Chapter 20

Forbidden

 

  "What do you mean? What's a Human Alteration Device?" Seunghyun asked quietly, his voice was almost drowned out by the roar of the wind which was getting louder by the minute.
 
  Youngbae nodded his head towards the direction of Jiyong, who had took a spot beside the wall, eyeing them silently, his hair messed up by the winter chill. 
 
  "It's a device that's implanted manually into human's brain. It gives the implanter an advantage of adjusting anything; or worst, everything of that person. But mostly, it is able to give that person extraordinary sharpness and strength that he or she never possessed before." Youngbae paused, "Jiyong was implanted with it." 
 
  Seunghyun turned sharply to Jiyong, his heart pounding madly. The last thing he wanted was for Seul to become someone like Jiyong. 
 
  "Yeah, I'm a man-made assassin." Jiyong said coldly, as if it was something Seunghyun had always wanted him to confess. "That's why I could never be the top. Because you're a natural trained." 
 
  "The device is why Jiyong could carry out his mission so.." Youngbae struggled to find the right words. Jiyong was staring. "Effectively. He wouldn't feel much emotions."
 
  For the first time, Seunghyun had felt a drop of pity for his colleague. He had thought of him as a child killer for the past months, but he never knew that he was probably forced onto an operating theatre, implanted by a device that turned him into a monster; a robot by his own father. Because of that device, Jiyong couldn't even feel much, he don't even have the chance to blame his father because his mind is almost locked up. He couldn't feel sorry; nor regret. The only limited emotions he had was spent on his only friend, Youngbae. 
 
  "Shall I tell you what's worst?" Jiyong added, and Seunghyun held down his anger towards Jiyong's insensitivity at the moment, blaming it on that darned device instead. "My device was only activated for 70%. Mind you, at 70% my skills aren't much worst than yours. My father had ordered for that little girl's to be 100% activated. You have met your match." Jiyong sneered.
 
  "Shut the up." Seunghyun snarled, advancing towards the cackling Jiyong but Youngbae held him back.
 
  "This isn't the time to worry about this. Kwon Sung Jung had.. created the.. the.. the new Yoon Seul to teach you a lesson for betraying The Corp. Don't toss yourself into their trap." 
 
  "You think she will attack me?" Seunghyun said, "I'm her.." He paused, feeling a little surge of warmth course through him as he said it; even though the feeling was absurd at the time. "boyfriend." He ended.
 
  Jiyong kicked himself off the wall. He had stopped smiling, his face all serious. "She wouldn't remember anything." 
 
  Seunghyun blinked at him, his lips parting in shock. She wouldn't even remember him? Her family? He swallowed, clenching his fist which was starting to shake. How could they? How could they do this to her? To an innocent civilian? 
 
  "I don't care." Seunghyun wasn't even sure if it was his voice speaking as he made his way forward numbly, pushing past Youngbae, who shouted behind him.
 
  "They're turning her into a monster like us, Choi Seunghyun. She's going to replace us three! If you can't stop her, you'll have to kill her!"
 
  Seunghyun ignored him, walking on motionlessly. How could he bear to shoot her again? No, that was out of the scenario. If he couldn't stop her that he would be killed by her. Yes, he should, Seunghyun thought, he had failed to protect her properly. 
 
  "I told you we shouldn't have helped him. That git wouldn't be grateful."
 
  "Let him be. He's in love with her."
 
  "As if that's gonna save her pretty head."
 
  "Just shut up, Jiyong."
 
  And he did. Jiyong and Youngbae stood in the wind, watching the back view of Seunghyun grew smaller and smaller, until Jiyong decided that its way too cold outside and Youngbae hasn't fully recovered yet, and left.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
  Yoon Seul's eyelids flew opened, and she took in a sharp intake of air, arching her back against the firm tabletop. She stared down at herself, surprising dry and her face blank. Covered in a stark white robe, she swung her feet off the table, her sharp eyes searching the unfamiliar environment. 
 
  Someone tapped her gently on the shoulder and she swung around, swift as a fox as she nabbed the man with a white coat, crushing his hands behind his back and grabbed a scalpel on the tray at the same time. 
 
  The president, standing silently outside the lab with yet another white-coated-man nodding in approval. 
 
  "Her skills are now extraordinary, sir." The professor bowed respectfully. "Never before had any of our test samples showed such swiftness and strength. I must say that the chip installment was a great success." 
 
  "It's not her actions I'm worried about." Kwon SungJung said coldly, never once sparing a look at his subordinate, "It's her mind."
 
  "In total control, sir."
 
  The president ignored him, his fingers tapping on the security tab, and the door clicked open. Stepping in, he stood, surveying the surrounding and ignoring the other professor who's grunting in pain.
 
  "Let him go." The president commanded, his chilly grey eyes fixed on Yoon Seul's now blue ones.
 
  The woman stared at the man, her eyes and expression blank as she tilted her head a little. After a tense moment, she pushed the professor off—using a little too much strength as he stumbled, crashing at the door. Yoon Seul, not tearing his eyes from the president, sunk into a deep bow.
 
  "Sir." Her voice was emotionless, almost robotic.
 
  Kwon SungJung nodded grimly, his eyes still ice cold. "Do you know who are you?"
 
  Yoon Seul blinked, or rather, she shut her eyes and opened it almost robotically. "Who am I..?" She spoke, her brows furrowing together for a moment before she shook her head slowly.
 
  The president almost smiled, his relief obvious. "Your name is Serene."   Kwon said, his voice smooth as cream. Passing over Yoon Seul murmuring her "name", he continued, whipping a few photos from the inside of his coat.
 
  "Do you recognize this person?" He asked, showing her a picture of a young boy with his fringe flattened under a red SnapBack. 
 
  Serene stared blankly at the piece of photo, then back to Kwon, her eyes motionless as she shrugged, pulling her white robe closer to her. 
 
  She had not recognize any of her family members and when Kwon finally pulled out a photo of the boy with dark eyes, chocolate brown hair and high cheekbones, she stared extra long at it. Kwon held his breath, waiting patiently-
 
  "No." Serene blink, eyes dull. Kwon gave a triumphant smile.
 
  "Your very first mission," he said, voice loud and solemn, swelling with importance. There was a brief flash of smirk across his face.
 
  "A 16 year old teenager girl had crossed our boarder. I want you to terminate her."