Chapter 9

Delectable Sickness

“I can’t believe you. Today’s Sunday, it’s supposed to be my rest day.” She said folding her arms.

 

“Exactly, and you’re going to your café? It won’t take long, I promise.” He said smiling.

 

“I need to check the supplies. And let me tell you, restaurants and cafes don’t close on Sundays! And lastly, I don’t want to be your chaperon for your date today!” She mocked.

 

“Who said anything about being a chaperon? Here we go.” He said as he parked his car on a vacant space.

 

“You’re meeting your date in a hospital? Let me guess, she’s a psycho…and she got a major crush on you. Right? And you drag me all the way here so you two could talk while I tie her hands to prevent her from knocking your head off! Awww, what a sweet girl! Guess what? I’m going home!” She retorted but Yi Jung ignored her and dragged her all the way inside instead.

 

 

 

All the nurses, staff, and employees in the hospital stared at Yi…stared at Ga Eul the moment she set foot on the hospital. All eyes were locked on her…hand. Being held by one of the TWO most sought after doctors (Ji Hoo’s the other one, haha) in the country, Ga Eul sure is the luckiest girl in the planet. (Or just in their town maybe. ^^)

 

 

 

“Good morning Dr. So…” Joo Hyeon greeted him and stared at Ga Eul.

 

“Morning Joo Hyeon, it’s a very nice day, is it?” Yi Jung smiled widely and they entered the elevator.

 

 

 

In the elevator…

 

 

 

“What do you think this is? A motel? Where you could drag a girl like that? What will they think of you as a doctor?” She scoffed

 

“Okay…I know I owe you an apology. But later…after this. What do they think of me as a doctor? Hmmm…They think…I’m the hottest doctor alive…so you should be thankful, they’ll think you’re beautiful because I’m with you. I don’t date average girls. I dumped who knows how many desperate girls, some of them were even from notable families…but they didn’t even stand a chance. So…lucky you I say.” He smirked as they reach the 9th floor.  

 

“Ya, Dr. So, don’t be so full of yourself. I don’t date conceited brats like you.” She said.

 

 

 

Yi Jung looked at her for a moment.

 

 

“What?” Ga Eul questioned him.

 

“I’m a what? So…you don’t date conceited brats? Tell me, isn’t your EX-BOYFRIEND one of them…or shall I say…one of us too?”

 

“That’s why I dumped him!” She fought back.

 

“Ah-ah Chef Chu, WE dumped him. If it weren’t for us, you’d just stand there and cry by yourself.” He said and made a sad face.

 

“You’re so unbelievable!”

 

“I know…that’s why you like me right?” He smiled and held her hand.

 

“You’re the last person I’d fall in love with. As if I have a choice…” She hissed and followed his lead.

 

 

 

 

Room 908. Kim Soo Yeon.

 

 

“There’s my date…how are you doing jagiya? I got you something.” Yi Jung said and gave the flowers.

 

 

Ga Eul stood there, speechless. In the bed was a little girl, with a missing leg. When Yi Jung gave her the flowers, Ga Eul felt her cheeks burning as she shed a tear.

 

 

“Soo Yeon, meet Ga Eul-sshi. She’s a very good friend of mine.” Yi Jung said as he took the flowers from Soo Yeon and placed it on the bedside table.

 

 

“Hey, what are you standing there? Come in.” Yi Jung pulled her and let her sat on the bed.

 

“Yi Jung…she’s…” She said still staring at her.

 

“Annyong hasseyo, Kim Soo Yeon-imnida.”

 

“Annyong, call me Ga Eul.” She said smiling while sobbing.

 

“She had her kidney transplant here last week. Ji Hoo and I really liked her.” He said and placed his hand on Ga Eul’s shoulder.

 

 

“I…I’m sorry.” Ga Eul uttered. Yi Jung held her hand and just smiled at her.

 

“Don’t be. You didn’t know.” He just smiled.

 

“Can I call you unnie?” Soo Yeon asked.

 

“Ehh? What? Oh…of course, you can Soo Yeon.” She said and held her hand.

 

“Are you Dr. So’s girlfriend?” Soo Yeon asked.

 

“Ehh? What? No…no, we’re just friends.” Ga Eul said.

 

“You want her to be my girlfriend Soo Yeon?” Yi Jung giggled.

 

“You’re so beautiful unnie…your hands are so soft unnie…” Soo Yeon said.

 

“Yes she’s beautiful Soo Yeon and she’s really a very good cook.” Yi Jung said.

 

“Really? Wow… No wonder oppa likes you.” She said.

 

“Aww, just a piece of advice Soo Yeon, don’t believe everything he says.” She smirked.

 

“Trying to blackmail me huh?” Yi Jung said and the door opened revealing a restless Ji Hoo.

 

 

 

He was talking to the nurse when the door opened. Ga Eul stood up and sat on the couch. Yi Jung on the other hand sat next to her.

 

 

“Ga Eul, you’re here. Visiting Soo Yeon? Yi Jung-ah, I’ve got something for you. I guess this is more of a bad news than a good one. We should talk later.” Ji Hoo said and went to check on Soo Yeon.

 

“I’ll be dropping you at your café. Jan Di invited us for dinner. So…call me when you’re done.” Yi Jung.

 

“Okay.” She said.

 

“You okay?” He asked and squeezed her hand.

 

“Yeah. I’m just dizzy.” She said.

 

 

 

 

“Your mom will be here in a short while Soo Yeon, can I borrow Yi Jung and Ga Eul for a while?” Ji Hoo asked.

 

“Sure, it’s nice meeting you unnie. Thanks for visiting me.” She said. Ga Eul gave her a hug before they left the room.

 

 

In the hallway…

 

 

“What is it Ji Hoo?” Yi Jung asked. Ga Eul was busy on the phone…(calling Jan Di)

 

“Here.” Ji Hoo said and handed him an invitation.

 

 

 

Yi Jung looked at it and his face changed into a devastating look.

 

 

“She said to give it to you.” Ji Hoo said.

 

“And she still had the guts to give me this?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“I thought they wed already? She had a ring right?”

 

“That was a civil wedding…so, what is she trying to prove now? She’s trying to make me feel what? By inviting me to her engagement party? Don’t you have any considerations?!” He stared at her picture in the invitation and threw the invitation away.

 

 

 

He then walked out, Ji Hoo didn’t even bothered to follow him. He picked the invitation and walked the opposite direction too. Ga Eul saw him and looked back at Ji Hoo disappearing from view.

 

 

“Jan Di? I’ll call you later. Bye… ya! Yi Jung! Wait!” Ga Eul called after him.

 

 

He didn’t listen and just continued on walking. He closed the elevator before Ga Eul could arrive. Until he reached the parking lot. He was about to open his car when a hand stopped him.

 

 

“Hey…please don’t run away from me like that. I’m not a good runner you know.” Ga Eul said…catching her breath.

 

 

When Yi Jung looked at her, his eyes started to tear up. Ga Eul was still grasping for air when Yi Jung hugged her tightly.

 

 

“How did you do it Ga Eul?”

 

“Ehh? What? Yi Jung…”

 

“How did you forget him so easily when he broke your heart badly?” Yi Jung said. He buried his face on her hair.

 

“You have to be strong…I love myself more Yi Jung. I can’t spend the rest of my life mourning over someone not worth it.”

 

“But it hurts Ga Eul…” he said and hugged her even more tightly.

 

“I know…I spent nights crying over some useless freak. You can cry on me if you want to…but I suggest we should do this at my café. A lot of people are staring at us.” Ga Eul said and Yi Jung let go of her. She took the keys from Yi Jung and opened the door for him.

 

“What are you…” Yi Jung said but Ga Eul cut him with a smack on his lips.

 

“Leave it to me. You want to forget her right?” She winked.

 

 

 

At Ga Eul’s place…

 

 

“Here…drink this.” Ga Eul gave him a cup of tea and sat opposite to him.

 

“I thought you’re not closed on Sundays? Where is your staff?”

 

“We’re closed every first Sunday of the month. I’m just waiting for the stocks to be delivered.” Ga Eul answered.

 

“I see…thanks. I’m sorry for walking away like that, but please don’t think I’m a crybaby or something. I was just…”

 

“Ow!” Ga Eul cried.

 

“What? Sorry, is that your foot?” Yi Jung said and checked on her bruised leg.

 

“It’s nothing. Just a scratch.” Ga Eul said tried to cover it.

 

“Where did you get this?”

 

“I’ll just wash it. Ahh.” She said and stood up.

 

“You clumsy lady, where did you get this?!” He asked again.

 

“I told you to not run away from me like that. Can’t you see these heels I’m wearing? You even closed the elevator on me! I had to take the stairs. Nevermind, it’s just a scratch.” She said and pushed his hands away.

 

“Ya, I’m a doctor. And don’t you ever move a muscle! Wait for me here.” Yi Jung said and went to…Ga Eul’s kitchen.

 

 

 

 

Ga Eul waited and he came back with a basin with water.

 

 

 

“Where’s your first aid kit?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“I’ll get it.”

 

“I said don’t move! You are so stubborn Ga Eul.” Yi Jung said.

 

“I know, that’s why you like me.” Ga Eul said and chuckled.

 

“What are you? Trying to get back at me huh?” Yi Jung said…and he smiled too.

 

“It’s in the cupboard, before the door.” She instructed.

 

 

 

Yi Jung got the first aid kit. He washed the wound first before applying ointment.

 

 

“Tell me, why did you kiss me?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“Well…they said if you ran out of words to say, you just kiss to cut the conversation.”

 

“So, you kissed me to cut the conversation?”

 

“You stopped talking right? Got in the car without any complains? So yes…”

 

“You’re really one of a kind Ga Eul.” He smiled.

 

“And so are you.” She said.

 

“You know, if you weren’t my bestfriend’s girlfriend’s bestfriend and my bestfriend? I would have dated you.” Yi Jung said.

 

“Good thing I was then.” She answered.