Chapter 1

Was & Then: A History

A/N: Listening to “Not Over You – Gavin DeGraw”

 

SLAP!

Changmin felt the burn of the slap. I guess I’m not as numb as I thought.

Changmin knows it’s gonna leave a mark later on. He wants to touch his cheek but he thinks it would make him look pathetic. More pathetic than he does right now.

 “You should stop acting like a jerk Max. Even with that pretty face of yours, if you have such a rotten attitude, you’re nothing but a scum. Go to hell, Max!”

Max. Changmin wanted to scream at her. I’m not Max. I’m Changmin. I am HIS Changmin. I don’t know Max. I am Changmin. I.. was Changmin. And with that thought Changmin cried the tears that he thought would only come out at night.

Changmin took a deep breath and willed his tears to stop. He then noticed people staring at him. They probably think I’m crying because of her. How erroneous of them to make such an assumption. I will never cry because of her. Or because of anyone else for that matter. He’s  the only exception. I did, I still do, and I will cry for him and for him alone.

              “Minnie, look!”

              And Changmin felt the tugging of the hem of his shirt just so he could turn around and stare at whatever the owner of those words wanted him to see. Changmin tried to pry the tugging fingers but the other’s grip on him was so strong.

              “Alright, Kyuhyun. I’ll take a look at it. Just stop tugging my shirt. It’s a gift from my mother.”

              “Yeah right! I know you bought that at the thrift store down the street. I know for a  fact thatyour mother dooes not have such terrible taste!”

              Changmin turned his head and was about to retort something to the implied insult.

              “Are you...”

              Kyuhyun kisses him on the cheek and cheekily smiles at him.

              “Ssh! Look, the sun’s setting. Isn’t it a sight to behold?

              Changmin turned his head to watch the setting of the sun  and smiled. ‘Your smile is definitely more worthy of such praise Kyuhyun’, he thinks as he turns to watch Kyuhyun’s face elate with the view in front of him.

              And as if knowing what he was thinking of, Kyuhyun turns to him, smiles, and blushes.

              “Yah! Stop staring at me!”

              “I’m sorry to say this but I wasn’t looking at you. I was looking at the lake behind you. You assume too much. There’s not much to look at when it comes to you anyway!”

              “Respect your elders. And FYI, by saying there’s not much of me to look at means you looked at me to know such a thing.”

              And Changmin smirks at the retort ‘Here we goo.’, he thinks.

              “It’s hard not to see you when your BIG HEAD is blocking the view that I truly wanted to stare at. Long and hard.”

              “SHIM CHANGMIN! You should be thankful for my big head filled with knowledge that helps you solve your problems and actually have a life unlike your PUNY HEAD filled with nothing but unnecessary air. Hollow-brained kid!”

              “Stop calling me a kid when you’re just a few months older than me. And considering how you claim to be the elder between us, you seem to be lacking in the height department compared to me, Kyuhyun HYUNG.”

              “Don’t provoke me, pea-brain.”

              And Changmin wanted to laugh at the barely concealed annoyance on the other’s face.

Changmin hears the familiar ringtone of his phone and he takes it out to see his bestfriend Kibum calling him. He hesitates but decides to pick up the phone. He’ll just keep on calling till Changmin answers him anyway.

“Where are you?”

Changmin was barely used to the lack of a ‘Hello’ and if he were his usual self, he wouldn’t have let it passed. But the thing is, he isn’t his usual self right now.

“I’m somewhere. And at the same time I’m nowehere.”

“I don’t have the time to play games with you Shim. You need to be here right now. Jaejoong’s worried sick looking for you and Yunho's pissed cause you wouldn’t answer any of his text messages or phone calls.”

“I was busy when he was calling.”, Changmin says with a shrug.

“Look Changmin. I know you’re hurt. We all are Changmin. He is my friend too. But you’ve got to live Changmin. You know he would not want this.”

And Changmin suddenly felt angry and before he could control himself he spat, “Who are you to say what he would want and would not want, Kibum?”

“I knew him before you did Changmin. I introduced him to you. You don’t have the right to act like only you should know anything about him. You weren't the only person in his life.”, Kibum replied with barely concealed hurt and anger in his voice.

“Look. When you stop becoming such an and a bastard, do come home.”

And with those words, Kibum ended his call to Changmin.

Changmin buried his face in his hands.

“What am I supposed to do Kyuhyun-ah? I feel so lost. Come back please.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKAY. UMM. I'll try to change it next time.