Chapter 9

Racing for hearts

 

After grandma Park's visit, Chanyeol's mood became even worse. He had been restless ever since and grumpy to whoever came as close as one meter away from him. He snapped at his co-workers and didn't even bother to show up for any meetings or parties. When this was pointed out to him, Chanyeol didn't bother to talk back and defend himself. Everything that had happened to Chanyeol could be summed up in one word: lifeless. Yes, Chanyeol had been lifeless since the day Baekhyun had decided to step out of his life. It was as if the latter had taken away the one thing in his life that should actually keep him alive.

Everything around him reminded him of Baekhyun. And it drove Chanyeol downright to craziness. The life he was leading suddenly became grey and he saw nothing amusing anymore. His grandma was so worried, she demanded Chanyeol's grandpa to give back Chanyeol's car. How she found out  what the old man did, no one actually knew. But, even when he his car was presented back to him, his baby couldn't cheer him up.

"Why did you have to take the car away?," grandma Park demanded, glaring at the now meekly looking old man.

"It was just so Chanyeol could stop racing," grandpa Park replied, pretending to look as innocent as he could.

Both grandparents thought it was a good idea to visit their grandson, since words had reached them that their grandson wasn't doing too well at the company and they requested personally for the lad to take a short absence of leave. Hopefully that way they could do their work in peace and their boss could settle whatever has been bothering his heart the last couple of weeks.

"Well, if you had listened to me, then my baby Chanyeol wouldn't have to suffer like this," grandma Park huffed as she pointed at her grandson who was currently staring off in space while lying down on the couch.

"I didn't think it could be that bad. I mean... it's just a car!," grandpa Park defended himself.

A venomous glare was sent to him and he ducked his head, biting his lower lip in fright. He should've thought better than to awaken his wife's wrath. Maybe he should just tell the truth what he'd been keeping from everyone. But, then again he really wanted his grandson to grow up and learn to face the harsh world. The boy could not stay like that and pour his life into racing all the time! There are new things the boy should learn and experience. The boy should meet new things in life and not hide behind cars as if there is nothing better than racing! Why couldn't anyone understand his logic?

"I'll go talk to him then. Maybe he can change his mind," grandpa Park finally opted.

"You better,"

And with that, grandma Park the back of her heels and left to go to the kitchen. Maybe baking something sweet would cheer her grandson. She hadn't done that for a long time and she really thought Chanyeol could need something like a sweet home made pie.

 

"Chanyeol ah... can grandpa talk to you?," grandpa Park started as he settled down carefully on a one person couch on the left side. No answer. Chanyeol didn't even spare him one glance. Grandpa Park sighed in defeat. The lad was going to be stubborn. Thus so be it. Poking Chanyeol with his walking stick, grandpa Park decided to at least try and make the other know that he was at present. Seeing no response again, grandpa Park slowly started to get agitated.

"Yah! Park Chanyeol! Show some respect to your elder," grandpa Park demanded harshly.

Finally something flickered in Chanyeol's lifeless eyes. He slowly got up in a sitting position and waited for whatever his grandpa wanted to say to him. He really didn't feel like talking to anyone, not even his grandpa. But, he had no choice. His grandpa was his senior and he had to show respect. The old man had raised him after all.

"Why are you being like this?," grandpa Park asked.

"What do you mean?," Chanyeol still asked, even though he knew what the other meant.

"You know what I mean. I didn't think taking away your car would make you like... this... Never thought your car had such an impact on you," grandpa Park remarked.

"You won't understand, grandpa," Chanyeol sighed out.

"Well, try me," grandpa Park said.

Chanyeol fell silent. He didn't want to talk to his grandpa about his feelings. His grandpa was not going to understand nor was his grandpa going to approve. This was too big of a secret Chanyeol had to keep for himself. Until he had found the other and confessed everything and maybe settle down, then he might tell his grandpa about it.

"I have to sort out my thoughts first, grandpa," Chanyeol finally decided to say and before the old man could say anything, Chanyeol got up from the couch and left the house.

He ignored his grandpa's call to him as he slammed the door behind him. He needed somewhere he could think. Somewhere he could sort out everything. Somewhere nobody could disturb his thinking. And maybe a listening ear as well and there was someone he actually knew very well, who was quite good at helping him.

 

"The number you are calling is currently-."

 

Chanyeol groaned in frustration as he took another sip of his soju. He had tried calling his only friend several times already, whom he knew could help him or at least try help him, but luck just wasn't on his side recently. After the umpteenth time of trying to call his friend, he decided to just settle down with a text message, hoping the other would reply soon.

Just when he thought he'd find a solution to his problem, the solution didn't want to show up and help him out of his misery. So, Chanyeol decided to reach out for the easiest way of helping him out of his pain. Drinking. He ordered another drink and threw back every glass one by one, until nothing was left.

"Yah! Park Chanyeol! What are you think you're doing?," a deep, angry voice boomed from behind the already drunken lad.

"Ooh... you finally... *hiccup*... came... *hiccup*," Chanyeol gave a goofy smile as he threw his whole body onto his tall friend, Kris Wu. 

Luckily, Kris was strong enough to keep both of them from falling down. He heaved Chanyeol up to position him in a better angle and dragged Chanyeol away. The other reeked of alcohol and Kris pulled a face in distaste. A series of jibberish was then thrown into his face and Kris was totally not amused with it. He really needed to get Chanyeol out of there. A good twenty minutes passed and Kris was found hauling Chanyeol out of his car and dragging the drunken lad into his own house.

Once he had settled Chanyeol down on a bed, he took off the other's shoes and clothes. Kris simply shook his head in pity. He'd never seen Chanyeol this drunk. His friend had never gone that far as to go drink alcohol, not even when the hottest girl in middleschool rejected him. What actually made Chanyeol become like this? 

Ever since they came back from his private island, Chanyeol hadn't been himself and Kris started to worry about the latter. It wasn't usually his thing to worry about someone, but since he'd met his other half, he had learned how to care for his friends even more. Not that he never worried about them or anything. It was just, he never showed his emotions in the first place. But this time, Kris had learned to express himself a little bit more and that was why the moment he got Chanyeol's text, he hurried out of his meeting to find the other in a drunken state.

"Is he going to be okay?," Tao asked quietly.

Kris snapped his head to the source of the voice and motioned for the other to enter. Tao obliged and came to a stop next to Kris. The taller one threw an arm around his waist and nudged the other affectionately on the nose. Tao leaned in closer to the touch almost automatically.

"He will. He just need to sleep and rest," Kris said.

Hearing a moan and mutterings, both Kris and Tao stopped to look at the sleeping figure. Chanyeol had a unhappy look adorn his face and both Kris and Tao started to worry. It was only when Chanyeol started to mutter something, both boys closed the gap between them and the bed.

"Baek... hyun...," a pause. "Why... did you... leave... me?,"

 

Kris frowned. A lover's quarrel? Heartbreak? He didn't know. He covered his friend with the blanket when Tao picked up a phone and finally nudged Kris on the arm. A silent agreement was made and both boys looked through the phone to try find something that might give off as a clue why their friend was acting like that. Checking on the contactlist, both Kris and Tao blinked at a certain contact called 'puppy'.

"Who in the world would call someone 'puppy'?," Tao wondered out loud as he looked at Kris who gave a short shrug.

"Let's try and call," Tao suggested.

After a few rings, they finally gave up. Their tries were fruitless. The person on the other side of the phone never picked up. It was as if the call didn't want to be answered at all. And they were back to wondering why Chanyeol would be in a drunken state and why there were lots of texts coming from a certain 'puppy'.

"Maybe we should try call with a different number. It seems like this puppy never replied Chanyeol hyung," Tao opted. "Who knows, he might respond to an unknown number,"

"Alright... let's try out then,"

Kris took out his phone and waited for the owner to pick up. After the third ring, he was about to give up but stopped when he heard a tired 'hello' from the other side. This was going to be very interesting, Kris thought to himself. There was something going on between his friend and this puppy and Kris was going to get to the bottom of it.

"Can I help you?," the other asked.

"Uh... yes... I am Chanyeol's friend, Kris. Are you free tonight? Can we meet up somewhere?," A pause. "Alright. The bubble tea shop it is then,"

"Let's go," Kris said after he disconnected the call and pulled Tao along.

 

It didn't take too long for them to reach their destination nor did it take long for them to find the one they were looking for. Both were met by a tired looking short lad, wearing black trousers and a white shirt. On top of the table was a neatly folded black apron. The other must've just finished working and too tired to go home and change.

"Ahem,"

The short lad looked up from his position and for a moment, all three made eye contact. Then he quickly got up from his seat and bowed respectfully. Short introductions were exchanged and finally all three sat down, sipping on their drinks. Nobody dared to say one word, but eventually someone had to start somewhere and Baekhyun decided he should take the first step.

"So... what is it you guys want from me?," Baekhyun asked warily.

"We'd like to know what your relationship is with our friend, Chanyeol and maybe you might know the answer to why we find our friend all drunk and asking for you," Kris commented, his eyes never leaving the shorter lad.

Baekhyun's heart started thumping fast. Was it really true? Was Chanyeol still thinking of him? It couldn't be. They hadn't seen or met each other for quite a while already and Baekhyun was sure the other had long forgotten about him. But, if these two are really friends of Chanyeol, they wouldn't lie to him would they? Besides, what good would they gain from lying to him? It wasn't as if he was rich so they could take advantage of him or anything. 

"Uhm... let's just start at the beginning then," Baekhyun decided to tell the two, since they asked nicely.

He started from the very first time he and Chanyeol met by accident during a run from the police. Back then, they didn't actually know each other's names. They happened to have taken the wrong phone and from there, everything led from one thing to the other. Baekhyun told them how Chanyeol had offered the deal and how Baekhyun accepted in exchange for something. He told them how he and Chanyeol would go meet others as a couple whenever Park senior requested for them to make their appearance, even if it was just at Chanyeol's home.  He did leave some parts away, since they were too personal for him and needn't be shared with anyone, not even with Chanyeol's friends.

After Baekhyun finished his story, both Kris and Tao sat quiet, watching the other looking all crestfallen. The boy in front of them was in so much pain and probably going through the same pain as Chanyeol, without himself knowing. If only both of them could realize what the other was going through, but Kris and Tao knew better.

"Why don't you try talk to him?," Tao asked.

"I am... actually forbidden to come near him. And besides, there is nothing to talk to him about. It's over already. He has what he wanted and me too. Case closed," Baekhyun shrugged carelessly.

"But did you actually ask him about how he actually feels?," Kris pressed on.

Baekhyun shook his head. He wasn't going to ask, knowing Chanyeol would just reject him. All Chanyeol cared about was his car and nothing or nobody else. Not even him, Baekhyun thought.

"Well, let me tell you this... our friend is in a great deal of pain and you are the cause of it. I don't want my friend to be like this, so you better hurry and clear things up," Kris demanded.

Baekhyun looked up surprised at the other's order. Before he could say anything, both Kris and Tao got up from their seat and were ready to leave Baekhyun alone. He quickly got up and grabbed onto the nearest arm he could find, which happened to be Tao's. Both tall lads stopped walking and waited for whatever Baekhyun was about to say.

"Is it true?," Baekhyun started. "That I... am the cause...,"

"Look... we don't really know what really happened between you two aside from the story you'd just told us. All we know is that Chanyeol might have changed his thoughts on only caring about his car. Pay him a visit and make something out of it. Chanyeol is really hurting and we don't want to see our friend like that. We can't help him this time," Tao explained with a small smile as he patted Baekhyun's smaller hand on his wrist.

As both Kris and Tao left, Baekhyun thought it was maybe time he should confront the other and tell the other was had been going on through his head all the time. He should tell the other about everything that had gone wrong since day one. He couldn't go on like this forever. He knew running away from his problems would not bring him anywhere. And it even prevented him from going on with his life. It was best just to clear up everything and go on with his life whether or not the other accepted him. He'd already set his mind on letting the other go. They could just be friends and Baekhyun should be happy about that.

 

Chanyeol groaned in pain the moment his mind forced him to come back to the world of the living. What in the world happened? Why did he have such an agonizing headache? It was as if someone had hit him hard with an iron rod. He could really use some painkillers now. He carefully rubbed his pounding head with the back of his hand as he tried to get up from his sleeping position.

"You are up, finally. Here, drink this... it'll help lessen the pain,"

Chanyeol looked at the sudden familiar voice of his childhood friend. A glass of water and medicine was placed on the nightstand next to the bed and he gladly took his friend's advice.

"What were you thinking, Chanyeol? Drinking like that," Kris reprimanded.

"I don't know... I guess I was... desperate," Chanyeol answered not looking at the angry eyes of his best friend.

"Then you should've just come over and not drink at the pub,"

"I know... I am sorry,"

"Don't apologize to me. You should get a hold of yourself. If something happened to you, both your grandparents are going to kill me, you know that?," Kris said, crossing his arms while looking down at Chanyeol.

"I know,"

Silence erupted and Kris finally saw something glistening on Chanyeol's cheek. His friend was crying! Kris blinked at the latter. He had never seen Chanyeol cry except when they were little kids and someone pushed him off the swing. This was really bad. And Kris was not good at comforting someone who lets emotion flow out their body. So, he his heels to look for someone who was better at comforting than him. Tao.

It took Tao only a few seconds to control the crying giant and Kris was once again awed at how awesome work Tao had done. He really gave Tao credit for being a comforter in any drama position they were in. When Chanyeol had finally calmed down and thanked them for being there for him, Kris ordered his chef to bake something good to eat. Once Kris and Tao had made sure the other was back to himself, they finally let Chanyeol go home. The other needed to report back to the company, but he needed to take a shower first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------

A/N:

Yess!! Another update! A gift to all my precious readers. Hope you guys like the gift <3.

I am close to ending this story! Yay! Yay! Yay! Look forward to the ending of the story. I hope you guys still like the story and look forward to the ending of this fanfic of mine.

Please do upvote and subscribe. Thank you all for reading and commenting. Love you guys!

Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy reading this fic :)

 

ps. Please don't mind any typos or wrong grammar and stuff. My mind isn't working that well since I am coming down with the flu. And it just had to be on Christmas that I have to get sick. Urgh!