The Dancing Devil

Night Episodes

Title: The Dancing Devil (Kaisoo)

Summary: Kyungsoo had always liked walking around the street at night; until they moved to a new street where he had met his fear’s match.

 

 

 

The Dancing Devil:

     -I just stood there, completely frozen as the smiling man crept toward me.

 

 

 

“Finally! A new apartment.” Chen, my so-called roommate, exclaims as I emptied my own box of things.

 

We just moved in this new apartment and the area was to my liking. Being the night person I was, I anticipated walking through the streets when we’re all done settling in.

 

“Yah Kyungsoo, don’t plan on walking alone tonight. We’re just new here and you don’t know what’s out there at such late hour,” Chen warns me suddenly and I look up from my box at him with confusion.

 

“I know what you do every night and I’m worried,” he added before continuing on cleaning his desk. I just smiled a small smile and joked, “Relax. The last place we were in, the drug dealers from one of the dark alleys are kind enough to let me pass through them.”

 

I heard a snickering sound and just chuckled. I wasn’t really scared of what will happen. I just happen to be awake at such early hours in the morning and tend to walk it out for half an hour to gain my sleepiness again. But since Chen who’s been my roommate for a year now doesn’t share the same past time I have, there was no other choice but to do it alone.

 

It was that night Chen was already sleeping soundly on his bed I could even hear his snores that I was tossing and turning on my bed and I couldn’t sleep – habit of mine that hasn’t left me since I started living apart from home.

 

I stare at the clock and it was 2am-ish already. I sat up and felt my feet touching the cold wooden floor, stretching my arms up and I let out a loud groan as I feel every muscle pop. I grabbed my jacket and put on my chuck then and went out the apartment building.

 

As I stepped on the clean sidewalk of the neighbourhood, the night breeze blew past through my face and I shivered. I placed my hands inside my jacket’s pockets and continued walking.

 

This is what is appealing from my night walks. It was quiet and only busy traffic from afar was the sound. The wind occasionally becomes strong and then drop. I find it quite amusing how houses’ lights turn off each minute indicating the tenants retiring for the night. I walked and walked until I was too far from our building. I turned right and continued moving my limbs forward.

 

It has come to a time I halted my steps and takes in the sight of the unfamiliar street I was on. I knew how to get back to our place but I reached a part of the area that was quite deserted now since the houses had turned off their lights. I watched the whole place and only saw the street lamps as the source of light.

 

I continued walking, unmoved by the silent place which would have scared a person with low tolerance for such dark places. The sidewalk I was on now was quite wider than the previous path so I took my time walking and thinking of different things.

 

The only sounds I heard were my shoes landing on the pavement and the dust of dirt swirling on the ground because of the wind. I grew bored then and decided to turn around already. I was about to continue walking back to our apartment when I saw him.

 

There was a man standing feet away from my side of the sidewalk. He was wearing a grey old suit and was walking... or more like dancing in waltz. I stared at him for a moment and then he was dancing gracefully in box as he approached. He passed by a street lamp and there I saw his face.

 

He was tall, preferably taller than me, and he moved gracefully under the light. But what was weird was that he was looking up in the sky and I saw how his smile was so wide it could grow the jaw painful for too much smiling. I walked at the very far end of the sidewalk as I decided to avoid him since he might be drunk. And when he got nearer I saw how his smile grew wider than it could possibly have.

 

Thinking it was safer to avoid him more, I crossed the street before I could meet him face to face. I focused forward and didn’t look back.

 

But when I reached the sidewalk across the previous one I was on, I turned my head and widened my eyes slightly. The man was now parallel to where I was – a foot down one step at the road. He was standing in front of me but he was still looking up the sky. What was up in there anyways that is more enticing than the road you are on?

 

I walked forward then but didn’t take off my eyes of him. I wasn’t really panicking but just looked at him. He had stopped moving and his graceful dancing wasn’t in show anymore.

 

When I figured he’d be stuck there for the rest of the night, I finally focused my eyes on the pavement before me and started walking back to the street I was supposed to be on.

 

A little part of me wanted to forget what happened but curiosity prevailed. I looked back the pavement he was on and there was no one. I sighed in relief but the action was cut short when I looked behind me.

 

He had crossed the street also.

 

He just stood there again, looking up the sky with his stupid cartoon grin. I continued walking but still looked back at him.

 

And then he finally looked at me.

 

He crouched down and started taking gigantic step with his arms arched forward, like a cartoon creeper. I stopped with my movement and stared at him, frozen. I just stood there, completely still as the smiling man crept toward me.

 

When he reached a car length distant from me, I started a whispered, “What do.. you.. want..” instead of an angry tone I meant to voice out. He was looking at me, with his wide smile, and eyes boring them inside me. I admit I was scared. It wasn’t anything I had experienced before. I just looked back, unable to scream or run.

 

And then he stared up again.

 

He slowly turned around, so painfully slow it made my heartbeat race fast. When I saw his back, he started waltzing his way again opposite my way. I couldn’t sigh nor move nor say anything yet. I watched in anticipation for him to disappear from my sight – his graceful dancing distanced him from me.

 

When he was so far I could barely make out of his figure, I squinted my eyes to see what he was up to.

 

And it flashed before me that he had turned around and started running creepily but fast towards me.

 

I ran too.

 

Adrenaline rush kept me running and running and I never dared looked back if he was near me or not. I was simply scared and when I finally reached the apartment building, I dared look back and saw no one anymore. I staggered towards the near bench and retrieved my normal breathing there.

 

Before I could even register my surrounding, I already stood up and raced for the elevator; afraid of seeing the man again.

 

As I go back to the soft retreat of my bed, I struggled to forget.

 

But I will never. His face was now a clear stamp on my head. He wasn’t drunk nor was he high. His face showed no emotions and his ear splitting grin only added to the dreadfulness.

 

Ever since then, I dared not walk out the streets at that hour for a second time. Everytime I walk on the daylight though, a part of me is still scared of the fact that he might just be there, watching or waiting for another victim to scare off.

 

But nevertheless, his face will continue to haunt me forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: [This] might help the night creep you are craving. Although I don’t find the film creepy as I read the original story in reddit. Yes, weird to write a fanfiction of these kinds of things instead of scary blood ghost stuffs. But confession, (dancing devil is the only part i didn’t write in night time.) I’m a puss like that.

 

Other creepy stories are: Mr. Widemouth, Headlight Incident, & Sleeping Application