Medico

Virus Z

The man couldn't help but smirked at the shocked and confused faces of the crew. He felt better to finally have his professionalism and the upper-hand back. It took a while for someone to respond.

"You have got to be kidding me." Hyorin spoke, looking intensely at Mr. Park, still agape from the shock.

"I'm not. He really wants you guys to complete the mission." Mr. Park replied calmly. "He's even giving a big reward."

"No no no! This can't be." Wooyoung said, getting up from his seat. "Virus Z is the reason why those green monsters are roaming around outside in the first place!" he cried, pointing out of the window. "How in the world are we going to find a cure?!"

"Of course, my boss isn't one who just send amateurs without a plan. But this mission is highly confidential, therefore further explanation has to be carried out at headquarters." He got up from his seat and walked towards the door. "A car will come tomorrow morning to bring you guys to Seoul. I suggest that you guys have a good rest and be outside by eight. Goodnight." He left, leaving the people wondering what the heck had just happened.

 

"This is ridiculous! This guys just barged in, gave us an impossible mission, and then left without giving us details!" Taecyeon exclaimed, expressing himself greatly with big hand gestures. "And of all the people of South Korea, it had to be us!"

"Chill, Taecyeon." Soyou told him, getting up from the floor. "First of all, we're the ones who let him in in the first place. And secondly, this might not be such a bad idea."

"WHAT?!" All of 2pm cried, except Nichkhun, who was still seated on his chair and thinking silently.

"C'mon guys! Think about it. If we succeed, not only are we getting a reward, but we would never have to face another zombie again. The apocalypse will end! Don't you want that?" The members gave a careful thought to what Soyou had said.

"Well, she does have a point." Hyorin mumbled, avoiding eye contact with any of them in case someone glares at her. "It will be nice to see the streets zombie-free."

"But this mission is definitely going to be more difficult than any food assignments we had ever done over the years." Junho shouted, glaring at Hyorin as she had predicted. "We'll be risking it all by doing this! Maybe even our lives can be at stake!"

The members continued the argue for a few minutes, all stating his or her objections. "Hold it guys!" Soyou said, bring the arguments to a halt. "Aimless arguing would get us nowhere."

"What do you propose then?" Wooyoung asked, fixing his eyes on her.

"I say we take a vote. We'll follow what the majority decides to do. No objections."

"I'll vote to not do it!" Taecyeon shouted.

"I'll vote to do it." Hyorin commented after him. A few more votes later, the score was down to three votes for doing and four votes for not doing.

"Ha! We won." Taecyeon smirked, leaning cooly against the couch. "So we don't have to do it then."

"Wait..." Junsu shushed him, counting in his head. "There are only seven votes. One of us didn't vote."

"I haven't." Nichkhun reply, looking at the members with his clear eyes and poker face.

"Okay then." Chansung said. "Pick a side."

He turned around and faced the window. "I vote to do it."

 

"WHAT?!" was the reaction of all of 2pm again. The guys were shocked at Nichkhun's answer, for they had expected him to have choosen not to do it. It seemed legit, since he wasn't a guy who would put himself into danger easily. Soyou was ready to crush the last hopes of going but he changed everything.

"Look, let's just get that mission done and over with. Then we'll finally have a normal life." Soyou soon understood. He didn't just want a normal life.

He wanted his life back, the way it was 15 years ago.

Soyou knew that his wish would still be unachievable. It would take years for the world to piece itself back to its old form, and who knows if it is even possible. But if it meant that they might have a shot at this mission, she's willing to not look a gift horse in the mouth. "Well..." She said, looking back at the members with a little smirk. "It's four votes now."

"That means it's a tie." Wooyoung groaned.

"Thanks genius." Hyorin said sarcastically. "Like we couldn't tell."

"Anyways looks like we are back to square one." Soyou spoke. "I suggest that we just go to Medico first and get the details. I'm sure that we'll be able to bail out later on. Is that okay?" The members nodded their heads, all agreeing to the suggestion and being too tired to give a verbal reply. Nobody spoke a word about it after that conversation, and just continued to do their own activities like it never happened, even after dinner. Soyou sighed as she lay on her bed beside Hyorin's, dressed in her clean and blood-free pajamas, thinking of everything that happened before dinner, till the stillness of the night lulled her to sleep.

 


 

"What was that word I'm looking for?" Soyou mumbled to herself, stepping out of the car. She glanced at her members, whom was just as wide-eyed as her. She bit her lip, still trying to find the word. In the end, Soyou sighed, deciding not to show her amazement at all verbally.

In simpler terms, the building was HUGE.

It stood majestically infront of them, with the top piercing the deep blue sky, and the windows reflecting its surrondings. From the looks of it, the skyscraper was most likely eighty stories tall. For the members, this was probably not the first time seeing such a tall building. But when you're in the middle of an apocalypse, sight-seeing is the last thing in your mind. Before long, skyscrapers became a thing of the past. Only those fortunate enough to be living in Seoul are able to see it.

After all, it's the last proper one.

 

"Are you sure we are allowed in?" Hyorin asked the two guards standing infront of the entrance. She had never seen a skyscraper in her life, making her feel intimidated by its strong presence. When one of the guards gave a nod, the crew went in together, stepping in slowly as if they were going onto sacred ground. Even the interior decorating was more than decent, its marbled floor and high ceiling, with no signs of peeling paint or cracks anywhere. The people were dressed in either suits or lab coats, including the women. Junsu walked up to a lady sitting behind a counter, who was typing away at what he believed to be a computer. He believed that she was the receptionist, according to the stories that the old ones would tell.

"Erm... Ms. Tiffany?" He said, looking at her name tag.

The woman looked up at him and smiled, her eyes showing a deep curve. "How may I help you sir?"

"My crew was given a mission and came here for more details."

"You guys are 2pm, right?"

"That's right."

"Please proceed to the top floor." Tiffany replied, looking back at the computer. "You'll receive further instructions there."

"Understood. Do you happen to know where the nearest staircase is?" Tiffany let out a chuckle upon hearing that.

"The stairs?! This building is seventy-five storeys tall! You'll die even before reaching the top." She looked at him again in amusement. "I suggest that you take the elevator instead."

"The what?" Tiffany pointed over to a group of people who were entering what he presumed was an elevator, a large box with two doors that open sideways from a push of a button. "You have never been on an escalator before, haven't you?"

"Nope..." Junsu turned a little red in embarrassment. He had seen elevators before, but due to electricity limitations they were never in operation. They would all just take the stairs, even upto as high as the thirtieth floor.

"Don't worry, it's easy." Tiffany assured him. "Just pressed the button with an up arrow beside the doors to bring the elevator to the ground floor, which is here. Then pressed the button with the number 75 inside of the elevator. When the doors open again, you guys will be on the top floor. Got it?"

"Yes. Thank you again." He said politely, earning another bright smile from Tiffany before she went back to work. walking back to the members right after to inform them of what he was instructed to do. Most of them got excited on the mention of an elevator, being people who had never ridden one before either.

 

Junsu brought them towards the two gold painted doors, pressing the button like what Tiffany had told him earlier. Some gasped when the doors opened, showing a small room that was also golden, with one side of the walls being made out of glass. When everyone was inside, he pressed another button, causing the doors to shut tight again. Suddenly, he felt a force sending him upwards. It was almost as if he was flying. Hyorin cried out in excitement and pointed at the scenery outside of the glass wall, which showed the earth becoming further from them and the sky becoming closer.

Soon, the lift came to a halt, and the door parted to show a big, well furnished room with a black marbled floor. There was a small wooden rectangular table with a jug of orange-coloured liquid and some cups. The table was surrounded by two spacious white couches with red cushions. At the end of the room, a man was sitting behind a sturdy desk and was busy writing on some pieces of paper. He looked up and smiled when saw the young adults.

"Ah, 2pm. It's a pleasure to have you here." He said, getting up from his seat. "Come in. Don't be shy." The members entered timidly, taking a seat on the couches where the man was already sitting at and beckoning them to do the same. He took a glass and poured in the sweet smelling liquid. "Help yourself to some punch as well." He said, taking a sip from his cup. He looked like a man in his fifties, a few strands of white hair showing from his scalp. His has an average build, not showing a sign of a pot belly, but at the same time not muscular or skinny either.

"Pardon me for asking, but who are you?" Soyou asked, not moving from her seat.

"Oh my, looks like I forgot to introduce myself." He smiled, placing the glass on the table. "I am Dr. Lee Jin Ho, president of this medical company." He smirk a little at the people who just stared at him.

"Welcome to Medico."