Noticed

Shadow [SuChen Version]// [HIATUS]
Chen can't help but read it again before getting another message.
 
'Well, are you coming? I swear, you're so useless. If I find you doing anything other than rotting I'm going to get rid of that reason forever.'
 
Alarmed, Chen looks up at Suho and listens to his voice for one last time before silently standing up, leaving to head back to his apartment, getting ready in a hurry. It's almost as if it's a new person. His hair is in order, neat, polished. He's wearing casual business attire. He slides his wallet and keys into his pocket before quickly taking off down the stairs and out of the apartment building where a black car was parked, waiting for him. The man standing in front opens the door and bows. 
 
"Sir." He nods his head in recognition and continues in, sitting in the back and stares out the window as the car moves along. 
 
"Chen, how have you been? I feel like it's been ages since I've seen your face." The older man smiles back at him through his rearview mirror. 
 
The boy lets a small, fake smile appear on his face and answers the elder respectfully and softly, "I've been okay. Thank you. And it has been some time Mr. Cho." And with that he turns his head towards the window. 
 
A shadow is a puppet of it's owner. A puppet has strings that the master pulls and thus devoids such puppet of any rights. To Chen, he was just that. A shadow. Devoid of meaning. Useless except for show. Why did he exist? The car pulls in front of a large brick house, a garden is displayed in the front with a small path that parts the garden leading to the front door. All of the house displayed the essence of prim, proper, perfect. He sighs as he steps out of the car and walks along the path stopping hesitantly in front of the door before ringing the doorbell. Through the door he can hear talking between multiple individuals when suddenly he hears the door opening. A woman stands there. Her hair in a medium length bob, ever hair seems to be like plastic - never moving, just perfect. The necklace of diamonds around her neck is obnoxiously bright for the boy's eyes and thus he has to try not to look away rudely from the woman in front of him. A low, aggravated whisper comes out of the older woman's mouth. 
 
"Look who decided to show up. Wanted a break from the rat's nest I see?"
 
Chen took a second to compose himself before smiling. 
 
"Well Stepmother, I thought since my father was going to be home today I should show up. Is he still here?"
 
The elder woman's face turned into a snarl, a malicious and evil contorted face of a demon that Chen knew was behind the ugly mask of a woman. Suddenly, he heard the voice of the caring father he know, coming closer as if walking towards the door.
 
"Is that my son?"
 
An older man in a dress shirt and dress pants steps forward, his appearance is also seemingly perfect except for a few gray hairs. He moves toward the younger boy and leads him inside. 
 
"Chen! I've missed you my son!"
 
"How I've missed you too father." 
 
An embrace, a loving and warm yet firm embrace. Something Chen isn't used to. Following the embrace was a firm handshake between men. The house and the family inside is perfect and as he looks over his father's shoulder he sees multiple people. 
 
His siblings. A step brother and step sister along with a young woman. She looked to be his age and in a well tailered, fitted dress. Who is she here for? Who's shadow is she to be?
 
Chen lets a deceptive smile on his face. "I don't mean to seem rude father but may I ask who this is?"
 
The girl stands up politely and places a smile on her face as she walks over. His father pulls away to lead her over. 
 
"Yes dear. Who is this lovely girl?" The evil witch of a woman stepped up further to get a better view. 
 
His father bursted into a smile when he said the words of doom. "Well Chen. Her name is Kang DoHee. I've been looking into arranging a marriage between both of you and would like for you two to meet. Furthermore," He pauses before continuing. "I'd like for you to pursue a relationship with her Chen. I'd also like for you to go to school to be a doctor. I've already set you up. Mr. Cho will pick you up on Monday to take you there. "
 
Crashing.
Crumbling.
Devastated. 
 
Why do this to me?
 
Is this what Alice felt like when she fell down the rabbit hole? Hopeless, helpess, confused?
 
"A-ah." He tried to remain calm but felt the darkness crawling in towards him again. He clears his throat briefly to hide his panice. "Actually, father. I have to go. I forgot that I... had a friend who really needs some support right now. So, um." He felt himself receding, he had to end this fast. "It was nice seeing you father." Chen patted the older man on the back lightly before bowing and running away, like Cinderella running from the ball. 
 
Running away from the part of him that used to be what they are. Perfect. 
 
He finds himself upon a playground in a park and walks over to the swing. Sitting down on it, he thinks and yet the only thing he knows how to do right now is sing. Tentatively, he looks around to make sure he's alone before cloign his eyes and letting a sweet melody come out of his mouth. 
 
The appealling melodious and soulful sound of the boy's voice floats along the wind as the sun starts to set. His song seems strangely lonely and sad but even more so once the darkness of night starts to blanket over the world. He continues, letting out his worries and feelings. In fact, it's almost therapeudic for the boy. Letting himself let go, no one to judge him. 
 
"You have an amazing voice."
 
Suddenly, white chocolate. Rich. Sweet. With smoothness and texture. He opens his eyes to see Suho looking right at him.
 
That's right. 
He's looking.
At him.
His eyes widen. 
His stomach flips. 
What is this feeling?
Is it normal?
 
He looks into the eyes of the man in front of him before quickly standing up, turning his gaze to ground. Suho's gaze, albeit soft, was intense and Chen knew he couldn't handle it right now. All he could think was that he had to leave. 
 
"I'm sorry. I'm just about to leave. Have a nice evening. "
 
"No, no." Suho moves forward and rests his hand on the younger boy's shoulder.
 
Heart stops.
Airway is blocked.
A rippling effect plays along his skin. 
Warmth flushes his face. 
 
"Please don't leave. I want to get to know you. You have a great voice. May I know your name?"
 
Stunned, shocked. He blankly stares. But reality sets in again. He sees him. Suho sees him, Chen. But. 
 
What he sees is a shadow. 
 
Don't look at me. 
 
Pulling away he quickly says his adieus before running off, away from the playground and away from the man of light that he admires so much. 
 
The morning after he went back into his normal routines and normal ways. 
 
Dark room. Sloth-like movements. Bundled in large clothes, most notably sweaters. Hair is wavy, messy, frizzy. This is the Chen he knows. The one he's familiar with. The shadow that's in the dark. Shadow aren't meant to be seen by the light. Right? He sighs and moves on deciding to go out for a walk today. 
 
He descends down the stairs and sees a familiar figure walking across the complex's doorframe and stays back, alarmed. What if, by chance, Suho sees him? What if he remembers him?
 
Maybe I should say... hi...
 
But yet, that's unlike Chen and he knows it. Slowly he recides and heads back to his room where he hides for the weekend. 
 
Monday comes - time for him to go to University per his father's order. he wasn't ready for it - he knows that. But he also knows that it's what his father wants. He wasn't going to deny his father that. The father that has always taken care of him. Chen gets ready, once again like the puppet he knows he is. 
 
He checks out his window just in time to see Mr. Cho pulling up in front of the complex. Quickly he makes his way downstairs, avoiding any eye contact with any of his neighbores, and moves to the car. But suddenly he bumps into summon. Blinking, he apologizes immediately as he's shocked and alarmed, flustered. 
 
"It's fine. I'm sorry as well." White chocolate.  Even more alarmed now, Chen looks over to see Suho who smiles at him. Chen stares. Suho look polished but casual. The charming smile on his face made a fuzzy feeling start to form in the boy's chest. He looks closer to see a backpack slouched over the man's shoulder. Not wanting to seem rude he ceases his staring and speaks up slightly. 
 
"You're a student?"
"Yeah." 
 
God, that smile.
 
The man continues. "I'm going into the medical field."
"Really? Me too."
 
"Sir, we'll be late." Mr. Cho had intervened and now looked at his young master. 
 
"Oh. I'll be late too if I don't catch this b-"
 
Chen cuts in before even thinking. "Come with me."
 
"What?"
 
"Come with me. Please. We're going to the same place according to your bag. " He smiles - trying to be convincing. It must have worked because the man in fron tof him smiles whilst 
nodding his head.
 
"I give you my thanks. " Suho steps into the black car, taking a seat with Chen following suit. 
 
The car ride seemed so long but yet so short. All Chen could do was look at the wonderful  man in front of him. Suddenly, the words spoken next spreaded alarm and panic within Chen who wanted to hide himself in the seat and moreso in the comfort of his dark room. 
 
"I'm sorry, but are you not the same man I met at the playground?" The man's smile widens, almost blinding poor Chen. "It must be fate. I wanted to meet you again. My name is Suho. What is yours?"
 
Tentatively, nervously he speaks up. 
 
"Chen, it's Chen"
 
He was noticed.