i.

The Properties of a Falling Leaf

 

  “Did you hear that if you meet eyes with him, he’d beat you up?”

  “He came to school with a cut on his lower lip and several bruises on his arm. I always knew that he was a part of some gang.”

  “I bet it’s the people he hangs out with. I went to the same middle school as him, and he wasn’t always like this.”

  “Kim Taehyung is last place again. As expected, he’s a delinquent, after all.”

  I groaned inwardly and prevented myself from glaring at the girls who were gossiping merely ten steps away from me. They knew that everyone could hear them very well, yet they continued their silly banters. Several students were eyeing me as if I was the main event of the Friday Night Freak Show; a restrained giant who was forced to face the audience and was expected to somehow please them and bring humor upon their lips.

  Hey, let’s all make way for the infamous leader of some gang, Kim Taehyung! Let us also subtly—but not really—talk about him when he’s right here in front of us!

  What a bunch of hypocrites. I don’t understand why I have to attend this hell-hole of a place if I was going to be the target of verbal abuse every single day. Several teachers and students would often treat me indifferently, like I might throw a punch at them if they said one thing wrong. Most of the time, people would work hard to clear that misunderstand, but I chose to stay nonchalant about the matter. I don’t think they’d care much if I defended myself, anyway.

  “Class, listen up!” the homeroom teacher casually walked in just as I propped myself in the corner of the room, away from everyone and their judgemental stares. Ms. Jang slammed her books down once she was on the podium, gaining the attention of those who failed to recognize her presence. They all groaned in response before giving half of their attention to the petite teacher.

  “Wake up, some of you. Don’t you think it’s too early to be this sleepy?” Ms. Jang scoffed in annoyance, but quickly dismissed the subject.

  “This here,” she motioned to the female who unnoticeably followed the homeroom teacher inside, “is Ahn Seolhwa. She just moved here from Busan. Pease do your introductions, new student.”

  Ms. Jang smiled warmly towards Seolhwa and urged the student to greet us. The new girl hesitated and I assumed that she felt arrested under the scrutinizing gaze of everyone one in the room. I remember the time when I was a new student at this school—it wasn’t a pleasant memory at all. You were always expected to be perfect in order for people to accept you as one of the people in their cliques.

  I noticed how she rubbed her palms together before stuffing them in the pockets of her skirt.

  “Hello, my name is Ahn Seolhwa. Please take care of me,” newbie stuttered as her accent layered her short speech. Bowing slightly, she bit her lip when she heard the hushed chuckles of our classmates. I cautiously scanned her from head to toe before smirking and burying my head between my folded arms. She already gave off the typical cute but extremely shy female that all male specimens—excluding me—would drop on the knees for. My eyes drooped heavily and I was ready for my daily nap.

  “Your accent is cute!” I overheard a male student hoot shamelessly from the back of the class. I could imagine other guys (and possibly some girls) nod in agreement with the loudmouth of a student.

  “Not to mention your legs—wow,” and another one continued along and judging from the source of his voice, I presumed that the guy was sitting right in front of me. How erted can these people get? Admittedly, she was attractive, but I wouldn’t go as far as to disrespect her. Either way, my hunch was correct. Everyone was probably ogling at the newbie already.

  “Okay class, calm yourselves down,” why was it so damn loud in this room? I should’ve gone to the library for my nap. At least quietness was respected there, unlike most places. Not even my so-called house was peaceful. I winced as the throbbing on my right arm resumed. It seems like the bruises haven’t healed quite yet. Damn that bastard, I should’ve just fought back; that action alone would probably please these hypocrite gossipers, seeing as how I’ll live up to my title of delinquency.

  “Kim Taehyung,” my ears perked at the mention of my name but I didn’t bother to acknowledge the voice. “You’ll be placed beside Kim Taehyung.”

  I immediately shot up and all eyes that were on the girl moments ago were now on me. I scowled, hating to be put on the spot—not to mention be the seat partner of the seemingly clueless newbie. She was gaping at me, eyes ready to pop out of their sockets. Yeah, yeah, I know my looks are to die for. I sighed in annoyance and went back to one important task listed on my agenda: taking a nap. The homeroom teacher and everyone else didn’t seem to mind as their attention went back to the student—what was her name again?

  I heard the old chair beside me screech as I felt a presence sit adjacent from where I slouched. I guess Ms. Jang was being serious. She—in her years of being my teacher—knew that I preferred to sit alone and yet this new girl was assigned next to me. I discretely moved my chair closer towards the window, making sure I sent the message that I didn’t want her anywhere within the vicinity of my personal space. The homeroom teacher left but not before reminding us that the first class was about start soon. They greeted Ms. Jang on her way out but I didn’t bother to move an inch.

  “Poor Seolhwa, she’s probably going to get bullied by that delinquent,” I scoffed as the whispers rose out of the mud once again. I didn’t even have any plans of talking to the girl now or ever. Before first period started, I fell into a deep slumber and for once, I wasn’t dreaming of shattered china plates and purple blotches.