Chapter 21

Forbidden

 

  The young girl shuddered, glancing nervously at the snow storm outside the window as she swallowed, her breathing uneven and shallow. 
 
  "Fa..Father.. I think I saw someone outside.."
 
  The other man growled, looking in his thirties, his black hair messed up and dirty as he staggered around the filthy house, kicking aside the many alcohol bottles stowed around.
 
  "You blithering idiot." He cursed, spitting in the direction of the young girl, who flinched, her almond colored eyes filled with fear, "I wouldn't have married your mother if I'd known she had a stupid daughter like you. Look, you stay here, you pay for what you've done. You've crossed The Cooperation's barrier, they're hunting you down. Leave me alone, it's got nothing to do with me." He spat again.
 
 Her father ripped the cracking old wooden door open and the girl let out a small shriek and the man stumbled backwards, his face pale as the snow outside. There was another person outside. A woman.
 
  "Who.. who the hell are you?" The man stuttered, clutching his bag to his chest.
 
  "Serene," The woman said simply, a thin layer of snow has settled on her shoulder as she removed her hood to reveal her blonde hair and blue eyes. "The Cooperation." 
 
  This was when the drunk man saw the pistol held on her hand under her cloak. He sobered up at once, lips trembling. "It isn't me! It was her! It was her!" He screamed hysterically, his shaking finger pointing to the little girl huddled at the side. Serene turned her gaze to the shivering girl. "I aren't got nothing to do with her! We're not even blood related, I'm just her step-" 
 
  Serene hadn't heard him finish; her fingers calmly pulled at the trigger. There was a bang and the man slipped to the ground, his eyes dull and motionless. Stepping swiftly over the body, serene reached the young girl who was now sobbing hard into her fist, shaking worse than ever as her eyes are fixed, round and wide, on her now-dead step father. 
 
  Serene stared emotionlessly at her. The girl looks young, around 15 or 14. 
 
  "Why did you cross the fence?" Serene asked, her voice soulless. The little girl turned her eyes slowly to Serene's cold blue ones as she swallowed hard. "I said, why did you cross the fence?" 
 
  "I.. I didn't know that I can't cross it-" 
 
  Serene raised her gun hand; the little girl screamed again, the mouth of the pistol aimed directly at her chest, ready to pump a bullet in.
 
  "Kim SunHwa, identity number 1509268, crime committed: trespassing on government property."
 
  A scream tore through Serene's mind as she blinked, her hands flying to her temple. She gasped as the woman screamed again in her mind.
 
 
  "WAIT! HE'S JUST 16, SIR! HE DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING-"
 
  "I don't kill woman." Another voice spoke. A man's. A man's voice that is deep as the ocean. "Get out of the way." 
 
 
  Serene shook away the splitting pain in her head as she breathed deeply, stabilizing herself before she raised her gun squarely at the girl again. 
 
  "Seul!" 
 
  Serene spin around at the voice of an intruder, firing once at the door. The man who had burst in barely dodged the bullet, which shot past the thin wood, leaving a small but accurate hole.  
 
  The chocolate haired man stared down at the body beneath his feet, his lips trembling slightly as he winced, deciding that Seul wouldn't know what he is talking about even if he tells her he found her from the tracking chip installed in her in case she gone missing.  Serene's eyes were wide as she stared at the man. How did he dodged her bullet? 
 
  "Yoon Seul.." Seunghyun said disbelieving as he turned his gaze to the blonde, who immediately raised her gun at him. 
 
  Seunghyun could almost not recognize her. Her eyes were no longer the warm colored ones, but blue and electronic. Her hair, that wavy brown hair that he loved had turned into a shade of blonde almost identical to Kwon Jiyong's. Seunghyun reckoned that it is the chip that caused a change in their hair color. But it was not her appearance that shocked him the most. Her swiftness and her accuracy—it was worrying even for someone skilled like himself. And the cold body beneath him. Yoon Seul had murdered a man already.
 
  "Seul.. Please, don't you-" Seunghyun gasped.
 
  Serene stared at the man. Why isn't she pulling the trigger at him? Why is he calling her Yoon Seul? She is Serene! 
 
  "Aren't you afraid of me?" 
 
  Serene gasped. A flash of that man's voice had appeared in her mind again. She blinked at Seunghyun, who was standing rooted infront of her, his eyes tortured. Why does that random flash of voice sounds so similar to this man's? Who is this man?
 
  "I'm too dangerous for you. Too stained. My hands, they're stained with blood." 
 
  Serene shrieked at the sudden stab of pain in her head, her hands cupping her ears that are suddenly ringing. Seunghyun opened his mouth in concern and worry but at that moment, Serene turned swiftly to the little girl. 
 
  Complete my mission, serene thought, her head throbbing as she tried to not let it show. Kill the girl and go. 
 
  "Seul no-" Seunghyun yelled, grabbing Yoon Seul back. But she is too quick for him. Too strong. Serene turned around and pinned Seunghyun's hands behind him, spraining his arm in the process. 
 
  "She's just a child!" Seunghyun yelped, barely able to breathe under the immense strength of her, "Don't you remember at all? Don't you remember Yoon Hyuk?!"
 
  An image of a fresh looking boy with his brown fringe flattened under his red SnapBack tore past Serene's mind; it was brief and blurry; but it reached the effect. Another sharp stab of pain shook her brain and she released Seunghyun, staggering backwards.
 
  "Noona!"
 
  A young boy had appeared in her mind, smiling as he ran for her. Throwing himself into the girl's wide stretched arms. Serene shuddered. Who is that girl? Why do the both of us look.. So same.. Yet different?
 
  Shaking her thoughts away, Serene backed away from Seunghyun, who is cradling his right arm, his eyes pained filled. 
 
  "Seul.." 
 
  Serene wouldn't let him distract her again. She fired once at the young girl, who's sobs were immediately silenced. Seunghyun almost felt his world go black and die.
 
  His Seul just killed an innocent child.
 
  A child as innocent as her own brother. 
 
  Serene turned the pistol towards Seunghyun, her eyes blank and emotionless, but was slightly surprised to find no fear in her prey's eyes. He was staring at her with hurt and disbelief.
 
  "Go on.." Seunghyun whispered, his voice hoarse, "Kill me." 
 
  "I love you, Seul." 
 
  Serene almost dropped her pistol as she hurried to press on her head again. It's that voice. Who the hell is Seul? Who the hell is this man? Why can't she seem to shoot at him? 
 
  Straightening up, Serene gave one last hard glance at Seunghyun, who's still wincing at her against the wall, and left the bloodied house, her cloak dancing behind her in the snowy storm. 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Hope you guys can differentiate what is happening in real life
 and 
what is happening just in Yoon Seul's head.
For now, 
I should go and bathe.