Chasing Time with a Thousand Dreams

Why are we going camping in Autumn? I whined in my head as I lugged my fully stuffed holdall out of the car and onto the muddy dirt. I’m not a clean freak or some frilly princess but I do not do camping in colder temperatures.

I sighed as my Mum ushered me to get out of the way for my Dad to drag the tent out of the back of the car. Not knowing what else to do, I looked around at our surroundings.  Leaves were falling all over the place, to the point that the ground was all sorts of browns, it was quite a pretty sight. The trees looked bare as they shed their layers, ready for next year and their branches created a mesmerising silhouetted pattern on the ground from the sun shining through.

I was bought out of my short revere when my Dad called me over to help set up the four person tent we had bought last year, although it had never been used as of yet. It took us about an hour to set it up as none of us had a clue about what we were doing and I was actually starting to worry that, at this rate, we wouldn’t last the whole three day weekend. Nevertheless, we finally managed to pitch it after realising that my little brother, Aron, had run off with one of the pegs that held it up. Needless to say we were not happy – and it was only the start of the weekend. Great.

The afternoon passed slowly and, after what seemed like forever, darkness started to settle in. I had just retrieved my fur hooded coat from the tent when my Aron called me.

“Yah~ noona~” He sung teasingly. Oh how I wanted to punch him in his annoying twelve year old face.

“What do you want?” I replied tiredly. He grinned mischievously as he walked closer to the entrance of the deeper parts of the forest.

“I bet you can’t catch me~” He said, getting even closer to the first tree. This brat. I thought, I was too tired and cold to play his games tonight.

“Yah! Come on, it’s time for bed. Come back.” Even in the campfire light I could see the annoying smirk stretch across his face before he turned  and took off running into the forest. I groaned in annoyance and followed him. He may be annoying but he is still my little brother after all.

The light faded the deeper as I ran, and soon enough I had lost sight of him completely... I couldn’t even hear him. I came to a halt and the sound of twigs crunching under my converses stopped. Now the only thing I could hear was the sound of my deep breathing as I listened for any sign of him nearby.

I became frustrated as I heard nothing and violently ruffled my now messy hair. Why does he pick now to run off!? Why couldn’t he have at least done this during the day light, ugh.

“Yah! Kwak Youngmin! This isn’t funny!” I shouted angrily, hoping to scare him into running back. No response. I huffed and carried on walking forward aimlessly. After a few minutes I stopped to listen again, and this time, I wasn’t left with silence.

My head snapped round and I held my breath as the sound of twigs snapping filled my ears from behind. There was nothing there, which put me on high alert of my surroundings. Turning my whole body around, I scanned the area for a sign of a person or animal, but of course it was futile due to the dark.

“A-Aron, is that you? This isn’t funny.” I said unsure, hoping that it was simply my brother playing a trick on me. But when there was no response I got even more uncomfortable. More twigs snapping around me caused me to stumble backwards, and soon it was getting closer until -

So, how is it so far? Please let me know~ ^^