One

One September

 

It was one of those days in September when the morning was quite unusual. The weather was gloomy, the clouds were dark, the wind breeze was cold and tiny drops of rain began to fall outside….

 

“You asked me what is happiness and I just smiled. Simply because happiness is ought to be simple. You and Me--that means happiness to me.”

“I may have nothing, but having you around me feel like I already have everything.”

“Everything happens for a reason. So if ever one day I disappear, don’t be sad. Who knows, maybe I am destined to be your guardian angel.”

“Who talks about death? In all honesty, for as long as I am with you everything is limitless.”

 

Those were the words which keep popping up my head for the past whole year. The words which I would still long to hear. And the words which I will keep in my heart forever…..

As I look outside the window, I feel something inside me stir. My heart aches in pain as if someone’s squeezing it tightly, making it hard for me to breathe. I feel so lost, so sad, so empty. And I definitely know the reason why….

Today is the 21st day of September…..

 

'Heaven got another angel the night

It took you away from me

heaven got a little better the night

you left the world behind ….'

 

 

 

 

My chain of thoughts automatically stopped the moment I heard a familiar song play. With just a matter of an instance, the whole place was now filled with music which continuously play over and over again, breaking and tearing the deafening silence of the morning.

 

Curiosity goaded me to walk upstairs while having this one particular place in mind – Rhein’s room. I am a hundred percent sure that it was her phone ringing. It was already 6 in the morning and that brat has to get up immediately if she doesn’t want to get late for school.

As I open her room’s door, I saw her sleeping soundly on bed. She was cuddling like a baby in her sleep. She looks so innocent and tough and peaceful. That it was as if problems have no place for her.

“You’re such a tough young lady.” I muttered softly while staring at her. “Good job Rhein.”

I even smiled at the sleeping figure in front of me before I looked around the room. This place still hasn’t change. The paint, the furniture, the arrangements – everything still fall on its own proper place just like before. In fact, not even a single piece of it had changed. The same thing with the song which continuously fills the four corners of this house with music.

Who would have thought that it would still be her favorite song?

Apparently, as I continue to look around this place something had caught my attention. There on the table next to Rhein’s bed is a small calendar with a note attached on a particular date saying “Important Day. DO NOT FORGET.”

I once again looked at the girl in front of me and smile. Looking at her like this, watching her in her sleep, made me realized how I missed her so much.

“Rhein…” I called. I even tapped her shoulder gently to wake her up.

But Rhein did not respond. Nor did she move. She just continue to lay still as if she didn’t hear me.

Seriously, this kid has indeed have a big problem waking up in the morning.

I chuckled because of that.

 

                Several minutes had passed when I hear the shifting of bed once again. When I look at it, Rhein was now sitting on her bed. Her messy hair was falling off her face freely as she rubs her eyes like a kido. She was now half-awake. Often times she would let a small yawn in front of me while she was trying to reach for her phone.

“Good morning Rhein…” I greeted. “It’s time to wake up, sleepy head.”

“Aish this phone, why are you so noisy?” she asked irritatedly with a visible frown on her face while still trying to reach for her phone on the table beside her. Unluckily, it fell off to the ground which created a loud sound that eventually made her eyes shot open.

“Omo!” she gasped and hurriedly crawled to the floor. “What time is it?”

“It’s already 6:13 young lady.

“Aigoo I’ll be late for school!”

With that, she hurriedly grabbed her uniform on her closet and rushed to the bathroom.