four

like a fire
"Soo, you've been staring at that girl for like thirty seconds now. You know her?" Yoona waved her hand in front of the tall brunette's face, earning no response until the teacher called her name.
 
"Miss Yoona, I've been instructed by your former Calculus teacher that you should sit in front because you've been having trouble. Pleas switch seats with Yongjoo." 
 
"Does he have to let everyone know I in math?" She rolled her eyes, Sooyoung giving her an apologetic look as she rose from her seat and switched with the other new student. The girl paid no attention to her new seatmate, fully focused on her cell phone in her lap. She glanced over at the other, her eyebrows raised in surprise as she dropped the phone into her bag.
 
"S-Sooyoung?" She stammered.
 
"Nicole, right?" The girl nodded wearily. "Thought so."
 
"Listen, I-"
 
"Pay attention, you two." The teacher rapped his knuckles against the board, forcing them to stop speaking until the end of class.
 
"So what have you been up to ever since you tried to my boyfriend's face off?" Sooyoung crossed her arms, confronting the shorter girl as the class filed out. 
 
"Um, I'm not into Key. Never was, I was only doing it because you're the Donghae left me for." She shrugged, stepping out into the hall.
 
"Excuse me?" The tall brunette snapped, her eyes widening in shock.
 
"It's the truth, then again. Eunhyuk said you couldn't handle the truth."
 
"Okay what is your problem?" Sooyoung's infamous habit of raising her voice began to draw everyone's attention towards them, the crowds of people falling silent at the sight. "I never did anything to you."
 
"Have I ever told you about the little crush I had on Key after Donghae and I broke up? Yeah, being the spiteful you are you took him away from me, too. That boy can do a lot better than you, sad to say he doesn't realize it."
 
"I didn't know you did, moron. Not my fault you're slow as hell." She scoffed, the sound of a slap echoing through the hall right after. Pressing a palm to her cheek and not wincing at all from the pain, she instinctively shoved the other girl and she fell to the ground, sending her a glare as she did. She shot up and pushed her into the lockers nearby, the crowd around them dispersing at the sound of an older voice.
 
"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?" The voice bellowed, making the passers-by run off in fear. Principal Jungsik came between the two girls and broke them apart. He gave each of them stern glares, their eyes focused on each other's with a burning hate. "I will not tolerate this behavior at this school. I want each of you in classrooms 8A and 8B for detention. I will ask students will supervise you both until 5 this afternoon."
 
With that he walked off and the two did the same without another word.
 
- - - - - - -
 
Lunchtime arrived quickly, the group at their usual table. All were there except Sooyoung, who had kept a low profile ever since the incident. 
 
"Where's Soo?" Taemin tilted his head, absentmindedly feeding a fry to Yoona. 
 
"Apparently she got into a fight with Nicole earlier today." Minho informed them, concern written all over their faces. Jessica spotted her best friend at the cafe doors, waving her hands to get the younger girl's attention and lowering them when she noticed she had left.
 
"Sooyoung never leaves the cafe after coming in. She's one of the first people here." Jonghyun pointed out, noticing the disappointment on his girlfriend's face.
 
"Key, do you know what's going on?" Onew turned to the only silent one who nodded slowly.
 
"Just give her a minute to cool off, I know." He mumbled, looking down at his food that was untouched at the moment. At that point the tall brunette returned, ignoring the rest of them and finding a seat at a table in a far-off corner. They all realized she must've been sent back to the cafe considering the incident from that morning and the teachers would have made it clear that she stay in an area with everyone else. Nicole was with her usual group of friends, side glancing at them every so often.
 
"Lemme see what happened." Jessica rose from her seat, ignoring the pleas of the others to hang back and making her way to the younger girl. She looked up at her arrival, rolling her eyes and looking back down to play with her hands.
 
"Nothing happened," she muttered.
 
"I haven't even said anything yet, Soo. But now that you mention it, care to explain?"
 
"No."
 
"C'mon, just tell me what happened."
 
"No."
 
Jessica groaned in protest and threw her hands in the air out of defeat, storming back to her seat at the other table. "She's not budging." Suddenly, a thought struck her and she turned to the only person who would've been able to get her to talk. "Key, just try to talk to her."
 
"Me?" He lifted his eyes to meet hers and they all greeted him with an encouraging nod. Sighing, he pushed his chair back and got up, focused on the tall brunette who was paying no attention to them.
 
"Alright babe, lemme hear it." Sooyoung's head snapped up at that voice, rolling her eyes and reluctantly pointing to the seat across from her which he gladly took.
 
"Nicole's a ," she grumbled.
 
"What'd she do to you? And why are you stooping to her level to argue like this?"
 
"She called me a spiteful and said you deserve better, so what if she's right?" 
 
"She's not right and you know that yourself. Forget about her, she's not going to do anything to you. Fighting isn't going to solve anything."
 
"You're one to talk."
 
"Huh?"
 
"Your fight with Hyuk during winter break?" 
 
"He was a psycho."
 
"And Nicole isn't?"
 
"Okay, okay. Do you have detention?" Key sighed.
 
"Mmhmm. Till 5."
 
"I can get Mr. Park to let me supervise you and I can...straighten you out..." He winked at her and she giggled, shaking her head. "Hey, I got you to smile. That's a start. Now stop being a downer and come back to the party." Taking her hand, he led her to their table, patting the empty space next to him which she took without complaint.
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Hey, Taeyeon?" Key drummed his fingers on his desk, glancing at the older girl and the only one of his friends in his Biology class. She looked up from her notes, nodding at him.
 
"What's up?"
 
"I uh, have to do some pieces for the school's fundraiser, right...but um, I wanted to make something for Soo...should I draw this?" He slid his phone across his lap and into her palm. The sight made her squeal happily; the couple sat on one of the park benches, Sooyoung with a frown as Key tried to kiss her cheek. The selfie made her laugh to herself, thinking it summed up their relationship well. She handed the phone back to him, a grin plastered on her face.
 
"She'll love it!"
 
"Alright," he smiled thankfully, turning to the back of his book to start sketching. 
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Miss Choi, do you understand your behavior was unacceptable this morning?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Yes what?"
 
"Yes sir."
 
"You will remain here until five when I will return. A student will come supervise. Understood?"
 
"Yes sir." 
 
The tall brunette watched angrily as the teacher stepped out, giving way to the last person she wanted to see.
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Miss Jung, I will be back within an hour or so. Until then, please remain here and respect the student that I send."
 
She rolled her eyes, nodding as the woman went out the door. Stretching into her bag for her phone she glanced up at the sound of footsteps and squinted in confusion.
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Seriously?"
 
"I asked Uncle Jungsik to let me supervise you." Eunhyuk gave her a creepy smile, taking a seat at the teacher's desk and folding his hands. "Miss me?"
 
"Um, no."
 
"You should've." He smirked, quickly replacing it with a sheepish expression. "Listen, Soo."
 
"What?"
 
"I'm sorry for the way I acted. It was really inappropriate, and I think that I can't apologize enough for you to forgive me."
 
His reply shocked the female of the two who propped her chin in her hands and stared at him, still not fully convinced. "Really now?"
 
"I'm serious. Plus I miss having you around, not to...be so aggressive with, but as a friend." Eunhyuk was sincerely honest at that point, not so regretful for anything he did to Key but to her especially.
 
"I guess..." she trailed off, shrugging her shoulders.
 
"How are you and Key doing anyways?"
 
"We're okay...how are you and Nicole?"
 
"I'm not with Nicole, you know."
 
"Oh?"
 
"She still likes Donghae and...sort of, uh-" He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.
 
"Key? I know."
 
"Well, yeah."
 
- - - - - - -
 
"What are you supposed to be? A skeleton? Halloween's over, doll." Nicole sneered at the thin girl in front of her, recognizing her as Im Yoona, one of Sooyoung's friends and eye candy of the majority of the school population.
 
She shook her head at the younger girl, dropping into the teacher's seat. "I'd rather be a skeleton then be mistaken for an oompah loompah, doll," she retorted, leaning back in her chair.
 
"Now I get why you and Sooyoung are friends, you're both airheads."
 
"What did you call me?" Yoona glared at her, sitting upright.
 
"Airhead," Nicole repeated, slower this time. "Was I too fast for you?"
 
"Okay, listen you-"
 
"Yoona, Tae's looking for you and I-Nicole?" Key stormed into the classroom with a notebook in hand, skidding to a stop when he noticed the other girl. An awkward tension hung in the air until Yoona spoke, capturing his attention again.
 
"Um, what'd Taemin want? And where is he at right now?"
 
"Something about asking you something? I dunno. And he's at the gym with Minho and Jonghyun."
 
"Oh man, but Mrs. Cho asked me to hold on here for her until she got back."
 
"Go ahead, I'll take over for you and say you were busy if she does. Loverboy's waiting!" He ruffled her hair, making her laugh as he nudged her out of the door. His joyful expression immediately sobered and he took a seat at the teacher's desk, cracking open his book and tapping his lip with the end of his pencil in thought.
 
"Are you just going to sit there? Hello?"
 
"I don't talk to people low like you, Nicole."
 
"You are now." She smiled smugly, rising from her own desk to move to his side. The male of the two realized exactly what she was doing and groaned, closing the book shut. "What? I just wanted to see what it was."
 
"Listen, Nicole. I'm not too into this whole confusion thing you and Eunhyuk are getting me and Sooyoung into, so cut it out. Seriously." 
 
"What are you talking about? I was just messing around with Hyuk to get back at Sooyoung for the Donghae thing. I never liked you, I'm not that dumb." She snickered, patting his shoulder and leaving him dumbfounded. He shook his head, returning to his drawing in silence as she stepped aside.
 
- - - - - - -
 
It was nearly 4:45 when Yoona ran into the room, startling the two who had remained silent throughout the time that passed.
 
"Key, I'm so so sorry," she rambled out apologies as she leaned over his side. "Taemin was just messing around and then he took me to get coffee and-"
 
"Messing around, huh?" The male of the three gave her a sly smile and earned a smack on his arm. "Kidding! It's alright, I was working on this." A bit hesitantly he opened the picture on his phone and turned the page to face her.
 
"Is it for Soo?" The female of the two gasped, her eyes lighting up excitedly. "It's so nice! She'll love it, trust me."
 
"Taeng said so, too. I hope she does..."
 
"Heck yeah, she will! Now lemme do the job I was supposed to do for the past few hours. Get going!" She mocked his action from earlier and pushed him along with his stuff out of the classroom. He laughed to himself, actually a bit confident in the quality of his drawing. He didn't plan to sell it, but he wanted to give it to her considering her birthday was in a few weeks. 
 
Realizing there were only about ten minutes until detention was over, he decided to wait for his girlfriend and show her the drawing so far.
 
- - - - - - - 
 
"Well, it's almost 5." Sooyoung pushed back her chair, taking her bag with her as she strode to the front. Eunhyuk looked up, a small, distant smile lingering on his face as he stood up as well. He leaned against the edge of the desk, glancing over at her.
 
"I guess you'll be heading home with Key, right?"
 
"Yeah. You live right next door anyways."
 
"Speaking of which." Turning to face her, he continued. "Do you want to get a ride with me instead? I don't think Key would mind if I just took you home."
 
"But...I could just call him to come get me, I mean he's probably home by now so I can-"
 
"Do you really want to inconvenience him like that? If you get a ride with me I doubt it'll be a big deal, Soo." He chuckled, already taking his car keys out. Sooyoung shifted awkwardly on her heels, a pout on her face as she let out a soft sigh.
 
"I guess, let's just hurry and go." She pushed past him and opened the door, wincing when she realized she hit someone. With wide eyes she mumbled apologies only to be surprised by who it was. "I'm so sorry, I-Key?"
 
"Hey." He smiled at her before throwing a hateful glare in Eunhyuk's direction. The older male backed up a bit, his expression blank as he looked on at the couple. "Why are you here?"
 
"I had to supervise detention," he replied bluntly.
 
"Why are you here?" The female of the three inquired curiously.
 
"Yoona was supervising Nicole, but Taemin wanted to meet her so she asked me to cover for her," he explained. "Now can we go home?" He tugged a bit on her arm, ignoring the stare of the other as he pulled her away.
 
"Eunhyuk? Really?" Key grumbled as he stormed through the school's lobby and made his way to the car with the tall brunette in tow. She stumbled behind him, hastily falling into the passenger's seat as she looked at him silently. 
 
"He was going to bring me home had you not come along."
 
"WHAT?"
 
"I probably shouldn't have said that."
 
"You trust him to just bring you home?" He scoffed, finding his way onto the road quickly. 
 
"He apologized and stuff when he was supervising me. And he also mentioned that Nicole still likes you."
 
"She said she never liked me?"
 
"She told me herself she did!"
 
"Those two are so ed up, what the heck." Key shook his head.
 
By the time the two were home, Sooyoung dashed into the shower before changing into warm pajamas, curling up on the couch with one of the books she had been reading. Key followed suit, taking a seat in the rocking chair his grandmother used to use that was across from it with a notebook and his phone. It was his math book, acting as a decoy to him working on the drawing. He'd decided to make it a surprise for her birthday when the fundraiser was scheduled to be. 
 
The female of the two was thoroughly immersed in her book, paying no attention to him as he flipped to the page where he had been drawing sketches. Looking down at his phone he suddenly felt tired with it and preferred working on it the nexy day he got a chance and instead turned to a fresh page, making light pencil marks as he looked up at the tall brunette.
 
He began sketching aimlessly; the way her legs were hidden away under the thick wool blanket, her long brunette locks cascading and falling perfectly over her shoulders, her concentrated expression as her thin fingers clutched onto the sides of the book. Within no more than an hour he had made a rough sketch of her and smiled down at it, admiring silently until she interrupted him.
 
"Why are you smiling to yourself like an idiot?"
 
"Huh?" He looked up and laughed sheepishly, shaking his head. "Ah, nothing."
 
Suddenly the doorbell rang and they both perked up, wondering just who it could be. Sooyoung rose when she saw the other was obviously not planning to get up and tugged on the door's handle, her cheerful expression becoming full of worry when she saw the older woman standing in front of her.
 
"Mom?"
 
Hearing the female of the two mutter out the name, Key sighed and ran his hands through his hair in frustration, grumbling to himself yet again.
 
"We can never get a break, can we..."
 
{ A/N } I haven't updated in forever, have I? I'm really really really sorry!! I've been so busy with school and winter break is here, so I put out a few new stories plus the entry for the Sooyoung-oneshot collection...I also sort of might have had a bit of writer's block for a while...heheh...well, here is an update, so happy reading!! Also, subscribe to the oneshot if you please!! It'll increase my chances of winning, and be sure to look at the other entries!! :)