So Far so Good?

Virus Z

It was an almost unanimous decision, the exception being in the form of a grumbling Taecyeon who was still dead set against it. Professor Lee smiled, showing of his surprisingly white teeth for someone of his age.

"Now since that is settled, all that is left is for you to run off and find that control. Like all of the other groups that went before you, a car and a fair amount of supplies would be given to you. Due to our limitations though, we can only provide for you once. Any refills needed have to be obtain on your own." Taking a card from a stack of them on his desk, Professor Lee passed it to Soyou before continuing on. "If you have any more enquiries, you should be able to contact me using this number. I do hope you remember how to use a telephone right?"

"Yes, we do." Soyou replied. Unfortunately though, to find a working one in Korea at the moment is almost impossible, with most of the electricity cut down and telephone cables destroyed. She knew that, but kept the card anyway. Worst come to worst, it will make a reasonable knife to cut bread. Hopefully.

"Very well then. Goodbye." The others replied him respectfully, and as they made there way down (with Hyorin still greatly fascinated at the 4-sided golden box which could move up and down) and rode home in an extremely rare SUV, Soyou couldn't shake off that uneasy feeling that radiates from her innermost being. She wasn't sure if it was fear or dread for the upcoming mission, or queerer still, distrust. There was something about the professor that seemed off. It may be from the last words that he spoke. His goodbye. To her, it didn't feel like an act of farewell or separation.

It felt absolute, like she was never going to see him again.

 

It felt like a death greeting.

 


 

Hyorin had the exact same feeling, sometime within the dead of night, when Soyou was fast asleep. Slipping into her pink slippers, an uncommon find and found, she tiptoed out of her bed and went to the kitchen, getting herself a cup of water. With a warm mug on her hands and a few sips, Hyorin felt somewhat better, but not good enough to go back to sleep. So she decided to rest on the couch a while before heading back. Someone else, on the other hand, had other plans.

"Oppa." The word escapes her lips too soon, and the figure on the couch turned and glanced her way. 

"Rinnie." He replied, smiling.

Rinnie.

She frowned, barely aware of the mug that she was holding, which spilled a portion of its water onto the rug. How many times did she remind him not to say that out loud, in the house? How long must she remind him that they are around, that they are in public?

How long must she keep this a secret?

Realising his mistake, and the prominent darkening of her face, he mouthed a small 'opps' and said sorry right after. "I forgot."

Hyorin took a seat beside him, too tired and lost in her own thoughts to remind him again. She felt his arms around her waist and baby pink nightgown, strong steady arms and hands, holding a promise to protect her from the beginning to the end. She inched towards his warmth, and pressed her back against his chest, enjoying his embrace. Nothing beats a cuddle with your boyfriend, especially a hunky one.

"How in the world did you know I was awake?" She asked, placing the mug on the coffee table in order to snuggle closer to him.

"I didn't." Junho replied, resting his head against the nape of her neck. "I couldn't sleep either."

"Worried?"

"More than that." He begun trailing kisses along her neckline, as Hyorin played with his fingers. She felt bad. The stupid argument that arose yesterday left the two of them apart. In fact, this was the first time that they have spoken to each other since yesterday. She knew that he was worried, not just for the group, but mostly for her. He couldn't bear for her to get hurt as much as she did for him. Hyorin missed his touch, his scent, and being with him was so much more comforting than all the warm water she can drink.

"Sorry..." She said to him, barely a whisper.

"For what? Being my drop dead gorgeous girlfriend? Or being so dead set against me yesterday?" That called for a punch to his gut.

"The latter. I wasn't even sure if I had made the right decision then. It felt like the right thing then. Now, I'm not so sure." 

Junho parted her fringe and kissed the jagged line that runs across her tan forehead. "Remember when you were talking about the zombie-free world yesterday? To tell you the truth, I wanted that then as well. But the mission was extremely dangerous. I don't mind letting things say as they are. We can live comfortably together, do food assignments, maybe get married and have kids in the near future..." The last line was said with a hint of playfulness and joy in his voice. "... Still, we can do all that after the apocalypse. The reason why I choose to go with it at Medico was because I wanted to choose a future that is best for us." He stopped, bringing his lips against hers for a full seconds. "And I believe it was that one."

Tears burned her eyes as she drew him close to her, wrapping her arms around his neck and taking in deep breaths of his musky scent. Reassurance. Now she knew what she had wanted. She wanted to be assured of the days that were to come. As she crawled back under the folds of her blanket and pulled the covers up to her ears, sleep came easily. Hyorin never felt so peaceful. So calm.

 

So loved.

 


 

The car came around 8 in the morning, just as the men were working out and the women were still washing up. It was a seven seater, full of gas and black in colour, the colour that they knew draws the least attention from people and zombies alike. The back of the car was well stocked with food, medicine, a tent and some petrol. "It's a little extra that Dr. Lee decided to give you." Mr. Park told the crew, taking the petrol container out of the trunk. "He thought you might need more considering the distance you'll have to cover."

No kidding, Junsu thought to himself. The team will be travelling to Incheon, three hundred and thirty-five kilometres away from Busan, to Professor Kim's house.

This an option not considered by the other groups. Dr. Lee himself was shocked. Searching the house was the first thing they did when the apocalypse broke out. They didn't find the professor, nor the daughter, and especially the control. Anymore trips there would be futile. But Junsu wasn't convinced. A creation like Virus Z won't be something the professor would want to land in the wrong hands. It's his hunch, that the cure may still be in that house.

But he's missing the key.

Kim Dasom. His missing daughter. She must have a clue to where it is. If Junho had an alternate option, he would have went and find Dasom instead. Realistically, though, it would be a total waste of supplies, time, and manpower. In fact, if they are not able to find the control in the house even, they would not have enough supplies to even get back home.

Put it simply, this little road trip could eventually kill them.

"Hyung." A voice came out of nowhere, as he felt a hand on his shoulder. Wooyoung's. "You ready?" Only now did he realise that everyone were done packing and washing up, and were waiting for him. Just him.

"Almost." Walking up to their front door, he slipped a silver key that he took out of his pocket and turn it, locking the door, a door he wasn't sure he will come back too. Junsu gave himself the benefit to have one final look around. He took in the sight of the high security walls and the houses that had already lost their shade. He took in the smell of petrol and misery that always seem to linger around thier midst. He took in the sight of children playing on the street, tossing sticks and stones into a hole dug up from the brown earth. He took note of their hollow cheeks and dull eyes, and their skinny frames in need of food. He remembered being like them once. Hungry, and afraid. But he persevered, started 2pm and food assignments, helping the remaining dwindled population of Busan to last, even for just a few more days.

Like Hyorin, Junsu wanted reassurance, reassurance not only that everything was going to be okay, but also that they were doing the right thing. He found his reassurance in these kids. He knew that it was only by the combined effort of 2pm and many others, who like them put thier lives on the line, for the survival of these children, thier future. This mission wasn't going to just stop the spread, and give Nickhun his life back.

He is giving these kids a chance to have a new life, a life they have never experience before, since a world rampaging with zombies is their norm.

 

And for that, he's going to give it his all.

 


 

2pm did not expect this at all.

It was as if a 3 hour long, long drive wasn't good enough to exhaust both their energy and spirits. The only one who was still 'alive' was Hyorin, who volunteered to take the wheel since Junsu himself was beginning to doze off. Hyorin sang in an attempt to energise the crew, but whether it was her soothing husky voice, or the sheer fact that it was already noon, everyone fell fast asleep. Except Hyorin, of course.

Nobody had seen the figure that waited behind the huge tree by the side of the road, her fixed on the car as she drew back her arrow. Nobody had seen the arrow as it flew from her fingers, straight at the car moving at a speed of 70 kilometres per hour. Nobody had seen it pierce the front tire.

The effect was immediate.

The car spun, jolting the members out of their sleep sending them bumping against each other and the metal frame of the vehicle. Hyorin slammed on the brakes, hoping that she didn't just do something stupid. The resistance cause the car to stop spinning, but created enough momentum to have it tilting at a dangerous angle. Fortunately, it fell back to place.

"That," Hyorin huffed, wiping the cold sweat that broke out under her fringe, "was way too close!"

The crew stepped out of the car, while rubbing the bruises that were forming on thier skin, to examine the damage, finally noticing the arrow sticking out of the flattened tire. They didn't have much time to do anything about it though, as Hyorin, the most active one of the lot, suddenly collapsed.

Junsu ran quickly to her side, relieved to find her only sleeping, but why? The other began to knock out one by one, and he himself became unreasonably drowsy. That's when he smelled it, the faint scent of apricots, the slightest indication of its presence.

Shoot.

Junsu got up, unsteadily, onto his feet. He needed to get away, at least away from the gas. He could barely take a few steps when he came crashing to the ground. He inhaled too much, and his senses were shuttng down.

The last thing he saw was the black silhouettes of two figures approaching him before darkness consumed him.

 

Pain overwhelmed his senses as he regained his consciousness. He groaned as he shifted about from the floor,  the surprisingly smooth floor.

Only now did he realised his hands were tied behind his back.

Alerted by this sudden fact, he gave a quick scan of his surroundings. The rest of the members were still unconscious and sprawled out on the floor as well, thier hands bounded behind them with thick ropes.  They seemed to be in an enclosed room, a little rundown judging by the peeling paint on the walls, but still standing. Maybe it belong to an elderly couple long before the apocalypse. No use thinking about it now.

The thing that caught his attention the most was the girl who sat on the chair in front of him, wiping what seemed like blood off the tips of her collection of arrows. Her gaze soon met his.

"Hello," she spoke, clutching the red stained cloth tightly between her fingers.

 

"I see that you're awake now."