Chapter 17

Delectable Sickness

Jae Kyung and Jan Di assisted Ga Eul and gave her a ride home. She was just stressed out, shocked, that’s all. All she needs is rest. As she lie in her bed, she recalled everything Eun Jae said, but thinking she (Eun Jae) still loves Yi Jung won’t give her any freedom since she’s now married. She sighed but felt a bit relieved at the same time when she realized that she’s not the only one who’s unlucky when it comes to love. She then…fell asleep.*

 

 

It’s been days and Yi Jung and Ga Eul haven’t seen each other…or intentionally didn’t wish to see each other (according to Ga Eul) since their last encounter (full encounter) at the hospital. Yi Jung kept himself busy in the hospital due to the seminar with the surgeons’ association. Ga Eul spent most of her time in her kitchen and in her café, keeping a distance from Jan Di, Jae Kyung and their F4 friends…especially Dr. So Yi Jung.

 

 

Here’s why…

 

(BACK TO *)

 

 

 

FLASHBACK:

 

She then…fell asleep.

 

 

She woke up after an hour long nap. She checked her phone and got a message.

 

 

 

1 NEW MESSAGE: DR. SO

 

 

 

FEELING BETTER?

 

 

She smiled at the thought of him, he really is a very nice friend. He puts others first before himself… wait, let me reply to his message first, she thought.

 

 

Yes, thanks. =)

 

 

I MISSED YOUR COOKING.

 

 

Then drop by tomorrow, I’ll cook you something.

 

 

I WAS THINKING OF THE SAME THING. SEE YOU AT BREAKFAST WIFEY.

 

 

 

T_T What did you just call me?

 

 

WIFEY. YOU’RE MY WIFE, REMEMBER?

 

 

Right, whatever, hubby. >_<

 

 

Yi Jung smiled at her last message. He put his phone back to the table and shut his eyes, falling asleep.

 

 

 

 

THE NEXT DAY….

 

 

 

Ga Eul woke up early and took a bath. Wearing her pink apron, she headed to her favorite part of the house – her kitchen. Opening her fridge, she thought of cooking him something special. She then texted him.

 

 

 

Good morning Dr. So, need to get something, see you at 9. =)

 

 

 

She then headed to the market. Like her café, she always keeps her kitchen full of stocks so that whenever she feels like cooking, like pronto, she won’t be running to the store no more.

 

 

 

Dr. So woke up at the sound of his phone…

 

 

 

2 NEW MESSAGES

 

 

 

One came from Eun Jae and the other from Ga Eul. He immediately opened the one from Ga Eul, he smiled and grabbed his towel when he read her message. Unfortunately, his smile turned to a glare when he read the message coming from Eun Jae.

 

 

 

KWON SOO LEFT FOR FRANCE, I WAS HOPING YOU COULD JOIN ME AT BREAKFAST. YOU KNOW WE HAVE LOTS OF THINGS TO SETTLE. I’LL BE WAITING. –EJ

 

 

 

Dropping his towel, he sat back on his bed. He was thinking whether whose breakfast he’ll be joining, Ga Eul or Eun Jae. Now that he knows Eun Jae still loves him, his heart is starting to mend again, hoping there’s still a chance for their relationship. What he has with Eun Jae was a “broken” relationship while what he has with Ga Eul was a “budding” relationship. He pressed the reply button…

 

 

 

Ga Eul happily strolled around the supermarket looking for some fresh vegetables, meat and fruits. She was thinking of cooking samgyeopsal, but since she said she’ll cook something really special, she decided to cook ogyeopsal (5 layered meat) with some creamy dipping sauce too. She shopped for sangchu (lettuce), kkaennip (perilla leaves), green chili peppers, garlic and some onions. She was already at the counter to pay when she received a phone call.

 

 

 

“Yoboseyo? Dr. So, I’m cooking you something special so make sure you come or else…oh, really? Araso, araso, see you next time then. No, it’s totally fine, I haven’t cooked anything yet. Okay, bye.” She said and ended the call. She sighed.

 

 

 

She paid 17, 400 KRW only for today’s breakfast…supposedly. But then, there must be a good reason behind why he can’t join her for breakfast. She settled all her groceries in her car, fastening her seatbelt, she decided to just have coffee for breakfast and went straight to her café.

 

 

 

Walking straight to the kitchen, Eun Sung and Jin Hee sensed that their boss must be having a bad hair day.

 

 

 

“I bet this has something to do with that mister.” Eun Sung said.

 

 

“Hmmm, I think so too, I wonder what happened in Macau.” Jin Hee said. They just met now after Ga Eul left two weeks ago for Macau. She didn’t even bother to greet or smile at them.

 

 

“Whatever it is, I want to know.” Eun Sung winked and followed Ga Eul to the kitchen.

 

 

“Stay out of it Eun Sung, you might…ah, Good morning ma’am, table for two?” Jin Hee greeted the customer.

 

 

 

“Yes please.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ya, Chef Chu, what are you cooking, we don’t have an order yet. I just finished cooking the last dish, and it’s 3 hours yet before lunch strikes, cooking in advance will spoil the food before it gets ordered. You hungry? I’ll cook for you.” Eun Sung said.

 

 

“I guess so, haven’t eaten anything yet.” Ga Eul uttered without looking at him and continued to chop some onions.

 

 

 

Yi Jung on the other hand, fixed his hair before getting his car keys. He then headed to his car and revved up the engine. Before he could leave, his phone bleeped.

 

 

 

“Yobosaeyo?”

 

 

“Where are you?” on the other line.

 

 

“I’m on my way, where did you say we are meeting?” Yi Jung asked. His eyes widen when he heard her answer.

 

 

 

“Muo?? You’re there already?” He asked again.

 

 

“Yes, I heard the food’s really good. Hurry up.” And with that, she ended the call.

 

 

“Of course the food’s really good, she’s the cook!” He exclaimed and drove.

 

 

 

 

Yi Jung arrived and good thing there were many customers already in the place, another good thing, was that it wasn’t Jin Hee who assisted them that time, but another waiter who wasn’t familiar with him. He knows Ga Eul would be disappointed, really disappointed if she found out he turned down her offer to be with Eun Jae after she (Ga Eul) told him the truth. He kept a very low profile, always looking outside the window, covering his face with his hands and covering his face with his bangs.

 

 

 

“Hey, are you okay? You seem… tongue-tied.” Eun Jae said.

 

 

“I’m fine…you were saying?” Yi Jung said.

 

 

“Well, I really didn’t know what to do that time but…” then her voice seemed to fade away when he saw Ga Eul bringing a large box through the window.

 

 

 

SNAP. SNAP. Eun Jae snapped her fingers in front of him.

 

 

 

“Earth to Yi Jung, hey, you sure you’re okay?” Eun Jae said.

 

 

“Yes, I’m really fine. The food is great…ehh, right?”

 

 

“Yeah…well, I think we should talk about it some other time. Let’s go?” Eun Jae said and they left.

 

 

 

Outside the café…

 

 

“Yi Jung…” Eun Jae called after him. He faced her.

 

 

“I’m sorry, I really wasn’t myself today, don’t know why, jetlag, maybe?” He half smiled, but then she smiled too, so they chuckled together. Unhesitatingly, Eun Jae hugged him and gave him a hug.

 

 

 

“I missed you so much. Mian.” She said.

 

 

“It’s over…it happened. Past is past. Let’s just-“ and she kissed him…on his lips.

 

 

 

At the back of the café, Ga Eul was alone….peeling potatoes. According to her, this was the best way to release some anger. Why is she angry in the first place? Disappointed, could be…but angry? Hmmm…

 

 

 

“This could be the perfect time to discuss everything between us…as friends, I mean… I haven’t talked to you about what I meant the other day th…ouch!” She dropped the knife and the potato. She quickly secluded the potato she was peeling from the other potatoes and decided to wash her hands. She stopped walking and backed off a few steps when she saw what she didn’t wish she was seeing at the moment.

 

 

 

Her best friend…and husband (fake) Dr. So Yi Jung and Eun Jae, kissing, at the side park of her café.

 

 

 

She wasn’t looking when she continued to walk backwards and tripped over a stone, causing a loud clash when she pulls the basin with water with her. She was wet all over. Yi Jung and Eun Jae got cut with the loud bang. Yi Jung, automatically, went and left Eun Jae to help the girl when he realized it was Ga Eul.

 

 

 

 

“Ga Eul-ah, gwenchana?” He asked, pulling her up.

 

 

 

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” Then she felt pain on her pelvic area.

 

 

“Let me take you home.” Yi Jung offered.

 

 

“No, no, you have an important meeting right? I’ll just…see you next time. Say Hi to Eun Jae for me. Bye.” She said in snap and hurriedly left before the pain could worsen.

 

 

 

Yi Jung sighed and looked at her as she disappeared from his view. On the ground, was a silver anklet. He picked it up knowing it belongs to her, he placed it in his pocket and left…with Eun Jae.