♔ — the ones who matter

♔ — THE UPPER SIDE
CROWNED
No victory lasts forever. The war can be started again by those who seek victory.

erratic punk

Name:  Lee Changshin

D.O.B:  070189
Age:  25
Ethnicity:  Korean
Gender/ual orientation: male, biual

Social class:  management succession - heir

Family: Lee Yong, Song Yujin, Lee Jongsuk, Nam Goongmin

With mafia for ancestors, Lee Changshin — more commonly known as Lee Chang, because yes the implication of having to measure up to a god does bother him, and very much so — is absolutely heedless towards the fact that not only the entire South Korea is watching him, but a majority of the world too.  He is, after all, set to inherit the Yong Shin Group, a conglomerate which dominates the construction scene, and counts globally-acclaimed Blueprint Architects, Shin Research Hospital and Hermes Medical Institute under their name, among many other accolades.  Besides, there is still public speculation that YS-group has yet to wash their hands clean of the underworld scene.  They aren't too far from the truth.

Perhaps the kkangpae blood in the Lee family has yet to run thin in Chang's veins, for he behaves in the wild, impulsive manner befitting them, freefalling unhindered into dangerous antics for the adrenaline rush he is so addicted to.  He is scarred, damaged by his sensitivity.  He is the preserved protagonist with brooding eyes described in a million different ways, belonging on yellowed paper in a quiet novel discovered serendipitiously in old bookstores.  He isn't meant to be sullied by greed and betrayals.

But that is not the heir his father, Lee Yong, wants.  The ruthless emperor of his modern empire of trillions in USD is determined to sculpt his out of control son into the ideal cold-blooded businessman, and circumstances may just turn in his favour.

The irony is, life has no worth. We breathe, we live; we cease, we die.
‘Meaning’? It’s just an excuse.

   

two faced queen bee

Name:  Ahn Sayoung

D.O.B:  180891
Age:  23
Ethnicity:  Korean
Gender/ual orientation: female, heteroual

Social class:  stock inheritance

Family: Ahn Chin Ho, Kim Hei Ryung, Ahn Hyunsoo

They say that behind every pretty face is a story waiting to be told.  The story behind the pretty face of Ahn Sayoung is neither pretty nor suitable to be told.  No one, you see, wants to hear the painful truth, that often the evil stepmother is not necessarily the stepmother at all.  The daughter of Ahn's Computers & Electronics' current CEO is far from a stranger to that fact, learning it firsthand.  She has scars people do not perceive, criss-crossing her heart until it has become nothing except a lump of hurt that wants to make others feel the same pain she does.

Although Sayoung has no real interest in the family business and is merely concerned about maintaining her luxurious, meandering lifestyle, she resents that she has been relegated to a menial decorative role in the Ahn household while ACE is set to pass down to her older brother, Hyunsoo — because despite her outward indifference, she aches to prove her worth beyond her looks.  It isn't as though she ever had much confidence in being a flower vase, anyway.

Some would consider her a victim of an unfortunate environment.  Others will argue that she is responsible for the person she becomes, and spare no pity towards her.  But the last thing Sayoung wants from society is pity.  She has had enough of that from the childhood she would prefer not to remember.  All she asks for is just one person to understand and accept who she is, beneath that femme fatale façade.

The only thing I'm good at is being pretty.
What makes you think I'll let you take that away from me?

   

insufferable playboy

Name:  Weng Kwon

D.O.B:  141086
Age:  28
Ethnicity:  Chinese-Korean
Gender/ual orientation: male, biual

Social class:  management succession - heir

Family: Weng Jonathan, Nam Chaerom, Weng Jaesun

Capable and charming are two words that accurately encapsulate the next-in-line to Weng Corporation, and nobody would expect any less from the second son who unexpectedly had the spotlight upon him after his older brother Jaesun, passed away.  Weng Kwon sometimes wonders what his fate would have been like if the situation had not taken such a sharp turn, but his pragmatism leaves little room for the could haves, preferring instead to focus on the present — that is, managing the Korean branch of Weng Co.  Strangers to him find it jarring that Kwon, with his assertive alpha personality, submits so dutifully to his lot in life; they do not know half the story.

Because looking deeper, beyond his arrogance and his flaws, Kwon is more complicated than he seems to be to the people he keeps on the outside of his wall of defence.  He may be an immoral bastard that makes forgetting he is human easy and condemning him effortless, however for those judging him, remember: he is as lost as you are, and he desperately seeks to find his way home, to a place he can belong.  Examining him closely, Kwon's only fault is that he was born into the wrong family, to parents who have always held him at a low value in comparison to their beloved, intended successor.

To prove that he is not just one son too many and worthy of inheriting a top chaebol group in travel and entertainment, Kwon is determined to surpass the level of achievement Jaesun would have attained.  And you should know:  What Weng Kwon wants, Weng Kwon gets.

At least I don't pretend I'm not the ing bastard that I am.
You try saying that.  It'd just be an obvious lie.

   

princess perfection

Name:  Song Sena

D.O.B:  030791
Age:  23
Ethnicity:  Korean
Gender/ual orientation: female, heteroual

Social class:  management succession - heiress

Family: Song Kwang Ryul, Lee Mi Sun, Lee Hyunwoo

The legitimate next-in-line to Samsung Electronics has not had as smooth-sailing a life as most are inclined to believe.  The people who tell Song Sena that she must have been born under a lucky star to be the only child?  They can take their envy and sink it in the ocean, because this heiress does not walk on a gold-paved path, has not since certain complications showed up at the Song's doorstep.  It isn't in her power to do anything about them though, so Sena continues doing what she does best — being a thorough perfectionist and excelling in her appointment as Chairman of Samsung.  Striding forward with unrivalled persistance, one must understand, is her coping mechanism mainly because for her, failure is not an option.

Always left behind and abandoned, Sena nevertheless maintains a hopeful heart that patiently waits.  Call her naïve, call her idealistic — don't be fooled; she has seen the ugliness of reality, has been there before, to that dark place where no light enters, and she has no intention of going back.  She would much rather choose to be an optimistic fool.

What with trying to come to terms with her dysfunctional family and the impending arranged marriage, the future doesn't exactly look very bright for a girl who asks for little except some sort of order in her haphazard existence.  Then again, a life lacking obstacles is hardly a life worth living, just as a story without conflict is not much of a story.  Perhaps the storm in Sena's today is in preparation for the blue skies tomorrow.

If it's possible for one person to be hurt by another,
then it's possible for that person to be healed by another.

 

kim woobin / 25

Set to inherit his parents' successful security business Yosae is chaebol son Kim Hyun-joong, who changed his name to Woobin once he had the legal right to, in order to spite his godfather Lee Yong. Strangely enough (or perhaps not so), he is the almost best friend of his godfather's son, Lee Changshin. In fact, he is Chang's self-appointed guardian angel, defying the traditional concept of blood being thicker than water. But to everyone else, Kim Woobin is certainly far from an angel with his tendencies and offensive mouth.  Unless you want your life to become a misery, it is advisable to avoid him.

tiffany hwang / 24

With a natural flair for business operations and socializing, the public sees Tiffany as that efficient, independent woman indispensable to a successful husband. She has her head screwed on tight for sure, and that analytical mind she possesses is a rare gem. Able to manage her emotions well, Tiffany proves she is not just a pretty face by never failing to impress.  More important than her status as Lee Changshin's official fiancée, the heiress to the internationally-acclaimed Paradigm Resort is Chang's refuge and a pillar of strength that never fails him.

lee jongsuk / 23

Second in line to the YS-group empire is the youngest son of Lee Yong and brother to Chang.  Cut out in every way to suit the world of the upper class, Jongsuk is nevertheless dismissed too easily by his tyrant of a father in favour of the eldest child and rightful inheritor.  He doesn't resent that in the least though.  With his unassuming demeanor, Jongsuk is happy to lay back and relax in the comfortable position of receiving substantial allowances without doing much outside of charming potential partners.  Being charming is what he does best and on a daily basis, anyway.

jung hoseok / 23

Though they don't know it themselves, Jung Hoseok and Weng Kwon are rivals in adding notches to their respective bedposts, for the younger man has already gained, in addition to his acknowledged flair at innovation, a certain notoriety for one-night stands.  That does not stop him from engaging in a... very open relationship with Ahn Sayoung though, one which both families approve of.  Hoseok may not have the brains to qualify him for the position of CEO, but between his creativity and his brother's skill in business management, running the family business well is hardly an issue.

kim myungsoo / 22

Although Californian-born Kim Myungsoo is stuck in a less-than-enviable job as Weng Co's heir's personal assistant, he isn't really in a position to complain, because he cannot deny that the salary is good, enough for him to pay off his business degree bank loans within a few years.  For someone of his average socio-economic class, in fact, it's a of luck to be grateful for.  All Myungsoo asks for is to be able to peacefully finish repaying his debts so that he can move on from this stepping stone to achieve his aspirations — but Weng Kwon is not about to let him have it easy.

kim hyojung / 27

Every inch the independent spitfire her Amazonian air betrays, the forgotten second daughter of Your MajesTea took the initiative to cut off dependent ties to her family as soon as she reached the legal age to start trading stocks.  Now, Kim Hyojung is known as a self-made woman holding a substantial number of stocks that are sufficient to get her on the Board of several MNCs.  With a no-bull attitude that Weng Kwon is helplessly drawn to, it is unavoidable that the chemistry between two attractive adults are sparked easily, but both are aware that their relationship is limited to the physical aspect.

Moon joon won / 26

As the only son and irrefutable heir to Shinhan Financial Group, Moon Joon Won was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and never appreciated his privileged lifestyle until his father decided that to spare the rod would be to spoil his precious child, promptly kicking him out of the house to fend for himself.  The harsh lesson worked.  Now the proudly proclaimed young master of SFG, Joon Won — better known as Joo Won, a name that rolls off smoothly which he adopted unofficially for the sake of the Caucasian partners and executives — has already built the foundations for a respectable reputation among the rich.

kwon yuri / 22

Currently learning the ins and outs of her mother's makeup company Royal & Regal in preparation of inheriting it is the beta to Sayoung's alpha.  Kwon Yuri's tough, y appearance does not lie, for that is exactly who she is, a typical product of wealth and influence.  Her level of malice, however, is on a whole new level far above her close friend's; maybe that is the result of being a spoiled brat raised as the apple of her mother's eye.  That difference between the two does not stop them from sharing an inexplicable connection in a friendship that people see as bizarre.

bang sungjoon / 26

Disowned by his multi-millionaire parents of The Earl Antiques, Bang Sungjoon was forced to face the harsh reality of the commoners' world at a young age.  His experiences have since shaped him from the angry and selfish teenager he was to become Kwon's one constant, the only person the Weng heir can truly bare his soul to.

He can usually be found bartending at the Brer Rabbit bar when he is not occupied by his passion of writing.

insert image

cho han / 21

Compared to most of the management succession group, Cho Han is of considerably newer money; jolbu, as they say — not that he finds any shame in that status because it is far more honorable than coming from ill-begotten money.  He may still just be a college student, but Han is already preparing to defend his inheritance of CJ Group from the outside threat known as Song Joongki, with a little help from self-proclaimed bodyguard Park Hyungsik and his father's steadfast secretary Choi Jinhyuk.  Though he may retain a childlike innocence with a perpetual smile, no one is ever too young to be thrown into high society.