00 - Prelude

[HIATUS] A Mother's Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first day I saw him... It was Yunho-Hyung's graduation day at the time.

Yunho stood proudly in front of the auditorium, giving quite a length speech as the best scholar in the university. In the audience, Changmin sat quietly with his parents, feeling extremely uneasy with everything. Changmin really hated the fact that he had to wait inside the auditorium along with his parents, who were also giving him a speech the entire time.

“Did you see him, Changmin?” Mr. Jung asked, “Your hyung is astoundingly perfect in everything. He is successful, graduating from this first-class university. You should follow his steps, instead of taking two majors at the same time. I don’t see that you’re going to need music anytime.”

Changmin held his breath; not wanting to spoil his mood.

Take it easy, Changmin, he thought, trying not to grit his teeth. Relax. You’re used to this already.

“Did you hear me?” snapped Mr. Jung, angry at the lack of response from the younger of his two sons.

“I heard you,” replied Changmin, having a hard time not speaking through gritted teeth. It was not lost on his father.

Mr. Jung snorted upon his younger son’s remarks, a dangerous light entering his eyes. “You can’t even answer the question politely, Changmin. Why don’t you learn your hyung's attitude better?” he said again, turning his attention back to Yunho, “You're nothing like your brother.”

Changmin sighed deeply, rolling his eyes lazily in between. 

Then stop trying to turn me into him, old man, he throught derisively. Obviously it's not getting you anywhere.

Relieved could not describe how Changmin felt as soon as the graduation came to an end. He quickly stood and walked towards Yunho without his parents, having enough of the lecture from them already. Yunho noticed the other's near-assailant's pace, smiled almost right away and approached Changmin, even though he was speaking with another person beforehand.

It was then that Changmin got the perfect chance to see the figure of the other person who'd wrapped his older brother in conversation. Changmin only needed one second; one second to get a vague feeling of interest and intrigue within the person. It was a woman; quite tall and pretty, yet very much tomboyish. Changmin figured that she must be at the same age as him.

Must be one of Yunho-Hyung’s admirers, Changmin surmised.

“Changmin! You came too,” Yunho said, giving him a long and tight hug right away, “I’m happy to see that you came here, you know?”

“Not a problem, Hyung,” Changmin said, replying the hug with a smile on his face, “I am happy as well to see your graduation, Hyung. Congratulations.”

Before they were able to talk longer, Yunho had to greet their parents. Yunho was immediately hugging both of them in turn, thanking them for coming to his graduation. Changmin wasn’t even sure about how many times his father had said that they were proud of Yunho in a day.

“You’re a very good son, Yunho. I’m very proud of you,” Mr. Jung said, before taking a glance towards Changmin, “But I always wonder, why this nam-dongsaeng of yours was never able to follow you. What an ungrateful son.”

Changmin rolled his eyes lazily. Again.

Yeah, yeah. Whatever...

It never ceased to amaze him how blunt and uncouth his father could be in public when it came to Changmin.

“Don’t say that, Appa,” Yunho said with a smile, putting his hand on Changmin’s shoulder and squeezing it softly, “Changmin is very good in his field too. He plays piano and guitar well,  and is also good at composing songs. You should  be proud of him too.”

“That’s practically nothing,” replied Mr. Jung, snorting upon Yunho’s words.

“Where is Joohyun, Yunho?” Mrs. Jung quickly asked, trying to loosen up the tense around them, “I didn’t see her anywhere yet. She’s coming to your graduation too, right?”

“She said that her schedule for today was too packed, Umma,” Yunho explained smoothly, “But she commended the greetings for everyone.”

Mrs. Jung's face fell, her disappointment prominent  knowing that she couldn’t meet Joohyun. After all, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Seo was one of her favorite persons besides her own family. For Mrs. Jung, Joohyun was as perfect as Yunho; she was a female version. That was why she felt extremely happy when she knew Yunho and Joohyun were together.

“That’s so sad. Is she that busy on her modeling career?” Mrs. Jung said again, “Even for visiting his boyfriend’s graduation, she couldn’t do it.”

“It can’t be helped, Umma,” replied Yunho with a soft smile.

While Mr. and Mrs. Jung were talking to the other parents, Yunho took that chance to look at Changmin. He was chuckling almost immediately, when he say how Changmin were spacing out at his place already. “What were you thinking, Changmin?” asked him, punching the younger’s shoulder slightly.

Changmin jerked a bit at his place, feeling surprised with the sudden interruption from Yunho. His eyes got widened, as if he was caught doing something bad. “H- Hyung! Why did you make me startled?” Changmin said, faking his pout and rubbing his shoulder right away, “Can’t you be more considerate later?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter