Prologue-Still waiting

Virus Z

"My gosh!" The professor screamed, retreating away from the rat cage. This wasn't what he had expected at all. The insides of the cage began to get coated with blood as the diseased rat, with it's fur a little green and it eyes glowing red, mercilessly tore away at the other normal rat, ripping it limb by limb. Thunder clapped as the lightening flashed, the constant pattering of rain against the window mixed with it.

Did something go wrong? He thought to himself. I'm sure that the formula was correct... Maybe I have to use it after all... I better call-

"Appa?" A young, frail girl walked into his room, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Is something wrong?" Her eyes widen in fear as she saw the rat cage. "Appa, what's happening to the rats?!"

"It's nothing, somie." He quickly took hold off her hand and led her out of the room. "Wait for me in your bedroom. I'll be there in a few minutes." He left the girl by herself and quickly ran back into the room, wondering what he should do. The vials had been sent off already. If they had already choose to use the vials... No! I can't let that happen! Or at least I should give them the control. But first, Dasom. He took out five syringes filled with a clear blue liquid, placing two into a small box and sealed it in with a key. Taking another syringe, he walked towards Dasom's room, where he told her to wait at. Dasom lay on her bed, smiling when she saw her dad. It soon fell as she saw the syringe.

"Another one?" She whined, looking unsteadily at the needle.

"Only one more Somie," He assured her, getting her to sit upright.

"But the green one was really painful."

"It's for you own good, Dasom." He took off the protective cover and stick the needle into her small arm. Dasom winced from the pain, the professor holding her steady to prevent the needle from breaking. He pushed the plunger, watching the blue liquid disappear under her pale white skin.

"Appa! Will this make me stronger too?" She asked innocently, looking at him with her large brown eyes. The professor suppressed the frown that almost form from the seemingly-harmless question.

"Not really, Dasom-ah. This will work with the green one."

"Oh." She watched her father put on a band aid onto her arm, happy at the hearts printed on it.

"Now Dasom, I need you to pack you're things. Go get your pink luggage bag in the closet and put in your clothes, along with you're toothbrush."

"Are we going somewhere, appa?"

"Yes, Dasom-ah."

"Okay." The professor left his daughter alone again and when back to his laboratory. The remaining two vials still sat on the table far away from the rat cage. He hid one safely in the lab, in case Dason ever needed another one, and put the last one into his black briefcase.

It was a painful decision, but he knew he had to do it.

 

 

"We're here." He told Dasom as he stopped the car beside a familiar house. The rain continued to beat down on the black vehicle.  He turned around to find the young one sleeping and clutching on to her tiny rabbit doll, no bigger than a A5 notebook, his gift for her during her fifth birthday this may. He thought it would be the perfect gift for her. Dasom has always been jumpy and hyper, even when she was so weak...

Tears silently flowed down his cheeks. All he wanted was to save her, but now she and the rest of the world may be in more danger than they could ever imagined. Taking the umbrella beside him, he got out of the car, opening the side door to pick her up. Dasom aroused at her father's touch, and while keeping her eyes shut instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck so that he could support her with one hand. They both went to the front porch, and rang the doorbell. The door opened, revealing a middle-aged woman in her nightgown. Her frown dropped when she saw who he was.

"Hello noona."

"Fancy see you here with Dasom at this hour, Hyun-ah." She replied, looking at her brother.

"It's a long story. Do you mind holding on to Dasom for a while? I need to get her things."

"What things?"

"I'll tell you later." He passed the tired girl to his sister, and went back into the rain to get her luggage. A few seconds later he returned into the house, carrying the luggage bag and the rabbit which Dasom had left in the car. He found the two of them in the living room sitting on the couch, along with another little girl beside them.

"Did I wake you up, Bora?" He smiled as he asked her. Bora shyly nodded back. "Sorry. Bora-ah, do you mind staying here with somie as I talk to your omma?" She nodded again, getting up from the couch and seated herself beside the still sleeping Dasom. He signalled his sister and they both went into the kitchen.

"Okay, now talk." His sistar told him, leaning against the wall. The professor sat on the dinner table before replying.

"I just need you to take care of her for a few days."

"Why so sudden?"

"It's very complicated. I need to leave quickly or something bad may happen. I promise that I will tell you everything once I return, okay?"

"But still..."

"Please noona. I know it's really sudden but it's for everyone's sake, especially Dasom's."

"... fine. But make sure you do come back."

"Thanks noona." She went off to take Dasom's things up to Bora's room. Hyunjung went back to the living room to find Dasom wide awake and looking at him sadly.

"Are you leaving without me?" She asked, on the verge of tears. Bora watched the two silently.

"It's only for a short while, Dasom-ah. You will stay with imo and unnie for now, okay?"

"You promise you will come back?"

"I promise."

She nodded, though he could see her being reluntant to let him leave. He took out a box and the rabbit out of his pockets and handed it to Dasom. Dasom smiled when she saw her small companion, but soon turned curious at the sight of the box. "What's that?"

"It's for you to keep. It may be important in the future."

"Oh." She fumbled with the box. "It's locked, but where's the key?"

"It's with you, like a piece of my heart that you have always treasured and keep. You will have to find it yourself." He placed his arms around Dasom and whispered into her ear, "Now listen carefully. The box contains something for imo and unnie. Don't ever lose it, okay? Always listen to imo and follow her instructions. Remember to eat your vegetables and to brush your teeth once in the morning and once a night." He give her a light squeeze. "And if you miss me, remember that I am always with you." He looked at her doll and continue. "Just look at Snowy if you ever miss me."

"Okay." She replied, tightly hugging both her appa and Snowy. She didn't utter a single word after that, even when he drove off with the car, as Bora held onto her protectively. Hyunjoong felt a little sad he wasn't able to hear her voice right before he left. He wanted to hear it for the last time.

Especially if he fails.

 

"Yeoboseyo?" He called, as he sped across the highway.

"Who is this?" A rather tired male voice replied.

"It's professor Kim Hyunjung."

"Professor Kim, you say. Fancy hearing from you at such a late hour."

"You need to listen to me." He gripped the wheel tighter. "You cannot use virus Z yet."

"Why not? The results have been proven spectacular! I can't see why you wound want to use it."

"What results... wait, you used it already?!"

"Of course, professor. This virus is a medical breakthrough. I can't just keep it to myself."

"But there are side effects!"

"What side effects?"

"Really deadly ones!"

"Oh please! Nobody has complained to use about any problems yet."

"You don't understand. This could affect the entire population of South Korea, or worse! I'm coming now with the control, so please restrain from using them until I pass it to you." He hanged up before he received the reply. He threw the phone onto the seat beside him and stepped harder on the accelerator. The car roared away on the road. He needed to pass it to the guy quickly, and maybe teach them the formula. Dasom's waiting for him.

In the rush he was in, he missed out a very crucial sharp right turn sign, obliviously passing it by. Before he could react, the car, while still at full speed, crashed into the metal railing and spun out of control. It rolled down the hillside it was on, landing on the grass upright in a giant wreak. He groaned, a tremendous pain covered his entire body. He felt something ooze from his head down to his mouth. The metallic taste and smell hit him hard. He tried looking for his phone but it got lost in the crash.

He knew that he was going to die.

He knew that he had failed.

He knew that the world will be in danger.

He sat still, knowing that death is at his doorstep, waiting for him to open the door. In his pain and failure, tears flowed down his cheeks, knowing that he broke his promise to Dasom.

"Mianhae Dasom-ah!" He cried before his strength left him and the world fades.

Appa can't go home anymore.

 

 

 

On the 15 of August, 1998, at 2am in the morning, my appa had left me with Bora unnie and imo. It's been 15 years since then. A lot has happen in this world. Bora unnie and I had manage to survive so far. If only you were here, appa, I'll feel safer.

I don't believe that you are dead, appa. People have been surviving all these years. I know that you are smart, or you couldn't have made that green liquid. I know that you wouldn't break your promise, appa. Maybe you're in a tight situation, and it'll take a while more for you to come back.

I am still waiting, appa.

Come home.