Chapter 2

A Complication with Infiltration

 

[JaeHwa’s POV]

My brother stood in front of me, his face contorted with a mixture of pain and disappointment.

 

“How could you JaeHwa? Why of all people…him?”

 

‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry’ echoed in my head but my lips wouldn’t form the words. I started to cry and my brother left me there, alone. My mother and father walked by and shook their heads at me. Then someone picked me up, their gigantic hands covering my face and suffocating me. I heard some girls laugh and boys scoff as I was passed around to more and more suffocating hands. I was about to scream-

 

“YAH! KIM JAEHWA! I know that you’re there!  PICK UP THIS PHONE RIGHT NOW, aish”

 

My eyes sprung open to the familiar screech of my big brother. I was breathing heavily and the world was dark…  Also Park YooChun was staring directly at one of my eyes and his face was tiny! That’s when I realized that my TVXQ poster had been about to kill me with a new form of asphyxiation. 

 

“JAEHWA! This is not funny, if I lose my voice waking you up I will come over there and burn all of your posters, IS THAT THE REALITY YOU WANT??? YAH KIM JAE-“

I quickly leaped out of bed to pick up the phone. 

 

“Good morning, oppa~ to what do I owe the honor of your priceless screech as my alarm clock?” I said sweetly into the phone, knowing full well that the expression on my brother’s face would be priceless as he tried to stay mad at me.

 

“Yah! You- You… How are you JaeHwa?” Oppa sighed, signaling his defeat to the powers of my cute little sister act.

 

I giggled softly at his predictable failure. “I’m fine, Oppa, what about you?”

 

“Are you eating enough?” He inquired.

 

“Yes, Oppa, you?” I said sweetly, knowing where this was going.

 

“Is anyone bullying you?” He asked again.

 

“Yes. Yes someone’s being a big meanie.” I sighed.

 

“WHAT!?!?! Tell me who and I swear I’ll-” He started.

 

“Well this guy yelled at me this morning, threatened to burn all my posters, and refuses to answer my questions.” I accused flatly.

 

“… Oh, Mianhae JaeHwa.” 

 

“Forgiven, Oppa, forgiven. When can I visit you?” I asked now that we had finished the usual sibling silliness

 

“Um, well as far as I know we don’t have much to do today, so how about this afternoon at the SM building?” He suggested and I heard a struggle around the phone.

 

“Iced coffee today?”

 

“Yah! And pastries too!” I heard the fuzzy voice of my brother’s friend yell into the phone. 

 

I laughed; I couldn’t wait to see them today. All of them, especially-

 

“We have to go now JaeHwa-ah! I’ll remind JongHyun not to yell at you tomorrow, okay?” it was my brother’s friend’s voice; so clearly he’d won the battle over the phone.

 

“Okay, KiBum-oppa! See you later!”

 

I looked at the SHINee poster on my wall and smiled. How could anyone not adore these guys?

Even my annoying alarm-clock brother had his charms. 

 

-

 

I covered my eyes to block out the bright sun as I walked to the SM Building. The sunshine was blinding even so. I didn’t even see the girl I accidentally bumped into. I apologized, but it seemed as though she didn’t hear me. 

 

Even that couldn’t dampen my mood though. I was glad that coffee shop was nearby so I didn’t have to carry the six iced coffees in the summer heat very far. I greeted the door guards with a polite bow. 

 

I double checked the room on the text from JongHyun-Oppa before I knocked on the door. 

 

I heard hushed voices behind the door and I put my ear to it, curious as to what was being said

 

“The anti-fans are being too quiet, we need to protect you.” A deep and unfamiliar voice said.

 

“What should we do about it?” JongHyun questioned. I frowned at his stressed and tired voice.

 

Then the door moved from my face, still leaving me in my eavesdropping pose.  I looked up slowly and nearly stopped breathing when I saw who it was.  My eyes met his and then dropped instantly. Chocolate, puppy dogs, soft brown velvet, perfection—way too good to look at when you know you can’t have it. 

 

“Ah, JaeHwa-ssi, you’re here.” He smiled at me.

 

The blush on my face was hard to conceal, luckily no one was paying attention.

 

“MinHo, don’t just stand there—she’s got sweets for us!” KiBum yelled at the door.

 

He gave me another quick smile before gesturing for me to follow him.

 

The two middle aged men in the room nodded briefly at me before continuing on with the discussion.

 

“We have some spies in the anti-fan circle, but I think we need another, one that we can trust but can also get to the higher levels within the anti-fans.” 

 

“Why are you discussing this with us then? You seem to have it under control.” KiBum countered, smiling at me as I gave him his iced coffee and pastry. 

 

“Because, for it to work it needs to be someone you trust, who can contact you as quickly as possible. The more popular you get the more at risk you are.”

 

My SHINee Oppas in trouble?

 

The gears in my head began to turn as I sat down between JongHyun and JinKi.

 

KiBum and I shared a look across the table and he suddenly interjected-

 

“What about JaeHwa?” he suggested, much to the immediate distress of the boy on my left. 

 

“NO! Absolutely not! Not my little sister.” JongHyun said looking at KiBum as though he were insane.

 

“I think it’s a good idea.” MinHo sided, after his initial shock from the sudden outburst subsided. He received a JongHyun stare.

 

“Me too, I trust JaeHwa.” TaeMin smiled at me as his sipped his iced coffee. He received a JongHyun glare.

 

The less talkative of the two older men nodded with approval at the plan. He received a JongHyun… I don’t know if there is a name for that. 

 

JinKi looked at me, then at JongHyun—whose face resembled a pissed off ripe tomato more and more with every agreement.  

 

“Do you think you would be willing, JaeHwa-ssi?” JinKi asked, keeping a close eye on the ever-growing look of absolute rage on JongHyun’s face.

 

The silence was very palpable. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me. 

 

“Yes.” I answered simply and looked right at JongHyun, letting him know that I meant business. 

 

He let out a choked noise but didn’t object verbally.

 

 “It’s settled then, welcome to the team, JaeHwa-ssi” The more talkative of the older men said before handing me a card. “Call her for more information on the operation.” He began to walk away before turning back “Oh, and please conceal your relationship with SHINee, if they find out you’re a relative you could be in danger.” 

 

JongHyun’s face contorted at the word danger. It reminded me of my earlier dream, and I stole a quick glance at MinHo. He looked cool and collected, as always, a stark contrast to my fuming oppa.

 

“Well now that the business is done how about some Kareoke?” JinKi said, turning on the machine that was in the corner of the room.

 

“Do you ever do anything but sing?” Key asked as he picked up one of the mics.

 

“Not very often.” JinKi admitted with a laugh.

 

JongHyun sat down next to me, still upset. I rubbed his back a bit and gave him a side hug.

 

“Don’t worry, Oppa, I can take care of myself, and if not I promise you’re the first person I’ll call.”

 

“Promise?” He said looking at me with concern.

 

“Pinky promise.”  I giggled at him.

 

“GUYS I HAVE THE MOST ADORABLE SISTER EVER!” He exclaimed, wrapping me in a rib crushing bear hug.

 

“Oppa!! I’m in danger! Save me from yourself!” I screamed, MinHo and TaeMin laughed, while Onew and Key broke into f(x)’s Pinocchio.

 

-

 

While I skipped up to my room still humming one of the songs that we sang to, I felt the card in my pocket. Sitting down at my desk I picked up the house phone and dialed the number.

 

“Hello?” an alto voice said on the other line.

 

“Hello, uh-“ I looked at the card “EunSun-Ssi? I’m the new junior for the SHINee anti-fan team?”

 

“Ah! Yes, JaeHwa-Ssi! I was told to expect a call from you! Do you have free time?”

 

“Yes, Sunbae”

 

“Good—meet me at the 2C Internet Cafe in an hour; we need to get you started right away. I’m hanging up now, see you then!”

 

I hung up the phone, slightly confused… what did she mean ‘get me started’? I looked up the directions to the 2C Internet café and glanced at my SHINee poster. Whatever I’d gotten myself into it was worth it for these guys, right? I gazed into MinHo’s eyes on my poster and nodded, I needed to protect them.

 

-

 

I walked into the air conditioned PC room that I was ushered to when I mentioned EunSun’s name.  She was tall for a girl with brown eyes that winked mischievously, and seemed pleased to meet me. 

 

“Okaio, so most anti-fans either are really into the indie scene or have another idol group that they really like from another company that they feel is a rival of that group. Since you’re supposed to be a SHINee Anti and you don’t look much like a rock fan I’m thinking we’re going to turn you into a 2PM fan.” She spoke rapidly, as though wasting any time would be a sin.

 

“What are you in the Anti-world?” I asked, interested at how this whole system worked

 

“I’m a Battle fan girl angry at successful groups.”

 

“Battle?” I inquired, not familiar with the group.

 

“Exactly. They’re actually pretty good, but enough about that. You need to know everything about 2PM and have a bias so that we can make this convincing.”

 

We spent two hours in the Internet café introducing me to the world of the Hottests and giving me a lesson in 2PM music and members.  Lee JunHo was selected as my favorite and I was given a lot of web assignments to prepare me for the anti-world. 

 

The most important event, however, was registering me for the Anti-fan forum:

 

1)Which member of SHINee do you hate the most?-Kim JongHyun
2) What is your favorite Musical Group? 2PM
3) What do you hate most about SM? Horrible music
4) What is your nickname? KJH93
5) What country are you from? South Korea

 

Then I received an email from the forum almost instantly:

 

“Welcome fellow SHINee Anti!
Glad to know that there are others who share my interests.
I’m one of the forum leaders. I’m pleased to welcome you to a site where you can finally release your dislike for the crap that SM calls music and the disgusting people they call artists.
Together we may be able to silence them and their stupid fans. 
Please post often! We love hearing new ideas on how to achieve our goal.
-Park Y.H.”

 

I felt sort of sick reading the email… were there people that really hated SHINee that much?

 

Why?

 

I guess I would soon find out.