Of Reunions and Comforting an Insecure Anima

Entering the World of Anima

***Kyungsoo’s Room***

It seems he doesn’t remember me at all. I mean, he introduced himself right? Kyungsoo paced around his room, thinking really hard about his earlier interaction with Kai. What do I do if he doesn’t remember me? Do we have to start all over again? It’s only been 5 years. Kyungsoo settled on his bed and looked at the ceiling.

***Kai’s Room***

He doesn’t remember me? Does that mean he forgot what we had before? Do I have to start from the beginning? Like Kyungsoo, Kai was restless. He looks at the picture frame on his bedside table. It showed a picture of Kyungsoo and himself hugging each other. It was a picture from 5 years ago before their powers were awaken; before they were separated. It was sad that Kyungsoo no longer remembers him. Maybe I can try to make him realize his feelings again?

 Flashback

Kai and Kyungsoo were sitting under a peach tree. It was peaceful. Kyungsoo was reading his book while Kai laid his head on Kyungsoo’s lap napping. Just then, they were called by a boy, telling them that the elder was looking for them.

“You wanted to speak to us, Elder?”

“Ah, yes. I am going to tell you something important so listen carefully.” They nodded.

“Kyungsoo, you are the Earth guardian. Head east of the village.  Jong In, you are the Teleportation guardian.  Head west of the village. Leave first thing tomorrow morning.” Kyungsoo and Jong In looked at each other with dejected eyes.

That night, Kyungsoo and Jong In met one last time.

“Let’s do it tonight, Kyungsoo. So that, we’ll always find our way back to each other.”

“I love you, my Jong In.”

“I love you too, beloved Kyungsoo.”

***Sehun’s Room***

Like in every other dream, I floated around the same sky. But, there was something different tonight. In the near horizon, I saw a white castle. It was connected by a bridge to a floating land with a great waterfall. I surged forward and saw a fairly huge room. I felt my feet touch the tiled floors. Looking around, I noticed the curtains were closed and the room was slightly dark. Feeling home, I made my way to a bed with silk sheets. On the bedside table, I saw two bracelets. One of them had the telekinesis symbol and the other was… mine, the wind guardian symbol. Why is it here? I looked at my left hand… it was there. Looking back at the table, I saw that it was intertwined with the telekinesis guardian’s.

The door opened and I was turned abruptly. I saw the man of my dreams, his face covered with a veil, leaving only his eyes visible.

“Who are you? Tell me, please.” He doesn’t say anything. Instead, he makes hand gestures. He told me that he can’t speak. I must look for him first. I moved to leave and wake up but he hugs me. It was loose but firm. I found myself unable to leave his embrace. He turned me around and kissed my forehead. I looked at his red eyes.

“Wake up.”

 I opened my eyes and I found myself in my room. It was barely dawn. I looked at Luhan who was still covered by a layer of blankets. I can hear his light snores. Feeling a little tired, I fell back into a dreamless sleep.

***Ice Cave***

Xiumin walked around the cave. He had nothing to do. Waiting for his father’s call was really taking too long. Xiumin decided to go to his room and play with some ice sculptures. By the time he got there, he heard his father call out.

“Xiumin, I’ve decided to let you go to the other guardians. Put the illusion stone under the youngest guardian’s pillow. You might want to gain their trust first. Go first thing, tomorrow morning.” Xiumin nodded. Finally, he could meet the famous guardians of the Earth village. Xiumin left already. He was too excited that he didn’t hear his father’s calls. His room turned from red back to its bleakness. He ran to the seaside where he heard the voice.

“I’m leaving. I hope I got to meet you.” With that, Xiumin bid farewell to no one within hearing distance.

***Later that same day, Kyungsoo’s Room***

Luhan was currently sitting with Kyungsoo on the floor. They continued staring at each other when the chef’s eyes suddenly teared up.

“What do I do if he doesn’t remember me? Help me hyung!” Kyungsoo dived into Luhan’s comforting arms as the older patted his friend’s back.

“Do you really think he lost his memories, that he doesn’t remember you?” Kyungsoo nodded.

“Would you rather I use my powers and throw a rock at his head? I heard hitting your head when you have amnesia is very effect–” Luhan was stopped mid-sentence as he saw Kyungsoo’s fear-stricken face.

“Hyung! Why would you even consider hitting him?”

“It was just a suggestion. Well, you can always try to do the things you’ve done in the past. He might remember you if he feels familiar with the past events.” Kyungsoo stopped crying and beamed.

“Hyung! That’s a brilliant idea! Let’s go to the village and get some ingredients for dinner.” Luhan stood up, with Kyungsoo in tow.

“If that doesn’t work, we can always try Plan B: FSA.” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

“Floating Stone Accidents.” Kyungsoo hit him lightly.

“You know, you should be more careful how you use your powers…”

“I know, I know. If I use too much, I’ll drain my life force and–”

“Don’t even say that word. Keep living. Think about Sehun.” Luhan gave a sad smile.

“I will use everything if it means Sehun’s life goes on, even if I won’t be there to spend it with him.”

***Downstairs***

“Guys, Luhan and I will go to the village and buy some food for tonight.”

“Oh, you’re heading out too?” Suho asked.

“Where are you going, hyung?” Kyungsoo asked.

“I’ll be visiting an old friend and bring two of them for you to meet.”

“When will you return?”

“I’ll be back before supper. I won’t be long.” With that, Sehun and Kai stayed home with Chanyeol, while Suho, Kyungsoo and Luhan left.

***Local Market***

Upon arriving at the market, they bought some vegetables, meat, and fruits. Carrying a couple of bags, Luhan and Kyungsoo moved to leave the establishment when a pair of thug-looking people showed up. They blocked the place and took money from the vendors. Kyungsoo and Luhan set their grocery on a nearby table and headed for the pair of hooligans.

“What are you staring at, huh?” He said as he returned Kyungsoo’s glare.

“Stop causing trouble and please leave.”

“You can’t tell me what to do!”

“I just did.”

“You-! I challenge you to a duel!” The man said as he grabbed his anima and she transformed into twin hook swords.

“Kyungsoo, we’ll make this quick so we don’t alert those two, okay?”

“Yes sir.” Kyungsoo transformed into two guns and Luhan held him in crossed arms. As soon as Kyungsoo was settled in his hands, Luhan rushed forward, instantly shooting at the troublemakers. Luhan and Kyungsoo ignored as their souls burned. It was painful. Their marks burned for they were not being with their partners. The man and his anima weren’t able to do anything but evade each bullet. The man picked up a young girl and used her as a shield. Luhan shot three times. One of them turned into a bubble and popped in front of the little girl. She giggled. Distracted by her laughter, the man wasn’t able to evade the bullet. It sent his anima flying off his hands. The battle was over.

“Leave.” Luhan felt his eyes turn red. He immediately threw the guns and on mid-air, Kyungsoo rubbed his burning neck. His mark was glowing. The vendors thanked Luhan and Kyungsoo for driving those people away. 

Luhan and Kyungsoo picked up their grocery. When Kyungsoo turned around, he was startled by someone hugging him tightly. Once he noticed it was Kai, he dropped the bags.

“Jong In?” Kai faced Kyungsoo with worried and shocked eyes.

“You remember me?”

“I never forgot about you.”

“Are you okay? I felt the connection burn.”

“We just encountered a little trouble and we had to team up.” Kyungsoo gestured to Luhan.

“I’m so glad you’re safe. Hey Sehun, Luhan’s fine–? Huh? Where is he?” Kai turned around and saw no one.

They didn’t notice. No one noticed. Sehun tried to hold his tears back but they kept falling. He fought hard to choke back a sob, fearing they might discover him. He had just found out that a wielder could use many animas. He felt this same burning sensation for each of his previous wielders. But that wasn’t the reason he was hurting. Today, he discovered something.

Luhan doesn’t need him. He didn’t need him ever since the beginning.

***Dragon Palace***

Kris and Tao stood in the training arena outside the temple. Yixing was watching from his position near the door. Tao jumped high. Transforming into a spear, Kris secured Tao in his hands and did many stances. Their souls and heartbeats played a continuous melody in sync as they moved together. After a dozen turns and strikes, Kris lets go of Tao and he transforms back into a human. Both of them were slightly sweating. Just then, there was a knock on the door. Before Yixing could get up and move out of the way, it slammed open and Suho came in.

“Hi guys! How are you– Oh my poor Yixing! I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were sitting over there.” Suho said as he helped Yixing get up.

“I’m fine. See?” Suho gave Yixing a big hug before pulling away and facing Kris and Tao.

“How have you been? Is Chen here?”

“We’ve been well. Chen’s inside. Let’s go have some tea.” With that, they entered the temple and settled in the royal room. Suho saw Chen sitting as he was using a fork on a scorpion. From the looks of it, the scorpion was winning…

“Chen-ssi, I need you and Yixing to return with me! I would like you to reconcile with the others.”

“What about us?” Tao asked, poking his head from behind Kris’s seat.

“Remember that it’s still not time yet for all the guardians to meet. We must find the Ice and Light guardian first. Don’t worry. I’ll make sure to get you guys once that is clear. We’ll meet up back at Luhan’s place.”

“Ah yes, the deer prince of the Floating Land… Yes, his place is far bigger than ours.”

***Back at the Inn***

Chanyeol was playing games with Kai, while Kyungsoo was in the kitchen, preparing dinner. Luhan went upstairs to see Sehun. He opens the door to their shared room and finds that Sehun was napping. Luhan looked closer and saw something that made him sad. Sehun cried himself to sleep. He got a slight headache but it was gone the second it came. Ignoring it, he sat on Sehun’s bed and caressed Sehun’s cheeks. Luhan feels strong arms wrap around his waist. He tried moving away, fearing Sehun might get angry when he wakes up. Sehun was still asleep but he was mumbling. Luhan leaned closer.

“Hyung… don’t leave me. I am your anima. You are my wielder. Don’t leave.” Luhan’s eyes gazed lovingly at Sehun’s sleeping face.

“I wouldn’t leave you for the world.” Luhan left a lingering kiss on Sehun’s lips. Just then, he heard Suho call out and he pulls away. He walks to the door and pretends that he was just coming in. Sehun’s eyes open and oddly, feeling better. He gives a small smile in return for Luhan’s grin. Luhan held Sehun’s hand and led his downstairs.

“Suho is back.” They got to the living room and Sehun saw two new faces.

“Guys, meet Yixing, my partner. And this is Chen, the best informant in our world.”

“Yah! How could you not wake me up? I specifically told you to send a unicorn at my place before noon!”

“Oh, I was talking to my angel that time. You woke up didn’t you? That’s good enough for me.” Yixing retorted as he cuddled Suho who was sitting on the couch. Luhan face-palmed.

“Ah, it’s you! Kris-hyung must’ve sent you.”Chanyeol said, pointing out an orange brooch on Chen’s cloak.

“Oh, that’s right! Where is he?” The door opened and Kyungsoo entered the room.

“There you are! Did you reconcile with that kid over there?” Pointing at Kai who was lying on the floor.

“Kai, what are you doing there?”

“Waiting for you to pick me up…” Kyungsoo sighed at his lover’s childish antics. He moved closer to Kai and kissed his right cheek.

“Get up. I need your help, Jong In.” As soon as he said that, he retreated to the kitchen.

“Coming, dear!” Kai shouted. There was suddenly a glass breaking sound heard from the kitchen.

“Stop calling me that!” Echoed Kyungsoo’s embarrassed voice. Within a few moments, Kai and Kyungsoo set up the table and everyone eats. They caught up with each other. Chanyeol and Chen were being their normal noisy selves. Sehun and Luhan were chatting quietly. Suho and Lay were watching everyone and occasionally looking at each other. Kai and Kyungsoo were holding hands. After eating dinner, everyone settled in the living room. All of a sudden, the room grew colder.

“Could it be him?” Suho asked Lay. The door opened and a few flurries of snow rushed in. Luhan hugged Sehun to keep him warm. They all stood still in anticipation, aside from Chen, as a person stepped in. He lifted his hood off, revealing cat-like eyes. The scorpion on Chen’s shoulder tried to get his master’s attention. It points to the man at the door. Almost instantly, Chen stands up and he put his hand near his chest, his heart beating fast and loud.

“Hello. I’m Xiumin. Is the inn open?”