Mysterious Encounters

307 Letters (on hiatus)

"Goodmorning!", Bom said while wlking towards the table where Chaerin was seated. "Goodmorning to you too!", Chaerin greeted back.

Bom bought a coffe and toast and started to eat breakfast. While eating breakfast, she couldn't help but think about what she should reply back on her new penpal...

"Hmmm... Jiyong...", She mumbled to herself. 

 

"Hey, Earth to Bom. Earth to Bom.", Chaerin waves her hand infront of Bom's face. 

"Uh. Huh? What?"

"You're pacing out again. So, what got you 'out of this world', that I've been talking for like an hour now? Huh?" Chaerin crossed her arms in her chest. "Well...", Bom was quite unsure. "Well?", Chaerin raised a brow. "Well... Remember, the bottle that I got from the shore yesterday?", chaerin nodded at this, "Well, I was thinking about what I should reply to him.".

"Hmmm.. that's easy. Just tell him the basic information about you. your likes/interests. What you do... blah blah blah. Okay?", Bom nodded and said, "I suppose you're right."

"Oh, and I won't be able to accompany you today. I've got a lot of errands to run today for eomma. Since it's only two days til school starts again. And the dorm will be occupied again by many students. Anyways, just enjoy yourself today. 'kay?', Bom smiled and nodded.

 

When they finished breakfast, Chaerin got out, while Bom returned to her room.

 

Bom lied down on her bed, thinking of how she should reply that of hers. She then decided to grab a piece of paper and a pen. “How should I start this? I better take Chaerin’s advice.” She mumbled to herself and then she started to write.

Dear Jiyong,

I actually got your letter while I was strolling at the beach with my friend. Oh, and by the way, my name’s Park Bom. I was born here in Seoul, Korea, but we moved to Japan. And I came back here for college. Right now, I’m living by myself. It’s only a few days since school will be starting again. I hope you’ll be able to receive this letter. I f you ever receive this, feel free to write back and send it here: ********

-Bom.”

“That was quite short, but I think that’ll do. I’ll just write something longer when he already writes back.” Bom thought. Then she grabbed an envelope, folded her letter and placed it inside the enveloped.

“Hmm… Since Chaerin won’t be here, I’ll just ride a bus later to the post office”, she thought to herself. “oh, and I’d better  call eomma. She might get sulky again”, she grabbed her phone and dialed her mom’s number. Her mother picked up after a few rings.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Hi eomma, It’s Bom.” “Bom!”

“Yes Eomma?”

“How are you? Are you sick? Have you been eating well? Or perhaps you’ve been skipping your meals again! Or maybe---“

Bom cut her mother before she could finish, “Eomma, calm down. And would you please stop worrying about me. I’m perfectly fine. Besides, the people here are very friendly and welcoming. So, there’s nothing to worry about.”

“Oh, that’s good to hear”

“How about you eomma? How are you?”

“Well, besides from worrying too much about you… I’m fine”

Bom and her mother had a long conversation. They talked for about 45 minutes on the phone.

 

“Bye eomma, take care alright?”

“I will. And you too. Don’t forget about what we’ve talked about”  “Yes eomma. I won’t”

“And always call or beep me. ‘Kay” “Yes eomma”

“And---“, “Eomma. Yes, of course. Now are we gonna hung up or we’ll just have this conversation again and again?”

Bom heard her mom sighed, “Fine. Love you Bommie.”

“Love you too eomma, bye.”

“Bye.”

Then they hung up.

She picked out her clothes, and went inside the bathroom to take a bath. When she was done, she wore her clothes, fixed herself and got out of the dormitory, but without having to say a few words to Mrs. Lee that she’ll be out to the post office. She walked a few block and waited at the bus stop. While waiting for the bus, she decided to take a little stroll in town and have her own girl time.

The bus arrived and she hopped in, making her way to the post office. When she caught sight of the post office, she hopped off the bus at the nearest bus stop.

She stopped her tracks, “Geez. Why am I nervous? It’s just sending a letter right? Oh, stop being such a coward Bom!”, she thought. Finally she went in. After a few minutes, she was finished and decided to take a little walk in the park.

When she got there, she sat peacefully on a bench and watched the view in front of her.

Suddenly she saw some couples cuddling with each other, walking together hand in hand and others were just enjoying their time with each other.

“*sigh* they sure do look happy.”, she mumbled to herself.

“Yeah, they sure do” a voice suddenly said, Bom was shocked. She looked beside her, and saw someone sat beside her.

“Uhmmm, are you talking to me?” Bom asked, pointing at her face. “Of course, who else would I talk to”, the boy smiled and nodded.

“Oh”, was all Bom could muster. She was starting to get scared. Questions like:

“What if he’s a criminal? A murderer? Why did he talk to me? Was he stalking me from the very beginning? Have I done something wrong for me to deserve this? What if I haven’t notice it? …”

The atmosphere became awkward for a moment, and it was scaring Bom. All she could do is stare in front of her, and avoid to look at the man beside her. When she thought of asking who the man was, he suddenly disappeared.

“Huh? Was I just seeing things?”, Bom shrugged. “Maybe that was my imagination? Am I that lonely, to be imagining such things?” she mumbled to herself. “I better get back”.

With that, she stood up and walk towards the bus stop, she rode back home to the dormitory.

 

 

"Oh, Bommie! You're back!", Chaerin approached Bom.

"Yeah, you're home already?", Chaerin nodded. "I finished quickly"

"Have you sent the letter?", Bom nodded.