never noticed that house being empty the whole time?

Taehyung stops and turns around right in front of his door, his eyes somewhere I can't exactly tell. He is staring upwards, and for a moment it seems like he is looking at the sky, that was until the corner of his lips tugged into a set smile. 

He was looking at me.