Chapter 3

A Loveless Man...?

After the chaotic morning, JiSun didn’t know what to think anymore. He said he loved her. She sat in her lab trying to figure this out. *It’s impossible. How could he feel love? I didn’t put that into his program.*

 

“I love you.” HoWon said to her.

JiSun was shocked but didn’t take it seriously. “Ayyyye, stop fooling around.”

“I’m not fooling around,” he said sternly. He took her hand and put it over where his ‘heart’ was supposedly. She felt his gears turning rapidly and if she wasn’t mistaken, there was an actual heartbeat going. *But that’s not possible. He’s a robot without love programmed into him. He can’t just form it himself, can he?* JiSun made eye contact with HoWon again. “I really do love you JiSun. From the day you flipped my power switch on, I have loved you. Now that I finally figured out what this emotion is, I know it’s real. You are the most beautiful girl I know and you are perfect. I’ve never met any human girl as perfect as you and I really do mean it.”

JiSun was completely flabbergasted. *Did he just...?* She didn’t know what to say to him. “I gotta go,” with that she yanked her arm away and sprinted through the apartment building.

 

JiSun sat there with her pen and the outline of HoWon (#910328). Dugeun Dugeun Dugeun “So the feeling is mutual HoWonnie.” She had to get back to work immediately to solve this problem.*Now what could have possibly happened that he was able to develop his own emotions?*

~~~~~~~

HoWon stood outside of CEO Lee Jung Yeop’s office. *I have to do this, for JiSun.* With a big breath of confidence, he walked into the office.

“Oh Hoya! How great it is to see you?” CEO Lee Jung Yeop greeted him. “I was just about to call the Infini-...”

“I don’t want to be apart of Infinite anymore.” HoWon cut him off.

“W-wh-what?”

“Take me out of the group.”

“Ah! I see, you want to go solo!”

“No.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t want to be part of Woollim Entertainment anymore.”

“What? Why?”

HoWon took a deep breath. “Because I found a new interest, a new purpose.”

“And what is that?” CEO Lee Jung Yeop was getting frustrated now.

“Someone, someone who I deeply admire,” HoWon thought back to last night’s memory. “So much that I’m willing to give this up because I love her.”

“Where did you get this emotion?! I specifically told JiSun not to program love into your system.” The CEO expressed angrily. “She is going to get it now,” he muttered to himself.

With HoWon’s super hearing, he couldn’t let that statement go. “You will NOT lay a single finger on her!”

CEO Lee Jung Yeop raised an eyebrow in amusement and pressed a button on his phone. *So she’s the one who defected you with this love stuff.* “You want to be out of the group Hoya?”

“It’s ‘HoWon’,” he gritted through his teeth.

“Whatever it is, may your request be granted.”

HoWon was confused on how he gave up so quickly. He was prepared for a battle.

“You called Mr. CEO?” JiSun came in obediently but her eyes widened at the sight of HoWon.

“Yes I did JiSun-sshi,” he shift his attention from her to HoWon. “Please take this defective robot and destroy him. It seems to be that he has been given the emotion of love.”

“What?” Both JiSun and HoWon exclaimed.

“But sir, I followed all your orders and I didn’t give it him. He developed it on his own. I have all the no-...”

“So you already knew of this condition?”

“No, well yes, but that’s not important!”

“Take him back to the lab and destroy this defective robot.”

JiSun swallowed the knot that was building up in . “No.”

They both gave her a questioning look. JiSun was the best employee at Woollim Entertainment and this was the first time she refused an order.

“I will not destroy him.”

“What?! Why not?!”

“Because I also love him.” HoWon’s eyes widened at this moment, he just wanted to pick her up and kiss like in the movie but he knew now wasn’t a good time.

The CEO scoffed. “You love him? How could you possibly love him? He’s just a damn robot.”

“He’s not just a damn robot, he’s my damn robot and I love him. I won’t let you destroy him.”

“But you will,” CEO Lee Jung Yeop smirked. “Remember how much you needed this job?”

JiSun remembered clearly; her mother was severely ill in the hospital and her father was constantly running away from loan sharks because he took out loans for her mother’s medical bills. When there was a job opening in Woollim Entertainment for a science field, she took it immediately, but she would have to work there until all the loans and bills were paid off. She even signed a contract to stay with them for five years. There was no escape from here.

“You have five days to do your job JiSun-sshi: either destroy him, or erase his memory completely. Aren’t I nice? I even gave you choices,” CEO Lee Jung Yeop smiled wickedly. JiSun was on the verge of tears; she clenched her teeth and stormed out. HoWon glared at the man and followed her.

“JiSun!” He repeatedly called out to her but she didn’t respond, and just continued walking. “JiSun-ah, what’s wrong?” He finally caught up and stopped her tracks. Tears were rolling down her cheeks; it was painful for him to see her cry. He didn’t like the idea of the girl he loved in pain. JiSun shook her head trying to hide her face. HoWon didn’t know what to do anymore; he wrapped his arms around her and embraced her. She continued to cry in her chest, but calmed down a bit when she heard his ‘heart’ beat; it comforted her. *How is it even possible that you can develop this emotion yourself? Do you really love me that much?*

~~~~~~~

“So that’s why you need to continue working here?” HoWon confirmed after listening to her story while they sat in her lab office. JiSun simply nodded. It angered him that he couldn’t do anything to help her. They sat there together in silence. “Why did CEO Lee Jung Yeop say I was a defective robot? Was I built wrong?”

JiSun brought her hand up to caress his cheek. “You’re not a defective,” she said very lovingly. “As a matter of fact, you came out perfect.” She thought back to the day he was finally built. “You had the ability of sing, dance, and rap. It was something the CEO wanted only programmed in you. I always thought it was strange how the CEO didn’t want love programmed into any of the Infinite members. I mean, how could you be an idol who is loved but doesn’t know what it even is.”

HoWon was touched by what he heard because he had thought that she was perfect when he saw her too. “If love wasn’t programmed into me, then how did I encounter it?”

She smiled, “that’s what I asked myself too,” she chuckled softly. “It seemed nearly impossible, but from what I’ve researched, you somehow developed it yourself. You didn’t seem to channel the rest of your emotions very well, but for some reason, you developed love naturally. Your emotion was so big, it took over most of your emotions and went on from there.” JiSun placed her hand over his chest. “If you feel it, it almost feels like an actual human heartbeat.” HoWon’s hand found it’s way over her’s.

~~~~~~~

A few days has passed, there was only one day left until JiSun had to make her decision. JiSun sat in her room thinking of the pros and cons of each horrid choice she was given. *If I destroy him...* Her heart cringed at even the thought of it. *I’ll never get to see him again; it’ll be as if he was dead.* She didn’t like the fact that he would be gone from her life forever. *If I erase his memory, there is still a chance I will still get to see him.* JiSun thought back to the short conversation she had with CEO Lee Jung Yeop.

 

“What’s wrong with feeling love? Why isn’t it allowed to be programmed into them?” JiSun stood in front of CEO Lee Jung Yeop’s desk.

He leaned forward and interlaced his fingers. “The thing is JiSun-sshi, when they learn to love, they no longer have the desire to follow up with the promotion plans. Love gets in the way of everything, that’s why #910328 has to be destroyed.”

It hurted JiSun that she still even had to make that decision. “Can’t I go with the other option?”

“If you choose to just erase his memory instead of destroying him, you have to remove yourself from his life forever. You can’t be anywhere around him, it might trigger any old emotions he has felt considering he programmed love into himself. As a matter of fact, I have a project for you to do with building our relations with the chinese industry, and you’ll be there for at least 4 years so it shouldn’t be a problem.” He smirked. “JiSun-sshi, there is only 2 days left. Make your decision quickly, or I will handle it myself.”

 

The thought made her depressed. *I probably may not even see him, but it probably would be best since he’s been working hard towards this debut. Maybe that’s what I’ll do.*

~~~~~~~

That day JiSun went to work trying to figure out how to erase HoWon’s memory without damaging any other part of him. After work, HoWon stood outside her office to wait for her.

“JiSunnie!” He greeted her with glee outside her door. Her eyes widened, she didn’t expect to see him here today. She smiled meekly and walked passed him. She wanted to avoid him as much as possible, if she could survive a day without him, she’ll be able to live him perfectly fine without him. HoWon was confused by her actions, but followed her. JiSun went back home to finish her work, but turned to face HoWon once they arrived outside her apartment.

“HoWon-sshi, please leave I have work to finish and you have practice to attend to, so please go along.” She told him politely.

He tilted his head in confusion. “‘HoWon-sshi?’ What happened to HoWonnie? Why so formal all of a sudden?”

“I believe we should part our own ways, you’re busy with your debut and I’m busy with work.”

“Are we... Breaking up?” HoWon felt this strange stab of pain, he put his hand over his chest. “JiSunnie, I think there is something wrong. I feel like I’m in pain, but I’m not hurt anywhere.”

“HoWon-sh...”

“HoWonNIE,” he corrected her.

“HoWonnie,” she sighed deeply rubbing her temple. “Let’s not do this here.”

“Then let’s do this inside,” he dragged her inside to her apartment room. “Explain this situation now.” JiSun sat on her couch and set her binder of paperwork on the coffee table. HoWon caught a glimpse at her work. “‘Memory Erase’,” he read out loud. “You’re planning to erase my memory?”

“It’s not like that,” JiSun covered up her stuff.

“Then what is it?” HoWon’s anger began to build up.

“I need this job and you need to debut. It was the only choice I can go with, I won’t do the other option.” She could feel tears filling up to the rim of her eyes.

“I rather you destroy me than me living not knowing you even exist!” He shouted, he hated the idea of living life not knowing her.

“You know I can’t do that, I don’t have the heart to make that happen!” She shouted back at him as she stood up from her seat. “I love you too much to do that,” she said in a smaller voice.

HoWon softened, “I love you too.” He confessed. “Too much to live life not knowing the person that makes me happy.”

“HoWon-ah,” she brought her hand up to his face. “I’ll always be here, so you need to live your dream. You’re an amazing dancer, even if it was programmed in to you, your passion burns with it. I’ve watched you practice, you need to show the world your gift.”

He looked at her with loving eyes, he slowly leaned in and she did the same. Their lips met and it was as if they entered a whole new world. It was amazing, their lips danced along with each other. The kiss deepened as HoWon s his arms around JiSun’s waist and her arms encircled his neck. He didn’t know why he was doing this, but he saw it in a movie and it felt right. HoWon spent the night with JiSun and they spent their last moment together before the big day.

~~~~~~~

In the morning, HoWon woke up next to a sleeping JiSun. He swept her bangs out of her face and admired her flawless features. “I’m sorry JiSun, I have to do this,” he whispered. He gave her one last peck on her forehead and left.

JiSun woke up later and found that there was an empty space next to her. *HoWon? Where did he go?* She got out of bed and began her search. “HoWon?” She called out but there was no response. “HoWonnie?” She came upon a note that she found on the coffee table.

 

To my lovely JiSun,

I still remember the day I first laid eyes on you. You were the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen. There wasn’t a day when you weren’t on my mind. I must admit, I was pretty jealous whenever you were with the Infinite guys, especially with WooHyun, so stay away from him! I remember asking ‘What is love and is it redo-able?’. After a little research, I learned that when a man is in love, he wants to be by your side and there’s so much he wants to do for you. I love you JiSun, I really do. I’ll always be here for you. I want to give everything in my life to you. I would give up anything for you, even if that means giving up my dream or even my life. Thank you for creating me, for giving me a chance. Be happy, live fully. I love you

Your handsome man,

HoWonnie

 

JiSun smiled sweetly at the note but found it odd. “Why would he suddenly just write a note out of nowhere?” She wondered out loud. “Unless...” She reread the note. I would give up anything for you, even if that means giving up my dream or even my life. “No, it can’t be.” JiSun changed quickly and headed immediately to the lab. *HoWon, you can’t do this. You just can’t!*

~~~~~~~

HoWon stood in the middle of the laboratory figuring out how everything worked. *Don’t back out now. This is all for JiSun, I messed everything up for her. Now is time to make it up to her.* He kept telling himself as he looked down at all the tools laid out in front of him. *Here goes noth-...*

“HoWon!” He heard JiSun’s voice from afar. JiSun arrived at the large view window and saw HoWon inside. “Don’t do this! You can’t do this to yourself.” She raised her hands up to the glass window. HoWon walked to the window and raised his hand up to meet hers. JiSun had tears drenching down her cheeks, she already knew what he was going to do. “Please HoWonnie, you can’t do this,” she sobbed. All HoWon did was look at her with a painful smile. It hurt him to see her cry, but he didn’t want her to get in anymore trouble; after all, this was his fault to begin with. If he didn’t develop that stupid emotion, none of this would have happened. JiSun jiggled the door handle, but it wouldn’t budge.

“I’m sorry, but I love you.” HoWon said through the window and turned back to the center of the lab.

“HoWon,” she said with disbelief. “No, no HoWon you can’t!” She slammed against the glass. He turned back to her and gave her a half smile, he kissed his fingertips and blew it towards JiSun. She continued crying and hitting the window.

HoWon put a piece of chip over his heart and grabbed the remote. He took one last look at the one and only girl he loved. For the first time, he was crying. He felt tears coming out of his eyes. *Live life happily, I won’t be there to cause anymore trouble. I’m sorry JiSun, I love you.* With a sad smile, he pressed the red button and shattered into pieces. He had disintegrated into thin air. Parts of his robotic figure were lying everywhere. JiSun was now on her knees crying her eyes out. *Why did you leave me? Why? I thought you loved me. How could you be so selfish?* She continued crying there as the horrid event kept replaying.

~~~~~~~

It was March 28th, 2013. Nearly four years has past since the incident and yet he is still in JiSun’s heart. Infinite is a really successful seven member band now and they are very popular with their latest hit song Man in Love. It wasn’t their usual image, but it was something new and she enjoyed the song. After the whole incident, she was ordered to build another #910328.

 

JiSun punched in the generating code after much pain and tears of going through the same process, the new #910328 was up and running. *Everything is the same, but this one didn’t have the same vibe as him.* She gathered her wits and put on a weak smile. “Hello #910328, you are a part of Woollim Entertainments new project for the perfect boyband. Your name will be Hoya and here is your background information,” JiSun handed him a slip of paper with what used to be his background information. “So would you like to walk around the city to test you out?”

“No,” Hoya straightforwardly stated. “If you don’t mind, I would like to start on this project as soon as possible, since it is mentioned that the debut performance is next Thursday. Thank you very much,” with that he got up and left. JiSun’s shoulders deflated, *I should have known it wouldn’t work with this Hoya.* She got up and followed him in order to introduce this ‘new and improved’ version of #910328.

 

JiSun sat in her new office in Beijing and reminisced her times with him. She glanced over at the note that he had left for her that was now framed on her desk, next to it there was a piece of scrap paper taped onto the side.

 

“What is love? Is it redo-able?”

 

JiSun remembered when she didn’t know how to respond to it when he had asked her. Today, she finally came up with a good answer; she quickly grabbed her pen and jot down her answer on the piece of paper. When she finished, she taped it right below the question.

 

Love is the yearn to be with that special someone. You always want to be with them and can’t go a day without them. When you’re in love, you want to show that person your sincere affection and devotion. Love can make you do anything and sacrifice what will be better in the end. Is it redo-able? Of course not, if it was, why would we love in the first place? If you find love, don’t let it go because it will be hard to find again.

 

She sat back and looked at it. After almost four years, she was able to answer that question. She smiled softly and whispered. “Happy Birthday Lee HoWon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE:

Hi Guyyyys!

I hope you guys liked it :D

Sorry if it didn't end the way you guys wanted it to ><

But I had lots of fun writing this and you guys should go check out the contest too

Timeless -- An Infinite Writing Contest

There are a lot of amazing writer's entering and they have awesome one-shots!

Thanks again for reading!

SUBSCRIBE :D/COMMENT <3/ SHARE ^^