Crush

The Vampire Diaries of Kim Heechul

I woke up at five in the morning. Don't even ask me why. It was really, really irritating. Especially after I fell asleep so late, because of stupid Hankyung.

Not really sure what to do, I went back on the internet, updating my blog and twitter, writing vague lyrics on Facebook, and hoping nobody realized what they went. Then I pulled out my guitar, and went outside, playing songs that seemed pretty applicable.

I was about three minutes into Teardrops On My Guitar, when I slapped myself in the face.

"Heechul, what the heck are you doing?! Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift. Come on. Have some self respect." I grumbled, putting my guitar back in its case, and glaring at it. "This is all your fault, you know."

"What is?" Hankyung walked in, dressed in a tank top and sweats.

"Nothing." I huffed, pulling out bananas, blueberries, orange juice, honey, and vanilla, and mixing them in the blender for my breakfast. Hankyung shrugged, pulling out some eggs, leftover rice and pork, and some seasoning, frying it up in the wok.

As we were eating, I looked over at it. "That looks good."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, it is. Do you want some?" Hankyung offered, but I shook my head.

"Can't. I'm a vampire, remember? Maybe if I drank your blood, though…"

"Huh?"

"Oh, didn't you know? When I drink someone's blood, it tastes like whatever they ate last. I don't drink from anything but blood bags often, but sometimes, if I'm really curious to how something tastes, I'll have a little nibble."

Well that sounds creepy.

"Whatever. You don't know me." I pouted, downing my smoothie. "Why are you even up so early, anyways? There's still like an hour before school starts."

I was having a hard time sleeping, wondering where you'd gone…then I heard you play, and knew I was going to be up for the rest of the day. He just shrugged, not giving me a verbal answer.

Well, if he wasn't going to talk to me, I wasn't going to talk to him. I put all my dishes in the sink, going back to the computer.

Actually…there was probably advice on the internet. Stuff I could use so I didn't find myself singing any awful Taylor Swift songs again. Blech. No. Definitely not happening.

Ways to make the guy you like fall in love with you. I typed in the search bar, and began filtering through results.

Well, most of them were stupid ("Be your best self." Was the advice of one website. Like, uhh…I'm always my best self. I'm Kim Heechul.) But by the time I got off, I had something of a plan worked out in my mind.

Step one was effective immediately. Perpetuate the rumor that we're together. So, when I saw that he was wearing a white v-neck T-shirt and black jeans, I scoured through my clothing so that I could find the perfect white T-shirt and black jeans to match.

Step two was to look as cute and y as possible, which was easy, because I already have my face going for me. But today, I put a little eyeliner on, and plucked my eyebrows, straightening my hair until it looked perfect. I accessorized my outfit with some neat necklaces I'd found at some fair a couple years ago, and some braided bracelets that had been gifts from innocent little Donghae when he went through his friendship bracelet phase. I slipped into some boots, admiring myself in the mirror. Yes. I looked hot. Way hotter than any girl Hankyung might be interested, and that was what mattered.

Step three went into effect when I saw Hankyung walk down the hallway towards me, keys in hand.

"Yo Touch Man!" I shouted, throwing my hand at him for a high five.

"Uhh…" I grabbed his hand, doing something that looked like a complicated handshake, but was really just me sliding my hand back and forth over his, until it finally rested in a way that we were holding hands.

"Let's go!" I now adopted a fake, screechy rocker voice as I waved him into the car, still holding his hand, pulling him along.

Be Cute, the website had told me. So that's what I was going to do.

 

"Heechul. What are you even doing?" I paused in the pose, arms in stiff 90 degree angles, like an Egyptian dance. I looked over a Yunho, who was looking at me like I'd gone crazy.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I shot back, pulling my arms back down to my sides. This cute thing really wasn't working out for me. I was just too naturally manly and cool for this to look anything but unnatural.

"I don't know. I literally have no words that could describe your strange dancing, and that worries me, because it means that you've probably finally gone off the deep end."

"Shut up, Yunho. I'm being cute."

"No, you're not. I've seen you be cute, and this just looks like…I don’t even know. It makes me wonder why we ever became friends in the first place."

"It's because I'm gorgeous, witty, and perfect." I answered, grinning, and giving him my classic v-sign, the blowing a kiss at him.

"There. That was cute. Not the Egyptian thing." He said, looking over at Donghae for conformation.

"Yeah, hyung, you should just act like you normally do." Donghae agreed.

"Who are you trying to look cute for, anyways?" Sohee asked, walking up to us. "Hankyung?"

"No!" I protested. "Hankyung isn't even around, anyways." I sighed. "He said something about me being on crack and left."

"Does he even know the word for crack?" Yunho asked, grinning.

"I don't know." I looked around. "Where are Kyuhyun and Sungmin?"

"Oh, that. Funniest thing ever. Baby Kyu got an in-school suspension. He had a freak out and threw a desk. Nobody really knows why. Sungmin said he saw him on the phone before he went crazy, so he thinks He might've gotten dumped or something."

"Haha. No, it was just me." I laughed, feeling good about myself.

"Why am I not surprised. What did you tell him?" He asked, shooting me a withering look.

"It's a secret." I said, grinning and putting a finger to my lips.

"Oh, yeah, Heechul. I saw your Facebook post this morning. Finally realized you're in love with Hankyung?" Sohee grinned at me, and I blushed, waving my hands frantically.

"NO! No. It was just a song I heard. Not anything meaningful at all. Just some song." I protested, but Sohee just smirked.

"My heart is wrapped in clover, the night I looked at you. Really, who else would it be about? Also, I saw you two together today. Matching outfits means you're together.""

"No, it doesn't. Look, Jaejoong's wearing a white T-shirt, too. Does that mean he's going out with us, or something? No."

"Fine, fine. I admit it." Sohee shrugged, then grinned evilly. "If, that is, Hankyung doesn't magically show up after this."

"After what?" I asked, and then suddenly, she was kissing my cheek.

"Wha—what was that for?" I asked, but I wasn't even done my sentence, before Hankyung was there, picking me up and pulling me away from Sohee, finally setting me on his lap a couple seats away.

"Ooookay. You're so not together." Sohee rolled her eyes.

"Come on, Sohee. If they say they're not together, they're not together. Don't push it." Yunho said. "Heechul, sit back in your seat." His hands gripped the table.

"Okay." I felt a little disappointed, but I really didn't want to make my feelings for Hankyung too obvious, so I sat back down across from Yunho.

"Hey, guys." Jaejoong sat down with us in a flurry of movement. "So, you know I'm on yearbook, right?" He asked. He looked worried and stressed, his hair unkempt and cheeks pink.

"Yeah. What happened?" Yunho asked

"Your girlfriend happened." He shot back, looking miserable. "We gave her one job. Just one. Come up with the questions to ask the seniors, so we have interesting little quotes in the books. You know, like what their favorite super hero is."

"Okay, so what did she do?" I asked, curious.

"All of her questions are ual, and anytime we try to convince her to change it, she throws a huge hissy fit!" Jaejoong buried his face in his hands. "I have tried. So. Hard. To get her to agree to change even one of the questions, but no. She starts screaming and wailing that we think she's not good enough, and she might as well quit, and that we don't understand how hard she worked to come up with the questions."

"Well, what are the questions?" Sohee asked. "Maybe they're not so bad."

"No, they are. Number one. What color underwear do you where. Would you be comfortable having that in the yearbook? Even asking it is awkward."

"Well, maybe she's trying ot be funny, or something." I tried.

"No, it's not funny. How would you feel if you were asked that? Heechul, what color underwear do you wear?"  Somehow, though, after he asked it, the table got quiet, as if waiting for my response.

I blushed. "Whatever. Just—black or something. Geez."

Hankyung looked miffed. "Liar." He accused, pointing a finger at me. "You wear pink. Hello Kitty pink. I saw."

If I was blushing before, now I was a furnace. The entire table went completely silent, staring at the two of us, and I realized that I hadn't told anyone that Hankyung and I were living together.

"Hankyung….you…" Sohee started. "How do you know what color underwear Heechul wears?"

"Huh? He show me." Hankyung answered with a shrug. "It hot, he say."

"OMO!!!! I didn't think---Heechul!!! Why didn't you tell me you'd gotten that far?! Aren't we friends? Don't I deserve to know?" Sohee squealed.

"No, that's not it! We never—"

"What wrong?" Hankyung asked, clueless.

"You two are sleeping together!" Sohee smiled. Jaejoong blushed, but grinned.

"Wow, Congratulations." He said. Yunho was turning weird colors, and Donghae looked a little betrayed.

"Why didn't you tell me? I thought we were friends." He pouted, looking away.

"We are not sleeping together!" I protested, trying to shut everyone up so I could explain.

"What? But we are." Hankyung said, and that was all it took for the table to descend into chaos. I looked at him, not knowing why he would claim such a thing, before I heard his thoughts. Why is he so ashamed that we sleep in the same room? Why doesn't he want people to know?

I slammed my head down on the table, giving up.

It turns out I had gym with Kibum, which I hadn’t known earlier because I skip gym class like it's my job. I was not a fan of sweating. Not by half.

But today started our ping pong unit, so I figured I could make an appearance.

Kibum and I paired up, talking throughout the game.

"So how's Siwon?" I asked, serving the ball.

"He's okay, everything considering. He had a slight concussion, and some broken ribs. Your boyfriend has issues."

"Not my boyfriend." I said.

"Okay. Hey, there's a rumor that you two are sleeping together. Is it true?" He asked.

"No. My family is his host family, that's all." I paused. "But you were right, I admit it. I do like him."

"Told you so."

"Shut up. I didn't think I liked guys."

"Please. You're like the most stereotypical gay guy I know." Kibum snorted, and I made a point to aim the ping pong ball at his face. "Ow."

"Serves you right, and I am not. I'm like the paragon of manliness."

Kibum just laughed, assuming I was joking. "Oh yeah, Siwon was actually really nice. You'd think he would be overbearing and jerkish, but he was a surprisingly good listener."

"Oh, really?" I waggled my eyebrows at him, grinning.

"Don't think anything of it. It was just surprising. He really doesn't look like the type, but it was like…how do I describe it?"

"Just talk, and eventually your point will make sense. That's what I do."

"That makes so much sense. But, hmm…You know…a lot of people just kind of talk over me. They think that just because I'm quiet, I don't have anything to say, which is really irritating. Everybody at church is like that, which is really annoying, because it's almost like they go out of their way to talk over me. So I was thinking Siwon would be like that. But he's…anytime I talk, he gets this look on his face that says that no matter what I say, it will be the most interesting thing in the world to him." Kibum held the ping pong ball in his hand, thinking. "I like that."

"Oh." I answered, because there really wasn't much more to say to that.

 

                Walking out of the school doors, I was accosted by Kyuhyun. He  greeted my with a kick to the shins.

                "Ow." I said, rubbing the wound. "What was that for? No, wait, don't answer that."

                "No, you know what? I will. Look at what I got in the mail yesterday." He threw a letter at me, but letters don't really work as a thing to be thrown dramatically. It got caught by the wind and fluttered to the floor. I glared at him, picking it up.

                "Welcome to—I really can't pronounce that. But they sent you a letter?"

                "They did! So now you've gotten me involved in this, and I want out!" Kyuhyun "I'm an honor student! I don't want to have to deal with monsters! And psycho killer agencies! And anything else you have up your sleeve!"

                "Look, I'm not, like, in charge of the Whatever they're called. If they sent you a letter, it's not my fault."

                "Yes! It is! Because you're the one that made me look them up in the first place! And now they found out, and are sending me a letter!"

                "No, look, Kyuhyun. The nerds got a letter without looking up the monster hunting thing. It's just because they were smart, or something. I'm sure it's just bad timing. Anyways, so who are you going to side with?"

                "Well, not the nerd squad, that's for sure. Look, I'm a middle schooler in high school. There's enough stuff to get bullied about without dressing like a retard."

                "Oh, cool, so are you on my team, then?" I asked excitedly. "This is kind of cool!"

                "I'm not a monster, though. Can't I just be on my own team? A normal people team?" Kyuhyun looked too exhausted to think.

                "If you wanted to be a tool. Come on, Baby kyu. Live a little. Anyways, the monster team isn't even doing anything right now. So there's no harm in joining us."

                "What? Why aren't you doing anything?"

                "Because we're high schoolers, and have lives outside of monster stuff? " I offered. "Look, I've been living like a normal person since I was born. I'm pretty much the same as you, here. I don't know what to do if there are monster hunters after me." I ran my hand through my hair. "Ask Sohee about that. She's the one that knows stuff."

                "I do not." Sohee fell in step next to us, bringing Hankyung with her. "All I know is that my family was running from them my whole life."

                "Well, then ask Hankyung. He's the one that was one of them for like, a billion years." I settled on him, finally.

                Sohee stilled completely. "What did you say?"

                "Hankyung. Was one of the monster hunters. For a while. Did we all not know this, already?" I paused. "And I'm a vampire. How many people knew that, again?"

                "Heechul! You little—you can't not tell me this stuff!" She spun around to Hankyung, grabbing the collar of his shirt.

                "Who are you, really? Why are you here?" Hankyung just stared at her with a bored look on his face.

                "I am not—"

                "Shut up. You might be able to fool your girlfriend, but you can't fool me! I've been running my whole life from the Jjokthaiceowhih, so I know them! They're liars, and murderers, and-and—We're not going to trust you!"

                "Sohee, wait. Calm down." He said, looking hurt by her words. How many innocent people like Sohee did I kill? He wondered. How many lives did I ruin in the name of an organization I didn't care to research enough?

                "Calm down? Calm down?!" Sohee glared back at me. "There is a member of the Jjokthaiceowhih in our midst, Heechul, and you want me to be calm?!"

                "Calm down Sohee! I know Hankyung isn't with them anymore for a fact, so you can just…"

                "You don't know! You don't know!  How can you possibly—"

                "Because Hankyung is a dragon, Sohee!"  I shouted, and she completely froze.

                So did Alvin, who'd been walking up behind me.