v.

The Properties of a Falling Leaf

 

  “Don’t you think Taehyung’s actually appealing without his thug bruises?” the week had started off like the usual, students not minding their own business and instead prying on someone else’s. I’d sleep in class if it wasn’t for Seolhwa’s constant pestering during the morning. I can’t believe this girl was on my scalp even before the beginning of the class.

  “Today’s the test, Blank Face. You can’t sleep,” her eyes rolled (this newbie actually had the nerve to roll her eyes at me) in a vilifying manner as she explained the obvious. How can people say she’s sweet and cute? This girl was worse than Jungkook on tantrum.

  “Come on, Ms. Uptight, I had work during Saturday and Sunday—don’t tell me I’m lying  because you saw me Saturday—and practice during the evening until the crack of dawn. I’m sure you don’t want to see me extra pissed off,” I hissed, making sure no one could hear the conversation. My patience with her was less than a pinch of salt.

  “Besides, why do you care about me so much? Next time, mind your own business.”

  Her hands curled into a tight ball of fist as her breathing turned erratic—for a moment I thought she was going to have an asthma attack again. She stood up and grabbed her bag before dashing out of the room. A few of the students in class noticed and spared me a glance, but I could care less.

  I don’t get why she ended up being upset; I was just being upfront and honest with her. It’s better than to be fake and pretending that I was happy with her constant badgering. I debated with myself whether I should go look for her or not. I then thought of how I treated her, and how it was I who sent her flying out the door. I groaned in annoyance and almost ripped my hair off.

  Just before I pulled up the courage to stand and search for her myself, she happily skipped in the room with a gleaming Jungkook beside her. I stared at the youngest member of our dance crew, wondering what on earth he could be doing in this place. Moments later, I slapped my forehead and moaned, remembering that he goes to the same school as I do. I looked away just as Seolhwa turned her attention from Jungkook towards me. He averted his gaze and the maknae fumed once our eyes met. He attempted to calmly approach me but he failed, seeing as how red horns were growing out of his forehead. What’s his deal anyway? 

  “Be more considerate of other people’s feelings, Tae,” he sneered, getting closer towards me so that no one else would hear. We were already garnering interest with a few of the female student’s stares. 

  “Last time I did that, I was stepped on and mocked. Oh wait, I still am being stepped on and mocked,” I murmured acidly, gritting my teeth in annoyance. “And watch your tone, Jeon. I’m still older than you.”

  “Maybe if you changed your attitude, you’d actually have friends and people won’t spread bull about you,” with one final glare, Jungkook left the room before I could even land a fist on his face. That was a low blow—that kid is way too confident to even realize what he was saying. Of course he had hurt my pride, but I wouldn’t admit that. Not to him.

  “Taehyung, I didn’t mean to have him say those things,” Seolhwa spoke softly, taking her spot beside me. I kept my reaction frozen as I impassively stared at the front of the class, somewhat thankful that no one seemed to hear what came out of Jungkook’s smart mouth.

  “I’m not trying to pry on you or anything, so I apologize if I had annoyed you,” she continued, “don’t harm Jungkook for what he said. I’m taking full responsibility for that.”

  She heaved a sigh when I didn’t respond. Since when was she so worried about Jungkook? The teacher finally came in and it prevented Seolhwa from saying anything further. I was half glad that she’d managed to shut , but another part of me dreaded the silence because it meant that the test was coming, and I was already getting sleepy.

* * *

  “All right, class, the time’s up. Please pass your papers forward,” I scribbled down the last details as fast as I could before the person in front of me could turn and collect my test. I eyed Seolhwa when I heard her giggle. She stared at me before tilting her head and motioning to the girl in front of us, who was patiently waiting from my paper. Frowning, I handed my test to her and watched as it made its way to our teacher.

  “Why are you laughing at me?” I murmured and laid my left cheek on the table, facing her. She mirrored my actions and did the same.

  “Because you actually read the notes and did the test, Kim Taehyung. It feels rewarding,” she grinned, the corners of her eyes wrinkling in the process. Having her in close proximity made me feel uneasy but at the same time I couldn’t be bothered to move.

  “Your pestering would be non-stop if I hadn’t done exactly that.”

  “Did you just pout? Because it was adorable.”

  Realizing what I had done, my lips recoiled into a thin line as I automatically frowned. Seolhwa chuckled, reaching her finger out to poke my forehead. I raised my eyebrow in confusion but she only resumed to laughing like an idiot.

  “You’re strange,” I yawned and swatted her hand away from my forehead.

  “I could say the same to you, Mr. Bipolar.”

* * *

  No thanks to Ms. Busan, I was unable to sleep until lunch time arrived. This was actually rare for me, since I nap most of my school days away. When the class was dismissed for break time, I sat still on my chair, not moving an inch.

  “Hey, aren’t you going to eat?” Seolhwa the inquisitor was packing her things as slow as she possibly could, trying to buy time to ask me more questions. I shrugged, not paying too much attention as I bit my thumb nail and thought of Jungkook. Should I go find the kid and ask him to buy me lunch? But it was evident that he was fuming with rage against me and my so-called “attitude”. Pft, right, he’s the one with anger issues, not me.

  “Let’s eat,” while I was busy pondering about food, a lunch box was already placed in front of me. Moreover, Seolhwa had moved seats and we were now facing each other.

  “I’m not hungry,” I frowned as she opened container to reveal an appetizing meal, which consisted mainly of rice and meat. My response contradicted with the grumble of my stomach, stating that I was, in fact, famished. The newbie could only grin as she handed me her spare chopsticks.

  “Are these things clean?” I eyed the silverware warily and Seolhwa frowned. She attempted to take the chopsticks back but I held it behind my back and stuck my tongue out. I immediately dug in before she could utter a coherent phrase.

  “You eat like a pig,” I ignored her remarks and took a bite of the heavenly-looking meat before out loud, earning a look of displeasure from Seolhwa. “Did you just have a foodgasm?”

  “Less talking, more chewing,” I choked out while I stuffed with rice. When I felt like I couldn’t swallow my own saliva, I dropped the chopsticks on my table and stretched my arms out, smiling as wide as I could.

  “Thanks for the food, they’re not bad,” I stated genuinely, patting my stomach and sighing with content. The girl across from me grinned as she munched on her grapes. She might not be too bad, after all.

  “Why do you keep insisting, though?” I propped my elbow against the table and placed my chin on top of my palm. She spared me a questioning glance as her right eyebrow quirked.

  “Writing notes for me, chasing me when I’ve turned you down, giving half of your lunch to me, you know? Despite all the rumors.”

  “And despite your attitude,” she grinned, gulping down a bottle of mineral water.

  “You like me, don’t you?”

  I found out that my reflexes weren’t that great when the water she was just drinking splattered all over my face. Once she realized what happened, she panicked and pulled out several paper towels.

  “That statement is obscure,” she muttered, gently dabbing my face.

  What came out of my mouth next was something that she didn’t expect. I held on my stomach and gasped for air, trying to contain my laughter. My other hand was wiping the tears that came from the corners of my eyes. Seolhwa’s mouth was agape as confusion was written all over her face. It was her turn to frown.

  “Why are you laughing like that?”

  It took me awhile to calm myself down. “I was just teasing. You should’ve seen how surprised you were. But I can’t believe you spat on me.” And besides, I’m aware that she has a boyfriend—that Junhong guy.

  I snatched the paper towel from her hands and wiped my neck. She looked conflicted—it was as if she didn’t know whether she should be angry towards me for joking around or be apologetic because the water from ended up all over me. Admittedly, it was disgusting but I didn’t want to embarrass the torn girl further.

  “You’re pretty conceited for a guy who never speaks most of the time,” she scoffed, finally finding her own voice.

  “I said I was kidding,” I faced away from her and chucked the discarded paper towel to the trash bin (which, I can proudly boast, went in). “…unless it’s true.”

  I wagged my eyebrows playfully towards her and she grimaced.

  “I think I prefer the quiet, mysterious gangster side of you compared to this,” I gave her a look of disapproval and she shrugged, finally grinning.

 


 

I hope that wasn't too shabby. Here’s a little love to my readers, silent or not, from the wealthy housewife himself.

tumblr_mtn9cwOnqH1rkeuyvo1_500.gif