Second Chapter

Royal Legend

 

 

April 21
The feast of the red moon
Castle of Ice, Vintur, Zima

Minseok stared at the holy beast staring at him with its majestic blue orbs ordering him of the necessary actions he must take. His eyes trailed to the floating casket of ice trapping the figure of a woman, a woman he loved dearly. His hands shivered as he placed his palms on the cold crystal. Tears slowly escaped from his eyes tainting his pale face with its streaks. The tigress whined as she stood beside the throne watching the Holy King sobbing weakly. 

"The time has come, Zania. It is nothing but our fate" Minseok's words echoed softly travelling at the four corners of the room. His tears became frozen crystals as it disintegrates into the wind. The weak and fragile king gone to be replaced by the cold wise one. The tiger elegantly marched towards him before purring softly to comfort the broken soul. "Let us go" The king clenched his fist tightly breaking snow drop candy into tiny pieces. "Ready yourself, Tao"

"I have been waiting for so long, royal brother" the voice answered before the rays of light entered the room. The silent strides have not passed his senses. He closed his eyes as he produced a scepter of ice on his hands. Zania glowed in white transforming into a ball of blueish white light levitating towards the scepter which then became adorned with gold markings and beautiful white diamonds. Hazel eyes became alertly golden as the Holy King awake himself from his slumber. Xiumin is back on business. 

Legionaire Royal, Vintur, Zima
The ninth hour

Kyungsoo ignored the annoying presence sitting on the couch in front of him and continued with his paperworks. The Great Duke of Fae had somehow convinced the High Priest to let himself inside the military grounds of Zima when the duke was a noble of some country that may pose some threat to their own. Furthermore, he loathe the presence. He was tricked by the duke into believing that he was some kind of helpless tourist and had him walked around the capital for almost two hours which could have been used for a well deserved sleep. Most insulting of all, the duke dared to steal a peck on his cheeks after the commotion at the royal grounds last night saying it was some kind of right since they shared the same color of snow drop candy equating to them being soulmates. Bullcrap. Glancing at the grandfather clock, Kyungsoo tidied his desk as he readied himself for the arrival of his student. Thinking back, the third prince may have been the indirect cause of the irritating situation. If not for him giving him the candies and dumping all those works on him, he may have not worked overtime causing him to meet the freakishly dumb duke. Chen kicked the door open exactly when the clock stikes thirty minutes after nine raising a brow from the duke and earning a sigh from the general. 

"Master, the great me had come!" The lightning manipulator chirped before his eyes trailed to dark-skinned male sitting comfortably on the couch. He raised his brows and pointed rudely at the teleporter. "Who you?" The duke frowned at the attitude but remained sensible with his actions. This, afterall, is not his country. 

"I am Kim Jongin. Kai of Fae" The commander recalled the name as it sounds vaguely familiar. He placed a thinking hand on his chin before a memory clicked inside his brain. He beamed at the guest in recognition. 

"AH! You're the Great Duke guarding the South borders of Fae. Nice to meet you, I am Kim Jongdae, Chen of Zima and Third Holy prince. Cool, right?" Jongin smirked at the prince and took his extended hand and formally greeted the royalty which earned a chuckle. "No, no, speak freely. I hate stiff formalities the most though D.O is a er of it" The youngest prince pointed at the frowning general with his thumb leisurely while the teleporter replied with a nod. 

"Who's this friend you were talking about anyways?" 

"Kibum. I think he's called Key in your country" Jongin nodded in recognition. Yes, he knows the duke pretty well. Key of the East, Kai of the south, Sulli of the North, and Donghae of the West, the four great dukes of Fae. Of course, he'll recognize them. Especially the Duke of the Greenbreaths who he grew up with. That man is an impossible creature with his personality. "Good going with having your life attach" Chen smirked knowingly.

"I think so too" Jongin chucked shuddering at the memories of his childhood. Kyungsoo watched at them frowning. He had expected Chen to kick the duke out after hearing that he is a Faerian but no, instead he became chummy with the annoying teleporter instead. "So, what brought you here anyways?"

"It sounds quite weird hearing that from you" The commander spun his heels to receive the deadliest glare from the general. He shivered. He don't really want to deal with a grumpy Kyungsoo. He chuckled nervously scartching the back of his head. "Is there any problem, master?"

"No" came the irritated reply which made Chen even more nervous. No one is sane enough to deal with the general when he's in a bad mood. 

"Well, I have some work to attend to so maybe our lessons can resume tomorrow?" Without even hearing a reply, Jongdae bolted towards the door as fast as lightning leaving the two gentlemen on their own devices. Kyungsoo cast a glare at the duke who winked at him before he resumed his paperworks.

Tribune of Winter
Castle of Snow, Vintur, Zima
Thirteenth Hour

The young Kris of Rubius stared at the sculpture of the founding royals made of ice. It was different from those made of alloys displayed on the Shrine of Summer. The First Holy Queen sat next to the King of Haeferst who was leaning to the Prince of Fae while the Emperor of Rubius stared at the queen. It was a group statue representing the old bond of the four nations. Four. Not three. Yifan observed the statue of the King of the legendary kingdom of Haeferst. Even he himself is doubtful of the existence since he only heard of it from his father. 

"The four of them seems so close, right?" a cold husky voice questioned before the same man who attaked him last night stood right next to him. He glanced at the King's personal bodyguard who had his gaze fixed on the ice sculpture. "What do you think, your highness?" There was a hidden mockery on his voice. 

"I'm not interested on the figures of the past" Kris retraced his gaze back to the sculpture followed by soft sigh escaping his mouth. 

"I see. You are truly detestable, aren't you?" There was a long pause. The young emperor of Rubius is used to the being the target of hatred because of his position but it was his first time hearing it so bluntly and yet he don't feel any anger instead there was only surprise. "Just like him" The emperor traced the direction of the pointing finger and found himself staring at his ancestor. "It must have run in the blood. The blood of traitors." The young emperor snapped at the statement and quickly turned to his side only to found it empty. "Will you also murder us the same way, Yifan Wu?" the voice trailed. Yifan growled as he watched the sculptures closer and found the inscriptions next to the king of Haeferst. It was relatively new. Murdered by Rubius Wu.

 Dining Hall 
Castle of Snow,Vintur, Zima
Twentieth Hour

The dinner was silent but enjoyable. Suho stared at the new formed friendship between the duke of Fae and his younger brother and the prince of Fae who joined in their little circle moments ago. The emperor of Rubius was eating wordlessly while his loyal aides engaged in a world of their own. The door opened suddenly catching the attention of everyone in the room. The servants greeted them with a curtsy before the a castle soldier announced the arrival of the king. Suho watched his brother enter the area in his white royal garments. Not the garments of ritual. Tao protectively walked behind him glaring at the emperor who returned it with same intensity. The young tria-general marched immediately soon after. The king took his seat at the furthest side of the table, the seat of the leader. Tao stood next to him while the general took the empty place next to the tall general of Rubius. 

"Your holy majesty" Chen and Suho stood up and curtsied before taking their seat back. Xiumin eyed the guests and then the food. "Is the feast not to your liking, great brother?" Suho inquired which the king answered by shaking his head curtly. 

"This is well, Suho. Tao, take a seat and join us" Tao bowed respectfully before taking the seat next to Chen facing Kris. Xiumin stared at the young Faerian general who copied the Zimalian greetings and bowed to the king. "Please join us too, young general of Fae" The Holy King glanced at the Great prince for approval. "Would that be alright, Great prince of Fae?" Lu Han choked at the attention. He immediately gulped the glass of cold water  and nodded. 

"Yes, he can. Call me Lu Han, by the way" Lu Han smiled at the king who nodded gently at him. The young prince frowned at the lack of response. He eyed his pink haired guard and motioned him to take a seat which the sprite general complied. Sehun took the space next to Baekhyun facing D.O. The hall became awkwardly silent and only the clatters of tablewares were heard. Xiumin wiped his mouth after eating and glanced at the young emperor. 

"I heard from Suho of your proposal, Emperor of Rubius. Am I free to talk in front of these gentlemen?" Kris nodded softly. He had no choice whatsoever. And the people inside are prominent enough for the talk. Xiumin nodded. "Zima refuse to join Feya alliance" Kris winced. Zima is just to stubborn. They kept on rejecting the proposal ever since it was brought up. "There is nothing that can change that"

"May we request for the reason why"

"The alliance is to big. Our nation values isolation and tradition. Even if we join the alliance we see no benefits from it even the proposed military and economical support does not entice us. Zima can stand proudly against its enemies."

"Then how about an alliance with Fae?" Lu Han intruded shocking all the people inside the room except the Holy King who smiled amusedly at him. 

"What difference does that make?" 

"You retain your isolation as Fae is a peace-loving country and you get to export your products at our country since Fae is the center of trade" Baekhyun smiled at the answer. He thought the prince exactly those words. He calculated the rejection and planted those thoughts to the mind of the young prince. The plan was fifty-fifty but at least it has some factors of success. He stared at the Xiumin of Zima who smirked at him knowingly. He knows of the plan. Fae is under great influence of Rubius so going into an alliance with them means a semi-alliance with Rubius. 

"That sounds enticing but how sure can we get that nations other than Fae won't interfere" Baekhyun clenched his fist at his defeat. He hadn't tasted defeat as clear as this. Lu Han tilted his head for an answer. 

"0%. I'm sure I'd let Kris handle those complicated matters anyway" Baekhyun was dumbfounded. The prince was way too honest with the answer. There was a long awkward pause before Xiumin burst into laughter earning a blush from the prince's. Lu Han watched the adorable laughing king admiring. 

"I see. So, I have to negotiate with the emperor of Rubius?" The right hand duke stared at the Holy King doubtfully. Xiumin turned his attention to the Brain Duke of Rubius before to the Emperor. "What do we get when we ally our nation with yours?" 

"Absolute assurance of your isolation and the same benefits proposed by the alliance. Furthermore, the alliance shall not have its rule applied to the nation and the pestering requests shall stop" The emperor answered immediately. Xiumin pondered at the choices while staring at the prince of Fae then to his brothers. Xiumin stared at the emperor with serious eyes of flashing gold which soon turned into gentle hazel. His aura also fluctuated from gentle to dominating then back to gentle along with his eyes. The Holy King was a mysterious persona and little are known about him and his bloodline. "Young prince of Fae, Zimal wishes to partake on that proposed alliance." Baekhyun stared at the king in disbelief. He reads his plans, denies it, gives hope to another plan, but then went with his first plan. "Of course, this means Rubius is an ally too but this is with Fae as a bridge. They have no direct rights and rules whatsoever in this country. Would that suffice?"

"Of course" The blonde prince smiled cheerfully flashing a victory sign at Baekhyun who rolled his eyes. Kris remained silent and observing the whole of the time. Suho and Chen stared at their brother in surprise. Tao shrugged while Kyungsoo was glaring at the flirting duke. 

"Then it is settled. Have a good night ahead everyone" Xiumin stood up and walked out of the room followed by his guard and the young general. As soon as the white door closes, Suho and Chen grinned at Lu Han. 

"You do realize that there is only one way for Zima to engage into an alliance with another nation" Suho stated making Lu Han glance at Baekhyun who smiled mischievously which his husband copied. Kris rolled his eyes at his brother's naiveness. 

"What is it?" Jongin and Sehun grinned at the nervous prince. 

"Marriage." Chen answered making Lu Han gape. His jaws dropped on the floor before he heard chuckles from the men inside the room. Even Kris was chuckling. Even his monotonic evil brother. "Congratulations Lu Han, Xi of Fae. You are now engaged to our Xiumin" 

"But its a He" 

"It's a normal occurence with the royals. The Third King of Faeherst married a Faerian duke, remember?" Chen covered his mouth at the slipped information. The men stared at him in question. Kris glared. Do they know of the lost history? Are they in some particular way connected to the legendary kingdom of Autumn? Suho glared at his brother and sighed. The idiot is a blabbermouth. 

"How do we continue the royal bloodline that case?" Luhan wondered making everyone stare at him silently. Chen grinned mischievously followed by his new trolling ally, Jongin. 

"That. Can be solved by a few medicines." Chanyeol perked up with Chen's answered receiving a elbow on his stomach courtesy of his love. Luhan nodded silently then blushed. 

"Wha-What? I was just curious" 

"Of course, Luhan, of course" Jongin teased setting Luhan's cheeks ablaze. Oh God no! Luhan buried his face on his palm. This ridiculously embarassing. 

Area of Prayers
Temple of Snow, Vintur, Zima
Twentyfirst hour

Kris for the second time strolled around the temple appreciating the architectural wonder when he found the Holy King sitting calmly at a large rock as if waiting for him. Gold eyes made Kris flinched in contact. The king was unapproachable and oozing with the air of authority as if he was someone different from the man who was on the dining area moments ago. He neared the Holy King of Zima cautiously. 

"Have you heard of the country of Haeferst?" Xiumin asked in a soft menacing voice. 

"The nation that disappeared in the maps after being defeated by the alliance. It is a common legend"

"What if it is not a legend? That Haeferst truly did exist and that it was sleeping. What would you, the leader of the alliance, do? And you, as the descendant of the man who betrayed them, do? Think about it, Yifan Wu. It may help you in the future" Xiumin stood up dusting some imaginary dust from his royal robes and started to walk away before he halted and spun his heels "Ferstian Huang. It is the name of the First King of Haeferst. You can let your duke rest now, he's been working since he arrived at Zima." the Zimalian king smiled vaguely as he resumed his way towards the castle of ice. He can't see him but Kris was sure that Tao was around. He can feel that deadly stare plastered on him. What kind of hatred does that guard bear anyway? Descendant of the murderer. The words pasted itself on Kris' mind making him change his direction to his bedroom. Ferstian Huang.The name chanted inside his mind. Murdered by Rubius Wu. It's something of the past. You have no connection to the events they did. Descendant. Murder. Ferstian Huang. Rubius Wu. Apparently, it matters. 

"Baekhyun, I need you to find something for me" The Duke groaned at the sudden interruption. Kris sighed at the scene he caught his royal aides into. Chanyeol was taking Baekhyun's clothes as they were engaged in a lip-lock. "Nevermind, it can wait for tomorrow" Chanyeol smiled approvingly. 

"Says he, Baekie" Kris closed the door and returned to his room. The mystery can wait a little bit longer. After those hormonal bastards continue their activity on the bed.