Five

One September

I stooped my head down, waiting for that very moment where Kyuhyun would finally take me.

“I can give you at least a minute to talk to her.” Kyuhyun said. “-to finally bid her goodbye before you leave.”

I did not respond. I just continue to stoop my head down, letting my tears fall off my face.

Who would have thought that a spirit can still shed a tear?

“Heechul…”

“It’s no use Kyuhyun.” I said. “We’ll only add burden to her if we do that. The more she sees me, the more it would be hard for her to let go. Just…..let it be.”

“Are you sure?”

I forced a smile at him.

“If that’s what you want then I think I have to take you now.”

I closed my eyes tightly, afraid that I might refrain myself from coming with him if I saw Rhein’s face once again.

Just take me. Please  Kyuhyun…. I no longer care whether you take me to heaven or to hell. Just take me with you.

“Open your eyes.” Kyuhyun demanded. However, I hesitated to obey him.

Why do I have this feeling as if we didn’t travel to another place? Why do I feel like there’s something wrong here? Did we finally reach heaven…… or hell perhaps? Why do I felt as if nothing had changed?

I can still feel the same cold air I used to feel at the cemetery. I can still hear the whispers of trees and the chirping of birds. I can still even hear Rhein’s sweet voice as she keeps on…. chuckling?

Wait. Did I just really hear Rhein chuckled?

I immediately shot my eyes opened and that’s when I noticed that the place to where we are at the moment was still the same place we’ve been to. We are still at the cemetery. And we are still standing few meters away from Rhein.

But the thing is, Rhein was no longer crying. Her eyes were still red but she is no longer crying, for she was now talking with her friends--happily talking with her friends.

“Thank you for coming over here. You guys are the best.” Rhein said, smiling sweetly at the people in front of her. “I didn’t expect you to be here. Haven’t you said that you’re going to hang out somewhere?”

I saw Imee throw secret glances at their friends before she directed her eyes on Rhein once again. “Yes.”

“Then why are you guys here?”

“Because you’re here.”  She answered,

Rhein smiled.

“We are all aware that today is your brother’s death anniversary. We already have an idea that you will come over here after class to visit him.” Sungmin said.

“That’s why we came up with this plan.” said Hyukjae. “We actually want to surprise you. Look, we even brought white chocolates for your brother.”

Hyukjae even lifted the paper bag that contains my favorite and beloved white chocolates. Rhein on the other hand, uttered sincere thanks at him.

“Thanks guys.” She said. “I really appreciate the things you did. Not only for today, but also for all the things you’ve done for me in the past. If it weren’t for you, maybe I’m still stucked in my own room, drowning myself at my own dilemma. ”

“You know we can’t let you stay just like that.” Henry muttered. “We are your friends, Rhein. Whatever you feel, we can feel it also. If you’re sad, we are also sad. If you’re hurting, we are also hurting, That’s why you have to be happy. That way, you’re also making us happy.”

Rhein nodded and hugged him tight. Tears had once again begun to brim her eyes. But at this moment, I know that it was no longer because of sadness. It was .a product of happiness. Tears of joy, that is.

I turned my back, almost ready to leave. But I stopped the moment I saw Henry smiling at me. He was still hugging my sister while muttering words in which I understood as ‘I’ll take good care of her, I promise.’

“Let’s go Kyuhyun.” I said. A sincere smile can now be seen on my face.

I felt a lot better now. I felt so relieved, so happy and so satisfied. Probably because I know that there are people who will look after her when I finally leave this place.

You’re such a lucky girl Rhein….

Kyuhyun followed me from behind. Then out of nowhere a struck of light immediately appeared in front of us. Its very end was directed towards the sky.

“Ready?” Kyuhyun asked and I nodded.

He took my hand with his and together we went towards the light.

“I Love You Chullie Oppa!” Rhein shouted from behind. When I looked at her, I saw her waving towards our direction. She was crying while saying, “Thank you for everything! I won’t forget you, I promise!”

I smiled at her and made a heart-shaped sign out of my hand. Then I mouthed words like, “I love you too my princess.” though I know she won’t see me. Probably it was Henry who told her I was here.

 

---------

“Let me tell you a secret.” Kyuhyun said when we finally reached the end of what supposed to be a long tunnel.

He was wearing a mysterious smile within his lips which made my eyebrow tweaked a little.

“What?” I asked. Kyuhyun smiled even wider.

“Rhein saw you.” I was stunned for a bit upon hearing what he had said.

Rhein…..saw me?

“Yes.” He had once again read my mind. “I did a good job, didn’t I?”

Kyuhyun smirked at me. And with that, he started to walk away, leaving me behind.

Rhein saw me. Indeed.